Tulane crushed by Memphis 56-26

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:All good points. It becomes clearer each year that Tulane administration has no commitment to athletics.
Amen brother. You hit the nail on the head. They haven’t figured out what commitment really means.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:Hey everybody, our team GPA is higher than theirs!
You really know how to hit the exposed nerve. Ouch!! :lol:
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Look at our offense and try to imagine it simulating this Memphis offense. You can see how unprepared that would make the defense to defend Memphis.
People post this two or three times a week. Our starters and 2nd, and even third team players don't try to stimulate the opponent. As a matter of fact, there's little time spent during the week with the starters on both sides of the ball playing against one another. What the Offense runs has little affect of how the Defense prepares. There's something called the Scout Team. And yes, they aren't anywhere near as good as the opponent, but every team runs an inferior scout team and rarely has the 1's going against the 1's full speed during the season.

And this outcome is NOT just due to admissions standards. We could beat Memphis like a drum for years with the same differential. We just haven't been any good in a long time.
We haven’t beat Memphis in a decade.
I know. We've been worse than they have. There were years were both were REALLY bad, but Memphis has hired good coaches that even though they move on, they keep building. Norvell will be gone soon, and for good reason. Does anyone think Fritz is getting that P5 offer?

Franklin with the INT. A score before the half at least keeps interest.
Zero chance that WF gets an offer from anybody. But if he somehow did, he’s gone because he now realizes how effed up Tulane is.
To win in this league you have to run an offense similar to USF, UCF and Memphis. We just don’t have any type of pass attack.
Unless you can run like Navy.
sader24
Tsunami

I'll be honest, I bought in after Tulsa, but upon further review we beat Army with a miraculous late game drive where we converted multiple 4th downs. We beat Tulsa in a game that was moved up to 11am and then 10am with a Hurricane barreling down on us and Tulsa clearly not ready or interested in playing. We got outplayed and outcoached by an inferior FIU team and pretty much flat out dominated. We got our ass handed to us for 3 quarters by USF then moved it on them when they called off the dogs. Now truthfully we are completely outclassed by the athletes USF and Memphis had, but we were not outclassed by FIU. Running this offense we are looking at a 4-5 year rebuilding job. I don't know if this fanbase will survive that.
TURVS71
Swell

Just back from the game....On several occasions tonight, I have to say that I was embarassed to wear the Olive and Blue. This is perhaps the WORST tackling performance I have seen in all of my years of attending and watching Tulane football. Arm tackling and tackling at the shoulder pad level was plentiful. At times it looked like high school vs college. The play involving the Memphis running back was the epitome. Happened right in front of me. Carrying our players 7-8 yards while we look like playground level talent is just sad. I also will have to say that it could have been Toledo or Johnson on the sideline coaching this team. Perhaps Willie Fritz doesn't have what it takes to coach at this level. I don't know but again I saw a team that rolled over in the first half and tried to mount a comeback. Wasn't going to happen. Something, I don't know what it is, is missing from this team. I know our talent level is lacking but I believe it's more than that.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Once again we just have a bad football team. It's not about academics. . People can point to Wilson's brother but we have health and wellness, homeland security, digital whatever and some other athlete friendly majors and we accept athletes at the NCAA minimums. We have almost 70 years of miserable losing and piss poor facilities that cement our image as a small time program. That's our problem. Recruiting under the radar types has never worked and never will.

Fritz is generally conservative to begin with. He's now older and coaching at the highest level he ever coached at so he's really fallen back on his conservative principles. It won't work. He's sounding like all of our recent failed coaches where he keeps admitting a problem and says he's going to change it but never does. He keeps saying he knows we need to pass the ball but then doesn't till it's too late. Like I said a good while back he needs to have someone on his staff pull up the film from 97-98 and see how RR overcame a poor OL. He came up with blocking schemes that allowed them to hold the pass rush off enough to let the plays develop. He won't though and so this ends poorly.

As for how bad our tackling has become you can attribute that to our undersized guys having used up their bodies by midseason. It's only going to get worse.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

I said it before, and I will say it again.

We should have stayed in C-USA! We are a paper C-USA team trapped in the American Athletic Conference. Until we get the coaches, facilities and school commitments we need to be a major player in FBS football, we need to stick to 2013 type football schedules. I would rather watch us play in the Bud's Broiler Bowl vs a 7-8 win Sun Belt team in December vs sitting at home after a 2-4 game winning season.

Eaglewave? What's up with your boy Frtiz? We looked like an Army football team of the early 2000's vs Memphis! God!
wave97
Swell

There seems to be a lot of loyalty & cohesion on Coach Fritz's staff. That is a good thing - until it isn't. I have no idea what Lionel Washington is doing, but I would love to see him at the helm of the defense putting his mark on tactics, scheme & recruiting skilled DB's & athletic big heavies up front.
Is our free safety the leading tackler?
Pepper
Swell

Coaching isn't the issue with this staff. The talent gap is so wide it's embarrassing. Memphis, outside of Oklahoma, probably had the most talent we will face this year. There was no commitment, there is no commitment and there will never be a commitment to athletics unless a T Boone Pickens type alum comes along. Seriously guys, our facilities are so second rate that I'm sorry but if you want 3 & 4 star recruits, you can't sell them on academics, mardi gras and bourbon street. It's a failed model. I do think the defense, for the first time, kind of mailed it in, once we got way behind. Can't blame them. We haven't played with a lead in quite a while. Offensively, WF can say we need to pass more but the OL has been atrocious for 15 years and we really do not have a polished throwing QB. I'm telling you Nick Saban could not win here. I do believe we have winnable games left on the schedule and 6 would be a milestone but 5 looks more realistic.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
swampnik
Surge

35-0 to start and you kinda already know what the final score might look like.
One bright spot on the "no quit" though: After falling behind 35-0 and being outgained 418-20 in yardage by the 11:20 mark of the second quarter, the Tulane offense mounted a pair of scoring drives just before halftime. After 11:20 mark it was yardage to TU 305-130. Great but they gave up more big plays down the stretch. Come soon HC!

Well the logic of Yulman attracting the fans again after winning records and ranking does not mesh with the reality of Memphis ranked. no. 24 and 7-1 record only drawing 18k to the Liberty Bowl for this game.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote:35-0 to start and you kinda already know what the final score might look like.
One bright spot on the "no quit" though: After falling behind 35-0 and being outgained 418-20 in yardage by the 11:20 mark of the second quarter, the Tulane offense mounted a pair of scoring drives just before halftime. After 11:20 mark it was yardage to TU 305-130. Great but they gave up more big plays down the stretch. Come soon HC!

Well the logic of Yulman attracting the fans again after winning records and ranking does not mesh with the reality of Memphis ranked. no. 24 and 7-1 record only drawing 18k to the Liberty Bowl for this game.
Not sure about Yulman but the low turnout was probably because of Friday night, National TV, rain, cold and Tulane (3-4) as the opposition.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I thought we’d lose but be somewhat competitive. This getting behind by 4 to 5 TD’s is a big cause for concern. The offense we run is not built for coming from behind and our pass defense really looks bad. We win 2 more games. Cincy and ECU. Houston has superior athletes and that will carry them when we play. They also have a week off before they play us. SMU became bowl eligible last night with its win over Tulsa. They pass the ball well which will give us trouble. They are now 6-2 and we play them on the road. We’re a bad road team but should be able to beat ECU.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Once again we just have a bad football team. It's not about academics. . People can point to Wilson's brother but we have health and wellness, homeland security, digital whatever and some other athlete friendly majors and we accept athletes at the NCAA minimums. We have almost 70 years of miserable losing and piss poor facilities that cement our image as a small time program. That's our problem. Recruiting under the radar types has never worked and never will.

Fritz is generally conservative to begin with. He's now older and coaching at the highest level he ever coached at so he's really fallen back on his conservative principles. It won't work. He's sounding like all of our recent failed coaches where he keeps admitting a problem and says he's going to change it but never does. He keeps saying he knows we need to pass the ball but then doesn't till it's too late. Like I said a good while back he needs to have someone on his staff pull up the film from 97-98 and see how RR overcame a poor OL. He came up with blocking schemes that allowed them to hold the pass rush off enough to let the plays develop. He won't though and so this ends poorly.

As for how bad our tackling has become you can attribute that to our undersized guys having used up their bodies by midseason. It's only going to get worse.
+1
We got outcoached the third week in a row.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:I thought we’d lose but be somewhat competitive. This getting behind by 4 to 5 TD’s is a big cause for concern. The offense we run is not built for coming from behind and our pass defense really looks bad. We win 2 more games. Cincy and ECU. Houston has superior athletes and that will carry them when we play. They also have a week off before they play us. SMU became bowl eligible last night with its win over Tulsa. They pass the ball well which will give us trouble. They are now 6-2 and we play them on the road. We’re a bad road team but should be able to beat ECU.
Cincinnati and ECU are bad. Houston and SMU are definitely the challenge to see if we can go bowling.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:Coaching isn't the issue with this staff. The talent gap is so wide it's embarrassing. Memphis, outside of Oklahoma, probably had the most talent we will face this year. There was no commitment, there is no commitment and there will never be a commitment to athletics unless a T Boone Pickens type alum comes along. Seriously guys, our facilities are so second rate that I'm sorry but if you want 3 & 4 star recruits, you can't sell them on academics, mardi gras and bourbon street. It's a failed model. I do think the defense, for the first time, kind of mailed it in, once we got way behind. Can't blame them. We haven't played with a lead in quite a while. Offensively, WF can say we need to pass more but the OL has been atrocious for 15 years and we really do not have a polished throwing QB. I'm telling you Nick Saban could not win here. I do believe we have winnable games left on the schedule and 6 would be a milestone but 5 looks more realistic.
+1,000
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Bowden and RR went 12-0 with not much different OL. They were able to wear teams out with the no huddle. We were small on the line but ran an offense that took advantage of our skill players.
And Oklahoma won a national title with the wishbone. When Bowden/RR were running the no-huddle it was brand new. No one had seen that offense before. Now teams have seen it, so you need the right athletes and line to execute it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Well, another morning after, and time to once again start picking up the rubble. A couple random thoughts. First, our tackling was once again horrific—seems fair to conclude the WF’s innovative approach to tackling (remember all the press coverage right after he arrived at Tulane) isn’t working.
Secondly, as far as our remaining games, I’m not sold on SMU, they have played a very weak schedule, and only beat Tulsa last night because of some remarkably bad officiating. That said, I don’t take any opponent for granted. We could win our last four games, and we can just as easily lose them all—I have no idea which Tulane team is going to show up from game to game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Bowden and RR went 12-0 with not much different OL. They were able to wear teams out with the no huddle. We were small on the line but ran an offense that took advantage of our skill players.
And Oklahoma won a national title with the wishbone. When Bowden/RR were running the no-huddle it was brand new. No one had seen that offense before. Now teams have seen it, so you need the right athletes and line to execute it.
Yes but it still works in our league today. We haven’t improved game to game like I thought we would. We’ve regressed in fact. Penalties and Special Team failures continue. With that said Cincy and ECU are very bad teams. No reason we shouldn’t beat them both.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Should change the mascot to the Tulane Opossums. We play dead when we're at home and get killed whenever we go on the road.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Yes but it still works in our league today. We haven’t improved game to game like I thought we would. We’ve regressed in fact. Penalties and Special Team failures continue. With that said Cincy and ECU are very bad teams. No reason we shouldn’t beat them both.
It works, but I'm still not convinced we have the athletes yet. I like the fact that the new RB commit runs a legit 4.4. Last night when Memphis' RBs got in the open field our DBs looked slow by comparison. And I still don't know why offensively we don't see more of Badie and Glenn to push the edges. However, I'm beginning to think our problems may be more defensive than offensive. Both have problems, but we just don't seem to be able to stop anyone with a decent offense. I know our offense put the D in a bad position last night with all the 3 and outs in the first half, but we didn't come close to stopping them.

I think back to some of those Houston teams... speed kills, and we don't have enough of it yet.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
It works, but I'm still not convinced we have the athletes yet. I like the fact that the new RB commit runs a legit 4.4. Last night when Memphis' RBs got in the open field our DBs looked slow by comparison. And I still don't know why offensively we don't see more of Badie and Glenn to push the edges. However, I'm beginning to think our problems may be more defensive than offensive. Both have problems, but we just don't seem to be able to stop anyone with a decent offense. I know our offense put the D in a bad position last night with all the 3 and outs in the first half, but we didn't come close to stopping them.

I think back to some of those Houston teams... speed kills, and we don't have enough of it yet.
Rich Rod would make this offense hum with what we have. He would certainly utilize Badie and Glenn. He would scheme it to where are O-line would be serviceable in pass protection. Like tps said other teams in this league use it and thrive with it. We always have good skill position players. Yet we have now hired 4 coaches in a row since RR left that don't run the spread offense . It's beyond ridiculous. When we hire our next coach it has to be someone that's going to run the spread. No one is going to want the job so it may well be LW and he needs to commit to hiring an OC that runs the spread. This shit is beyond being old.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Rich Rod would make this offense hum with what we have. He would certainly utilize Badie and Glenn. He would scheme it to where are O-line would be serviceable in pass protection. Like tps said other teams in this league use it and thrive with it. We always have good skill position players. Yet we have now hired 4 coaches in a row since RR left that don't run the spread offense . It's beyond ridiculous. When we hire our next coach it has to be someone that's going to run the spread. No one is going to want the job so it may well be LW and he needs to commit to hiring an OC that runs the spread. This sh*t is beyond being old.
This. Mike Yurcich (Oklahoma State OC) and Doug Meacham both wanted the Tulane job, but they were both turned down for Fritz, and, while it is understandable that an AD would go with Fritz over the P5 coordinators due to Fritz's HC resume, those coordinators have proven that their offenses work at the highest levels of college football while Fritz has not. Hopefully, they will still be in play if Fritz does not work out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:I said it before, and I will say it again.

We should have stayed in C-USA! We are a paper C-USA team trapped in the American Athletic Conference. Until we get the coaches, facilities and school commitments we need to be a major player in FBS football, we need to stick to 2013 type football schedules. I would rather watch us play in the Bud's Broiler Bowl vs a 7-8 win Sun Belt team in December vs sitting at home after a 2-4 game winning season.

Eaglewave? What's up with your boy Frtiz? We looked like an Army football team of the early 2000's vs Memphis! God!
And you're wrong again. That's right out of the Dickson playbook. All we would be there is at the bottom of CUSA. We'd be better off giving up athletics than to take yet another step down.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I got what i expected,...Memphis State / Prop 48 U looking to make an impression on Friday nite before schools ranked above them get hammered on Saturday....I expected the poor tackling, it has been ingrained since CJ...If Tulane has one of the best Secondaries in the AAC, I feel sorry for the rest of the league...They have High School QB's here in metro Austin, who are only being recruited by Austin Community College ( and they do not even have a football team) that could throw against Tulane...the tackling as I posted before, is 90 percent "wanna" and 10 percent "form"....that posted, Tulane will not win a game the rest of the year, every team on the schedule is more physical than Tulane and seem to be improving...Tulane seems to be imploding...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
oliveandblue
Surge

I want to see Tulane turn into a disciplined triple option team. The offense we run now is unorganized and confused.

I am not sold by spread offenses that don't control games.