ECU Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Stop the bowl talk and start playing football that does not embarrass themselves and the fans! Thats what somebody should be saying to these kids!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:Stop the bowl talk and start playing football that does not embarrass themselves and the fans! Thats what somebody should be saying to these kids!
I agree !!! This team is suffering form a severe case of "Shouda..Woulda.. Coulda"...eliminate these three symptoms and they might win a game...I also think some on the Coaching Staff have the same disease
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You better believe that ECU and their fans are sniffing a victory this coming Saturday. And the way this team has played on the road, I'm sure it's very possible for the Pirates to not only win, but look good doing so.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:You better believe that ECU and their fans are sniffing a victory this coming Saturday. And the way this team has played on the road, I'm sure it's very possible for the Pirates to not only win, but look good doing so.
Dave...ECU by 21
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hard to believe that any book would again make us a favorite, on the road nevertheless, after our four consecutive stinkers....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

I suspect that there's more than a healthy amount of dissension on this team. A couple weeks back, more than one person reported that Banks was quite agitated on the sideline and was screaming "Let me play my game."

I'm not sure what that means, and perhaps I am reading too much into the Banks quote from the Advocate article which winwave posted:
Quarterback Jonathan Banks didn't have specifics when asked what the Wave needed to do differently to break out of its slump.

"Honestly, that's not my call,” he said. “We've just got to get in the film room and just get better at what we do offensively."
Obviously he was unhappy with the play calling at the game and if this quote was as snarky as it sounded, I intuit his meaning as "The coaches are gonna do what the coaches wanna do, even when it's stupid as hell."

If you think things are bad now, let's see how bad they become if Fritz loses the players. Things are bad. Lose at ECU and it's The Walking Dead with major embarrassments at SMU and UH.
sader24
Tsunami

Nothing we do on offense makes a whole lot of sense. We have had our most success letting Banks make plays, it's not always pretty but it's accounted for our best drives. There is no creativity in the running game at all.
galvezwave
Swell

Well there was the first touchdown drive where banks picked up 3 straight 1st downs on 3 pass plays in a row. After the 3rd pass banks ran through a hole that looked like the Red Sea parting for the 53 yard td. The 3 passes had cincy on their heels. Then we went right back to slamming Hilliard into the 7-8 man front. i don't understand.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Getting back on track :

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 083ea.html

Sample didn't practice today.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Sorry in advance if this article has already been posted, but this quote in the article says everything (emphasis added):

People are catching on (to what Tulane is doing) and making corrections,” Diaz said. “We have to make our own corrections and keep playing hard. We just had a couple of mistakes and miscommunication issues.”

If it's been that easy for teams like FIU, Cincinnati, etc. to not only catch on to what Tulane is doing, but also to stop it, it does not bode well for the future.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Sorry in advance if this article has already been posted, but this quote in the article says everything (emphasis added):

People are catching on (to what Tulane is doing) and making corrections,” Diaz said. “We have to make our own corrections and keep playing hard. We just had a couple of mistakes and miscommunication issues.”

If it's been that easy for teams like FIU, Cincinnati, etc. to not only catch on to what Tulane is doing, but also to stop it, it does not bode well for the future.
Butch Davis gave them the blueprint on how.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Sorry in advance if this article has already been posted, but this quote in the article says everything (emphasis added):

Y'all are acting like it's really hard to figure out how to beat our boys... it's been pretty simple: just put 4 defensive lineman against our turnstile O-line and target Mr. Lewis Jr., in the passing game....
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maybe they should move Donnie Lewis to LB and just let him blitz the QB every play. It can't be worse than having him in coverage.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Maybe they should move Donnie Lewis to LB and just let him blitz the QB every play. It can't be worse than having him in coverage.
At first, I chuckled when I read this post, M320. But then I thought: What the hell? Why not do something 180 degrees different from what we've been doing? Show ECU and the remaining teams somethings they've never seen on film. This could be done on both sides of the ball. How would opposing D's react if Banks walked up and started taking snaps under center? We could run the same plays or different plays, but right now we're so freaking predictable its ludicrous. Show some creativity rather than pig-headed "we're going to run the football" mentality. Banks had a pretty good passing game against Cinci. And for those that didn't watch on TV, he had an issue with his wrist on his throwing hand that was affecting him throughout the game. He's our only option (no pun intended) or else we would have put someone with a healthy hand/wrist/arm in his place based upon how he was coming off the field.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Show Me wrote:

Y'all are acting like it's really hard to figure out how to beat our boys... it's been pretty simple: just put 4 defensive lineman against our turnstile O-line and target Mr. Lewis Jr., in the passing game....
once again Tulane has mastered the " O' Lay " blocking scheme ....
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

Just want to verify, kickoff is at 6pm, right? Not noon like the countdown clock says?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Just want to verify, kickoff is at 6pm, right? Not noon like the countdown clock says?
CBS sports has it at 6pm since they're going to be covering the game.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Unis for Saturday: Green helmets, white jersey, green pants
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 1169120256
IM42lane
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Unis for Saturday: Green helmets, white jersey, green pants

[tweet] https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 1169120256 [/tweet]
Oh, good. Tulane will 'look good' LOSING their bowl eligibility this Sat.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Preview courtesy of Tulanegreenwave.com
NOV 9, 2017
GAME 10: TULANE GREEN WAVE (3-6, 1-4 AAC | WEST) at ECU PIRATES (2-7, 1-4 AAC | EAST)
When: Saturday, Nov. 11 | 6 p.m. CT
Where: Greenville, N.C. | Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium (50,000)
Watch: CBS Sports Network
Commentators: Dave Ryan (PBP), Corey Chavous (Analyst), Melanie Collins (Sidelines)
Radio: Sports 1280 AM New Orleans | TuneIn Radio
Radio Commentators: Todd Graffagnini (PBP), Terrence Jones (Analyst)
Stats: Live Stats
Notes: Tulane | ECU | American
Social: @GreenWaveFB
NEW ORLEANS – Tulane football hits the road to take on ECU at Bagwell Field at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium at 6 p.m. CT Saturday in Greenville, N.C.

HOW TO WATCH/LISTEN
The game will be carried live on CBS Sports Network, and on the Tulane IMG Sports Network, which can be heard anywhere via TuneIn Radio, or in New Orleans on Sports 1280 AM New Orleans and through iHeart Radio.

ABOUT TULANE
• Tulane looks to stop its four-game losing streak and get the Green Wave's first road victory since last year's season finale at UConn (W, 38-13) on Nov. 26, 2016.
• A win over ECU would give Tulane two conference wins in a season for the second time in four seasons as a member of the American Athletic Conference.
• Of Tulane's 33 touchdowns scored so far this season, 16 have been with plays that went 20 yards or longer. The Green Wave's six longest plays have resulted in touchdowns – three rushing (75, 72, 58) and three passing (73, 62, 62). In total, Tulane has converted 51 plays on offense and special teams of 20 yards or longer.
• The Green Wave enter the game ranked fourth in The American and 21st nationally in rushing offense at 235.1 yards per game.
• Tulane has rushed for 100 or more yards in 24 straight games, dating back to the final three games of the 2015 season.
• The Green Wave rank fifth in The American tied for 15th in the nation in turnover margin at +7 (13 gained, six lost).
• Tulane's six turnovers lost are tied for second in the nation with North Carolina State and Wake Forest and stand just one behind Alabama's five turnovers lost.
• Of head coach Willie Fritz' 200 on-field victories, 63 have come on the NCAA Division I level (Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision).

ABOUT THE PIRATES
• ECU owns a 2-5 regular season mark (1-2 at home, 1-3 on the road) against West division foes in the American Athletic Conference since the league began divisional play in 2015.
• The Pirates have won nine of their last 12 home night games (6 p.m. or later).
• In its five conference games this year, ECU is averaging 26.0 points, 107.0 rushing yards, 322.6 passing yards and 429.6 total offensive yards per game. By comparison, the Pirates posted 21.0 points, 91.8 rushing yards, 289.8 passing yards and 381.5 total offensive yards per game in their four non-conference matchups.
• Of ECU's 17 turnovers this year, 10 (nearly 60 percent) have come against non-conference opponents.
• ECU quarterbacks own two of the top three single-game passing performances in The American this season – Gardner Minshew's 463 vs. Houston on Nov. 4 and Thomas Sirk's 426 yards vs. UConn on Sept. 24.
• Minshew established both school and conference single-game records in completions (52) and attempts (68) against Houston. His 463-yard passing total stands third in the school's all-time annals and eighth in conference history.

SERIES NOTES
• Tulane and ECU are meeting for the 15th time on the gridiron with the Pirates leading the all-time series 11-3.
• The Green Wave are winless in eight previous matchups in Greenville, N.C.
• Tulane's last win over ECU was a 36-33 overtime victory in New Orleans on Oct. 12, 2013. The two teams have split the six meetings in New Orleans.
• Twelve of the 14 previous matchups were as members of Conference USA. Tulane and ECU were both independents when the two teams met for the first time in 1991.
• Tulane is looking for its sixth conference win as member of The American with its previous wins coming vs. UConn and at Houston in 2014, vs. UCF in 2015, at UConn in 2016 and vs. Tulsa in 2017.
They've twice thrown for over 400 yards! This could be an ugly game if we don't show up ready to play from the opening kickoff.