Navy 23 - Tulane 21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

I agree with Steve and I don't see what most of you are seeing. We are more competitive but I don't see how we are supposed to win with this offense. Throwing it on the qb getting hurt is a cop out bc we didn't move the ball when he was In there. Things I saw that make me think nothing has changed: 1)We can't kick an xp 2) we can't attempt a 49yd fg to win 3)we can't get the right amount of players on the field for a punt return 4) we can't block anyone 5) we commit a number of dumb penalties 6) we need 3 4th down conversions to have our only successful scoring drive 7) we have no passing game 8) we run 2 straight options to the short side of the field on consecutive downs in a huge offensive series etc etc. I don't see it. Where is the improvement??

lurker123
Swell

sader24 wrote:I agree with Steve and I don't see what most of you are seeing. We are more competitive but I don't see how we are supposed to win with this offense. Throwing it on the qb getting hurt is a cop out bc we didn't move the ball when he was In there. Things I saw that make me think nothing has changed: 1)We can't kick an xp 2) we can't attempt a 49yd fg to win 3)we can't get the right amount of players on the field for a punt return 4) we can't block anyone 5) we commit a number of dumb penalties 6) we need 3 4th down conversions to have our only successful scoring drive 7) we have no passing game 8) we run 2 straight options to the short side of the field on consecutive downs in a huge offensive series etc etc. I don't see it. Where is the improvement??
Improvement? The professional answer: Tulane has easily covered the spread twice. Very easily for those who took Tulane early each week.

Tulane fan answer: This is starting to remind me of Buddy Teevens. Team was almost always competitive but just could never figure out how to win. Teevens lost a large number of games in the second half.

Regardless I love Fritz and I do think he will be successful at Tulane. Just my view.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Steve, you don't think we're all tired of it as well? Don't forget, we've been dealing with this a whole lot longer than you have. If you think 20 years of futility is hard, try 40-50-60 years like some here. Its going to change, its going to change sooner rather than later, but its not going to be the instant gratification that today's society is always looking for.

And you know what? That's ok. Because I'M TIRED of the flash in the pan, one and done winning seasons. What was the last time we actually put two winning seasons together? 79-80-81? We've had ONE double digit winning season since 1934, the second season of the SEC's existence. For ONCE, I'd like to take the time and build the PROPER foundation, so that we win not just in one season, but many seasons in a row. And I'm convinced that Fritz is the guy that will do that.
1. How many one and done winning seasons have you had in your lifetime? The 3 bowl seasons in my 36 years were a hell of a lot more exciting than the other 33 years.

2. Again, I ask you and anyone who shares the same opinion, what has Fritz done to convince you he is the guy? Not Dannen, not the stadium, not the proposed facilities, not the new President, not the tailgating, etc. etc. etc. FRITZ. Why in the hell does everyone think he is the next coming of Christ when has proved absolutely nothing in 14 games so far?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

phpBB [video]
Roll Wave!
wave97
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Steve, you don't think we're all tired of it as well? Don't forget, we've been dealing with this a whole lot longer than you have. If you think 20 years of futility is hard, try 40-50-60 years like some here. Its going to change, its going to change sooner rather than later, but its not going to be the instant gratification that today's society is always looking for.

And you know what? That's ok. Because I'M TIRED of the flash in the pan, one and done winning seasons. What was the last time we actually put two winning seasons together? 79-80-81? We've had ONE double digit winning season since 1934, the second season of the SEC's existence. For ONCE, I'd like to take the time and build the PROPER foundation, so that we win not just in one season, but many seasons in a row. And I'm convinced that Fritz is the guy that will do that.
1. How many one and done winning seasons have you had in your lifetime? The 3 bowl seasons in my 36 years were a hell of a lot more exciting than the other 33 years.

2. Again, I ask you and anyone who shares the same opinion, what has Fritz done to convince you he is the guy? Not Dannen, not the stadium, not the proposed facilities, not the new President, not the tailgating, etc. etc. etc. FRITZ. Why in the hell does everyone think he is the next coming of Christ when has proved absolutely nothing in 14 games so far?
If you want to measure success by any half-assed 7-5 CUSA team going to a bowl, then no, we haven't progressed.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote: What was the last time we actually put two winning seasons together?
Answer: '97 & '98
I always forget about that 97 season.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Oklahoma is beating up on Ohio State, 31-13 with just over 9 minutes left, so maybe they'll have a let-down and not beat us up too bad. And they start their conference the following week @Baylor.
Baylor is worse than us it seems.
And, our Boy RichRod lost last night to Houston 19 to 16. RR is on the hotseat this year at Arizona.
galvezwave
Swell

I get the frustration. Everyone is sick of the losing. Think back to 2,3 years ago, where we would go into a place like Annapolis utterly hopeless and defeated before the first snap. Then the coach would just say how awesome and unstoppable the opponent was week after week. We ran plays with 10 players. every single special teams play was a negative. All of them. now our kicking teams look smooth, fritz just missed on the kicker he signed. Gotta recruit a better kicker. Our return game and kick off game is way better than
Under previous 2 regimes. Offense needs to open up. Part of that is qb reads. Fritz isn't going to blame them for it. OL is just bad. Up from worst in recorded history. 2 games into season 2 . Give it some time.
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:

Of course the 3 bowl seasons were more exciting than the other 33 seasons. That was exactly my point. Add another 30 years to your 33, and what do we get? 1970,73,79,80,86. So between 1950 and 2016, 66 years, we get 8 bowl teams. If you think you're upset now, think how you'll feel if we reach 2047 and only have 3-4 more bowl seasons. Because that's how we feel now. Not discounting your frustration, just trying to get you to understand that we're even more frustrated.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

As was mentioned earlier, consensus on a prediction for the season was pretty much 5-7. We've got one. FIU, ECU,Cin, one of Army/Tulsa/Htn/SMU gets us to five. Seems like we're right on expectations. And there's no reason to think we can't win two of those last four and go bowling. There's no one that projected five wins that had us beating Navy, and I'd bet half of those that have us 6-6 and bowling didn't have us beating Navy either.

I hate to see the suicide watches we'll have on this board after we lose next week, even though its expected and built into our expectations.

And for what its worth, Navy's not FIU or UTEP. They've been to 13 bowls in the last 14 years. That's more than we've been to in our 124 year HISTORY. They are a solid, mature program that doesn't make mistakes and gets help from the refs at home. We lost by two points due to our mistakes. I guess Ohio State should just fire Urban Meyer and do a full rebuild, because they just lost by two touchdowns. Please stop with the meltdowns.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
galvezwave
Swell

I will be in you guys camp if we're having this conversation a year from now. But our problems are fixable and I believe we have a coach that can. Did fritz underrate how hard this would be? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he can't get it done
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:I will be in you guys camp if we're having this conversation a year from now. But our problems are fixable and I believe we have a coach that can. Did fritz underrate how hard this would be? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he can't get it done
THIS
Wave755
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:I get the frustration. Everyone is sick of the losing. Think back to 2,3 years ago, where we would go into a place like Annapolis utterly hopeless and defeated before the first snap. Then the coach would just say how awesome and unstoppable the opponent was week after week. We ran plays with 10 players. every single special teams play was a negative. All of them. now our kicking teams look smooth, fritz just missed on the kicker he signed. Gotta recruit a better kicker. Our return game and kick off game is way better than
Under previous 2 regimes. Offense needs to open up. Part of that is qb reads. Fritz isn't going to blame them for it. OL is just bad. Up from worst in recorded history. 2 games into season 2 . Give it some time.
How many punts did "Buffet Bob" Toledo's teams get blocked? Let's get next Saturday over with and then beat Army at Yulman.

Evaluating and giving up on this season after only 2 games is truly ridiculous.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:As was mentioned earlier, consensus on a prediction for the season was pretty much 5-7. We've got one. FIU, ECU,Cin, one of Army/Tulsa/Htn/SMU gets us to five. Seems like we're right on expectations. And there's no reason to think we can't win two of those last four and go bowling. There's no one that projected five wins that had us beating Navy, and I'd bet half of those that have us 6-6 and bowling didn't have us beating Navy either.

I hate to see the suicide watches we'll have on this board after we lose next week, even though its expected and built into our expectations.

And for what its worth, Navy's not FIU or UTEP. They've been to 13 bowls in the last 14 years. That's more than we've been to in our 124 year HISTORY. They are a solid, mature program that doesn't make mistakes and gets help from the refs at home. We lost by two points due to our mistakes. I guess Ohio State should just fire Urban Meyer and do a full rebuild, because they just lost by two touchdowns. Please stop with the meltdowns.
Yes it does look like we are on track to meet those 5-7 expectations. That's not a good thing. Meeting low expectations is a bad thing not a good thing. Then take a step back and look at the roster and see how much we lose off this team especially on the defensive side. Some want to swear next year is the year we make the big breakthrough. Once you look at the roster it's hard to realistically expect that to happen. So the frustrations mount.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

14 games in, win. 14 . Not a coach in America was going to right this ship, this roster, in 14 games. And I don't care who the defense loses. If it's not an above average aac unit, WF will own it.
One of the things I like about him.
lurker123
Swell

Fritz wants to win now. He ain't a young guy. He knew exactly what he was getting into. Why did he want the job? There are less than 130 FBS HC jobs. A couple of years ago and in his early fifties, he was looking at best at being a successful FCS coach capping a career in the minors, literally. Meanwhile he's now making what 6x/8x (?? I truly don't know) what he was making at SHSU. His staff has ridden that train too with a stop in Statesboro on the way. Do you think those folks aren't ecstatic to be at Tulane compared to Huntsville where everyone else in town works at the prison?

As concerns graduating seniors who contribute, Tulane needs to adjust its recruiting to reloading instead of rebuilding. Every good team loses good players every year but maintains consistent records year-in and year-out. Let's see if Fritz can do it.

These folks have the same urgency to succeed the fans do. I believe they will. Meanwhile please spare us the melodrama.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:14 games in, win. 14 . Not a coach in America was going to right this ship, this roster, in 14 games. And I don't care who the defense loses. If it's not an above average aac unit, WF will own it.
One of the things I like about him.
galvez I hear ya. It's just the manner we lose in. Still due to mind boggling things like missed XP's. And the boring fashion in which we lose. I like the structure he's giving the program with improving fundamentals, conditioning and discipline. I'm not giving up on him. I'm just stating the reasons so many of our few fans that we have left are so frustrated. As for who the defense loses I think when reality strikes next year you'll care who they lost.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:Fritz wants to win now. He ain't a young guy. He knew exactly what he was getting into. Why did he want the job? There are less than 130 FBS HC jobs. A couple of years ago and in his early fifties, he was looking at best at being a successful FCS coach capping a career in the minors, literally. Meanwhile he's now making what 6x/8x (?? I truly don't know) what he was making at SHSU. His staff has ridden that train too with a stop in Statesboro on the way. Do you think those folks aren't ecstatic to be at Tulane compared to Huntsville where everyone else in town works at the prison?

As concerns graduating seniors who contribute, Tulane needs to adjust its recruiting to reloading instead of rebuilding. Every good team loses good players every year but maintains consistent records year-in and year-out. Let's see if Fritz can do it.

These folks have the same urgency to succeed the fans do. I believe they will. Meanwhile please spare us the melodrama.
Says the world's most melodramatic poster. :mrgreen:
Show Me
Tsunami

Navy is not going to win the league. They won yesterday only because they played Tulane. They should never have started out 13 point favorites. They lose that game to all of the top tier AAC teams. We win the TO battle 2-0 yet still lose to Navy. The play calling is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. No imagination. Navy was more exciting to watch. If ever there was a chance to beat Navy it was yesterday. Same old Tulane. Get a chance to win a key pivotal game and blow it.
Show Me I'm wrong. Please!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:As was mentioned earlier, consensus on a prediction for the season was pretty much 5-7. We've got one. FIU, ECU,Cin, one of Army/Tulsa/Htn/SMU gets us to five. Seems like we're right on expectations. And there's no reason to think we can't win two of those last four and go bowling. There's no one that projected five wins that had us beating Navy, and I'd bet half of those that have us 6-6 and bowling didn't have us beating Navy either.

Yes it does look like we are on track to meet those 5-7 expectations. That's not a good thing. Meeting low expectations is a bad thing not a good thing. Then take a step back and look at the roster and see how much we lose off this team especially on the defensive side. Some want to swear next year is the year we make the big breakthrough. Once you look at the roster it's hard to realistically expect that to happen. So the frustrations mount.
This. I just looked at Tulane's roster and it seems certain that the defense will regress next season. Tulane can only hope that some or all of Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, and maybe even East Carolina will be breaking in new coaches in 2018 and that that will help Tulane be a conference contender next year, but, even then, that may be a little optimistic.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Cairo Santos meant so much to Tulane winning football games in the CJ era. Since he graduated, the kicking game obviously has been subpar. But, it goes to show you how badly we need a decent kicker. Had we had a chance yesterday to drive to FG range, our chances to win would have been next to none.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'm not saying that the culture and environment aren't trying to change around here. All I'm saying is that I see no improvement YET this year from last year, and WF hasn't shown me anything yet.
Roll Wave!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote: Had we had a chance yesterday to drive to FG range, our chances to win would have been next to none.
JerseyWave
Riptide

1. Recurring theme that I posted many times last season.
A. We have to have a credible passing attack to win games in the AAC. 66 yards passing and we will continue to have a 1-7 conference record.
B. #21 gets burned over and over again. He's toast! Why does he start?

Onto Navy game:
Navy is one of the better teams we will play this year. Well coached and tough. Not knocking Fritz, but Navy has better coaching and better Football players. The first four drives with Banks the offense was terrible with suspect play calling. Very disappointing to see this. Brantley brought a much needed spark. Without the two defensive turn overs, a 14 point swing in my opinion, this game could have been over by halftime. Parry's INT probably saved a TD scoring drive and then Teamers fumble return put us on the board when the offense was struggling. It just so pathetic that extra point kicks continue to be an adventure for Tulane. There's probably 1,000 high school kickers out there, including some girls, who could make 99.9% of their extra point attempts. Go get one! There's definitely five more winnable games on the schedule for Bowl eligibility. This program has to take that step forward in 2017.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Show Me wrote:Navy is not going to win the league. They won yesterday only because they played Tulane. They should never have started out 13 point favorites. They lose that game to all of the top tier AAC teams. We win the TO battle 2-0 yet still lose to Navy. The play calling is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. No imagination. Navy was more exciting to watch. If ever there was a chance to beat Navy it was yesterday. Same old Tulane. Get a chance to win a key pivotal game and blow it.
Show Me I'm wrong. Please!

Your right!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!