Final call

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote: Image
The ball is across the plane there. Use his helmet as your reference point. Ball is level with the helmet, and his helmet his overlapping the goal line.

That’s a TD.
Could be but I can see them not being able to overturn the original call.
The original call was the problem. The guy got it wrong on the field. And btw this is a still photo, this angle was not used in the replay booth.

Jaxwave
Swell

I suspect this is after his elbow touched down and he had started to roll over. Still think he scored but the picture is misleading. Check if you take tashe picture slightly later he was well in. The crucial timing is when his elbow touched down right before this picture. Where was the ball at that point? I suspect breaking the plane. Really wish Banks had kept the ball in his right hand instead of moving it into his left as he got hit. The right arm was clearly over the goal line.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I have less of a problem accepting the call after seeing that pic. Originally I never saw Banks touch the ground. I thought he was on the other player the entire time. But this pic shows him clearly down. However it is inclusisive as to where the ball actually is. The official will only signal TD if he sees the ball breaking the plane. Banks had it tucked so he couldn’t actually see it. Sadly we won’t get that call until the program starts winning and gaining respect. I’m waiting for the league to rule on this call on Monday.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:It may not be down but that's what the ref was fooled by. Even if it is down and ball in left arm, the length of the football would mean it was breaking the plane. A camera from the opposite view would have proved conclusive. In my opinion that ref wanted to be the story rather than let the teams be the story.
    seems officials are like teenage girls anymore wanting attention.....South Florida game lots of talking smiling by officials during a penalty barrage.Really sick of these clowns screwing up games with bad calls theatrics.Hope the ones today are heavily fined and suspended or fired
    tpstulane
    Top of the WAVE

Channel 4 reporting that they expect Tulane to file a formal protest with the league on Monday.
    Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
    Tulane Class of 1981
    torbida
    Surge

tpstulane wrote:Do you think LSU or Bama gets this call? No way in hell. It’s a TD. We won’t get the respect we deserve until we prove otherwise. The team and coaches got hosed and the entire school and it’s fans got shorted as well. Embarrassing for a league that is trying to claim P6 status. Really pathetic. How come they overturned our fumble run for a TD early in the game but they can’t overturn this?
    if it was a good ol boy sec school ot wouldve been analyzed for an hour by replay guy and according to home team or Bama period, call would be made.Game is over but Im still pissed at incompetence of replay official
    Jaxwave
    Swell

Yes should have been a TD but that is a play that could have been run on 4th down after a quick pass play. In fact had that been 4th down, I feel like Banks would not have been as hesitant to take off and would have scored easy. He seemed to have the slightest hesitation before committing to take off and it cost him.
    DfromCT
    Wild Pelican

To me, there was no doubt at all that the ball crossed the front plane of the goal line. It was clear, without a doubt. The replay official should be fired, and cited as making one of the worst calls in the history of instant replay reviews. That being said, the game is over, and official and we're 5-7 to finish the season. The league is not going to reverse a call, right or wrong, a day or two after the fact.

Another problem was the first time we took a snap under center all year (to my knowledge) was on a critical 4th down play that seemed rushed and EXTREMELY poorly executed. Yes, I wanted to see us do a few things under center to test how the D would react, but we did this in a rushed way, not letting the D think about how different it was, and our O line seemed thrown off by the whole change in scheme for one very rushed play. Shame on the coaching staff for that feeble attempt on 4th down early in the 4th Q.

Catch the damned ball earlier in the game AND LEARN HOW TO TACKLE and it never comes down to that one, lousy call and even worse replay review. We got screwed. No doubt about it.
    Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    " If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

where the elbow hits is not the issue...where is the BALL when the elbow touches...that is called forward progress .. the ball only has to cross the FRONT EDGE of the white line...an official protest needs to be filed
    Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
    Houma de Wave
    Swell

Adam Loudin is the linesman who blew the call. There is no reference to the replay official in the Box Score.
    Jaxwave
    Swell

Bottom line is coaches did not give team best chance to win with that last play call. They could have possibly gotten 3 plays off with quick passes on first and second down.
    Pepper
    Swell

Jaxwave wrote:Bottom line is coaches did not give team best chance to win with that last play call. They could have possibly gotten 3 plays off with quick passes on first and second down.
    C'mon, they called a perfect pass play with a wide open receiver and the pass was off the mark.
    "Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

A damn bitter off season...but all in all this team showed some signs of progress..beat UH, Tulsa..but lost to FIU and Cincy...and in my mind, beat SMU...I actually think this "loss" will be a motivator..and I will be in NOLA when SMU comes to town next season !!!....now we need at least 4 transfers, 3 on D and one on O
    Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
    tufinal4
    High Tide

What happens if we do file a formal protest and the league rules in our favor. Can we actually be awarded the win.
    GreenLantern
    Riptide

tufinal4 wrote:What happens if we do file a formal protest and the league rules in our favor. Can we actually be awarded the win.
    Ain't gonna happen.
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

tufinal4 wrote:What happens if we do file a formal protest and the league rules in our favor. Can we actually be awarded the win.
    I think the only way Tulane can be awarded the W is for SMU to actually forfeit the game..but then again, I though Hillary was going to be elected, and I am so damn glad she wasn't !!!
    RobertM320
    Green Wave

For those who want to express their feelings, SMU basketball comes to town in six weeks. A nice round of boos when they get announced would be great and a raucous home crowd would be even better.
    "That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

AAC phone number 401-244-3278....speak to Terry McAulay director of Football Officials
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:For those who want to express their feelings, SMU basketball comes to town in six weeks. A nice round of boos when they get announced would be great and a raucous home crowd would be even better.
    Boos..Beer and mardi gras beads
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

why the hell are the AAC offices in freaking RI ?.... get a damn clue and get in touch where your schools that actually matter are located...and it ain't F#@king R.I.
    GreenLantern
    Riptide

Even Neon knows better.
    OUG
    Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:why the hell are the AAC offices in freaking RI ?.... get a damn clue and get in touch where your schools that actually matter are located...and it ain't F#@king R.I.
    They were there during the Big East days and they didn’t move locations because 1) they had a good lease, and relocation is a needless expense; and 2) this is 2017, it doesn’t matter where the league office is physically located.
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
    golfnut69 wrote:why the hell are the AAC offices in freaking RI ?.... get a damn clue and get in touch where your schools that actually matter are located...and it ain't F#@king R.I.
    They were there during the Big East days and they didn’t move locations because 1) they had a good lease, and relocation is a needless expense; and 2) this is 2017, it doesn’t matter where the league office is physically located.

you are correct it is 2017 and it DOES MATTER where it is located...how many new's centers are in R.I..... Atlanta, Dallas..Memphis Orlando...is where the offices need to be located..not R.I.....and FYI..I could give a rats ass less where Aresco personal home is Fucking located
    OUG
    Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
    OUG wrote:

you are correct it is 2017 and it DOES MATTER where it is located...how many new's centers are in R.I..... Atlanta, Dallas..Memphis Orlando...is where the offices need to be located..not R.I.
    This is getting off topic but no it does not matter. It’s not like the press goes to the league offices for anything. Moving the league office to Orlando or Memphis would be of zero real benefit and would be expensive and cause needless staff turnover. It’s just a non-issue.
    Wave755
    Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
    I think the only way Tulane can be awarded the W is for SMU to actually forfeit the game..but then again, I though Hillary was going to be elected, and I am so damn glad she wasn't !!!
    'Nut, think back 45 years ago to the 1972 Miami Fifth Down Game, when then Tulane president Herbert Longenecker called on Miami to do the "honorable thing" and forfeit the game, Miami replied many incorrect calls went against it during the course of the game and who could ever know how those calls affected the overall outcome of the game, so it would not forfeit the game.

We were an independent in 1972 and are now in the AAC, but unless someone knows of some arcane conference rule relevant for today's situation, we are stuck with this outcome. It would seem the very most we can do by protest is to have the officiating crew sanctioned in some way.
    Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.