2017 Football Prediction Thread / Poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

WIN - LOSS PREDICTION (REGULAR SEASON)

12-0
No votes
11-1
No votes
10-2
No votes
9-3
No votes
8-4
No votes
7-5
14%
6-6
21%
5-7
50%
4-8
14%
3-9
No votes
2-10
No votes
1-11
No votes
0-12
No votes

Total votes: 14
nawlinspete
Riptide

Stop assuming Coach Fritz wants to win AND get the hell out of New Orleans.

What knowledge do you whiners have that others don't ?

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:Stop assuming Coach Fritz wants to win AND get the hell out of New Orleans.

What knowledge do you whiners have that others don't ?

We are a long way from this for now, but if a P5 like Ole Miss ever offers WF he will take it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dog days of summer, LOL, we're all arguing about a new hire coach for a coach that:
1. we don't want to leave
2. Is not on the radar screen of P5 AD's (yet).
3. Has been here 1 year
4. Is 4-10 with one win in the AAC

I'd love to see us go 8-4, which I really think is the cieling for this team. But I'm still thinking 6-6 and next year competing for the AAC West title.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Dog days of summer, LOL, we're all arguing about a new hire coach for a coach that:
3. Has been here 1 year

I'd love to see us go 8-4, which I really think is the cieling for this team. But I'm still thinking 6-6 and next year competing for the AAC West title.
Well, Fritz's one bad year wouldn't remove him completely from the radar for a consistently low performing P5 program that has an AD willing to do whatever it can -within the rules- to win (i.e. potentially hire a coach that will use an offense that will likely be unpopular with the fans). As for Tulane, 6-6 is still a tough sell at this point, but that will clear up once the fan base sees how the offense performs against Grambling and Navy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Dog days of summer, LOL, we're all arguing about a new hire coach for a coach that:
3. Has been here 1 year

Well, Fritz's one bad year wouldn't remove him completely from the radar for a consistently low performing P5 program that has an AD willing to do whatever it can -within the rules- to win (i.e. potentially hire a coach that will use an offense that will likely be unpopular with the fans). As for Tulane, 6-6 is still a tough sell at this point, but that will clear up once the fan base sees how the offense performs against Grambling and Navy.
If he's on their radar screen after going 4-8 in year one at Tulane, why didn't he get a sniff of a P5 job after going undefeated the first year in conference at GSU when it was also their first year at FBS level? His accomplishments at GaSouthern would have been much more impressive than (hypothetically) 4-8 and 8-4 at Tulane.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
3. Has been here 1 year

If he's on their radar screen after going 4-8 in year one at Tulane, why didn't he get a sniff of a P5 job after going undefeated the first year in conference at GSU when it was also their first year at FBS level? His accomplishments at GaSouthern would have been much more impressive than (hypothetically) 4-8 and 8-4 at Tulane.
I just hope we have a QB who can make the pitch and for this season we will truly run a read spread option offense. WF will need a couple of good seasons before people come looking for him.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Well, Fritz's one bad year wouldn't remove him completely from the radar for a consistently low performing P5 program that has an AD willing to do whatever it can -within the rules- to win (i.e. potentially hire a coach that will use an offense that will likely be unpopular with the fans). As for Tulane, 6-6 is still a tough sell at this point, but that will clear up once the fan base sees how the offense performs against Grambling and Navy.
Well, Fritz is still a relatively proven commodity at HC in that he has shown can manage a program, so it would make sense for an lower end P5 AD looking to make a safe and justifiable hire of a HC that's won games as HC over a unproven coordinator hire that could easily backfire if that coordinator was not ready. As for his time at Tulane, his first year was a disaster from a W/L point of view, but he improved Tulane's football team enough in various ways in year 1 (i.e. defense) that any AD looking to hire a HC would certainly take note of and give consideration to when reviewing Fritz's resume. Those improvements are why his year 1 at Tulane isn't a resume killer for lower end P5 programs.

As for why a P5 offer did not happen after year 1 in the Sunbelt, it's impossible to know for sure, but there are some factors to consider:
1. GSU was relatively loaded in Sunbelt terms.
2. The Sunbelt was quite weak.
3. GSU was crushed by Navy.
4. GSU did not defeat anyone of relevance.

If, hypothetically speaking, Fritz defeats 6+ teams this season, he will have done so:
1. Against a respectable schedule in a division that should not be too much weaker than the weakest P5 division
2. With a team that is not loaded in AAC terms
3. by defeating at least one team of relevance (likely more than one)
lurker123
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Well, Fritz's one bad year wouldn't remove him completely from the radar for a consistently low performing P5 program that has an AD willing to do whatever it can -within the rules- to win (i.e. potentially hire a coach that will use an offense that will likely be unpopular with the fans). As for Tulane, 6-6 is still a tough sell at this point, but that will clear up once the fan base sees how the offense performs against Grambling and Navy.
Well, Fritz is still a relatively proven commodity at HC in that he has shown can manage a program, so it would make sense for an lower end P5 AD looking to make a safe and justifiable hire of a HC that's won games as HC over a unproven coordinator hire that could easily backfire if that coordinator was not ready. As for his time at Tulane, his first year was a disaster from a W/L point of view, but he improved Tulane's football team enough in various ways in year 1 (i.e. defense) that any AD looking to hire a HC would certainly take note of and give consideration to when reviewing Fritz's resume. Those improvements are why his year 1 at Tulane isn't a resume killer for lower end P5 programs.

As for why a P5 offer did not happen after year 1 in the Sunbelt, it's impossible to know for sure, but there are some factors to consider:
1. GSU was relatively loaded in Sunbelt terms.
2. The Sunbelt was quite weak.
3. GSU was crushed by Navy.
4. GSU did not defeat anyone of relevance.

If, hypothetically speaking, Fritz defeats 6+ teams this season, he will have done so:
1. Against a respectable schedule in a division that should not be too much weaker than the weakest P5 division
2. With a team that is not loaded in AAC terms
3. by defeating at least one team of relevance (likely more than one)
His buyout dramatically lowered in fall of his second year at GSU. It was linked to President of GSU staying. President left that September. Not saying without that change, he would still be at GSU but it made recruiting him by Tulane or whoever much easier.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

In other words, despite doing a WHOLE LOT MORE in his first two years at GSU to get the attention of a P5 AD than he did last year at Tulane, he's more attractive after a horrible looking 4-8 (and yes, we were TRULY UGLY to get to 4-8) than he was after dominating the Sun Belt the first two years GSU was in FBS?

Sorry, but if your selling that, I'm not buying. I think few, if any D1 AD's would be buyers as well. Otherwise he wouldn't have taken the Tulane job, he would have stayed at GSU and gotten a P5 for his accomplishments there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll go with 5-7.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

FIU and Cinci looked terrible. No reason why those should not be easy wins.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

[quote="mbawavefan12"]FIU and Cinci looked terrible. No reason why those should not be wins.[/quote

I note Memphis hung on against Duck Dynasty U
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:FIU and Cinci looked terrible. No reason why those should not be wins.
Well, it was the first game for new coaches at their programs. We have a better idea of how good those teams are, and how good Tulane is, when it's time for them to play Tulane.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Actually just added a poll to this thread to help us summarize our predictions.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

I went with 5-7. We're better, but schedule is tougher. Anything better than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

AutoNation Cure Bowl

Citrus Bowl Stadium, Orlando
Dec. 16, 2:30 p.m. (CBSSN)

Bonagura: Tulane vs. Louisiana
Hale: SMU vs. Troy
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tions-2017
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hoping 5-7 at this stage
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't see any way we beat SMU or Houston at this point.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I don't see any way we beat SMU or Houston at this point.
Maybe Houston.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I don't see any way we beat SMU or Houston at this point.
ECU in doubt as well.
All of the remaining teams can pass the football. Not good.
Jaxwave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:FIU and Cinci looked terrible. No reason why those should not be wins.
Nice jinx MBA! You actually were correct, but it doesn't take much to jinx Tulane football.
sader24
Tsunami

Looks like 3-9, we are worse this year than last. Fritz coaching a high school brand of football.
sader24
Tsunami

Recently watched Tulane-LSU 1987 tape, our offense 30 years ago was far more advanced than it is now and that offense was essentially Terrance Jones calling his own plays. LSU was #5 in the country and watching that tape made me realize that Tulane football is done.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Let’s see how we’re doing. My 5-7 is still alive.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Looks like 3-9, we are worse this year than last. Fritz coaching a high school brand of football.
This didn't age well.