Wave over Miami(OH.) 80-59 go to 5-0

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

watching the Shockers play ND...ND is two steps too slow

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
puffy
Surge

Seems like there's been an overall talent upgrade, and the Conroy holdovers have all shown significant improvement under Dunleavy. All good signs.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Back from the game and I have to say while looking tired, shooting horribly from the free throw line and struggling along the way, it’s great to walk away with a 21-point victory over a decent MAC team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We were favored by 11 and won by 21. Way to take care of business.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:watching the Shockers play ND...ND is two steps too slow
Apparently not as Irish win 67=66.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
Wow. That’s too bad for the AAC. Was hoping the Shockers would have won the Maui.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Great game to watch. They should all be like that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:Only saw the second half. Miami is the type of team we will match up really well with. They don’t have a lot of length or size, they aren’t that physical. At the same time, we also had a pretty big athleticism advantage over them. I would think they finish middle of the pack in the MAC at best. But I think they’re more of a top 200 RPI than the 300+ we saw too much of in years past.

Generally a pretty good performance. The next game on the road at GA State is our first test. Although they lost to Prarie View tonight in the Vegas tournament, they also only lost to Ole Miss by 5. If we beat GSU, we should be 7-0 heading into UNC game.
They lost to Prairie View. They are picked middle of the pack in in the Sunbelt. Ole Miss is picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC . The first test is UNC.
OUG
Riptide

winwave wrote:
OUG wrote:Only saw the second half. Miami is the type of team we will match up really well with. They don’t have a lot of length or size, they aren’t that physical. At the same time, we also had a pretty big athleticism advantage over them. I would think they finish middle of the pack in the MAC at best. But I think they’re more of a top 200 RPI than the 300+ we saw too much of in years past.

Generally a pretty good performance. The next game on the road at GA State is our first test. Although they lost to Prarie View tonight in the Vegas tournament, they also only lost to Ole Miss by 5. If we beat GSU, we should be 7-0 heading into UNC game.
They lost to Prairie View. They are picked middle of the pack in in the Sunbelt. Ole Miss is picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC . The first test is UNC.
It’s a road game. Looking at KenPom, we probably won’t be favored against GSU, and if we are it’s by less than 3. It’s a test. GSU will be very focused coming back from that upset loss against PVA&M.

UNC is not a test. All we will really find out in that game is that we don’t have the talent to hang within 15 of a national champ calibur team. And no shame in that, but it won’t tell us anything meaningful about where our ceiling might be.
lurker123
Swell

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:

It’s a road game. Looking at KenPom, we probably won’t be favored against GSU, and if we are it’s by less than 3. It’s a test. GSU will be very focused coming back from that upset loss against PVA&M.

UNC is not a test. All we will really find out in that game is that we don’t have the talent to hang within 15 of a national champ calibur team. And no shame in that, but it won’t tell us anything meaningful about where our ceiling might be.
Sorry but losing to Prairie View when it had no athletic scholarships was certainly the nadir of the Clark era and perhaps the worst loss ever in Tulane history (and there's alot of competition for that dubious honor.) Losing to Prairie View at home says alot more about GSU than PV. The test of Tulane is whether it can pile on. We'll see.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:

I agree with winwave. UNC will be our first real test. We’ve beaten one team with a winning record (Miami O 3-2)
Brooklyn 1-4, SELA 1-3, Colorado St 2-3, and Fordham 1-3. All losing records. All teams we played so far we should have beaten and we have.
After we beat GSU they will have a losing record.
Then we face an 0-6 winless Alcorn St.
The team is better this year but the schedule is much weaker at this point than last year.
Our Strength of Schedule is around 200.
Anything less than 7-0 going into NC will be a disappointment IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Tulane Basketball is back! It’s been a long time, many coaching staffs ago. We have a competitive well coached team that’s fun to watch. We are going to make some noise in the AAC. Dunleavy knows what he is doing.

You got that right, fughaboutit!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Great to see Hoops back from the dead. The game was played the day before a holiday which could cut down on crowd size but was hoping some of the locals will start taking notice. The box score advised 1500 in attendance, up from 1300 against SELA, and 1000 against LIU, so gradual improvement. Looking at the schedule, our next home games are Alcorn, Southern, Nichols, etc. The first potential draw opponent will be SMU on Jan 4th or UCONN on the 13th.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
lurker123
Swell

Wavetrader wrote:Great to see Hoops back from the dead. The game was played the day before a holiday which could cut down on crowd size but was hoping some of the locals will start taking notice. The box score advised 1500 in attendance, up from 1300 against SELA, and 1000 against LIU, so gradual improvement. Looking at the schedule, our next home games are Alcorn, Southern, Nichols, etc. The first potential draw opponent will be SMU on Jan 4th or UCONN on the 13th.
Tulane's attendance underachieves but it has never drawn well during holidays for basketball. Falcons play at home at same time as GSU game Sunday. GSU arena is perhaps a mile and a half from Mercedes Benz dome in Atlanta. I guess there will be 200 folks in stands for Tulane game and bizarrely they will have trouble finding parking for a Sunday noon (local time) holiday game downtown. It's not just Tulane that has to compete with the top pro leagues.
greenphantom
Swell

Pleasantly surprised at how well the team is playing, even if schedule is weak. This looks like a pretty solid team.
galvezwave
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
Wavetrader wrote:Great to see Hoops back from the dead. The game was played the day before a holiday which could cut down on crowd size but was hoping some of the locals will start taking notice. The box score advised 1500 in attendance, up from 1300 against SELA, and 1000 against LIU, so gradual improvement. Looking at the schedule, our next home games are Alcorn, Southern, Nichols, etc. The first potential draw opponent will be SMU on Jan 4th or UCONN on the 13th.
Tulane's attendance underachieves but it has never drawn well during holidays for basketball. Falcons play at home at same time as GSU game Sunday. GSU arena is perhaps a mile and a half from Mercedes Benz dome in Atlanta. I guess there will be 200 folks in stands for Tulane game and bizarrely they will have trouble finding parking for a Sunday noon (local time) holiday game downtown. It's not just Tulane that has to compete with the top pro leagues.

Basketball in the Deep South. Even the big schools have to do something special for people to hop the bandwagon. It's sort of indifferent with no success. Of course you get a few Yahoos like us raising hell, but most just find other stuff to do.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes. The Pelicans are playing well also and their tickets are reasonable. I believe as conference starts we’ll start to draw better. But only if we continue to win. Students will come back bigger first before the paying fan IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:

Sorry but that's just low bar syndrome thinking. I'm not conceding the UNC game. Long shot for the win sure but how we play against them will give us a good indication of what we can expect this year.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:

Sorry but that's just low bar syndrome thinking. I'm not conceding the UNC game. Long shot for the win sure but how we play against them will give us a good indication of what we can expect this year.
Amen. Team isn't conceding the game. Would it take an awful lot to beat UNC on the road? Sure. Here is one potential longshot scenario. Tulane plays real well for 32 minutes and is leading and then starts to think about it. Ideally with this staff, it will think it can win. Then we'll see. As I said, it's a longshot but until I see this team play really poorly, why not consider it?
Eaglewave
Swell

greenphantom wrote:Pleasantly surprised at how well the team is playing, even if schedule is weak. This looks like a pretty solid team.
True. And after what we saw last year, I just want to see a bunch of wins on our record. I don't care if they come from North Carolina or North Carolina Central.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Amen. Team isn't conceding the game. Would it take an awful lot to beat UNC on the road? Sure. Here is one potential longshot scenario. Tulane plays real well for 32 minutes and is leading and then starts to think about it. Ideally with this staff, it will think it can win. Then we'll see. As I said, it's a longshot but until I see this team play really poorly, why not consider it?
I agree with both Lurker and winwave (2x in one day, win!) UNC will be a test. Yes, asking for a win in Chapel Hill is a tough task to call for. But I'm sure the team and the coaching staff isn't writing the game off. How well we compete against a legitimate top 10 team will tell us a whole lot.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Love it D. :D
greenphantom
Swell

This sounds like a good headline for The Onion. Fans Decide On Message Board Whether Or Not Their College Team Should Concede Game Against Favored Opponent
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
I was watching midway thru the first half...I found out the organizers changed the Ref's to converted Catholics for the second half...U could tell, because the whistles were attached to Rosaries ..and they had Touch Down Jesus Tattoos ....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

We lost to McNeese State and Texas State at home last year. We're obviously massively better.

Florida State will be a better test than UNC; but I'm interested to see how our better players- Frazier and Embo and a couple of others- match up with UNC and how the team deals with a negative talent differential as a whole.