SMU Gameday Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2668
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:08 pm

That was just disgusting.

Sure there were things we did to beat ourselves.

But we also drove 80 yards down the freaking field and that call was awful. If it’s overturned a win is a win and we are celebrating Banks. The call on the field was awful and the replay official was gutless. With what was on the line, if it’s even questionable, why give it to SMU? You risk making yourself the story even more! The only reason was to not humiliate the ref who made the initial call. People can say his elbow was down, but you can’t clearly see that either.


Pepper
Surge
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Bottom line we are not getting the extra practice time and more revenue and more exposure. I really dont how WF didnt chase the refs down after the game.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3836
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Dupergreenie wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:This team, this coaching staff has failed over and over again to put a team away in the fourth quarter when they had the chance. Going back to last season when Tulane blew a two score fourth quarter lead to SMU, how many times have they blown the lead in the fourth quarter.

Go jump off a bridge you s#itty troll.
GO F yourself! MotherF***er!!!
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2893
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:14 pm

First off he scored. However I have a problem running the ball with nine seconds left in the game. You save the run for the last play of the game if necessary. I would’ve thrown a rollout pass with a run option on that particular play. Somehow Tulane always finds a way to lose.
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1267
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:16 pm

A bowl game would've been nice as anything we can use to boost recruiting is badly needed. Hopefully this doesn't spell disaster for next year once the bulk of our playmakers graduate.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 pm

JerseyWave wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:This team, this coaching staff has failed over and over again to put a team away in the fourth quarter when they had the chance. Going back to last season when Tulane blew a two score fourth quarter lead to SMU, how many times have they blown the lead in the fourth quarter.

Go jump off a bridge you s#itty troll.
GO F yourself! MotherF***er!!!
I don't believe the staff or team failed today. A higher power took it from them.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Dupergreenie
High Tide
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:25 pm

JerseyWave wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:This team, this coaching staff has failed over and over again to put a team away in the fourth quarter when they had the chance. Going back to last season when Tulane blew a two score fourth quarter lead to SMU, how many times have they blown the lead in the fourth quarter.

Go jump off a bridge you s#itty troll.
GO F yourself! MotherF***er!!!
You are consistently saying the same garbage after every loss. Do you think CJ or Toledo would have this team in the same position as Fritz has? You are the new Jonathan.....
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1267
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Dupergreenie wrote:Do you think CJ or Toledo would have this team in the same position as Fritz has? You are the new Jonathan.....
Yes, and we would have better players coming in than we have currently committed.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:33 pm

This is the biggest screw over to our program since 1972 when we lost a game on a fifth down given to Miami playing @ Miami.

And, WF made the right call because Banks clearly scored, that's why.
Dupergreenie
High Tide
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:41 pm

msdos wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:Do you think CJ or Toledo would have this team in the same position as Fritz has? You are the new Jonathan.....
Yes, and we would have better players coming in than we have currently committed.
And exactly how great was Tulane with those "better players" coming in?

I'm by no way saying Fritz is the be all end all of Tulane coaches but he is better than CJ and Toledo. Once Fritz gets a coach who can legit recruit locally you will see some better players come in.
greenie78
High Tide
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm

msdos wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:Do you think CJ or Toledo would have this team in the same position as Fritz has? You are the new Jonathan.....
Yes, and we would have better players coming in than we have currently committed.
That's BS. Toledo could never win 4 games in a crappy C-USA and the talent level was never good on those teams. CJ won 7 games with the worst schedule in team history and was a disaster when the team went to the AAC with no signs on improvement.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:04 pm

SMU had 6 players from P5 schools and another from Air Force and a host of JC's. There was a huge talent gap and we won the game due to our coaches having the team prepared to play.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey refs you better hide. Baby Isla is looking for you. She's not happy with what you did her daddy.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:22 pm

JerseyWave wrote:This team, this coaching staff has failed over and over again to put a team away in the fourth quarter when they had the chance. Going back to last season when Tulane blew a two score fourth quarter lead to SMU, how many times have they blown the lead in the fourth quarter.


Exactly right!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17996
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Show Me wrote:First off he scored. However I have a problem running the ball with nine seconds left in the game. You save the run for the last play of the game if necessary. I would’ve thrown a rollout pass with a run option on that particular play. Somehow Tulane always finds a way to lose.
I don’t think it was a designed run. I think Banks improvised. I am not into blaming refs for a loss, but the refs blew it. Tulane found a way to win. The refs just screwed them on that. I started watching football on a regular basis when I was ten years old. I am now 48. That was the worst call/non-call by the refs that I have ever seen. Probably the only worse call was Miami’s fifth down, but I didn’t see that.
Houma de Wave
Swell
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:49 pm

tpstulane wrote:AAC Official Highlights
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanConf/v ... 942744831/
Interesting comments under the video. A number of non-Tulane fans agreeing with most (if not all) of us.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17996
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Houma de Wave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:AAC Official Highlights
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanConf/v ... 942744831/
Interesting comments under the video. A number of non-Tulane fans agreeing with most (if not all) of us.
There’s a Twitter Poll I saw and it’s rare you get 100% agreement on anything. 98-0 when I last checked that he scored.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:57 pm

There is no way anyone can call this a bad coaching call. Banks scored a TD! We should have won the game and prepared to go bowling. We ran the clock out and scored. Our poor seniors got screwed.
We want a Bowl Game in 2018!
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2893
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Eaglewave wrote:There is no way anyone can call this a bad coaching call. Banks scored a TD! We should have won the game and prepared to go bowling. We ran the clock out and scored. Our poor seniors got screwed.
Yes we got screwed.
You’re on the road you never leave it up to the refs. You have at least 2 plays possibly 3 with 9 seconds to score. You throw once more then call for a run or pass.
Last edited by Show Me on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Robert1969 wrote:
Show Me wrote:First off he scored. However I have a problem running the ball with nine seconds left in the game. You save the run for the last play of the game if necessary. I would’ve thrown a rollout pass with a run option on that particular play. Somehow Tulane always finds a way to lose.
I don’t think it was a designed run. I think Banks improvised. I am not into blaming refs for a loss, but the refs blew it. Tulane found a way to win. The refs just screwed them on that. I started watching football on a regular basis when I was ten years old. I am now 48. That was the worst call/non-call by the refs that I have ever seen. Probably the only worse call was Miami’s fifth down, but I didn’t see that.
And Robert, since you were only about 3 years old in 1972, the Miami 5th down game would also cost us a bowl invite. And, we formally protested the Miami game to no avail. And, after the game Miami's then coach Fran Curci would infamously say, "I would rather win a game on 5 downs then lose it on 4."
Houma de Wave
Swell
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Wave755 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
Show Me wrote:First off he scored. However I have a problem running the ball with nine seconds left in the game. You save the run for the last play of the game if necessary. I would’ve thrown a rollout pass with a run option on that particular play. Somehow Tulane always finds a way to lose.
I don’t think it was a designed run. I think Banks improvised. I am not into blaming refs for a loss, but the refs blew it. Tulane found a way to win. The refs just screwed them on that. I started watching football on a regular basis when I was ten years old. I am now 48. That was the worst call/non-call by the refs that I have ever seen. Probably the only worse call was Miami’s fifth down, but I didn’t see that.
And Robert, since you were only about 3 years old in 1972, the Miami 5th down game would also cost us a bowl invite. And, we formally protested the Miami game to no avail. And, after the game Miami's then coach Fran Curci would infamously say, "I would rather win a game on 5 downs then lose it on 4."
And, to further expand on that, we got back at Fran Curci when he was the head coach at Kentucky and beat him on a last second field goal by Vince Manalla after 2 pass interference calls with seconds remaining gave us great field position. It was a well-deserved win and a great night!

Somehow, I feel that we will get revenge on SMU......
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Houma de Wave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
Show Me wrote:First off he scored. However I have a problem running the ball with nine seconds left in the game. You save the run for the last play of the game if necessary. I would’ve thrown a rollout pass with a run option on that particular play. Somehow Tulane always finds a way to lose.
I don’t think it was a designed run. I think Banks improvised. I am not into blaming refs for a loss, but the refs blew it. Tulane found a way to win. The refs just screwed them on that. I started watching football on a regular basis when I was ten years old. I am now 48. That was the worst call/non-call by the refs that I have ever seen. Probably the only worse call was Miami’s fifth down, but I didn’t see that.
And Robert, since you were only about 3 years old in 1972, the Miami 5th down game would also cost us a bowl invite. And, we formally protested the Miami game to no avail. And, after the game Miami's then coach Fran Curci would infamously say, "I would rather win a game on 5 downs then lose it on 4."
And, to further expand on that, we got back at Fran Curci when he was the head coach at Kentucky and beat him on a last second field goal by Vince Manalla after 2 pass interference calls with seconds remaining gave us great field position. It was a well-deserved win and a great night!

Somehow, I feel that we will get revenge on SMU......
Yep, next year at Yulman!
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6596
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:41 pm

JerseyWave wrote:This team, this coaching staff has failed over and over again to put a team away in the fourth quarter when they had the chance. Going back to last season when Tulane blew a two score fourth quarter lead to SMU, how many times have they blown the lead in the fourth quarter.
They BLEW the lead? Get real. This team scored 45 points against the top team in the AAC West. They're one of the top scoring offenses in the country. Having them score only two TDs in the entire second half isn't blowing anything. Did the lead change hands? Yes. And we came right back and took it back. Except the refs took it from us. Stop looking for any excuse to put down what we've done this year. Damn it! Its not like we're in the 7th year of a coaching regime with six winning seasons, 5 bowl victories and two conf titles under our belt. You'd expect a team like that might do a better job of holding a lead. But we're not that.

They left everything on the field all season, and didn't deserve to be screwed over like this.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:48 pm

Houma de Wave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
Show Me wrote:First off he scored. However I have a problem running the ball with nine seconds left in the game. You save the run for the last play of the game if necessary. I would’ve thrown a rollout pass with a run option on that particular play. Somehow Tulane always finds a way to lose.
I don’t think it was a designed run. I think Banks improvised. I am not into blaming refs for a loss, but the refs blew it. Tulane found a way to win. The refs just screwed them on that. I started watching football on a regular basis when I was ten years old. I am now 48. That was the worst call/non-call by the refs that I have ever seen. Probably the only worse call was Miami’s fifth down, but I didn’t see that.
And Robert, since you were only about 3 years old in 1972, the Miami 5th down game would also cost us a bowl invite. And, we formally protested the Miami game to no avail. And, after the game Miami's then coach Fran Curci would infamously say, "I would rather win a game on 5 downs then lose it on 4."
And, to further expand on that, we got back at Fran Curci when he was the head coach at Kentucky and beat him on a last second field goal by Vince Manalla after 2 pass interference calls with seconds remaining gave us great field position. It was a well-deserved win and a great night!

Somehow, I feel that we will get revenge on SMU......
I sure as hell hope so. In fact I'll guarantee it. I will be be babysitting Baby Isla at the game and she will be very happy to see us get our sweet revenge.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Post Reply