USF Game Day Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here's your box score from the game.

Total Yards Gained:
TU: 415 yards
USF: 505 yards

Rushing Yards: (when the running game is our strength, we shouldn't get beat so badly in the run game, props to USF for flipping the script on us)
TU: 194 yards (Hilliards 24 carries for 91 yards 1 td, Badies 5 for 50 yards 1 td, Bradwell 6 carries for 24 yards)
USF: 378 yards (Tice 13 carries for 141 yards, 1 td, Flowers 13 for 138 yards, 1 td, Johnson 20 carries for 84 yards 1 td)

Passing Yards:
TU: 221 yards (Banks, 9/19 passing, 217 yards, 2 tds, 1 int) (Encalade 2 catches for 93 yards 1 td, Mooney 3 for 61 yards, Clewis 2 for 31 yards, Hilliard 1 catch for 26 yards 1 td)
USF: 127 yards (Flowers, 127 yards, 10/24 passing, 2 tds, 1 int) (Saloman 3 for 51 yards 1 td, Scantling 3 for 41 yards 1 td, Dillion 1 catch for 14 yards)

Time of Possession:
TU: 26:38
USF: 32:22

First Downs Gained:
TU: 21
USF: 25

3rd down efficiency:
TU: 4-11
USF: 6-15

Turnovers:
TU:1
USF:1

Penalties: (VERY SLOPPY DAY, 3 tds called back, only scored on one of those tds called back)
TU: 12 for 91 yards
USF: 7 for 89 yards

The biggest problem from the game offensively was o-line not holding up against USF defense. Banks was under constant pressure when passing. The biggest problem on defense was the tackling. We just didn't wrap up and I counted around at least 16 missed tackles if not more... this definitely needs to be fixed ASAP if we want to make a bowl game. All of the remaining games are winnable, but it's going to take better tackling and better o-line protection. Happy Monday, ROLL DAMN WAVE!

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Ruski wrote:Pretty much all that needs to be said about this game has been said. Just one thought crossed my mind. How much different would the reaction be, had we taken care of business at FIU?

I think the "we've turn the corner" argument goes into full effect. This was actually a pretty good result. Frustrasting? Sure. But shows another side of Fritz that he can rally troops late.
And don't forget the rumblings on this forum as some have noted was Fritz inability to produce in the second half. I like the effort I saw towards the end, but I wish it would have came a little sooner.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GPS, for what its worth, I wouldn't necessarily say that USF flipped the script on us. Our rushing offense is #10 in the country, but theirs is #6 I think. If anything, they succeeding in forcing us to pass, which is not our strength, and we did not force them to pass, which is not their strength either.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Ruski wrote:Pretty much all that needs to be said about this game has been said. Just one thought crossed my mind. How much different would the reaction be, had we taken care of business at FIU?

I think the "we've turn the corner" argument goes into full effect. This was actually a pretty good result. Frustrasting? Sure. But shows another side of Fritz that he can rally troops late.
And don't forget the rumblings on this forum as some have noted was Fritz inability to produce in the second half. I like the effort I saw towards the end, but I wish it would have came a little sooner.
I was one of the biggest ones making a stink about Fritz in the 2nd half. I haven't actually been able to watch the 2nd half in full yet (had to turn it off after the first due to other commitments). Was the comeback due to Fritz adjustments? Or was it because USF was playing their backups?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Here's your box score from the game.

Total Yards Gained:
TU: 415 yards
USF: 505 yards

Rushing Yards: (when the running game is our strength, we shouldn't get beat so badly in the run game, props to USF for flipping the script on us)
TU: 194 yards (Hilliards 24 carries for 91 yards 1 td, Badies 5 for 50 yards 1 td, Bradwell 6 carries for 24 yards)
USF: 378 yards (Tice 13 carries for 141 yards, 1 td, Flowers 13 for 138 yards, 1 td, Johnson 20 carries for 84 yards 1 td)

Passing Yards:
TU: 221 yards (Banks, 9/19 passing, 217 yards, 2 tds, 1 int) (Encalade 2 catches for 93 yards 1 td, Mooney 3 for 61 yards, Clewis 2 for 31 yards, Hilliard 1 catch for 26 yards 1 td)
USF: 127 yards (Flowers, 127 yards, 10/24 passing, 2 tds, 1 int) (Saloman 3 for 51 yards 1 td, Scantling 3 for 41 yards 1 td, Dillion 1 catch for 14 yards)

Time of Possession:
TU: 26:38
USF: 32:22

First Downs Gained:
TU: 21
USF: 25

3rd down efficiency:
TU: 4-11
USF: 6-15

Turnovers:
TU:1
USF:1

Penalties: (VERY SLOPPY DAY, 3 tds called back, only scored on one of those tds called back)
TU: 12 for 91 yards
USF: 7 for 89 yards

The biggest problem from the game offensively was o-line not holding up against USF defense. Banks was under constant pressure when passing. The biggest problem on defense was the tackling. We just didn't wrap up and I counted around at least 16 missed tackles if not more... this definitely needs to be fixed ASAP if we want to make a bowl game. All of the remaining games are winnable, but it's going to take better tackling and better o-line protection. Happy Monday, ROLL DAMN WAVE!
The O-Line was outmatched and outclassed before they took the field. The Fritz scheme that many complain about is what allowed us to gain 194 rushing yards against a team in the top 5 (going into the game) against the rush, giving up less than 80 ypg. I think we're the 2nd team (admittedly a weak schedule) to crack 100 yards rushing against USF. The passing stats were better than I could have hoped for, given our performance coming into the game and their defensive rankings.

Ruski made a good point when he said most of the bellyaching wouldn't be going on had we taken care of business at FIU the previous week. I had this game down as a loss before the season started, and nothing that happened leading up to the game changed my mind. USF is a very good team. They played a poor second half after they had a 34-7 lead. I'd bet dollars to dimes they're ranked when the bowl games are over.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

I thought the turning point in the game was Tulane's second-to-last possession in the first half. There was about 3 mins left and we got the ball around the Tulane 20. Instead of being aggressive, we seemed to go into an offensive shell with the play selection. I guess they expected to just run out the clock but USF made tackles for losses and stopped the clock.

It was a poor decision. USF got the ball back in good field position and quickly scored to make it 20-7. With USF getting the opening 2nd half kick, it made a huge difference. 13-7 at half would have felt pretty good. I thought the coaches kind of let the team down on that series. USF scored in 3 plays to open the 2nd half and it was instantly 27-7. It was essentially a 2 minute span where we gave up 14 points.

The other disappointing decision was to try an onside kick with 7:40 left after we had pulled to within 13. The defense was playing well and we could have pinned them back. It didn't cost us any additional points because we blocked the FG attempt but it cost time and field position late in the game. It was also clear that we really didn't have a kicker who knew how to get the ball tumbling properly to make it difficult for USF to field it.
anEngineer
Riptide

Ruski wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:

I was one of the biggest ones making a stink about Fritz in the 2nd half. I haven't actually been able to watch the 2nd half in full yet (had to turn it off after the first due to other commitments). Was the comeback due to Fritz adjustments? Or was it because USF was playing their backups?
USF was not playing backups and their fans were getting kind of nervous. The Tulane offense had really hit a stride and the defense was playing well. All the USF fans were chanting and singing their songs earlier, but they weren't singing at the end. As good teams do, USF was able to get 2-3 first downs to run out the clock, but they really did not want to see the Tulane offense on the field again in a 6 point game.
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote:I thought the turning point in the game was Tulane's second-to-last possession in the first half. There was about 3 mins left and we got the ball around the Tulane 20. Instead of being aggressive, we seemed to go into an offensive shell with the play selection. I guess they expected to just run out the clock but USF made tackles for losses and stopped the clock.

It was a poor decision. USF got the ball back in good field position and quickly scored to make it 20-7. With USF getting the opening 2nd half kick, it made a huge difference. 13-7 at half would have felt pretty good. I thought the coaches kind of let the team down on that series. USF scored in 3 plays to open the 2nd half and it was instantly 27-7. It was essentially a 2 minute span where we gave up 14 points.

The other disappointing decision was to try an onside kick with 7:40 left after we had pulled to within 13. The defense was playing well and we could have pinned them back. It didn't cost us any additional points because we blocked the FG attempt but it cost time and field position late in the game. It was also clear that we really didn't have a kicker who knew how to get the ball tumbling properly to make it difficult for USF to field it.
I definitely agree that was the turning point. USF has quick strike capabilities and I was afraid of that very thing happening when we punted back to them. I was also disappointed with the decision we made in the second quarter to go for it on 4th and 1 at the USF 42. I think the score was still 7-0 at the time, and USF had started their previous two possessions at the 1 yard line, which limited their playcalling. I felt we should have punted again. Instead, they stopped us and it basically flipped the field in their favor.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:Oh, and one more thing. I can't say enough about how much the advertisers have improved on gotula.net. Now I can't stay off the computer.
You know, those Google Ads aren't that random... :mrgreen:
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:Oh, and one more thing. I can't say enough about how much the advertisers have improved on gotula.net. Now I can't stay off the computer.
You know, those Google Ads aren't that random... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

One final thought regarding attendance: This is a game against an SEC school, in the heavily populated Northeast, where a lot of these guys go to school. They're playing better than in recent years, and their coach is the same one that took them to a BCS bowl not that many years ago, so there's a lot of buzz about the program. And yet, they can't even DISTRIBUTE 20K tickets for a game against an SEC school.
https://twitter.com/ManthonyCourant/sta ... 8062199809
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:One final thought regarding attendance: This is a game against an SEC school, in the heavily populated Northeast, where a lot of these guys go to school. They're playing better than in recent years, and their coach is the same one that took them to a BCS bowl not that many years ago, so there's a lot of buzz about the program. And yet, they can't even DISTRIBUTE 20K tickets for a game against an SEC school.
Missou does nothing to raise interest in the state of Connecticut. The average football fan in this state may or may not know that Missou is in the SEC. I do because I follow college and pro football pretty closely, and because I was a Chase Daniel fan (he's once again backing up Drew Brees after signing a very lucrative contract in Philadelphia a few years ago) since his High School days at Southlake Carroll (TX).

I'm not sure what they mean by "distributing" tickets, but there's a decent paying season ticket holder fan base for UConn football (though they have HUGE no-show numbers and tickets can be had for free in the parking lot most games.) But the Huskies will, once again, see their Women's basketball team play in front of more fans than their football team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:One final thought regarding attendance: This is a game against an SEC school, in the heavily populated Northeast, where a lot of these guys go to school. They're playing better than in recent years, and their coach is the same one that took them to a BCS bowl not that many years ago, so there's a lot of buzz about the program. And yet, they can't even DISTRIBUTE 20K tickets for a game against an SEC school.

Missou does nothing to raise interest in the state of Connecticut. The average football fan in this state may or may not know that Missou is in the SEC. I do because I follow college and pro football pretty closely, and because I was a Chase Daniel fan (he's once again backing up Drew Brees after signing a very lucrative contract in Philadelphia a few years ago) since his High School days at Southlake Carroll (TX).

I'm not sure what they mean by "distributing" tickets, but there's a decent paying season ticket holder fan base for UConn football (though they have HUGE no-show numbers and tickets can be had for free in the parking lot most games.) But the Huskies will, once again, see their Women's basketball team play in front of more fans than their football team.
To add, as compared to other SEC schools Missouri doesn’t travel that well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981