Tulane crushes Colorado State 80-53

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Houma de Wave
Swell

We played very good defense today. That was what we needed to start working on. The 6-25 record from last season is going to make opposing teams think we’re no good. That will change quickly. Follow this team and go to the games. These guys need everybody’s support.

oliveandblue
Surge

The AAC is having a very bad day. ECU is losing to CCSU. Tulsa is about to slip to 2-2. Houston laid an egg at home.

The top of the conference (Temple, SMU, Cincy, WSU, UConn, and maaaybe Memphis) will be very good - but there are landmines everywhere.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm not so sure UConn will be in the top 25, or even very far above .500. They got beat badly in an exhibition vs. Providence. And they barely got past Stony Brook, which had leads in the 2nd half. Kevin Ollie is on the hot seat in a big way in Storrs.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote:The AAC is having a very bad day. ECU is losing to CCSU. Tulsa is about to slip to 2-2. Houston laid an egg at home.

The top of the conference (Temple, SMU, Cincy, WSU, UConn, and maaaybe Memphis) will be very good - but there are landmines everywhere.
Disagree that we had a bad day. Conferences are judged based on how the top teams performed. Truthfully, although the Tulane win helps, the only thing that mattered was Temple absolutely handling Auburn on a neutral court. ECU losing doesn’t matter. Look at who the bottom teams in the other power conferences are losing to. Wake Forest has lost to Ga Southern, Liberty, and Drake. Pitt lost to Montana and Navy. It’s fine. Everyone has a bottom dweller. And we aren’t going to be top 4-5 anyway because we aren’t good enough.

The AAC is having a great OOC November, generally speaking. You could argue that Memphis losing to Alabama hurt us a little, but that is marginal. When the dust settles at the start of the conference season, we will be settled in at 6-7 in the RPI, which is right where we should be. No teams are going to get left out of the tournament that belong because the league RPI wasn’t good enough. I think we get 4 in, and if UCF wins some big games OOC it could be 5.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The only two that most so called experts say are top 25 are WSU and Cincy. Then SMU is a maybe. Not going to be a great year for the conference so it's a good year to sneak up on some people.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:The AAC is having a very bad day. ECU is losing to CCSU. Tulsa is about to slip to 2-2. Houston laid an egg at home.

Disagree that we had a bad day. Conferences are judged based on how the top teams performed. Truthfully, although the Tulane win helps, the only thing that mattered was Temple absolutely handling Auburn on a neutral court. ECU losing doesn’t matter. Look at who the bottom teams in the other power conferences are losing to. Wake Forest has lost to Ga Southern, Liberty, and Drake. Pitt lost to Montana and Navy. It’s fine. Everyone has a bottom dweller. And we aren’t going to be top 4-5 anyway because we aren’t good enough.

The AAC is having a great OOC November, generally speaking. You could argue that Memphis losing to Alabama hurt us a little, but that is marginal. When the dust settles at the start of the conference season, we will be settled in at 6-7 in the RPI, which is right where we should be. No teams are going to get left out of the tournament that belong because the league RPI wasn’t good enough. I think we get 4 in, and if UCF wins some big games OOC it could be 5.
Tulsa lost to Iowa State they were 2nd in the Big 12 last year with a 12-6 record, 24-11 overall and second to Kansas in league play...UH, that was UGLY what in the name of Guy Lewis is Kelvin Sampson doing !?!?!?... ECU losing, well it is ECU
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I didn’t see the CSU game, but I heard that we primarily ran a four guard offense—is that true?

As far as poor 1H offensive performances, such as CSU demonstrated, the worse 1H offensive performance I ever saw was a Marquette vs Tulane game in the Superdome, if I remember correctly it was Marquette 14 Tulane 9 at half. I think it was in 1977. I know it was the year that Marquette went on to win the National championship under Al McGuire. Marquette had Bo Ellis and Butch Lee on their team, but nobody could hit a basket in the 1H—of course shooting always was difficult in the Dome, with vast spaces behind each basket.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:I didn’t see the CSU game, but I heard that we primarily ran a four guard offense—is that true?

As far as poor 1H offensive performances, such as CSU demonstrated, the worse 1H offensive performance I ever saw was a Marquette vs Tulane game in the Superdome, if I remember correctly it was Marquette 14 Tulane 9 at half. I think it was in 1977. I know it was the year that Marquette went on to win the National championship under Al McGuire. Marquette had Bo Ellis and Butch Lee on their team, but nobody could hit a basket in the 1H—of course shooting always was difficult in the Dome, with vast spaces behind each basket.
I remember when Bo played at Marquette and the game was at Folgelman....they lost to Kentucky and Rick Robey a few weeks later....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We didn't play a 4 guard offense. Reynolds and Frazier are forwards.

As for that game I was sitting courtside. In warm ups MCGuire called Ellis out for goofing around. Ellis told him to shut the fuck up and he did. lee couldn't even hit layups for most of the game. Gave them hell all night. Lee looked at me as he left the floor and pointed to the scoreboard. I laughed at him and told him so you beat Tulane. IIRC they went on their roll after that game.
Houma de Wave
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:I didn’t see the CSU game, but I heard that we primarily ran a four guard offense—is that true?

It was a horrible first half, but I had the pleasure of sitting on press row righ5 behind Al McGuire and the Marquette bench. I could hear almost everything he was saying. I think Marquette had more than 14, but we definitely scored a total of 9 in that first half.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:

I remember when Bo played at Marquette and the game was at Folgelman....they lost to Kentucky and Rick Robey a few weeks later....
We also played them at Folgelman. I can't recall which year we played them at Folgelman and which year we played the in the Dome. The awful first half was definitely the Dome game.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

2/28/77 was in Fogleman. Marquette won 63-44. We've played them 19 times, going 3-16. From what I've checked, I can't find a single game where we played them in the Dome. They're all listed as Fogleman. Games prior to the 76-77 season there was no Dome, and we haven't played games at the Dome since some maybe in the mid-nineties? Anything after 99 would have been in the SKC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Houma de Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:2/28/77 was in Fogleman. Marquette won 63-44. We've played them 19 times, going 3-16. From what I've checked, I can't find a single game where we played them in the Dome. They're all listed as Fogleman. Games prior to the 76-77 season there was no Dome, and we haven't played games at the Dome since some maybe in the mid-nineties? Anything after 99 would have been in the SKC.
I have to Trump you on this one. That 63-44 game was in the dome. We played quite a few in the dome back then including a win over Metro Conference rival and then No. 1 Cincinnati. We played LSU in the dome and, again, I was on press row behind Dale Brown (not the same experience as having sat behind the legendary Al McGuire).
RobertM320
Green Wave

Houma de Wave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:2/28/77 was in Fogleman. Marquette won 63-44. We've played them 19 times, going 3-16. From what I've checked, I can't find a single game where we played them in the Dome. They're all listed as Fogleman. Games prior to the 76-77 season there was no Dome, and we haven't played games at the Dome since some maybe in the mid-nineties? Anything after 99 would have been in the SKC.
I have to Trump you on this one. That 63-44 game was in the dome. We played quite a few in the dome back then including a win over Metro Conference rival and then No. 1 Cincinnati. We played LSU in the dome and, again, I was on press row behind Dale Brown (not the same experience as having sat behind the legendary Al McGuire).
Here's the link I found it on. But I do agree with you, we played a lot of games in the Dome then. That was my freshman year, and I was at that game against Cincinnati at the Dome. They list that game as being in Fogelman as well. What's odd though, is they do list our game against UNO as being in the Dome that year. Wonder if they got the info from Tulane and its wrong, or did they just assume?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane vs Marquette in the Dome 1977. I went.
Jeff Cummings and Pierre Gaudin era. #24 is Carlos Zuniga from Holy Cross. Cummings #11, Gaudin #12. Roy Danforth coach. You can cleary see the Loge and Terrace level In the first picture.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:
Here's the link I found it on. But I do agree with you, we played a lot of games in the Dome then. That was my freshman year, and I was at that game against Cincinnati at the Dome. They list that game as being in Fogelman as well. What's odd though, is they do list our game against UNO as being in the Dome that year. Wonder if they got the info from Tulane and its wrong, or did they just assume?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
Yes. You are correct, Robert. The game sites are wrong.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:Does anyone understand the format of this "tournament"? We only play two games this week in Jamaica. But already played Brooklyn and will play Miami (oh) and FSU, not in Jamaica later in the season. Leaving Hartford the only team we don't play.

Will there be some sort of a championship?
This was asked earlier. I did find this. Our game at home against Miami of Ohio next week IS considered part of this Tournament. Interesting.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/schedule/Tulane

And Fordham played both Long Island and Miami (OH) in the Bronx as part of this tournament. Strange setup.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/schedule/Fordham

And The Citadel played FSU in Talahassee AND two non-D1 teams in Charleston, ALSO as part of the same classic!

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/ ... he-Citadel
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The 1977 game was in the Dome. Not surprised the Tulane site would be wrong.
MicMan
Swell

Point of order...it wasn't Fogelman, it was just The Gym in '77.