Tulane / Yulman and High School Football

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A marriage made in NIMBY HELL..and I love it !!!!

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... river_home

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good deal. Looking forward hopefully to see the Blue Jays play there. Good way to get parents, students and potential recruits to visit our campus.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

De La Salle could walk to the stadium and John Curtis is a 20 min ride
Great recruiting tool
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:A marriage made in NIMBY HELL..and I love it !!!!

I'm surprised I haven't seen NIMBY's run to Susan Guidry and complain... yet.... I really hope we can host a St. Aug game because games are much more fun with a nice marching band, i.e; Southern.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:A marriage made in NIMBY HELL..and I love it !!!!

I'm surprised I haven't seen NIMBY's run to Susan Guidry and complain... yet.... I really hope we can host a St. Aug game because games are much more fun with a nice marching band, i.e; Southern.
I think we should host a battle of the marching bands the same night. Put all the bands on the Glazer side. Make the NIMBYs realize that an upper deck on their side would limit the noise, not add to it. EFF THEM, there was an 80,000 seat stadium in their back yard and there was NOTHING preventing Tulane from rebuilding one that large. As New Orleans' largest private employer we should have fought tooth and nail to build as the original plans called for.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
chain gang x man
Swell

Wave QB
Swell

chain gang x man wrote:First game De La Salle vs St Aug

https://twitter.com/seanfazendefox8/sta ... 7864182786
Great news.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A lot of D1 prospects in that game.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Notice it says"one of the games". Hopefully more to come.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote:

Notice it says"one of the games". Hopefully more to come.
I wish they would have one every weekend that Tulane is out of town
John Curtis and De La Salle could alternate weekends
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

According to Tulane's website the final game at Tulane Stadium was between De La Salle and Archbishop Rummel. Rummel won. Nov 1, 1979

http://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/2016/ ... px?id=1604
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

This was in the nola.com article about the DLS-StAug game. So which is correct?

Chalmette and Jesuit played the last game on the Uptown college campus on Nov. 3, 1979, in the final football game at Tulane Stadium.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:This was in the nola.com article about the DLS-StAug game. So which is correct?

Chalmette and Jesuit played the last game on the Uptown college campus on Nov. 3, 1979, in the final football game at Tulane Stadium.
I looked up in a Jesuit yearbook and it looks like Nola is correct and the Tulane link is wrong. Jesuit did play Chalmette on Nov 3, 1979 and lost 24-9 at Tulane Stadium so that appears to be the last HS games played in the old stadium.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

And I know where I was that weekend, believe it or not! I was in Boston, MA, watching Tulane defeat Boston College 43-8, in a cold, steady downpour. Don't think the temp ever got above 40 degrees the whole game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

Some one please confirm. Tulane is not selling any tickets on East Side (i.e., Glazer and Westfeldt)? All tickets for remainder of Yulman will be general admission on bleacher type seats. For those who like to count noses, you can see how crowded the rest of the stadium is and what the announced attendance is.
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:And I know where I was that weekend, believe it or not! I was in Boston, MA, watching Tulane defeat Boston College 43-8, in a cold, steady downpour. Don't think the temp ever got above 40 degrees the whole game.
Funny story about this...My parents happened to be visiting NOLA that weekend, and my mom was 8 months pregnant. They went to Pat O's courtyard bar after dinner to take in the scene, and my father saw these Tulane fans celebrating their win over Boston College, having just watched it on TV. After two days in New Orleans and being enthralled with the city, he said to my mother... "wow, I would love if our child went to school at Tulane. Great football, great academics, great city!" Although their unborn child was my sister, I ended up being born over a year later, and it did come to fruition 20 years down the road.

He told me that story in 2002, during my senior year after we beat Navy at Gormley. He was in town, and we went to that same bar for a drink. He said... "it basically came true, in a way. Except for the great football."
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cool story. Thanks for sharing it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wow. Thanks for sharing OUG!
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

The Shrine on Airline is hosting 8 High School Games starting next Friday 9/15/17
Troy Dannen told the people at the Quarterback Club Meeting yesterday that Tulane will only host 2 games
The Next game will be Jesuit and Rummel Friday 10/13/17
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:The Shrine on Airline is hosting 8 High School Games starting next Friday 9/15/17
Troy Dannen told the people at the Quarterback Club Meeting yesterday that Tulane will only host 2 games
The Next game will be Jesuit and Rummel Friday 10/13/17
Thx. Probably host the playoffs at some point.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

A good game between De La Salle and St Aug last night with uptown neighbor De La Salle coming out on top
More importantly attendance was 6000
De La Salle could use Yulman as their home stadium instead of Pan American or WPA era Tad Gormerly
It's time for the Catholic league step up and work out a deal with Tulane and play at Yulman Stadium on the weekends Tulane is out of town
As hard as they try the Baby Cake management continues to tout The Shrine on Airline as an excellent venue for prep football. Anyone who has watched a game at SOA has to admit the site lines are terrible. It's not a football stadium
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:A good game between De La Salle and St Aug last night with uptown neighbor De La Salle coming out on top
De La Salle could use Yulman as their home stadium instead of Pan American or WPA era Tad Gormerly
It's time for the Catholic league step up and work out a deal with Tulane and play at Yulman Stadium on the weekends Tulane is out of town
As hard as they try the Baby Cake management continues to tout The Shrine on Airline as an excellent venue for prep football. Anyone who has watched a game at SOA has to admit the site lines are terrible. It's not a football stadium
No doubt! Good points!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:A good game between De La Salle and St Aug last night with uptown neighbor De La Salle coming out on top

All one has to do is take a look at the 'Pinstripe Bowl" and U would know a baseball site is not a good football venue...but rent and concession money helps the bottom line....

I still am amazed with all of the FEMA money that was donated to NOLA, that Gormley was not really well renovated..to me it is a very nice venue with some history..the NFL, MLB "spring games", The Beatles, Olympic trials, nice tailgating area and most importantly NO NIMBY /Elected official interference...on Airline, the only history is a large statue of Hair Mousse and a bust of Ron Masteri's head, which seems to get larger by the day

http://photos.nola.com/4500/gallery/st_ ... index.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !