Oklahoma Game Thread 11am KO

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Houston went up to OU and beat them last year and they remained in the hunt for a possible playoff game until a late falloff.
Playing Oklahoma was great. Playing Ohio St will be great. The first Qtr “showed” you what we are capable of doing. If we beat Ohio St next year perhaps you’d feel differently.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote:Houston went up to OU and beat them last year and they remained in the hunt for a possible playoff game until a late falloff.
Playing Oklahoma was great. Playing Ohio St will be great. The first Qtr “showed” you what we are capable of doing. If we beat Ohio St next year perhaps you’d feel differently.
Houston, as a football program, is in another league than Tulane. If this wasn't clear by the string of super successful coaches, the high coaching salaries, game attendance and the facilities, it was clear when Houston fired a coach that won 7 regular season games because that coach had not won enough. Houston expanded on that during the hiring process of Applewhite when it indicated that 8 wins should be the floor the program. In sharp contrast, Fritz could could win exactly 6 games every season (6-7 records) for 4+ seasons before his seat would even get close to warm, as Tulane has not had a string of successful coaches, does not pay super high salaries, has low attendance, and does not have great facilities.

The takeaway here is that the fact that two programs are both part of the G5 does not mean that they have the same minimum standards and measurements of success (i.e. Houston, Boise State, Navy, Tulsa, Cincinnati, etc.).
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Houston went up to OU and beat them last year and they remained in the hunt for a possible playoff game until a late falloff.
Houston, as a football program, is in another league than Tulane. If this wasn't clear by the string of super successful coaches, the high coaching salaries, game attendance and the facilities, it was clear when Houston fired a coach that won 7 regular season games because that coach had not won enough. Houston expanded on that during the hiring process of Applewhite when it indicated that 8 wins should be the floor the program. In sharp contrast, Fritz could could win exactly 6 games every season (6-7 records) for 4+ seasons before his seat would even get close to warm, as Tulane has not had a string of successful coaches, does not pay super high salaries, has low attendance, and does not have great facilities.

The takeaway here is that the fact that two programs are both part of the G5 does not mean that they have the same minimum standards and measurements of success (i.e. Houston, Boise State, Navy, Tulsa, Cincinnati, etc.).
Complete BS. We beat Houston in 2014 on the road. We’ll probably beat them again this year.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Complete BS. We beat Houston in 2014 on the road. We’ll probably beat them again this year.
We can agree to disagree, but calling that "BS" is tall order without anything to refute it, and confidently saying that Tulane is going to beat Houston is being extremely optimistic at this point.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Every category is going to have its high and low end, P5, G5, FCS, etc. See below.

"The takeaway here is that the fact that two programs are both part of the P5 does not mean that they have the same minimum standards and measurements of success (Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, as compared to Indiana, Rutgers, Illinois)"
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

And not for nothing but we have a better coach than Major Applewhite, who will re-join the ranks of assistants in 3 years or less. It's not a given that Houston, Navy, Tulsa or Cincy beats us by any stretch of the imagination. Will we be underdogs? Hell yes. But we'll have a decent chance, certainly better than we did against OU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Ruski wrote:Impossible to build a program when you're getting your teeth kicked in. Ole Miss and Georgia Tech are much better games than Oklahoma and Ohio State. No way the money we get is worth it. Tulane football badly needs some confidence. These games destroy confidence. Playing with Ole Miss to the wire would've added confidence. OU game is best forgotten. Stupid.
Rick Dickson scheduling at its finest. And he alienated a whole lot of HC's and AD's in the SEC in the process.
The Georgia Tech game was Dannen. Honestly GT is one of about 10 teams I wish we played every year. And they might cancel 2019 game too.

I wish we only scheduled the lesser ACC/Big12/SEC schools. Forget the Big10, even though there are lots of easy "P5" wins there. And Pac12 doesn't appeal to me at all.

If we could get a GT/Wake/Duke/NC/NCST AND a SEC East team every year I'd be thrilled!
OUG
Riptide

That Houston game was not at OU, it was in Houston; it was also the first week of the season; and Oklahoma is a lot better this year than last year, particularly on the defensive side of the ball but also on offense.

We don't have the personnel to compete for a full 60 minutes against these teams. That's not a reason not to play them though, but we should know what we're getting in to. That Houston team had the physicality to play with Oklahoma in the trenches AND also had a "special" type of playmaker in Ward. Still, this year's Oklahoma team beats that Houston team by two TDs at least in Norman.
OUG
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote:
OUG wrote: These are scheduled in advance. We are getting OU at home down the road in exchange for getting our teeth kicked in this year. You have to view it in that context. Maybe in 2021 we will also suck, but maybe we won't. You want to give your program those targets.
I don't know why you'd do a three-game set with OU, even in advance. They are a factory program that will always be in the top 15 or so. They don't really have truly "down" years.

We lose 90 out of 100 games vs. OU by 21+ points. It's braindead scheduling.

The Ohio State game in 2018 is another mistake - Tulane should have used that road game to build another 2 for 1 with a P5.
I am not a huge fan of the Ohio State game, because it is a short term cash grab. But the 3-game OU series includes a home game which makes it financially compelling for us, even though we lose badly. We will sell that game out. It will drive season ticket sales for other games. It will be a big day on campus. It's great for recruiting to tell kids that they'll be able to play Oklahoma at home. And at the end of the day, it gives you a measuring stick as to how your team is growing in terms of its ability to compete.

Most teams in the AAC are making deals like that. There's nothing wrong with them. If you want to be a big football program someday you have to play big football programs.

We aren't talking about scheduling only blue blood programs, but one a year is not a problem as long as it is part of a comprehensive scheduling strategy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Ruski wrote:Impossible to build a program when you're getting your teeth kicked in. Ole Miss and Georgia Tech are much better games than Oklahoma and Ohio State. No way the money we get is worth it. Tulane football badly needs some confidence. These games destroy confidence. Playing with Ole Miss to the wire would've added confidence. OU game is best forgotten. Stupid.
Rick Dickson scheduling at its finest. And he alienated a whole lot of HC's and AD's in the SEC in the process.
The Georgia Tech game was Dannen. Honestly GT is one of about 10 teams I wish we played every year. And they might cancel 2019 game too.

I wish we only scheduled the lesser ACC/Big12/SEC schools. Forget the Big10, even though there are lots of easy "P5" wins there. And Pac12 doesn't appeal to me at all.

If we could get a GT/Wake/Duke/NC/NCST AND a SEC East team every year I'd be thrilled!
I get that that my do it for you but for most of or fans that actually attend games it wouldn't move the needle . Get SEC west teams here. To do that the games will have to be played in the Dome which is fine. If we do play those teams and the games are played in the 22,000 seat stadium Tulane has then that wil meamn we have continued to lose and those teams will get 20,000 in there and we'll only have 2,000.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:
OUG wrote: These are scheduled in advance. We are getting OU at home down the road in exchange for getting our teeth kicked in this year. You have to view it in that context. Maybe in 2021 we will also suck, but maybe we won't. You want to give your program those targets.
I don't know why you'd do a three-game set with OU, even in advance. They are a factory program that will always be in the top 15 or so. They don't really have truly "down" years.

We lose 90 out of 100 games vs. OU by 21+ points. It's braindead scheduling.

The Ohio State game in 2018 is another mistake - Tulane should have used that road game to build another 2 for 1 with a P5.
I am not a huge fan of the Ohio State game, because it is a short term cash grab. But the 3-game OU series includes a home game which makes it financially compelling for us, even though we lose badly. We will sell that game out. It will drive season ticket sales for other games. It will be a big day on campus. It's great for recruiting to tell kids that they'll be able to play Oklahoma at home. And at the end of the day, it gives you a measuring stick as to how your team is growing in terms of its ability to compete.

Most teams in the AAC are making deals like that. There's nothing wrong with them. If you want to be a big football program someday you have to play big football programs.

We aren't talking about scheduling only blue blood programs, but one a year is not a problem as long as it is part of a comprehensive scheduling strategy.
OUG as I posted above if that OU game is played in Yulman it means we continue to lose and they get 20,000 in there. If we're improved and their told they only get 2,000 they'll pay the buyout. Their AD isn't going to tell the 20-25,000 fans who want to come to NOLA that they can't get tickets. The goal should be to improve the program to where we are good enough that we play to a full house or close to it in the Dome against such a marquee opponent
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We're not playing in the Dome, and certainly not selling out the Dome. The Sugar Bowl has had a tough time selling out the Dome the last few years. Times have changed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bad Tulane football certainly won't. What I'm talking about is if that finally changes. For a GOOD Tulane football team playing a top 5 opponent you would get 40,000 Tulane fans out and then an Oklahoma is going to bring at least 25,000. The main point though is that those type of teams aren't coming here if we try and force them into Yulman and they only get 2,000 tickets. They'll pay the buyout. So the message to the administration is that we are fine with playing big time football in the Dome.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Oklahoma @ Tulane game announced for 11am kickoff on ABC
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:08 pm Oklahoma @ Tulane game announced for 11am kickoff on ABC
Get an early order in for the triage units--it will be a scorcher. OU fans may never want to come back to N.O. The AAC needs to do whatever it can to move our September home games to night.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:12 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:08 pm Oklahoma @ Tulane game announced for 11am kickoff on ABC
Get an early order in for the triage units--it will be a scorcher. OU fans may never want to come back to N.O. The AAC needs to do whatever it can to move our September home games to night.
Could be absolutely brutal out there.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:13 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:12 pm
Could be absolutely brutal out there.
There may be more excitement watching the medical teams working away on the concourse than watching what is happening on the field. Over/under on the body count?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's really a shame. It will be just like the GT game with dozens taken out on stretchers.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Also a bummer to lose out on a full day/evening of tailgating on a packed campus (if it was a night game).

Someday we will have a packed stadium for a weekend night game. Just not sure when that will be. Maybe when Ole miss or miss state come to New Orleans
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

11am...2 tickets, 25 yard line for sale
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:29 pm That's really a shame. It will be just like the GT game with dozens taken out on stretchers.
That was the hottest experience of my life. Despite numerous self inflicted ..ice bucket challenges, I was hotter than hades all day. I'm sorry, but we should "just say no" to this start time. ABC can get a game in the North during the day and put us on at 8 CST. I know I'm pissing into the wind here, but that's a seriously bad time to play a game in the heat.
Show Me
Tsunami

We need to be more competitive to get prime time. Win this one at 11am and the next one could be in prime time. I bet if it was a good Houston or UCF it would be prime time.
anEngineer
Riptide

11 am isn't that bad for heat, a lot better than 2 or 3. Labor day weekend is hot every day, every year. 11am isn't much different than 7pm, in fact, I will bet that it is hotter at 7pm than 11am.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Maybe Dannen will be motivated to get it moved to the Superdome, and sell many more tickets. Even some of the hardcore Tulane fans, ala golf, will pass on this bakefest.