Tulane crushed by Memphis 56-26

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nowave
Ripple

Wavetime wrote:
nowave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Those are good points . But I honestly believe we wouldn't see the gnashing of teeth if we lost 27-21, looked like a college outfit in the first 2 quarters. Didn't attempt to tackle with our head only. Not give up an 11 yard run with all 11 players hanging on the running back. Not miss an easy 90 yard touchdown throw and then follow it up with the snap hitting the motion guy inside the 5......there's a dozen more
I 100% agree. We looked awful yesterday. And I have faith that WF will make the changes necessary. Unlike the NFL/NBA etc, you can't just get new players mid-season or via free agency. It takes time. Don't forget, one of the big knocks of CJs recruiting was that he wasn't necessarily getting players with the highest FB IQ. A significant part of our team is still made up of those players.
cj was not a good recruiter. but 7 of our 11 offensive starters vs memphis were recruited and signed by fritz including some juco transfers. and fritz is supposed to be some sort of an offensive mastermind. couple those two facts and im going to lay the blame on the guy who is getting paid a boatload to fix things, not coaches from years past. its time to start holding the present people involved with this program accountable.

I'm not trying to bash the point you made about 7 of the 11 offensive starters being signed by Fritz. However, he was recruiting with CJ's record.
your right but frost at ucf was recruiting off an 0-12 season the year before he got there and hes now won 13 games in 2 years and went to a bowl in year 1. and he had never been a head coach before. but somehow we thought a guy with 200 wins against the likes of east topeka community college was a good get. its not working in recruiting or on the field.

msdos
Swell

anEngineer wrote:This program and administration are going in a positive direction and that's all you can ask considering where we have been. Can't we just watch for a while and see where this takes us?
What about Dannen's hire's performance makes you think we are going in a positive direction? We have regressed in every sport that matters.
RobertM320
Green Wave

nowave wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

I'm not trying to bash the point you made about 7 of the 11 offensive starters being signed by Fritz. However, he was recruiting with CJ's record.
your right but frost at ucf was recruiting off an 0-12 season the year before he got there and hes now won 13 games in 2 years and went to a bowl in year 1. and he had never been a head coach before. but somehow we thought a guy with 200 wins against the likes of east topeka community college was a good get. its not working in recruiting or on the field.
Actually, you're wrong. Frost isn't winning with the players he recruited off of the 0-12 season. He's winning with the players that were recruited off of 3 consecutive winning bowl seasons, including a 12-1 2013 season with a Fiesta Bowl win. RS Seniors would have signed their LOI in spring of 2013, seniors/RS JRs in spring of 2014. and juniors/RS sophs in spring of 2015, coming off of 9-4 season. The 0-12 season was an anomaly, and recruits knew it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:To a certain extent, both sides are correct. On one hand, Tulane would not have the current recruits committed to it right now if it were in CUSA, and, on the other hand, most, if not all, of the CUSA programs could not defend Fritz's offense even if Fritz had to deal with lesser recruits. The latter raises the question as to whether Tulane would have still attempted to hire Fritz or if Fritz would have wanted to come here if Tulane was still in CUSA, and it is impossible to determine the answer to that.
A CUSA school, FIU, stopped it as well if not better than anybody else.
That's true, but a Butch Davis coached CUSA team is not exactly an average CUSA team. Someone could say the same thing about FAU with Lane Kiffin.
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:To a certain extent, both sides are correct. On one hand, Tulane would not have the current recruits committed to it right now if it were in CUSA, and, on the other hand, most, if not all, of the CUSA programs could not defend Fritz's offense even if Fritz had to deal with lesser recruits. The latter raises the question as to whether Tulane would have still attempted to hire Fritz or if Fritz would have wanted to come here if Tulane was still in CUSA, and it is impossible to determine the answer to that.
That's true, but a Butch Davis coached CUSA team is not exactly an average CUSA team. Someone could say the same thing about FAU with Lane Kiffin.
I think everyone saw FIU as a shitty team because of the UCF thrashing week 1. The thing is, UCF is really freaking good. Like they should be top 10 right now. Had they played the Georgia Tech game I think they'd be top 10. FIU is winning close games against shitty teams but they're still winning, in year 1 of a new coach. Everyone here should know just how difficult that can be.
nowave
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:
nowave wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

Actually, you're wrong. Frost isn't winning with the players he recruited off of the 0-12 season. He's winning with the players that were recruited off of 3 consecutive winning bowl seasons, including a 12-1 2013 season with a Fiesta Bowl win. RS Seniors would have signed their LOI in spring of 2013, seniors/RS JRs in spring of 2014. and juniors/RS sophs in spring of 2015, coming off of 9-4 season. The 0-12 season was an anomaly, and recruits knew it.
ok you are right but technically i never said frost was winning with his recruits. i just said he was winning. fritz isnt. and fritz is playing his guys that he recruited for his offense which is in the bottom 30 percent of fbs teams. doesnt bode well for the present or the future.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Well you didn't make that exception above. Bottom line is they stopped us good. So has pretty much everybody but Grambling and Tulsa. It's hyperbole to say CUSA teams couldn't stop our offense. Thank good ness we don't face anymore of them so we don't have to find out how many could stop us cold.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

nowave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
nowave wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

ok you are right but technically i never said frost was winning with his recruits. i just said he was winning. fritz isnt. and fritz is playing his guys that he recruited for his offense which is in the bottom 30 percent of fbs teams. doesnt bode well for the present or the future.
No, but you implied it by saying he was recruiting off of an 0-12 season. Recruits knew the history and weren't turned away by the 0-12 season, with coaching change and all. Recruits may make bad decisions but they aren't just plain stupid. One 7-6 record against a very weak schedule wasn't going to change recruits general impression of us, just like that 0-12 wasn't going to change the image of UCF in one season. As for Fritz, we can play right to your point. Fritz has ONE true recruiting class under his belt, and he was recruiting to a history of ineptitude. Fritz' recruits are all freshmen, RS FR, or sophs. And look how many of them are having to play with no experience, because talent wise, they're better than what we had. Vince Gibson won because Larry Smith had stocked the talent. Once that talent was gone, you saw the results. Fritz had virtually nothing to start with except a D line and some really good running backs.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

How many freshman are playing meaningful minutes? Dublin, Sample, Keurschen and P.Johnson. RS freshman and sophomores? T. Johnson, Bradwell and Brantley. Who else ?
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:I have no doubt that whatever conference we are in from Sunbelt to SEC, we would find the bottom. The realization that the Tulane administration has never and will never commit to a good athletic program is pretty slow in coming to some of you even after 60 years of pretty clear evidence.
That clarity hurts.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I have no doubt that whatever conference we are in from Sunbelt to SEC, we would find the bottom. The realization that the Tulane administration has never and will never commit to a good athletic program is pretty slow in coming to some of you even after 60 years of pretty clear evidence.
That clarity hurts.
It does feel like the board would be very happy to be middle of the road every year.

As for UCF, recruits knew the 0-12 season was just O'Leary calling it quits and giving up. It doesn't hurt that they (UCF) have a 22,000 ft^2 athlete academic support center, a 44,000 ft^2 football operations and weight training center and also an IPF. There stadium has some issues but they are always working on them each year.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:How many freshman are playing meaningful minutes? Dublin, Sample, Keurschen and P.Johnson. RS freshman and sophomores? T. Johnson, Bradwell and Brantley. Who else ?
RB Stephon Huderson, WR Jaetavian Toles, LB Larry Bryant, DB's Will Harper and P.J. Hall, LB Lawrence Graham, K Merek Glover, WR Darnell Mouney, WR Chris Johnson.

Some just on ST, but most are getting some minutes in games.

And yet, there's probably a dozen or more from last years class that will RS, so he's not really playing with a lot of his players. So most of what he's accomplished has been with CJs recruits. No way anyone can say that Fritz has his players in place.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here's your box score to close out this thread. Sorry for the delay gents. I've been under the weather due to Voodoofest.

Total Yards Gained:
TU: 326 yards
Memphis: 557 yards

Time of Possession:
TU: 37:28
Memphis: 22:32

First Downs Gained:
TU:18
Memphis:18

3rd down efficiency:
TU: 11/23
Memphis: 9/14

Passing Yards:
TU: 15/31 for 203 yards (Banks: 3 passing tds
Memphis: 18/31 for 298 yards (Ferguson: 3 passing tds, 1 int)

Rushing Yards:
TU: 123 yards (Hilliard 19 attempts for 67 yards, Bradwell 5 attempts for 27 yards, Banks 21 attempts for 19 yards and 1 td)
Memphis: 259 yards (Henderson 10 for 112 yards 1 td, Pollard 3 for 76 yards 1 td, Taylor 14 for 50 yards)

Turnovers:
TU: 1 fumble lost
Memphis: 1 int

Penalties:
TU:4 for 40 yards
Memphis: 8 for 80 yards

I didn't get to watch the game, but watched the highlights and it didn't look pretty. Also based on the comments on this thread, we just got outclassed/outmatched. Our bowl hopes are still there, but it's tough sledding. The rest of the games are all winnable, we just got to put the pieces together. Here's to hopefully a better performance at homecoming this weekend. Roll DAMN Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I said players who are playing meaningful minutes. That would mean Mooney, Glover and Hall from your list. That's 10 out of those two classes which I don't think meets your statement that so many of them are playing. Remember too that those two classes were pretty much at the max numbers that can be brought in. In fact this last class had more than 25.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nowave wrote:
Wait a minute.

Frost inherited a MUCH more talented roster than Fritz did. I'm not saying he's not a better coach, but look at what UCF did in the two or three years before he got there. Their coach stopped coaching and basically mailed it in, and the team did the same on the field. But Frost took over a team that O'Leary had built into a BCF contender. Yes, they went 0 for the season when O'Leary decided he didn't want to coach, but that team had WAY more talent than Tulane has had since the late 90's.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:I said players who are playing meaningful minutes. That would mean Mooney, Glover and Hall from your list. That's 10 out of those two classes which I don't think meets your statement that so many of them are playing. Remember too that those two classes were pretty much at the max numbers that can be brought in. In fact this last class had more than 25.
So you don't think that 25% of your 2-deep roster being FR/RS FR/SO, is high? That leads to mistakes due to inexperience, and these guys aren't 5-star athletes where their pure talent can cover up some mistakes. Again, when we get into 2018 and 2019, we'll see the true indication of what lies ahead. I always go back to Larry Smith: 2-9,3-8,4-7,9-3. If he had stayed, we'd have had numerous 8-9 win seasons and probably be in a P5 right now.

Or to put it bluntly, our 2017 team would beat the 2015 team by at least 3 TDs. So how can we not be better?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:JV coach, JV results.

1.2 million dollars well spent
But if we hired Andy Cannizaro to coach the 4th most important sport, all would be well in Greenie land.

What a crock of shit post.

Our 2017 team would beat our 2014 (N.O. Bowl) team by double digits.

I sure wish we hired Dino Babers, Scott Frost, or a number of others. But that doesn't mean we didn't get a good coach. But this coach runs an offense that is 180 degrees from what he inherited. I'm not a huge fan of Fritz, but he knows a hell of a lot more about football than you, me, and ANYONE posting here. Including the mods.

And if you look back, I posted that Fritz's offense was going to be a challenge with what he inherits. Many posters replied saying "he doesn't really run an option offense." Even this year we've had posters saying it's not an option offense. It is. IT IS. It's very similar to what the Military Academies run, but out of the shotgun every snap. I don't love it, but it is what it is.
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's the two deep for Cincinnati. We've got 46 instead of 44, because we list two RB and three WR. Of the 46, 21 (almost half) are either FR, RS FR, or SO. We're very young, and yet far better than what we were 24 months ago.

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 9983542273
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:I said players who are playing meaningful minutes. That would mean Mooney, Glover and Hall from your list. That's 10 out of those two classes which I don't think meets your statement that so many of them are playing. Remember too that those two classes were pretty much at the max numbers that can be brought in. In fact this last class had more than 25.
So you don't think that 25% of your 2-deep roster being FR/RS FR/SO, is high? That leads to mistakes due to inexperience, and these guys aren't 5-star athletes where their pure talent can cover up some mistakes. Again, when we get into 2018 and 2019, we'll see the true indication of what lies ahead. I always go back to Larry Smith: 2-9,3-8,4-7,9-3. If he had stayed, we'd have had numerous 8-9 win seasons and probably be in a P5 right now.

Or to put it bluntly, our 2017 team would beat the 2015 team by at least 3 TDs. So how can we not be better?
It's less than 50%. As for the kicker I don't consider him to be on the two deep as for Offense and defense. More importantly he's a walk on not a recruit. Plus he's not even good enough for us to be able to attempt many field goals we should be able to. Your response is also off point. I was simply correcting the fact that many of the players in those two classes were playing b/c they are better than the previous recruits. Those two classes had close to 45 freshman in them. Only ten are playing. Some b/c of injuries to others. Plus they still aren't performing all that well. T. Johnson certainly has his limitations. Keurschen has his too. To try and compare this to Smith's classes is just way off the mark. Those guys had real talent and went on to good, long NFL careers. That's why when Smith was here and people were calling for his head after years 2 and 3 I told them they were wrong. I don't think anyone is calling for WF head but if they are when this season ends I wouldn't go to bat in the same manner I did for Smith.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Here's the two deep for Cincinnati. We've got 46 instead of 44, because we list two RB and three WR. Of the 46, 21 (almost half) are either FR, RS FR, or SO. We're very young, and yet far better than what we were 24 months ago.

The players playing the bulk of the minutes are upperclassmen. This is not a young team. In fact this is one of the few times in many years people can't run around yelling were young, wait till next year. Unfortunately next year we'll be back there.
OUG
Riptide

Ruski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
I think everyone saw FIU as a shitty team because of the UCF thrashing week 1. The thing is, UCF is really freaking good. Like they should be top 10 right now. Had they played the Georgia Tech game I think they'd be top 10. FIU is winning close games against shitty teams but they're still winning, in year 1 of a new coach. Everyone here should know just how difficult that can be.
I was telling some handicapper friends I know prior to their game against Navy that I believed UCF to be a top ten team. They are currently 8th in the Massey Composite. Several of the computer rankings in that index have them as high as #2.

FIU has played other poor games though. That was a game we should have had. We were 14 point favorites for a reason. I had a bad feeling the night before the game though. Watching the players' on the Tulane Football Snapchat story, it seemed like they were not focused for the game. They were too hyped for the trip to Miami.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
msdos wrote:JV coach, JV results.

1.2 million dollars well spent
But if we hired Andy Cannizaro to coach the 4th most important sport, all would be well in Greenie land.

What a crock of sh*t post.

Our 2017 team would beat our 2014 (N.O. Bowl) team by double digits.

I sure wish we hired Dino Babers, Scott Frost, or a number of others. But that doesn't mean we didn't get a good coach. But this coach runs an offense that is 180 degrees from what he inherited. I'm not a huge fan of Fritz, but he knows a hell of a lot more about football than you, me, and ANYONE posting here. Including the mods.

And if you look back, I posted that Fritz's offense was going to be a challenge with what he inherits. Many posters replied saying "he doesn't really run an option offense." Even this year we've had posters saying it's not an option offense. It is. IT IS. It's very similar to what the Military Academies run, but out of the shotgun every snap. I don't love it, but it is what it is.
He doesn't run an option offense. Just because we run some option plays does not mean we run the flexbone that those schools run. We run an inside zone-based option that allows the QB to make key reads pre and post-snap and decide whether to pull the ball or run it. On less than ten plays a game are we running a pure option outside-pitch play or some version of a triple option with a dive play. It is a part of our offense but to compare it to the military academies is just not accurate.

I do agree with your point that Fritz did not have the tools to run what we are running when he got here, because to run our offense you need 1) an offensive line that knows how to zone block, 2) a QB that has multiple skill sets and can make the right pre- and post-snap reads and execute the QB runs, and 3) a possession oriented wide receiver corps with size and hands.

But you're wrong in characterizing our offense as an "option offense"..."similar to the military academies"
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Here's the two deep for Cincinnati. We've got 46 instead of 44, because we list two RB and three WR. Of the 46, 21 (almost half) are either FR, RS FR, or SO. We're very young, and yet far better than what we were 24 months ago.

The players playing the bulk of the minutes are upperclassmen. This is not a young team. In fact this is one of the few times in many years people can't run around yelling were young, wait till next year. Unfortunately next year we'll be back there.
But win, you're back to the same thing. The bulk of the minutes are upperclassmen. Yes they have experience, but they don't have talent. Those are CJ recruits. Obviously I don't mean Hilliard and Badie and a few others. My point was the talent Fritz has brought in is better than the talent that has gone in the past two seasons, but the new talent is young. The 2018 recruiting class currently rates substantially higher on a per recruit rating than any class we've brought in this century. The ratings are measured to the 1/100 of a percent, and many times there's only a few 100ths of a percent between players or overall average, but this year we're well over 81.30 average. The best we have EVER had since 247 started this is a 79.93. We' ve NEVER had a class rating over 80.00. EVER. So let's get Fritz' players on the field in some substantial numbers before we write him off.
Wavetime
Swell

nowave wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
nowave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Those are good points . But I honestly believe we wouldn't see the gnashing of teeth if we lost 27-21, looked like a college outfit in the first 2 quarters. Didn't attempt to tackle with our head only. Not give up an 11 yard run with all 11 players hanging on the running back. Not miss an easy 90 yard touchdown throw and then follow it up with the snap hitting the motion guy inside the 5......there's a dozen more
I 100% agree. We looked awful yesterday. And I have faith that WF will make the changes necessary. Unlike the NFL/NBA etc, you can't just get new players mid-season or via free agency. It takes time. Don't forget, one of the big knocks of CJs recruiting was that he wasn't necessarily getting players with the highest FB IQ. A significant part of our team is still made up of those players.
cj was not a good recruiter. but 7 of our 11 offensive starters vs memphis were recruited and signed by fritz including some juco transfers. and fritz is supposed to be some sort of an offensive mastermind. couple those two facts and im going to lay the blame on the guy who is getting paid a boatload to fix things, not coaches from years past. its time to start holding the present people involved with this program accountable.

Yes that's true, but before the 0-12 they were 9-4 then 12-1 so they already had a solid base before their coach airmailed it in for only that 1 year.
Wavetime
Swell

msdos wrote:
anEngineer wrote:This program and administration are going in a positive direction and that's all you can ask considering where we have been. Can't we just watch for a while and see where this takes us?
What about Dannen's hire's performance makes you think we are going in a positive direction? We have regressed in every sport that matters.

I may be wrong here, but I really do believe that Dunleavy will be successful at Tulane. He recruited some solid athletes and I believe he will do better with his contacts. Baseball, well, he screwed up. Football - are you really going to compare CJ to WF?