Winning Does

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

msdos wrote:
nawlinspete wrote: We are playing well; correction extremely well.
Not sure what team you were watching, but it sure as sh*t wasn't Tulane
Some of this. We have yet to see Tulane accomplish anything that would be worthy of saying that everything has changed. If Tulane loses to either Army or Tulsa, it will place Tulane's goal of bowl eligibility in jeopardy. Glancing at the performances of other teams on the schedule so far, @ECU and @FIU should be wins unless either this Tulane team has the away game issues that CJ's 2013 team had or those programs improve significantly before they play Tulane, but, beyond that and the insta-loss @Oklahoma, it's difficult to be too optimistic or pessimistic until the Army and Tulsa games are played since Tulane fans will have a better idea of which and how many other teams Tulane would need to defeat to reach 6 wins.

nawlinspete
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
msdos wrote:
nawlinspete wrote: We are playing well; correction extremely well.
Not sure what team you were watching, but it sure as sh*t wasn't Tulane
Some of this. We have yet to see Tulane accomplish anything that would be worthy of saying that everything has changed. If Tulane loses to either Army or Tulsa, it will place Tulane's goal of bowl eligibility in jeopardy. Glancing at the performances of other teams on the schedule so far, @ECU and @FIU should be wins unless either this Tulane team has the away game issues that CJ's 2013 team had or those programs improve significantly before they play Tulane, but, beyond that and the insta-loss @Oklahoma, it's difficult to be too optimistic or pessimistic until the Army and Tulsa games are played since Tulane fans will have a better idea of which and how many other teams Tulane would need to defeat to reach 6 wins.
All the more reason to get your butts into the seats at Yulman....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Yes and no. "Yes" in the sense that those games would be worth watching since there is so much uncertainty surrounding the strength of the program this year, but also "No" in the sense Tulane that fans that follow the program closely may have expected fewer issues versus Navy (i.e. passing, third down efficiency, coaching decision making, special teams, capitalizing on turnovers, etc.) regardless as to whether Tulane had won or lost.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yes and no. "Yes" in the sense that those games would be worth watching since there is so much uncertainty surrounding the strength of the program this year, but also "No" in the sense Tulane that fans that follow the program closely may have expected fewer issues versus Navy (i.e. passing, third down efficiency, coaching decision making, special teams, capitalizing on turnovers, etc.) regardless as to whether Tulane had won or lost.
Wrong. 'fans' who do not support the athletes and the university are not fans.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yes and no. "Yes" in the sense that those games would be worth watching since there is so much uncertainty surrounding the strength of the program this year, but also "No" in the sense Tulane that fans that follow the program closely may have expected fewer issues versus Navy (i.e. passing, third down efficiency, coaching decision making, special teams, capitalizing on turnovers, etc.) regardless as to whether Tulane had won or lost.
Wrong. 'fans' who do not support the athletes and the university are not fans.
A difference of opinion I suppose. To phrase it differently, Tulane hasn't defeated an FBS team that ended the season with a winning record since Nov. 8, 2014 (@Houston), and, while it showed glimpses of the ability to accomplish that feat versus Navy, the same old issues continued to take place that prevented it from being able to due so (special teams, third down efficiency, inability to capitalize on turnovers, difficulty scoring, etc.). Tulane has now played 3 increasingly close games in a row against Navy, but each game has still ended the same way, and, in the other two seasons, Tulane did not come close to bowl eligibility.

Add to all of that that Tulane wants the firstborn children of Tulane fans as a donation in order for those fans to get good season tickets to games and attendance will not look good. Sure, some Tulane fans who chose not to renew season tickets because of donations may still buy good seats individually, but, when they do that, it's far less likely that they will attend each home game since there is no sunk cost.
nawlinspete
Riptide

And because winning matters Coach Fritz and his staff called a great game, allowing their men to go out and bring home the bacon.

Perhaps our most significant single game victory since the 1950's. I cannot think of any coach other than perhaps Vince Gibson or Jim Pittman who have had the blessings of years of big time college coaching moxie to allow an injured and hurting QB go for it on 4th and six deep in their own territory or go for the win on 4th and 1 at the 4.

Fritz and his staff read their players well and fully, apparently, know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Tulane would be wise to extend the entire staff, with healthy raises, before we kick it off against Tulsa. This will not be another CJ mistake but a wise "stock option" investment likely to pay huge dividends for Tulane and for each and every member of the coaching staff down the road.

And all together we will be sending the message that TULANE CARES after years of neglect and mismanagement of Tulane Athletics.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Not sure if anyone listened to the recently released audio tape of Fritz talking to his Ga Southern team when he told them he was taking the Tulane job. One of the things most important to him was job security. GaSo wouldn't give it to him, it was year by year. Tulane offered him a six year contract. So at this point, I'm not sure he'd be looking to take a chance somewhere at a mid-level P5 where he might coach 3 yrs and be fired. Heck, if he's here for six years and takes us to winning seasons and bowl games in 3 of them, he'd be the most successful coach of the last 70 years here, unless you count Bowden, who didn't really build anything.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

We have him signed up for 5 more years. I know that doesn't mean much if a big team comes calling but let's see him take us to a bowl victory before we start shelling out extra cash.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:We have him signed up for 5 more years. I know that doesn't mean much if a big team comes calling but let's see him take us to a bowl victory before we start shelling out extra cash.
I didn't say anything about shelling out more cash. I'm just saying it wouldn't take much for him to be one of the best coaches we ever had.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Let's be proactive and throw more cash....

Let's show the staff they are fully appreciated....

And lets show the world that now TULANE CARES and that we will do what is necessary to control our own future. A five year extension will preclude others from forcing us to react instead of control our destiny while providing the coaches withall the comforts of a comfortable permanent Tulane home....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:Let's be proactive and throw more cash....

And lets show the world that now TULANE CARES and that we will do what is necessary to control our own future. A five year extension will preclude others from forcing us to react instead of control our destiny while providing the coaches withall the comforts of a comfortable permanent Tulane home....
Let the season play out at the very minimum. I think Coach Fritz is a very good coach, but we're 2-2, same place we've been quite often recently. We don't have to do anything right now, and should have learned from premature extensions Rick Dickson gave out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:

Let the season play out at the very minimum. I think Coach Fritz is a very good coach, but we're 2-2, same place we've been quite often recently. We don't have to do anything right now, and should have learned from premature extensions Rick Dickson gave out.
+1
Makes zero “cents” to throw more cash at this point. If an SEC team wants WF what little cash we throw will be peanuts. He signed a 6 year deal so he has what he wanted. Tulane will be favored in at least 4 remaining games. So we should at the very least go 6-6. Dickson gave CJ a raise and extension too soon and it was a mistake.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

+1
Makes zero “cents” to throw more cash at this point. If an SEC team wants WF what little cash we throw will be peanuts. He signed a 6 year deal so he has what he wanted. Tulane will be favored in at least 4 remaining games. So we should at the very least go 6-6. Dickson gave CJ a raise and extension too soon and it was a mistake.
This. Honestly, it may not make sense to extend WF until one of the following occurs: (1) he has more than 1 bowl eligible season, (2) he has a winning record versus OOC opponents next season (i.e. beats Wake Forest next season), or (3) does not beat Wake next season but wins 7+ regular seasons games.

Plus, as Show Me indicated, if Fritz leaves, it will virtually certainly be for a P5 that has more resources than Tulane does, so extending him primarily as an effort to prevent him from leaving would be futile.
MicMan
Swell

Maybe the best thing is for people here to stop chasing the mice running around inside their heads. ;)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:Maybe the best thing is for people here to stop chasing the mice running around inside their heads. ;)
or the gerbils up other parts of their bodies !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

Extend him after he gets to a bowl game. No reason to be giving extensions for anything less.
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Extend him after he gets to a bowl game. No reason to be giving extensions for anything less.
I'm not sure 6-6 and a bowl trip this season is enough for an extension. He's decently paid for an AAC coach, and unless he's got another offer coming, I'd prefer to see a second winning season. Dannen wants a foundation built. You dont pay just for driving the pilings. You pay after the slab is poured and you've started framing the structure.
sader24
Tsunami

I think getting the dumpster fire he walked into a bowl game in two years would be worthy of an extension of some sort, but I have no problem with higher expectations.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The only way I'd extend him is if he has a winning season (which mean better than 6-6, and not 7-6 with a minor bowl victory) AND the extension included a clause that he pay back money if he leaves before the end of the contract.

But again, we're 2-2 and have yet to accomplish anything worthy of an extension. Play the season, worry about this afterwards.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:The only way I'd extend him is if he has a winning season (which mean better than 6-6, and not 7-6 with a minor bowl victory) AND the extension included a clause that he pay back money if he leaves before the end of the contract.

But again, we're 2-2 and have yet to accomplish anything worthy of an extension. Play the season, worry about this afterwards.
I agree, but it will be interesting to see what happens between WF and TD. On one hand, if he wins 6-7 total games this season, he will probably want an extension and point the on the field progress and the the fact that he only has 4 years remaining on his contract as reasons why he should get one. On the other hand, Fritz is unlikely to leave for another G5 since the highest profile G5s do not appear to be preparing to enter the coaching market in the offseason (i.e. Boise/Houston/Cincinnati/etc.), and, even if Tulane extended him, he would not accomplished enough to justify a notable raise, such as a $1M/year increase to $2.6M overall, so the extension would not be enough to keep away P5s anyway.
OUG
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:The only way I'd extend him is if he has a winning season (which mean better than 6-6, and not 7-6 with a minor bowl victory) AND the extension included a clause that he pay back money if he leaves before the end of the contract.

I agree, but it will be interesting to see what happens between WF and TD. On one hand, if he wins 6-7 total games this season, he will probably want an extension and point the on the field progress and the the fact that he only has 4 years remaining on his contract as reasons why he should get one. On the other hand, Fritz is unlikely to leave for another G5 since the highest profile G5s do not appear to be preparing to enter the coaching market in the offseason (i.e. Boise/Houston/Cincinnati/etc.), and, even if Tulane extended him, he would not accomplished enough to justify a notable raise, such as a $1M/year increase to $2.6M overall, so the extension would not be enough to keep away P5s anyway.
The raise/extension wouldn't be to stop him from leaving for a P5 program, it would be to increase the buyout for when he does.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

True, but it would also increase the buyout if he is fired. Given that, would it make sense to extend a coach just for winning 6 games one time (assuming that occurs this season)? What if the P5s never come and that one season was a flash in the pan?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:True, but it would also increase the buyout if he is fired. Given that, would it make sense to extend a coach just for winning 6 games one time (assuming that occurs this season)? What if the P5s never come and that one season was a flash in the pan?
See CCJ post 2013.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Throwing 10-15 passes a game is going to scare away most programs at this point. Unfortunately may also scare away some recruits.