Oklahoma Game Thread 11am KO

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If we're going to follow the 24 hour rule, its time we look forward instead of looking back.

I've got a question. We're roughly a 35 point underdog. Its pretty likely we'll lose. So, what score would people consider as acceptable, meaning you feel like we represented ourselves well? Losing by 28? 24? 34-10? 42-20? Or staying close for a half, maybe 20-10, but then fading in the fourth? At what point will you feel comfortable the sky's not falling in just because we'll be 1-2?

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane's primary goals for this game should be to minimize injuries, spread out live reps, work on passing, and improve coaching decisions. Regardless as to whether Tulane losses by 1 or by 40, the final score is not that important at this point.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OU looked very, very good against Ohio State. This is a tough game, no doubt. I'd lay the 35 points if I were forced to bet.

I want to see us compete. I want to move the ball and not have a series of 3 and outs. I want to make them punt on half of their possessions. This could be a very ugly game, I'd feel a whole lot better if we compete and don't look like the scout team for OU's next big game. I hope we're not shut out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Actually we're catching OU at the perfect time. Having beaten Ohio St they will very likely have a letdown. Tulane having lost a game they could have won will look to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised if the game remains fairly close going into the 4th Qtr. OU's QB is so good it's going to be tough to stop him. I think OU wins the game by around 17pts. Believe it or not I don't see us getting blown out.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:OU looked very, very good against Ohio State. This is a tough game, no doubt. I'd lay the 35 points if I were forced to bet.

I want to see us compete. I want to move the ball and not have a series of 3 and outs. I want to make them punt on half of their possessions. This could be a very ugly game, I'd feel a whole lot better if we compete and don't look like the scout team for OU's next big game. I hope we're not shut out.
The thing is, OU is gonna do a lot of things that make us look very bad. They did a lot of things that made OSU look very bad. If we make them punt on half their possessions, they're going to have huge scoring plays on the rest that make our D look silly. We're going to look like the scout team for their next game. But so would probably 80% of the teams in college football.

Short of coming within three TDs, I don't think anyone is going to have their opinions changed this week. Any result from a 24 point loss up to a 50 point loss is going to just be a rorschach test -- whatever you believed about us before, you'll still find plenty of justification for, either way.

Hopefully we will be at a point soon where these games aren't just about taking our beating and moving on, but that time is not now.
Ruski
Swell

Biggest upset ever
GreenLantern
Riptide

Ruski wrote:Biggest upset ever
I'd like some of what Ruski's having.

I believe that anytime a competitor is grossly outclassed, the margin of defeat is extremely important. Playing a close, competitive game would affect future recruiting. It would greatly affect team confidence and morale. It would impact fan attendance for the next several games. It would affect my morale and any decision about future ticket purchases and donations.

Calling upon my virtually non-existent success at boxing and brawling, I can tell you this: no matter how badly you are beaten, if you land a couple blows to the face, your opponent and your peers will look at you differently.

Now back to the Stolichnaya and my toast to Ruski: May we suffer as many losses as drops of vodka are left in our glasses!
greenphantom
Swell

Block will be blocked at least twice this Saturday. Like TPS, I think we can hang but imo, special teams will turn it into a blowout.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

For my own sanity, I'm not going to comment on this thread. Instead, I'll just look forward to watching this on TV and drinking heavily.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:For my own sanity, I'm not going to comment on this thread. Instead, I'll just look forward to watching this on TV and drinking heavily.
Your dad and I will witness in person. :oops:
Oh yea, the quickest way to a Big XII invite would be beat OU. :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:For my own sanity, I'm not going to comment on this thread. Instead, I'll just look forward to watching this on TV and drinking heavily.
Your dad and I will witness in person. :oops:
Oh yea, the quickest way to a Big XII invite would be beat OU. :mrgreen:
Thanks to RD numbing down the schedule to protect Johnson, we see MSU visiting Ruston and Boston instead of Yulman. Meanwhile it will be fun to go to Norman. Glad the game is at 5pm. I'm sure Tulane seats are in the sun. It's still September.

I understand argument against road warrioring but you still have to pay the bills and more importantly you have to beat someone to be someone. UMass doesn't qualify.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Actually we're catching OU at the perfect time. Having beaten Ohio St they will very likely have a letdown. Tulane having lost a game they could have won will look to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised if the game remains fairly close going into the 4th Qtr. OU's QB is so good it's going to be tough to stop him. I think OU wins the game by around 17pts. Believe it or not I don't see us getting blown out.
Agree. We certainly catch them at a good time. They have to still be celebrating their revenge win over OSU and no way their up for us. If they do whip us by 40 or more then kudos to Riley for a good coaching job in keeping his team focused.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I have no intention of watching this potential disaster. Glad when its over and no or very few injuries.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Ugh, just realized the game isn't on ESPN3, etc.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle ... =211658630
Roll Wave!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Ugh, just realized the game isn't on ESPN3, etc.

So, it's $55 to watch it? Yeah, I'll pass. Honestly, I'm not sure that there is any team that I would pay $55 for in order to see it play Tulane on tv/live stream.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

So, it's $55 to watch it? Yeah, I'll pass. Honestly, I'm not sure that there is any team that I would pay $55 for in order to see it play Tulane on tv/live stream.
Afraid so, unless I can find it online by other means... :computer:
Roll Wave!
MicMan
Swell

When's the last time TU played a top 3 team, and what was the result?
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Afraid so, unless I can find it online by other means... :computer:
I know its risky, but I've used firstrowsports dot eu for some games. I don't have CBSSN. I actually used it for the Navy game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Tulane welcomes the challenge:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
And the paycheck!
Jaxwave
Swell

Right, coach, and I am looking forward to my upcoming root canal.

I'm going to be honest with you guys that I am fearful this game could cost Tulane the rest of the seaso with injuries to key personnel. I would hold out bot Banks, Brantley, Hilliard, Badie and Enclade or at least significantly reduce their touches as well as key defensive guys to make sure they are available for the rest of the season.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:

I'm going to be honest with you guys that I am fearful this game could cost Tulane the rest of the seaso with injuries to key personnel. I would hold out bot Banks, Brantley, Hilliard, Badie and Enclade or at least significantly reduce their touches as well as key defensive guys to make sure they are available for the rest of the season.
Yes, football is a physical game, but you make it sound like all their players are a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier than we are. I don't imagine seeing Encalade make a catch in the secondary and being hit by a DB that's 6'7", 260lbs.
TURVS71
Swell

Looking forward to the trip with my fellow Greenbackers.
I will be happy when we return home with the $1,500,000 check.
And as for the game, keep them in the 40's and I'll look forward to Army,
Oh, Oklahoma now #2.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
galvezwave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:

God god, man! Why not forfeit?? Yes. They're bigger, stronger,faster and better. But they're kids.