Tulane crushes Colorado State 80-53

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I've never seen a worse shooting performance than has been put on by CoSt. I'm embarrassed to watch. Their fans must be throwing bricks at the TV

OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:17-2 at second media break!

Anyone that think Fogelman is a HS gym should look at the arena they're playing in Jamaica. I think Tulane has an advantage because we're used to playing in a small, empty gym!
Goes without saying, but “arena” is a bit of a misnomer. Most of these Caribbean tournaments are in converted hotel ballrooms/convention spaces.

Wave look good so far this year. So much deeper than a year ago. We definitely play NBA-style basketball, which is great if you have the depth and athleticism to pull it off. I think we are getting there, but we may pay big for this style against some of the better more athletic teams in conference (WSU, UC, SMU, Temple).
Ruski
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:I've never seen a worse shooting performance than has been put on by CoSt. I'm embarrassed to watch. Their fans must be throwing bricks at the TV
Yup. I was hoping this game would tell us about our team but it's hard to tell with CSU playing so poorly.

Very happy to see us put away a bad team, not playing down to competition.
GreenLantern
Riptide

44-23. CoSt starting to hit a few shots
GreenLantern
Riptide

53-35. CoSt trying to make a game of it.
Ruski
Swell

Cause for concern: we're up a ton and still putting up pretty terrible outside shots, not able to work the ball inside at all. A little too reminiscent of last year :/
Ruski
Swell

Aaaaand right after I comment they put together a really nice bang-bang pass play inside
GreenLantern
Riptide

61-40 with 8:46. Embo shooting a T along with 2 FTs at the end of the timeout
GreenLantern
Riptide

67-42 with 7 minutes remaining. I like it.
GreenLantern
Riptide

75-47 with 3:35 remaining

I like it
I love it
I want some more of it
GreenLantern
Riptide

Dunleavy going to the bench. Reyes in with 3:11 remaining
RobertM320
Green Wave

80-53 the final score. Wave moves to 3-0 on the season.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

80-53 Final. Dunleavy got Riley Conroy a minute playing time at the end.

Although CSU had problems with a lid on the basket, particularly in the first half, I was encouraged that we played better D. We do have a tendency to heave up a three regardless of how much time is left on the shot clock. If we continue to shoot well, we're fine. But sooner or later we're going to run into a great defensive team and will need to work the ball more, including into (and sometimes out of) the low post.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

That, my friend, was an ass-kickin.

If you don't think Dunleavy has made big changes with these kids, I dunno what to tell you. Wonder if he would be interested in a part-time position as football OC
OUG
Riptide

Fordham could be an interesting game on Sunday. Will need to keep up our intensity level.
swampnik
Surge

Soon come mon(day).......... Tidal Wave back to NOLA!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:Fordham could be an interesting game on Sunday. Will need to keep up our intensity level.
Fordham is picked to finish at or near the bottom of the A-10. We should continue our streak of blowouts. They haven't been very good since Digger Phelps left.
lurker123
Swell

OUG wrote:
Wave look good so far this year. So much deeper than a year ago. We definitely play NBA-style basketball, which is great if you have the depth and athleticism to pull it off. I think we are getting there, but we may pay big for this style against some of the better more athletic teams in conference (WSU, UC, SMU, Temple).
No doubt Tulane will show up cold and not play defense and lose confidence mid-game and Tulane will get waxed by one or more of the above. But hey I'll wait for it to happen. It's Nov 17th and this team is halfway to its season victory total of last year. No one now is smoking the funny stuff thinking this team could do some damage in conference and maybe just maybe get in a post-season tourney where they pay you instead of the participation trophy events Conroy/Dickson specialized in: no check; no game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
OUG wrote:
No doubt Tulane will show up cold and not play defense and lose confidence mid-game and Tulane will get waxed by one or more of the above. But hey I'll wait for it to happen. It's Nov 17th and this team is halfway to its season victory total of last year. No one now is smoking the funny stuff thinking this team could do some damage in conference and maybe just maybe get in a post-season tourney where they pay you instead of the participation trophy events Conroy/Dickson specialized in: no check; no game.
The team is deeper, and I think considerably better than a year ago. Yes, it's a small sample, but they're shooting way better, and shooting was something Dunleavy always took pride in. I may eat my words by March, but it seems to me that Dunleavy can teach and the team is all-in with his system.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
OUG wrote:Fordham could be an interesting game on Sunday. Will need to keep up our intensity level.
Fordham is picked to finish at or near the bottom of the A-10. We should continue our streak of blowouts. They haven't been very good since Digger Phelps left.
I wasn’t commenting on the historical or current strength of Fordham’s program (FWIW they beat LIU Brooklyn by more than we did), but having this team chill in Montego Bay for 48 hours while they ride high on the CSU win will present an interesting challenge for the Fordham game. It’s college basketball, you have to be ready to play every game.

Is two consecutive games a “blowout streak” btw?

I like what I’m seeing from this team too, but we should still be honest about where we are right now.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OUG wrote:Wave look good so far this year. So much deeper than a year ago. We definitely play NBA-style basketball, which is great if you have the depth and athleticism to pull it off. I think we are getting there, but we may pay big for this style against some of the better more athletic teams in conference (WSU, UC, SMU, Temple).
Given that most people predicted 5-7 conference wins, which means 5-13 or 7-11 in conference, I'm ok if we don't match up with the conference elite in only our second season under MD. Sure beats 6-25, that's for sure.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You have to like our start. The competition isn't all that but we are doing good things that we haven't done in a long time even when we played really bad competition. We are shooting really well, moving the ball really well to get people open shots which leads to good shooting, driving to the goal and scoring. Today the defense and rebounding improved. Fun to watch us play like that. We have a long way to go but at least the early signs are very encouraging that MD can turn this program around. Let it continue.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I wasn’t commenting on the historical or current strength of Fordham’s program (FWIW they beat LIU Brooklyn by more than we did), but having this team chill in Montego Bay for 48 hours while they ride high on the CSU win will present an interesting challenge for the Fordham game. It’s college basketball, you have to be ready to play every game.

Is two consecutive games a “blowout streak” btw?

I like what I’m seeing from this team too, but we should still be honest about where we are right now.
I forgot we let LIU-Brooklyn back into the game late, as I had to leave when the Wave was up about 15 well into the 2nd half. My bad. And I was tongue in cheek about Fordham not being very good since the year that Digger Phelps coached them. Not many people know that Digger Phelps did coach them, and I'll bet fewer know that one of his star players that year became a coach that took Seton Hall to the NCAA Championship game.

But I see your point about keeping them focused with 48 hours to hang on the beaches of Jamaica. Not to mention the other distractions the island has to offer!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’m not a cheerleader type. I call it like I see it. I saw us beat LSU, SELA (in person) and now Colorado St.(TV) We are going to have a great season. We will be more athletic then most teams we’ll play. We’ll be as well coached as anyone. The kids are buying in to the Dunleavy plan. Like I said in another thread I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us be in the NIT and surprise a few teams along the way. Can’t wait to see us at North Carolina. A win there will put us in the National spotlight.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:I’m not a cheerleader type. I call it like I see it. I saw us beat LSU, SELA (in person) and now Colorado St.(TV) We are going to have a great season. We will be more athletic then most teams we’ll play. We’ll be as well coached as anyone. The kids are buying in to the Dunleavy plan. Like I said in another thread I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us be in the NIT and surprise a few teams along the way. Can’t wait to see us at North Carolina. A win there will put us in the National spotlight.
I won't hold my breath for a win at Chapel Hill, but you're right that would put us in the National spotlight! I'd like to play competitive in Chapel Hill. Last year we fell down fairly early, but kept the game from getting out of hand. I'd like to see some lead changes late in the first half, or in the second half. Obviously the upset would be HUGE for the program. But this is Tulane. Until the day we start pulling off upsets, I'm not betting on them!

:roll: :mrgreen: :roll: