Women's Golf at one time was #9 in the Country

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

And the ladies take the championship!
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveWGolf/stat ... 0620765185
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:And the ladies take the championship!
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveWGolf/stat ... 0620765185
A big congrats to the young ladies...not one senior on the team !!!!...and I checked the schedule...they take some very nice trips !!!!!..Grand Pa's get your granddaughters some golf clubs for Christmas !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

On the big leader board now...TOP TEN in the Country

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/9/ ... kings.aspx
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's the Golfweek list. Tulane comes in at #9

http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=wt
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I guess this is where the trickle down effect of P5 money comes into play. More funds for the athletic dept means more money available for scholarships, so you get better players, even in minor sports. In addition, you can actually fund more sports because of the money. Either way, we're one of only two schools in the Top 25 that isn't a P5 (Kent State @ #7).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Here's the Golfweek list. Tulane comes in at #9

http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=wt
Fantastic!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Don't want to burst anybody's bubble or be Debbie Downer, but this ranking apparently comes by virtue of the tourney win.
I'm not sure if anyone noticed but that tourney had no P5 participants and only 4 G5 schools (USA, WKU, Troy and UAB).
The team also needed (and got) a stellar final round/day to catch Lamar for the win.

The next 3 tourneys over the next 5 weeks will be a much more valid test of where the ladies are in relation to equal competition.
RobertM320
Green Wave

dpm wave wrote:Don't want to burst anybody's bubble or be Debbie Downer, but this ranking apparently comes by virtue of the tourney win.
I'm not sure if anyone noticed but that tourney had no P5 participants and only 4 G5 schools (USA, WKU, Troy and UAB).
The team also needed (and got) a stellar final round/day to catch Lamar for the win.

The next 3 tourneys over the next 5 weeks will be a much more valid test of where the ladies are in relation to equal competition.
Must carry some weight with Golfrank magazine, because otherwise why put them ahead of all those other P5? Why not just let them languish like Lamar and the rest of them?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
dpm wave wrote:Don't want to burst anybody's bubble or be Debbie Downer, but this ranking apparently comes by virtue of the tourney win.

Must carry some weight with Golfrank magazine, because otherwise why put them ahead of all those other P5? Why not just let them languish like Lamar and the rest of them?
It is "GolfWeek" magazine and they do a pretty good job when ranking teams...and as far as PEE teams are concerned GolfWeek has nothing to do with ESPN or any other TV broadcast company, and their rankings over the years have justified the system they use ...
RobertM320
Green Wave

My point was that years ago, you'd see more small schools listed. Think baseball in the 1980s. Rankings used to be filled with the Tulanes, South Alabamas, Cal-Fullerton, and Wichita States of the world. Eventually the money influx to the P5 schools trickles down to the smaller programs, giving them better facilities, thereby attracting better athletes. They then move up in the polls. In addition, the "Power 5" designation has become a mindset, intentionally or not, to where its accepted that the "P5" schools are "better", and they get favoritism in the rankings. Not saying its intentional on the part of the Golfweek Magazine votes, its just a mindset.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:My point was that years ago, you'd see more small schools listed. Think baseball in the 1980s. Rankings used to be filled with the Tulanes, South Alabamas, Cal-Fullerton, and Wichita States of the world. Eventually the money influx to the P5 schools trickles down to the smaller programs, giving them better facilities, thereby attracting better athletes. They then move up in the polls. In addition, the "Power 5" designation has become a mindset, intentionally or not, to where its accepted that the "P5" schools are "better", and they get favoritism in the rankings. Not saying its intentional on the part of the Golfweek Magazine votes, its just a mindset.
and back in the day baseball, men and womens golf, swimming and for many Track and field were a diversion until spring, and regular season of Football...but now, especially since title 9 the PEE's are putting money in these sports...back in the day South Alabama did not have football...basketball and Baseball were their sports...hell there are still many smaller schools making "waves" against the PEE's Coastal Carolina comes to mind in baseball....Tulane would be a player in men's golf, you only need a few players, equipment cost is virtually zero after the initial investment...I do not think Tulane will ever be more that a 7 to 9 win football program at best...if it wants it's name in NCAA sports,Golf, Basketball and Baseball is where their future lies...Football will never be able to get enough players to build the proper depth necessary to compete with the top 20 programs in America, at least not with the current admission standards
RobertM320
Green Wave

Agreed.
Show Me
Tsunami

Golf was always in good hands under the direction of Sue Bower. Good to see that continue.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:Golf was always in good hands under the direction of Sue Bower. Good to see that continue.
Too bad TD was not able to find a spot of Sue...she is a wonderful person and always represented Tulane in the highest regard
nowave
Ripple

golfnut69 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Golf was always in good hands under the direction of Sue Bower. Good to see that continue.
Too bad TD was not able to find a spot of Sue...she is a wonderful person and always represented Tulane in the highest regard
i was very disappointed to see mrs bower leave. she built that program and kept it afloat after katrina. every coach that has come through was handpicked by her and im afraid that if our current coach ever leaves that we may struggle to find a leader of the same caliber. mrs bower carried a lot of clout in the golf world.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nowave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
i was very disappointed to see mrs bower leave. she built that program and kept it afloat after katrina. every coach that has come through was handpicked by her and im afraid that if our current coach ever leaves that we may struggle to find a leader of the same caliber. mrs bower carried a lot of clout in the golf world.
you have spoken the truth !!!
dpm wave
Swell

Hate to say "I told you so" but.............I told you so.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=13729

I would be surprised to see this team in a Regional, let alone Top 3 AAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Ouch!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=13729

I would be surprised to see this team in a Regional, let alone Top 3 AAC.
I am not going to pass judgement on one bad tournament...it happens to many teams...sometimes a "track" fits a team and sometimes it does not...beside "fall" golf is used for learning...next March is a different story
dpm wave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
dpm wave wrote:

I am not going to pass judgement on one bad tournament...it happens to many teams...sometimes a "track" fits a team and sometimes it does not...beside "fall" golf is used for learning...next March is a different story
Well, apparently, this "track" also didn't fit the team. I guess you'll point to the fact they did beat an NAIA team, a non-FBS school and 1 FBS program that they've improved. :roll:

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=14059
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
dpm wave wrote:

Well, apparently, this "track" also didn't fit the team. I guess you'll point to the fact they did beat an NAIA team, a non-FBS school and 1 FBS program that they've improved. :roll:

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=14059
I do have to Laff ' The Ruth's Chris tar Heel Classic".....what a bitch, Ruth Fertel, was the on the board of Merchant's Bank,(metro NOLA) and forced foreclosure on Chris' for the sole purpose of buying the restaurant...that posted, I still say next March is next March...I also noted that several PEE schools did not do that well ... but your score sez who you are for that particular 3 or 4 days...so we are, who we are....I am not jumping off the Pennybacker Bridge anytime soon over it
dpm wave
Swell

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:https://www.birdiefire.com/tournament/42648/

Another bad course, right?
A bad course, I do not think so, it is beautiful there....looks to me, several teams did not enjoy the view very much, including The Ohio State University team... I played the course at Texas A&M on Friday, the course was OK, one of the easiest courses I have played in many years, but I did not play very well... on the Monday before, I played one of the more difficult tracks in metro Austin and scored very well...but that's Golf, it is a great deal like having Sex, U don't have to be very good, to enjoy it very much !!
dpm wave
Swell

I'll rephrase counselor.

Another "track" that "doesn't fit this team."

Bottom line. Since people were singing praises about a Top 10 ranking and I warned that the team was not deserving of such a ranking, they have finished last or next to last in 3 straight tourneys. If Fall ball is for learning, then it doesn't seem they've learned too much as of yet. Hopefully, the can learn better in the winter.