Football Recruiting 2018

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Ruski
Swell

Offered Jake Moody, bio says he's the #1 rated kicker according to Kornblue Kicking. He's got offers from Navy, Army, Air Force, Bowling Green, Central Michigan. Visited Michigan and Michigan State. His profile says he plays baseball too. Maybe WF can get Jewett to dangle a preferred walk-on spot or something for him.

https://twitter.com/jmoods13/status/925455422236123136

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am told the DE from Alabama has decommitted.....I think his name is Charlie Ryan
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:I am told the DE from Alabama has decommitted.....I think his name is Charlie Ryan
This is true - it's already on 247.

https://247sports.com/player/charlie-ryan-46041493
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:I am told the DE from Alabama has decommitted.....I think his name is Charlie Ryan
Yes, he did. He tweeted it. I have a suspicion that this may be one where he was encouraged to do so. He has no rating whatsoever on 247. And the best offers he has besides ours are Army and Navy.

And, in his decommit tweet, he once again called us the University of Tulane.
https://twitter.com/_Charlie_Ryan/statu ... 8465466368
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

My guess is this decommit was encouraged by the staff. This kid is not an AAC caliber player. They should have seen the disparity in talent from the last couple of games. Fritz and company better pick it up in the recruiting game. Enough with the under the radar types. Last year we had the #108 ranked signing class and it shows. We are what the record says we are.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:My guess is this decommit was encouraged by the staff. This kid is not an AAC caliber player. They should have seen the disparity in talent from the last couple of games. Fritz and company better pick it up in the recruiting game. Enough with the under the radar types. Last year we had the #108 ranked signing class and it shows. We are what the record says we are.
We have a few kids from that class that are contributing that were not highly rated. The class he has now was improved by the decommit, from a ranking standpoint. It would be one of the better classes of the last 5-10 years. But it all comes down to who signs at the early signing date, and what we still have open after the early date. Winning at least 2 of 4, but much more somehow 3 of the last 4 would boost our recruiting. The extra few weeks of practice a low level bowl game would help us for next year as well.

I'd like to see Fritz add a local coach to his staff for recruiting purposes. I'm not sure we have enough patience to have a 5 or 6 year rebuilding, our situation is much more desperate than a long term rebuilding process requires.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:My guess is this decommit was encouraged by the staff. This kid is not an AAC caliber player. They should have seen the disparity in talent from the last couple of games. Fritz and company better pick it up in the recruiting game. Enough with the under the radar types. Last year we had the #108 ranked signing class and it shows. We are what the record says we are.
We have a few kids from that class that are contributing that were not highly rated. The class he has now was improved by the decommit, from a ranking standpoint. It would be one of the better classes of the last 5-10 years. But it all comes down to who signs at the early signing date, and what we still have open after the early date. Winning at least 2 of 4, but much more somehow 3 of the last 4 would boost our recruiting. The extra few weeks of practice a low level bowl game would help us for next year as well.

I'd like to see Fritz add a local coach to his staff for recruiting purposes.
Yes. Fritz has done a terrible job recruiting Louisiana and definitely needs a guy connected to the local area. Notice the most productive true freshman on the team is New Orleans product Cory Dublin.
Dupergreenie
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I'd like to see Fritz add a local coach to his staff for recruiting purposes.
Yes. Fritz has done a terrible job recruiting Louisiana and definitely needs a guy connected to the local area. Notice the most productive true freshman on the team is New Orleans product Cory Dublin.

I'm pretty positive David Johnson would have LOVED to stay on staff. Personally he would have been my number one person to keep on staff.
wave97
Swell

We need coaches who can walk into a living room and sell the program - warts and all. You can talk all day about Tulane academics & New Orleans culture, but in the end, you have to sell the program by being honest with recruits about Tulane Football's sh*tshow past & why/how that's changing. If current players have bought into what the staff is selling, every prospective recruit should be paired up with multiple current players in his position group during visits. If buy-in is there, it will show & you can't fake it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Se ... ll/Commits

Just in case anyone isn't paying attention:

Currently this recruiting class is ranked #7 in AAC, #76 overall, average rating 81.14

#7 is middle of the pack AAC, which is what everyone has wished we could reach
#76 overall ranking is 15-25 spots higher than we've been the past 4 years.
The highest we've been rated in the past decade was #81 in 2011, and that class rating was 80.03, which was the highest its been since the ratings started.

That means this class is the best class we've seen in the past 15 years rating wise.
Highest ranking I can find is #58 in 2003, coming off the Hawaii Bowl year, but even that class rating was only a 79.37. I personally think the ratings are more important than the rank when comparing year to year, because there's a lot more schools playing D-1 in 2018 than there were in 2003, while the rating concept is still the same.

So 81.14 is MUCH HIGHER than anything we've seen in the past 15 years. Also of note, in ALL of G5, there is ONE 4* recruit committed, and that's to Cincinnati (I think he's a local Cincy kid). Its possible to be successful without landing 4 and 5 star players.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Se ... ll/Commits

Currently this recruiting class is ranked #7 in AAC, #76 overall, average rating 81.14

#76 overall ranking is 15-25 spots higher than we've been the past 4 years..
Good stuff, thanks. Though my wish wouldn't be that we reach the middle of pack, but it's a good start.
RobertM320
Green Wave

net, obviously we'd like to be #1 in the AAC.

But so many people constantly bitch that, "our recruiting is CUSA level, we're at the bottom of the AAC. It would be nice to be competitive in recruiting with the rest of the conference." Well, in my mind, if we're right in the middle of the conference as far as recruiting, that's being competitive, so I just wanted to point that out.
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:net, obviously we'd like to be #1 in the AAC.

But so many people constantly bitch that, "our recruiting is CUSA level, we're at the bottom of the AAC. It would be nice to be competitive in recruiting with the rest of the conference." Well, in my mind, if we're right in the middle of the conference as far as recruiting, that's being competitive, so I just wanted to point that out.
I gotcha. Good points.
Ruski
Swell

We just had a middle of the AAC season and have a middle of the AAC recruiting class. Huge improvement!

Now Fritz is starting to open up the Blinn JUCO pipeline. Offered Vonte Davis, 6'1 CB, offers from New Mexico, Utah State and UMASS. They have some other 4/5 star players. Also Banks' old school Independence has some highly rated players uncomitted.
https://twitter.com/V9_Davis/status/935277414678253568
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be interesting to see if we can land Lindsey Scott
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The highest we've been rated in the past decade was #81 in 2011, and that class rating was 80.03, which was the highest its been since the ratings started.

That means this class is the best class we've seen in the past 15 years rating wise.
Highest ranking I can find is #58 in 2003, coming off the Hawaii Bowl year, but even that class rating was only a 79.37. I personally think the ratings are more important than the rank when comparing year to year, because there's a lot more schools playing D-1 in 2018 than there were in 2003, while the rating concept is still the same.

So 81.14 is MUCH HIGHER than anything we've seen in the past 15 years. Also of note, in ALL of G5, there is ONE 4* recruit committed, and that's to Cincinnati (I think he's a local Cincy kid). Its possible to be successful without landing 4 and 5 star players.
I haven't looked at this in a couple of years, but sometime around 2014 or 2015, in response to a poster (Jonathan?) that kept complaining we never get any 4 or 5 star recruits, I took a look over a 3 year period. Over the 3 year period, one 5 star recruit went to a G5 (I believe it was a D lineman that Herman had been recruiting at OSU that followed him to Houston) and eleven 4 star recruits went to a G5. So out of roughly 1000 4 and 5 star recruits 15 went to a G5 during that time frame.

Sometimes you wonder if the school the athlete signs with affects the star rating? You also have to wonder who are the "experts" giving the ratings?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:

I haven't looked at this in a couple of years, but sometime around 2014 or 2015, in response to a poster (Jonathan?) that kept complaining we never get any 4 or 5 star recruits, I took a look over a 3 year period. Over the 3 year period, one 5 star recruit went to a G5 (I believe it was a D lineman that Herman had been recruiting at OSU that followed him to Houston) and eleven 4 star recruits went to a G5. So out of roughly 1000 4 and 5 star recruits 15 went to a G5 during that time frame.

Sometimes you wonder if the school the athlete signs with affects the star rating? You also have to wonder who are the "experts" giving the ratings?
FYI, it was 5-star Ed Oliver, a Houston boy who wanted to stay home.
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Be interesting to see if we can land Lindsey Scott
tps, know any insider gossip?
RobertM320
Green Wave

And we held Oliver to one tackle when we played them a couple of weeks ago.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:Offered Jake Moody, bio says he's the #1 rated kicker according to Kornblue Kicking. He's got offers from Navy, Army, Air Force, Bowling Green, Central Michigan. Visited Michigan and Michigan State. His profile says he plays baseball too. Maybe WF can get Jewett to dangle a preferred walk-on spot or something for him.

https://twitter.com/jmoods13/status/925455422236123136
We really need to get this guy. He's kicked a 60yd FG in HS. He visited Michigan and Michigan State, but neither have actually offered him according to 247.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:
Not as of yet.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Not as of yet.
Let's put it another way. Any chance there might be some insider gossip to be had in the near future?
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Also of note, in ALL of G5, there is ONE 4* recruit committed, and that's to Cincinnati (I think he's a local Cincy kid). Its possible to be successful without landing 4 and 5 star players.
Beginning with the formation of the BCS in 1998 almost no non-BCS program and now non-P5 program has signed a 4 star or 5 star recruit. When Herman, then at Houston, signed a 4 star player it was a big deal. This is particularly true for top flight lineman who are always in very short supply.

Although CJ did land Darion Monroe for us who was 4 stars.

So, if WF signs a mostly 3 star class, he is doing about as well as possible for our present G5 status.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Darion Monroe didn't live up to his 4 star status, that's for sure.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Darion Monroe didn't live up to his 4 star status, that's for sure.
He started literally *every* game for us for four years except one where CJ suspended him for some team rules thing. He had over 330 tackles over those four years, that is an average of 82/year from the safety position (with some cornerback). He holds the all time Tulane record for fumble recoveries. He has six INTs, and 22 TFLs (again, as a safety). He was all conference in both leagues we were in when he played, including first team once or twice.

What are you expecting from a four-star safety?

Or maybe you’re talking about a different Darion Monroe?

He was a four star guy who came in and started every game as a freshman and led the team in tackles and then started basically every game for the following three years and was at or near the top in tackles each year. I think maybe your expectations of what a four-star player is might be skewed. If we had a team full of recruits who could perform at that level immediately and lead the team for four years we would win the AAC and be in the top 25 every year.