Wonder What They're Saying Now

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

after bashing Troy Dannen for the past several weeks, they being the contributors to and administrators of this board; now that FB appears to have turned the corner as has MBB also...

...with smart choices and a bit of patience....

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:after bashing Troy Dannen for the past several weeks, they being the contributors to and administrators of this board; now that FB appears to have turned the corner as has MBB also...

...with smart choices and a bit of patience....
Perhaps they're saying something like "WTF is this guy Pete thinking? Football turned the corner? We have a long shot at upsetting SMU on the road (Which would be the current coaching staff's FOURTH road win in two years) and qualifying for a bowl that won't draw a rating with a number other than zero before the decimal point. Men's basketball is 4-0, and showing signs of life, but we haven't played anyone in the top 100 yet. This is the same guy that said Fritz was getting a P5 job after we beat that powerhouse Tulsa team. I wonder what kind of meds he's on."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

Can we just have a reasonable reaction? Somewhere in between doom and gloom and Tulane could compete in SEC?

For the first time in the 8 years I've been a fan fb and bball have some consistency and vision. I'm enjoying it!
galvezwave
Swell

Strange vibe on this board. The 2 sports that matter are 6-0 over the last 2 weeks. Football has a shot at a 3-1 November. I've spewed my share of vitriol at WF, but I believe now I was wrong. It appears from the outside , considering players comments a after cincy, that WF is showing some belief in them and what they are capable of. Banks was unleashed on Houston. And that was the game plan. Could I be wrong and we pass for 68 yards and lose by 21 Saturday? Of course! But jeez, lets try to move forward. We're all that's left for christs sake.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Win 4th road game in 2 years? That is amazing progress compared to CJ. I remember the years of not beating any school outside the State of Louisiana for 3 or 4 years.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
netshorty
Surge

galvezwave wrote:Could I be wrong and we pass for 68 yards and lose by 21 Saturday? Of course!
Hoping you are wrong! But that would be almost 3x the number of yards coming off of a good passing game against UH last year ;)

2016 v UH: Passing 21/42 241 Yards 2TD/0 INT (arguably best game of 2016 eventhough was a loss)
Following week: Passing 4/13 24 Yards 0TD/0 INT (arguably worst game of 2016 at home against Temple)

2017 v UH: Passing 17/25 251 Yards 1TD/1 INT (undoubtedly our best win of 2017)
Following week: ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Could I be wrong and we pass for 68 yards and lose by 21 Saturday? Of course!
Hoping you are wrong! But that would be almost 3x the number of yards coming off of a good passing game against UH last year ;)

2016 v UH: Passing 21/42 241 Yards 2TD/0 INT (arguably best game of 2016 eventhough was a loss)
Following week: Passing 4/13 24 Yards 0TD/0 INT (arguably worst game of 2016 at home against Temple)

Those are some ugly stats, shorty.

Let's hope the fact that Temple was a pretty good team last year had something to do with it. SMU has lost 3 in a row, and given up 140 points in their 3 game losing streak. They're defensively challenged, though they play better at home. Hopefully the Pony supporters will be home for Thanksgiving, minimizing the home field advantage.

We should be able to score on this team. Let's hope we can limit their scoring, as this team is as good on offense as any we've faced outside of OU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
netshorty wrote:

Those are some ugly stats, shorty.

Let's hope the fact that Temple was a pretty good team last year had something to do with it. SMU has lost 3 in a row, and given up 140 points in their 3 game losing streak. They're defensively challenged, though they play better at home. Hopefully the Pony supporters will be home for Thanksgiving, minimizing the home field advantage.

We should be able to score on this team. Let's hope we can limit their scoring, as this team is as good on offense as any we've faced outside of OU.
Agree 100%. Temple defensively from last year completely different than SMU from this year and wouldn't expect the same passing struggles. Just found the correlation to galvezwave's sort of worst case post kinda funny (or sad)...
Pepper
Swell

"Is this the light at the end of the tunnel or is it a train?" No one knows for sure but as I have said before the staff should be commended for keeping the team focused regardless of what happens in Dallas.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Pepper wrote:"Is this the light at the end of the tunnel or is it a train?" No one knows for sure but as I have said before the staff should be commended for keeping the team focused regardless of what happens in Dallas.
I agree Pepper. WF has shown improvements year over year (even though this season isn't over yet). We go 4-8 (2016) with 1 conference win and 2 road wins. While this year, we are 5-6, 3 conference wins, and 1 (maybe 2 road wins?). The results on paper alone show improvement and no quitting by this team.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wavetrader wrote:Win 4th road game in 2 years? That is amazing progress compared to CJ. I remember the years of not beating any school outside the State of Louisiana for 3 or 4 years.
I know that it's been a few years, but CJ only had two seasons where he didn't beat any teams outside of the boundaries of the state Louisiana and those were 2012 and 2013. Those seasons weren't great or anything, but still.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Ruski wrote: 8 years I've been a fan
Rookie, you have no idea what real suffering is. :D
God Bless Everyone!
galvezwave
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:

Hahahaha I thought the same thing. Went to Tulane stadium in a stroller and the oldest season I can actually remember is 1979. I was 8. My god Im getting old.
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Hahahaha I thought the same thing. Went to Tulane stadium in a stroller and the oldest season I can actually remember is 1979. I was 8. My god Im getting old.
You think you're old, my senior year was 79-80. My earliest memories were listening to the radio in the days of Bankston and Duhon when I was 8 or so, so late 60s. Going on 50 years I guess.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

You think you're old, my senior year was 79-80. My earliest memories were listening to the radio in the days of Bankston and Duhon when I was 8 or so, so late 60s. Going on 50 years I guess.
I remember having to listen to a 62-0 a$$ whipping on the radio while my aunts and uncles (LSwho fans) cheered every touchdown. My dad the only Tulane fan in the family. I have only suffered through 68 years and sat in the third row from the top of Tulane Stadium on that memorable night in ‘73 and yes I did rub it in the faces of my aunts and uncles
Ruski
Swell

I'd argue it's worse having to learn to love a program with the mess of Dickson/Toledo/CJ/Conroy in charge. 8 years committed to watching losses.
Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
posse
High Tide

I to have suffered through 54 years of ass whippings and a lot of verbal abuse, from LSU fans. Backed then there was a fierce rivalry. What's amazing is that my wife and I also sat in the third row from the top of Tulane Stadium (on the end where Tulane came out onto the field) on that memorable night in ‘73. You never forget where you were that night.Might have sat next to you Chain gang xm?
GreenLantern
Riptide

*Sorry...posted this in the wrong thread....mods, please delete*

Here's what they're saying now on the SMU forum:
We barely beat them at their place last year and they are MUCH better this year.
No reason whatsoever to be confident about the Tulane game. If we really had a home field advantage I would feel better but game atmosphere will be like a scrimmage and Tulane will be highly motivated
If i were malone (defensive coordinator) I’d offer free whataburger to whoever picks a fight on d.
The only thing that’s positive is our offense can make plays generally (exclude UCF game) and Tulane (based on past performance) is like us a bad road team
I am thinking we spit the bit and Tulane whops us by 10+. Their QB has some talent and can run & pass. Ugh.
There's no reason for any SMU person to reschedule their Thanksgiving plans for this game. I will be there with the other 4999.
I'm confident our defense will have no clue what to do. We'll win if we score 50 and the Tulane offense self destructs.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

I remember having to listen to a 62-0 a$$ whipping on the radio while my aunts and uncles (LSwho fans) cheered every touchdown. My dad the only Tulane fan in the family. I have only suffered through 68 years and sat in the third row from the top of Tulane Stadium on that memorable night in ‘73 and yes I did rub it in the faces of my aunts and uncles
Was there as well. My mom and I sat in the upper deck up against the Press Box. My greatest Tulane memory for sure. My dad had tears in his eyes when he finally finished the post game interviews and met us in the parking lot. What a night! At the 4:06 min mark in that video my dad (mustache guy) gives congrats to Coach Ellender. Pretty cool I spotted him.
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

It was a great weekend for Tulane: Women’s Hoops beat Vanderbilt, the Men won two in Jamaica, Football upset Houston, but nobody has turned any corner. It’s a gradual process and Tulane appears heading in the right direction, but no corners have been turned yet.

Beat SMU, then let’s talk.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Ruski wrote:Can we just have a reasonable reaction? Somewhere in between doom and gloom and Tulane could compete in SEC?

For the first time in the 8 years I've been a fan fb and bball have some consistency and vision. I'm enjoying it!
I have you beat by a little over a year and a half... I guess we're the young guys compared to the devout posters on here.... but hey, at least we're going to be carrying the torch for the faithful in the years to come. :mrgreen:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Ruski wrote:Can we just have a reasonable reaction? Somewhere in between doom and gloom and Tulane could compete in SEC?

I have you beat by a little over a year and a half... I guess we're the young guys compared to the devout posters on here.... but hey, at least we're going to be carrying the torch for the faithful in the years to come. :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard whipper snappers. May you be blessed with many wins and championships and never have to suffer the long droughts most of us here have. May you always offer up a toast to our memories as you celebrate yet another Major Bowl victory!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

Tps, that video is incredible. My father was at that game. One of the greatest nights of his life he always said. The priest for his funeral this past February talked about that game in his homily . The priest was there as a tiger fan. He said he still hasn't gotten over it. What a time to be alive. That is why my dad died a fan. 1979 was my first taste. and what about the dude getting destroyed right next to ellender after the game ended . Holy shit!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:Tps, that video is incredible. My father was at that game. One of the greatest nights of his life he always said. The priest for his funeral this past February talked about that game in his homily . The priest was there as a tiger fan. He said he still hasn't gotten over it. What a time to be alive. That is why my dad died a fan. 1979 was my first taste. and what about the dude getting destroyed right next to ellender after the game ended . Holy sh*t!!
I heard that similar story told by a lot of old timers. Yes on that punch. I know the guy that helped the kid that got decked. He was his friend. I think you meant Charlie Mac not Ellender.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Tps, that video is incredible. My father was at that game. One of the greatest nights of his life he always said. The priest for his funeral this past February talked about that game in his homily . The priest was there as a tiger fan. He said he still hasn't gotten over it. What a time to be alive. That is why my dad died a fan. 1979 was my first taste. and what about the dude getting destroyed right next to ellender after the game ended . Holy sh*t!!
I heard that similar story told by a lot of old timers. Yes on that punch. I know the guy that helped the kid that got decked. He was his friend. I think you meant Charlie Mac not Ellender.
I was there North End Zone....several LSU fans remarked, considering the "Freshman" team beat the LSU freshman the nite before, the attitude at Tulane has changed, most of the LSU people who were around me were very gracious and complimentary..they noted, "it is a rivalry again..and it is a good thing"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !