For Discussion-What would you do....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:It reflects the values of the university. If it doesn't, tell my why we know up front you wont see it happening at Army, Navy, probably ND and BYU as well.
It most certainly does not, it reflects the values of the individuals. The military schools and maybe very conservative schools (like maybe A&M) may not but literally every other college in the country would be exposed to this kneeling stuff. Say you don;t agree, but don;t extrapolate it to the entire university. Hell, you have any idea how many silly protests are going on everyday at universities all over the country? Do those protests reflect the values of the entire university, of course not. Oh and this....even the academies are not immune to today's constant need to voice your opinions publicly.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/27/we ... sages.html
That article is a whole different issue. He's actually already been a soldier, before he got accepted to West Point. And you can best believe he won't be serving any more.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:It reflects the values of the university. If it doesn't, tell my why we know up front you wont see it happening at Army, Navy, probably ND and BYU as well.
It most certainly does not, it reflects the values of the individuals. The military schools and maybe very conservative schools (like maybe A&M) may not but literally every other college in the country would be exposed to this kneeling stuff. Say you don;t agree, but don;t extrapolate it to the entire university. Hell, you have any idea how many silly protests are going on everyday at universities all over the country? Do those protests reflect the values of the entire university, of course not. Oh and this....even the academies are not immune to today's constant need to voice your opinions publicly.

That article is a whole different issue. He's actually already been a soldier, before he got accepted to West Point. And you can best believe he won't be serving any more.
Point being that even cadets are protesting in ways that would be unimaginable in the past.

I just think people are just way too sensitive and always out to prove some sort of point, on both sides I may add. But hell, you don;t want to watch games cause a 19 year old kid kneels for the anthem, go ahead, I just think it's no more naive than the kneeling act itself.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Point being that even cadets are protesting in ways that would be unimaginable in the past.

I just think people are just way too sensitive and always out to prove some sort of point, on both sides I may add. But hell, you don;t want to watch games cause a 19 year old kid kneels for the anthem, go ahead, I just think it's no more naive than the kneeling act itself.
I think you'll find that what this kid did wasn't a protest. Its his core beliefs. And as such, there's no place for him in the US Military. Even his father came out with a statement of how disappointed he is. Cadet spent some time in Afghanistan. His beliefs were obviously affected by it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Pepper
Swell

The only acceptable kneel is the victory formation at the end of the game!.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:The only acceptable kneel is the victory formation at the end of the game!.
Good one Pepper.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would applaud their right to free speech.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

No ones denying them the right to free speech. There's no guarantee in the Constitution that there won't be consequences for that speech. School can choose to suspend them for improper conduct. That's a pretty catch all category.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:No ones denying them the right to free speech. There's no guarantee in the Constitution that there won't be consequences for that speech. School can choose to suspend them for improper conduct. That's a pretty catch all category.
Suspending them for improper conduct? Assuming that Tulane would even want to suspend them for doing so (which it would not), it's not going to willfully attract the press and ill will it would receive for doing so.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:No ones denying them the right to free speech. There's no guarantee in the Constitution that there won't be consequences for that speech. School can choose to suspend them for improper conduct. That's a pretty catch all category.
Suspending them for improper conduct? Assuming that Tulane would even want to suspend them for doing so (which it would not), it's not going to willfully attract the press and ill will it would receive for doing so.
Agreed. Plus, let's not forget the idea that this is a university that encourages critical/free thinking from it's students and forcing them to stand for the anthem goes directly against free/critical thinking. It's their choice just like it's everyone's own choice to do whatever they feel is appropriate.
Show Me
Tsunami

Each coach is different. If a kid kneeled on Jewett he’d be benched.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I didn't say Tulane in particular. I just said there are options the schools have. Unfortunately, today's society seems to equate "free speech" with "I can do what I want whenever I want to". That's NOT what free speech means.
Wavetime
Swell

I would respect their actions, however, I would disagree with it. It if continued I'd give up my season tickets.
sader24
Tsunami

It's a free country, stand if you want, kneel if you want, sit if you want.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Americans do have all those rights of expression. However it's on their own time that they can do so. When you go to work you don't get to protest. No employer would allow workers coming in and wearing shirts with messages of protest and the like. It's just that simple.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

But student athletes are not workers, and they're not wearing a shirt protesting anything either. That's the whole point. If they were workers that were paid for their services - as in, paid what the market would allow not the silly tuition and COA stuff - then it wouldn't be an issue for universities to make rules around it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was mostly referring to the NFL but they get scholarships and they do get stipends and many other benefits. They are on the teams time then and not their own. If they want to protest they can buy a ticket and go the game and sit when the anthem is played.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:I was mostly referring to the NFL but they get scholarships and they do get stipends and many other benefits. They are on the teams time then and not their own. If they want to protest they can buy a ticket and go the game and sit when the anthem is played.
If they were employees, I would agree.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:I was mostly referring to the NFL but they get scholarships and they do get stipends and many other benefits. They are on the teams time then and not their own. If they want to protest they can buy a ticket and go the game and sit when the anthem is played.
If they were employees, I would agree.
I'm with Azer on this one even though I'm hesitant to pay student athletes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

same thing. They are on Tulane's time and representing Tulane.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Well you're obviously wrong. Their employers are allowing them to protest. The owners don't have a problem with it. So why should you?
Wavetime
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:But student athletes are not workers, and they're not wearing a shirt protesting anything either. That's the whole point. If they were workers that were paid for their services - as in, paid what the market would allow not the silly tuition and COA stuff - then it wouldn't be an issue for universities to make rules around it.

Yes, they are not being paid. However, they are representing Tulane!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:same thing. They are on Tulane's time and representing Tulane.
If scholarships and actual financial payment were the same thing, (1) NCAAF amateurism would not exist and (2) scholarships would have transferable value.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I have to agree with winwave. Payment or not, when you put on a Tulane uniform in any sport, you are representing Tulane University, and you're not to do anything that might reflect negatively on the school. That's the beginning and end of it.
OUG
Riptide

Gotta love the bye week
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:same thing. They are on Tulane's time and representing Tulane.
If scholarships and actual financial payment were the same thing, (1) NCAAF amateurism would not exist and (2) scholarships would have transferable value.
They do receive stipends and if you don't consider a full scholarship a thing of value I don't what to say to you.