Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:look for Florida State to hire a minority Coach, no matter how bad he is...
:roll:
roll the eyes all ya want...but I will be very surprised if a 'minority" is not hired...I may be wrong, but then again I may be right..and no matter who is hired, I wish them all the best...
I still don’t understand this line of reasoning. Sumlin and Taggart are two of the best coaches on the market point blank, so it’s unclear why there’s a need to reference their racial background.
'zombie...unless i misread the article, the FSU President stated he wanted a "minority" as the next HC...I do not think Sumlin is that good..Taggert could be the answer...but a minority hire could be someone with an Hispanic background..thus Fuentes...David Shaw is not leaving Stanford and James Franklin is not leaving Penn State...the margin for error, under his guideline, is very fine based on the number of minority Head Coaches or ex HC's available...memo to FSU...Curtis Johnson, may be available
Chris Scelfo is a Cajun, and he is still available? And, he will agree to 350k a year and "promise to stay." :P

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
wave97 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:LSU would love it for Les to get the Tennessee job. They’d be off the hook for close to $8 milllion of his buyout. So whatever Tennessee pays Les, LSU will deduct from their payment to him.
That is one hell of a good way for Les Miles to attract a quality staff. Allocate several hundred thousand to the assistant coaches and a million or two to each coordinator. No skin off his nose.
Yes. Could really work well.
Gus is staying at Auburn...so Arkansas is still open
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Hud canned at ULL

I didn't see that coming....
Should have. We have a new AD who's serious and the president is letting him do his job.
This has nothing to do with having a new AD that's serious and everything to do with Hud not producing any more.
Look for ULL to make a move for Tim Rebowe at Nichols St He turned that program around and was an assistant at ULL before going to Nichols
Show Me
Tsunami

chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

Should have. We have a new AD who's serious and the president is letting him do his job.
This has nothing to do with having a new AD that's serious and everything to do with Hud not producing any more.
Look for ULL to make a move for Tim Rebowe at Nichols St He turned that program around and was an assistant at ULL before going to Nichols
Yes but the Cajun expert on here said he’s not a big enough name. :roll:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

he did not have many wins this season but his team was very competitive in most games, Matt Viator from ULM, who had a great deal of success at McNeese St
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:When Fritz get's this thing turned around, I think we can keep him--it will just take a big check. If he wants security, he can't find a better place than Tulane. If he competes for the AAC championship periodically, and gets us into a bowl game in most years, we will be building statues to him while he's still here. If he and his wife likes living in N.O., there couldn't be a better place for a guy his age. He could become the Bill Snyder of Tulane, and coach into his 80's. If he goes to a P5 school, he won't last five years--like most coaches don't. Jimbo Fisher won't last more than five years at aTm, as aTm will always struggle in the SEC just like Arkansas and Mizzou always will.
Mizzou won the SEC east in 2 out of their first 3 years...
Yes, and aTm did well their first couple years in the SEC (thanks to Johnny Football), but they are both reverting back to their mean now.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Ruski
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:
Ruski wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:When Fritz get's this thing turned around, I think we can keep him--it will just take a big check. If he wants security, he can't find a better place than Tulane. If he competes for the AAC championship periodically, and gets us into a bowl game in most years, we will be building statues to him while he's still here. If he and his wife likes living in N.O., there couldn't be a better place for a guy his age. He could become the Bill Snyder of Tulane, and coach into his 80's. If he goes to a P5 school, he won't last five years--like most coaches don't. Jimbo Fisher won't last more than five years at aTm, as aTm will always struggle in the SEC just like Arkansas and Mizzou always will.
Mizzou won the SEC east in 2 out of their first 3 years...
Yes, and aTm did well their first couple years in the SEC (thanks to Johnny Football), but they are both reverting back to their mean now.
Reverting to 6 wins in a row...

(Dont really care that much but too many family/friends attended to not defend them)
Ruski
Swell

Rumors of Kevin Sumlin to UCF. Orlando always having to one up Tampa. That'd be a damn good hire.

Seriously USF/UCF impressing and pushing AAC into a power conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:Rumors of Kevin Sumlin to UCF. Orlando always having to one up Tampa. That'd be a damn good hire.

Sumlin to UCF...take out the three wins per year against the Southland, Sun Belt and C-USA and Sumlin was nothing more than a .500 Coach at A&M

After the first two years at A&M is was a downward spiral, that started when he had to use "His' players...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... yOVaR6vC1v
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Ruski wrote:Rumors of Kevin Sumlin to UCF. Orlando always having to one up Tampa. That'd be a damn good hire.

Sumlin to UCF...take out the three wins per year against the Southland, Sun Belt and C-USA and Sumlin was nothing more than a .500 Coach at A&M

After the first two years at A&M is was a downward spiral, that started when he had to use "His' players...
Take out 3 wins per year against the Southland, Sun Belt, and C-USA and most everyone in SEC is nothing more than .500.

Say what you will but Sumlin won 26 SEC games in 5 years. 5 wins in conference plus a 2/3 OOC wins every year is solid. UCF seems very serious about their athletics, Sumlin in FL with the full support of one of the countries biggest schools could be very dangerous.
netshorty
Surge

Ruski wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Take out 3 wins per year against the Southland, Sun Belt, and C-USA and most everyone in SEC is nothing more than .500.

Say what you will but Sumlin won 26 SEC games in 5 years. 5 wins in conference plus a 2/3 OOC wins every year is solid. UCF seems very serious about their athletics, Sumlin in FL with the full support of one of the countries biggest schools could be very dangerous.
I think Sumlin's 35-17 record (includng 11-1 his 4th season with 100% his own players) at Houston is proof he can be effective in AAC. Agree with those that think UCF should continue it's winning ways.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

To provide context, Sumlin is the #5 coach in Texas A&M history, as, for one reason or another, Texas A&M has consistently underperformed.
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:To provide context, Sumlin is the #5 coach in Texas A&M history, as, for one reason or another, Texas A&M has consistently underperformed.
And he got them to their highest ranking ever.
Wave755
Tsunami

chain gang x man wrote: Look for ULL to make a move for Tim Rebowe at Nichols St He turned that program around and was an assistant at ULL before going to Nichols
But on September 23rd Nicholls State did lose to Sam Houston State 66 to 17? So to say the least, more than somewhat similar to Appy State's blowout of ULALA 63 to 14 on Saturday?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:To provide context, Sumlin is the #5 coach in Texas A&M history, as, for one reason or another, Texas A&M has consistently underperformed.

comparing schedules / W & L's of today with Coaches of say 30 to 40 years ago is somewhat confusing...at one time the limit was 10 games and if you were lucky to be one of 12 teams a bowl bid....now they all play 12 games and almost everyone with a pulse goes to a bowl...so in 5 years you actually play a Coach from "back in the day" a complete an extra full season's worth of games, so it is very easy to move up the ladder of W's in a Schools career mark. I realize Texas A&M is located in a wasteland, devoid of any football talent within easy driving distance, and lacks facilities that would lend to success on the field of play... I guess Jimbo did not visit the campus before signing his contract
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Take away games against non-P5 schools and there would be a lot of P5s sitting home not going bowling. I think a lot of them play the smoke and mirrors thing. Get 3 OOC wins, split your conf every year and you're 7-5. Win the bowl game every other year and some years your 8-5, some 7-6. That's how I would describe half the P5s in the country. In truth they're really no better than a good portion of the G5s.

In fact, we'll find out in a few weeks because 3 of the 4 P5s the AAC plays in bowls fit exactly that category. Virginia (6-6,3-5), Texas Tech (6-6,3-6) and Iowa State (7-5,5-4)
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Take away games against non-P5 schools and there would be a lot of P5s sitting home not going bowling. I think a lot of them play the smoke and mirrors thing. Get 3 OOC wins, split your conf every year and you're 7-5. Win the bowl game every other year and some years your 8-5, some 7-6. That's how I would describe half the P5s in the country. In truth they're really no better than a good portion of the G5s.
That's definitely true about the P5s that play 8 conference games (SEC and ACC), but Texas A&M generally defeats at least 1 P5 OOC (whether in regular season or bowl) under Sumlin so it has something to lean on. Going generally 100% OOC in the regular season (i.e. the UCLA loss this year was an anomaly), ~50% in conference, and 60% in bowls is perfectly fine for the vast majority of P5s.

P5s that Sumlin has defeated either OOC in the regular season or in Bowls:
2012 - Oklahoma 10-3
2013 - Duke 10-4
2014 - WVU 7-6
2015 - ASU 6-7
2016 - UCLA 4-8
2017 - Bowl pending/No longer coach.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Did Les Myles really sign a contract that has his buyout reduced if he works elsewhere? Because that's not how most contracts work. Terrible job by his agent/lawyer if that's the case.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:

comparing schedules / W & L's of today with Coaches of say 30 to 40 years ago is somewhat confusing...at one time the limit was 10 games and if you were lucky to be one of 12 teams a bowl bid....now they all play 12 games and almost everyone with a pulse goes to a bowl...so in 5 years you actually play a Coach from "back in the day" a complete an extra full season's worth of games, so it is very easy to move up the ladder of W's in a Schools career mark. I realize Texas A&M is located in a wasteland, devoid of any football talent within easy driving distance, and lacks facilities that would lend to success on the field of play... I guess Jimbo did not visit the campus before signing his contract
You need to go back a lot more than 30-40 years, Woody. Splitting the difference, I took a look at the 1982 season. Bear Bryant retired after that season, his Tide went 3-3 in the SEC and 8-4 overall. He died 28 days later. Most teams played 12 games, some 13. And not only were there more than 12 teams playing in a bowl game, their were 32 teams playing in the 16 bowls. But Cal and Stanford were not among them, to the relief of many marching band musicians around the country. LSU was one of them, but the #7 Tiggers dropped a 31-28 decision to Tulane, the Green Wave's first victory in Baton Rouge since 1948. Independent Penn State defeated Herschel Walker's Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl to capture the (mythical) National Championship.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

he did not have many wins this season but his team was very competitive in most games, Matt Viator from ULM, who had a great deal of success at McNeese St
I have no clue who is in the running but will be greatly disappointed if it's Tim Rebowe or Matt Viator. I believe Dr. Maggard has his sights set significantly higher.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

I have no clue who is in the running but will be greatly disappointed if it's Tim Rebowe or Matt Viator. I believe Dr. Maggard has his sights set significantly higher.
The rumor on the street is that the job was offered to Landon Hoefer but there is some question of whether he wants to move to Lafayette. This would be a good move for UL-Laf and would cement their reputation. Hoefer will be a real asset in their continued re-branding campaign if he can be enticed to move to Lafayette. This hire would also, possibly, expand the fan base outside of Lafayette all the way to the Lake Charles area. Hoefer is a proven asset at building offenses and would be expected to get Laffy back into the middle of the SBC pack within a couple of years. Another plus is that Hoefer has a lot of goodwill in his current job and could probably guarantee a home/home series with the Cowboys which would be a big thing for Laffy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:
And he got them to their highest ranking ever.
don't think so...A&M won the national championship one year, in fact it was the year they beat Tulane in the Sugar Bowl
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

You need to go back a lot more than 30-40 years, Woody. Splitting the difference, I took a look at the 1982 season. Bear Bryant retired after that season, his Tide went 3-3 in the SEC and 8-4 overall. He died 28 days later. Most teams played 12 games, some 13. And not only were there more than 12 teams playing in a bowl game, their were 32 teams playing in the 16 bowls. But Cal and Stanford were not among them, to the relief of many marching band musicians around the country. LSU was one of them, but the #7 Tiggers dropped a 31-28 decision to Tulane, the Green Wave's first victory in Baton Rouge since 1948. Independent Penn State defeated Herschel Walker's Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl to capture the (mythical) National Championship.
I am not going to post the first two years of Sumlin's A&M record because for the most part those were played by the previous staff's players...but lets go to the tape and review the season's with his players...note I did not post Bowl Reuslts
2014 - Regular Season 7-5...with wins over Lamar, Rice, ULM, and New Mexico...
2015 - Regular Season 7-5... with wins over Nicholls, La-Laf and New Mexico...
2016 - Regular Season 8-4... with wins over Prarie View, New Mexico, UTSA
2017 - Regular Season 7-5...with wins over Nicholls, La-Laf, New Mexico and an epic choke job against directional school UCLA
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Did Les Myles really sign a contract that has his buyout reduced if he works elsewhere? Because that's not how most contracts work. Terrible job by his agent/lawyer if that's the case.
D- that's actually quite common in coaches contracts. I've seen it mentioned several times in the last few years.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Did Les Myles really sign a contract that has his buyout reduced if he works elsewhere? Because that's not how most contracts work. Terrible job by his agent/lawyer if that's the case.
D- that's actually quite common in coaches contracts. I've seen it mentioned several times in the last few years.
Win is deadon with this. You can google copies of lots of coaches contracts from public records requests for state universities. They not only include the monetary offset clause, they usually include language that requires the fired coach to make best efforts to find another coaching job. Of course that's the boiler plate of boiler plate and is truly unenforceable but it's there. So nonetheless we'll see Miles's agent drop his name with every open P5 job to demonstrate to LSU that he is trying, really trying to find another HC job.