Tulane 21 - Army 17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Great win! Feels real good to have this win! Attendance decent?

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Tulane beat the military at their own game. Take the ball . Drive down the field. Run out the clock. Score with little time for them to come back -- especially when they can't throw the football.

Banks was a bit tentative not being 100%, but he ran the offense better than any of the other QB's would have. The other QB's will get better, but Banks is our man! Two 4th down conversions in that last drive--no panic--Banks is the man!
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Just got back from the game. First and foremost, the heat was BRUTAL. NCAA has all kinds of rules to protect players, well one of them should be no daytime games at Yulman in September. I don't give a crap what the networks say.

I think OUG pretty much summed it up. Banks was still hurting coming in, and he got really clocked on that 4th down play early in the last drive. I was actually surprised to see him back in the game after only one play. Tells you how much the guy wants to win, and you know that will make the rest of the offense want to play that much harder. He took a few extra shots on that drive and hung in there. On some of his scrambles no receiver was getting open, but you can see how he's able to extend plays. The bye comes at the right time for us. Lets get healthy and prepare for Tulsa, who just lost at home to New Mexico, 16-13. What happened to their explosive offense?
It should be a sin to host a Day game at Yulman in August/September. It was unbearably hot.

Dude, you're not kidding. It was brutal. I had to spend the 4th quarter underneath the Westfeldt Terrace cover. Couldn't stay in the seat. Don't know how chain gang x man works the sidelines in that heat.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:Great win! Feels real good to have this win! Attendance decent?
Attendance wasn't good, but I think the combination of a Sat 11am kickoff, a boring opponent and the brutal heat scared off some. Student section only had about 3 rows worth of students when the game started.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Fritz would have been second guessed for not kicking the FG if we missed on the 4th and 1 at the six, but it was the right decision.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Interesting postgame quote by Fritz regarding Banks:

"Thought a sensational job by Jonathan Banks on the last series. He made a lot of plays on his own, with his legs and his arm," said Tulane Head Coach Willie Fritz. "He gives you a dynamic at quarterback that gives you chance. We're going to take this off week to figure out how to use the guy. He's a unique player. Sometimes he doesn't draw between the lines, and that's okay."
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Fritz would have been second guessed for not kicking the FG if we missed on the 4th and 1 at the six, but it was the right decision.
I agree. I liked it too -- if you're going to tell your offense you're not sure if they can pick up that half yard, well, you're not going to get those tough yards in OT either. And our defense was tired. You play to win the game there. He put our season on the line in some respects with that call but I'm glad he did.
oliveandblue
Surge

It's been a rocky start, but there are some prior coaches that would be 1-3 with a narrow win vs. Grambling and 3 blowout losses....

Tulsa is suspect and FIU is putrid. A 4-2 record at the midway point is very possible.
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Fritz would have been second guessed for not kicking the FG if we missed on the 4th and 1 at the six, but it was the right decision.
Looking at the way Army moved the ball the entire game and how tired the Tulane defense was and the apparent edge Army has in place kicking, I think Fritz didn't like the odds of overtime; even though the conventional strategy favors the home team.

Remember with four and a half minutes left and facing fourth and ten from its own 25, Tulane went for it and made it on Banks run concluded with the crushing tackle. Normal strategy at that point is to punt especially when you hold all your timeouts. Again Fritz I think reasonably thought Tulane would not stop Army if it could literally run the clock out.

He made the right decisions to win. Interesting that he is a very conservative coach who knows when to depart from the conventional wisdom. You have to know when to draw to the inside straight.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree, lurker, he made the right decisions even though they weren't what the odds say you should do.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Just got back from the game. First and foremost, the heat was BRUTAL. NCAA has all kinds of rules to protect players, well one of them should be no daytime games at Yulman in September. I don't give a crap what the networks say.

I think OUG pretty much summed it up. Banks was still hurting coming in, and he got really clocked on that 4th down play early in the last drive. I was actually surprised to see him back in the game after only one play. Tells you how much the guy wants to win, and you know that will make the rest of the offense want to play that much harder. He took a few extra shots on that drive and hung in there. On some of his scrambles no receiver was getting open, but you can see how he's able to extend plays. The bye comes at the right time for us. Lets get healthy and prepare for Tulsa, who just lost at home to New Mexico, 16-13. What happened to their explosive offense?
It should be a sin to host a Day game at Yulman in August/September. It was unbearably hot.
I do not think the news has reached Providence, Rhode Island, that Tulane no longer plays in the Dome
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
torbida
Surge

Banks showed what a winning Qb is all about taking shots,getting back up and willing this team to victory.The decision to go for the W instead of the tying fg took guts but in order to win you gotta take chances.I was going to the FIU game regardless but going now will be more exciting knowing this team showed me heart and guts.roll wave!
TURVS71
Swell

Hot day, good win for this program. This game was won on the back and legs of Banks. This is what a good quarterback can do for a team. Gutsy fourth-quarter and not playing for the tie shows that this may be a different team. I truly believe that most of these kids grew up in the first half of the Oklahoma game last week.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
lurker123
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:Hot day, good win for this program. This game was won on the back and legs of Banks. This is what a good quarterback can do for a team. Gutsy fourth-quarter and not playing for the tie shows that this may be a different team. I truly believe that most of these kids grew up in the first half of the Oklahoma game last week.
I will slightly modify your observation and I think I can say safely you will agree. "This game was won on the back and legs and, most importantly, the HEART of Banks."
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I had us winning by 4. Glad it held up. A couple of things. We are now out coaching our opponents. WF has a great feel for the game. That’s something that you either have or you don’t. He could see that to win we had to go the distance and get a TD, a FG attempt wasn’t going to do it. We couldn’t stop their offense to save our life. They’d likely beat us in OT if we even make a FG.
Kudos for him playing Banks. We don’t win today without Banks in there. Bowl game hopes continue with today’s expected win. We lose here and 1-3 isn’t going to cut it. Looking ahead I had us 2-2 at this point. Tulsa now looks winnable. Let’s hope we get healthy with the week off.
Roll Wave!

The heat was brutal but at least you can get under a Big Ass Fan if you’re on the home side!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Final: New Mexico 16, Tulsa 13.
Tulsa is now 1-3 with their only win 66-42 over ULALA.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:That was not pretty but it never is against Army, especially when they're good. They are a very tough team to play when they get ahead on time of possession and wear you down. It's a war of attrition at that point. They're gonna get their 8 minute drives, you just need to limit the damage. Still, we closed the game with a lot of guts and toughness and showed what we can do when we open the offense up and let Banks be Banks.

I get why we ran a lot of inside zone in the first half -- 1) it was working; and 2) we were being conservative with Banks in terms of not putting him in position to get clocked out wide on the option. The problem today was that by the third quarter it was way too vanilla, and when we were only getting 2-3 yards on it on first down, we got behind the sticks. Then the offense got out of rhythem. Donnie Lewis made an incredible play in the end zone and the Banks did what he had to do with the game on the line time and time again.

This Army team, were it in AAC East, would definitely win 8-9 this year. They would be havoc for a lot of teams in our conference and may be approaching how tough Navy is (not there yet because they can't pass). They aren't world beaters but not your father's Army team either.

So, we have a very well-timed bye week to get healthy and then two winnable games. If we beat Tulsa and FIU we are 4-2 at the midway point. If we split, bowl hopes are still alive. Let's go out and beat Tulsa.
Agree with a lot of what you say there but Army would not win 8-9 games if they were in the AAC East. They would be a 4-5 win team and that would have a lot to do with the weak OOC they always play.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There was no doubt he was going for it there. There is no faith in any of our kickers. Plus while the distance was short it was a very bad angle for a right footed kicker. Thank goodness it all worked out. Now let's go take advantage of these extremely winnable games we have coming up.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Interesting stat. First time since 1961 against Vandy has Tulane not allowed a completed pass in a game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Let's see if this is the game that gets program turned around. I love the message Fritz sent today...we aren't playing for the tie, we are playing for the win.

Clearly Banks isn't 100% healthy, he took some shots today, buy showed tremendous heart and toughness.

Props to #21, who I always slam, on the int. It might have been the game saver. Bad call by Army to throw in that situation, they should have kept pounding.

The 11am start time is terrible for Tulane, regardless of the weather, way too early on a Saturday.

As a team, we are probably pretty banged up after three straight tough games. The bye week comes at the perfect time.

The offense has a lot of work to do to get better.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski
Swell

Wave755 wrote:Final: New Mexico 16, Tulsa 13.
Tulsa is now 1-3 with their only win 66-42 over ULALA.
And New Mexico runs an option offense also. I just watched the highlights, New Mexico looks a bit like us. And Tulsa plays Navy next week. I think Navy rolls. Tulsa comes in 1-4, battered and beleaguered. Didn't think I'd be saying this but WE SHOULD BE 4-2. With Cincy and ECU left. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RobertM320
Green Wave

Well, Cincy thinks they're just going to steamroll us. They're fans were trolling my twitter today during and after our game, saying we barely beat Army. Of course they don't want to talk about the 569 rushing yards and 42 points they gave up to Navy. And Navy took a knee inside the Cincy 10 at the end of the game.

But lets take them one at a time. Focus on Tulsa and getting healthy. Navy is always a physical game, so you're right, Tulsa should be a bit sore when they come to Yulman.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Well, Cincy thinks they're just going to steamroll us. They're fans were trolling my twitter today during and after our game, saying we barely beat Army. Of course they don't want to talk about the 569 rushing yards and 42 points they gave up to Navy. And Navy took a knee inside the Cincy 10 at the end of the game.

But lets take them one at a time. Focus on Tulsa and getting healthy. Navy is always a physical game, so you're right, Tulsa should be a bit sore when they come to Yulman.
I agree one at a time. Funny about Cincy fans.....how quickly they forget about Austin Peay
RobertM320
Green Wave

Their excuse is, they were hiding their plays from Michigan. lol.