Grambling GameDay Thread-Wave wins 43-14

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tufinal4 wrote:Crowd at Grambling game was MUCH better than SEVERAL home games we've had. Student section was fairly packed throughout first half. We were obviously gonna blow them out, no way they were staying longer on a Sat night. Just being honest.

Some of our past home games were announced at ridiculous totals, while last Saturday night was announced with brutal honesty. Did we change our policy to turnstile count vs tickets distributed.
The total quoted was not even close to how few were there. Remember those sections right below the press box don't have a lot of seats in them. The large sections alongside that were empty. Most of the Westfelt Terrace seats were empty. There was nowhere close to 15,000 there. We have certainly had worse crowds with less than 5,000. Thank goodness for all the Grambling fans that came in or this would have been similar.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I wonder how many we lost that may have decided to go to the LSU/BYU game instead?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I wonder how many we lost that may have decided to go to the LSU/BYU game instead?
The announced crowd for byu was 53,000. Which got the usual pat on the backs. But I felt that was very light , even with the circumstances. Season opener an hour away ? I thought that was a weak turnout for them
galvezwave
Swell

And to answer your question, probably had zero affect on the Tulane crowd. Everyone that was gonna go was there for the most part.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I wonder how many we lost that may have decided to go to the LSU/BYU game instead?
The announced crowd for byu was 53,000. Which got the usual pat on the backs. But I felt that was very light , even with the circumstances. Season opener an hour away ? I thought that was a weak turnout for them
If the game had been played in Houston or Dallas it would have been a sell out..but you cannot expect the BYU people to come to nola the week end of the decadent festival that celebrates all they are preach against
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

I didn't get to catch most of the game due to issues with ESPN3 and I was at another game but from what I saw made me feel good about the season. Thank God we finally have a legit dual threat QB. Optimistic that we can beat Navy.

Like Sader, I gave up my season tix this year. I'd be ok with the required donation if we had a legit program. I'll buy individual resale tix for select games this year and if the season goes well, I'll consider season tix next year.
sader24
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:I didn't get to catch most of the game due to issues with ESPN3 and I was at another game but from what I saw made me feel good about the season. Thank God we finally have a legit dual threat QB. Optimistic that we can beat Navy.

Like Sader, I gave up my season tix this year. I'd be ok with the required donation if we had a legit program. I'll buy individual resale tix for select games this year and if the season goes well, I'll consider season tix next year.
This is basically exactly how i feel. You can't tax me for the right to support you when you have done nothing on the field for years. If we were a consistent success I would just bite the bullet but we are not. I hope this changes. As for the crowd at the LSU game, that game also put out of whack ticket prices for what anyone paying attention realized was not a very attractive draw. I don't think Tulane is the only school doing something wrong with tickets and donations etc, I just think the others have enough strong demand to survive it.
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
If the game had been played in Houston or Dallas it would have been a sell out..but you cannot expect the BYU people to come to nola the week end of the decadent festival that celebrates all they are preach against
??? Wasn't expecting any byu people. There would have been 80k in tiger stadium for that game. Wondering why all those fools didn't go.
Houma de Wave
Swell

wavemania wrote:So the survey will get great reviews from the 3,000 season ticket holders who still care. The ones who quit because they didn't change what we were telling them sucks, it doesn't matter to them now. :lol:
Mania: Did you get the survey? Tulane, obviously, didn't ask about the attendance. If they had, TPS, myself and any other folks would have addressed that. I think the stadium music sucks BIG TIME, but concessions were OK with my beer choice just fine. The ushers, etc. we're extremely courteous. So, with cupcake questions, I was happy to give them high marks. I can only hope they understand what's wrong with the game day experience.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Houma de Wave wrote:
wavemania wrote:So the survey will get great reviews from the 3,000 season ticket holders who still care. The ones who quit because they didn't change what we were telling them sucks, it doesn't matter to them now. :lol:
Mania: Did you get the survey? Tulane, obviously, didn't ask about the attendance. If they had, TPS, myself and any other folks would have addressed that. I think the stadium music sucks BIG TIME, but concessions were OK with my beer choice just fine. The ushers, etc. we're extremely courteous. So, with cupcake questions, I was happy to give them high marks. I can only hope they understand what's wrong with the game day experience.
anything less than exceptional service is a failure...you only have 6 times a year to get it right and make a favorable impression...if someone tells me,,"well it's the first day of business and we are ironing out the kinks...I would tell them, if your "life depended' on this first day, being the "best day", I bet your ass would not be here apologizing ....Just think of it this way...there is an incoming bomb, and U are depending on the counter shot to take it out and save your life...the counter shot misses, but before you die, they tell ya "sorry, it's our first day, you can't expect us to be perfect" ...screw the survey, if they had hired the right people, and done their job correctly, a survey would not be needed
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The LSU attendance was affected by Decadence Fest too. There weren't many hotel rooms. Plus as sader noted the prices were too high for that matchup.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:Record low attendance for Yulman Stadium. Many people like Sader dropped their tickets because of the donation BS. I believe a lot of T Club ticket holders dropped theirs as well. https://twitter.com/guersmith/status/904190041274114048
Something is worth what someone else will pay for it.

Many of my friends ponied up, as I did, the $2,000 donation for Westfedlt Terrace seats. Many of my friends also drank very much of the Cow/Dick Kool-Aid and believed there was nothing wrong with Tulane Football the Superdome wasn't responsible for and if we built a small on-campus stadium, "all of our dreams would come true." None of my Kool-Aid drinking friends presently maintain their Westfeldt seats, and nor do I.

We must make it known to Troy Dannen the Westfeldt donation requirement is unreasonable for where Tulane football is today for both our winning record and the schedule we play. Sometimes less is more, by simply opening up the Westfeldt Terrace to all season ticket holders we might then generate more revenue than for the at present 85% unoccupied Westfeldt Terrrace and actually put some real diehard Tulane fans in the stands for game day.

Does anyone know about how many Westfeldt Terrace season tickets have been sold for 2017?
sader24
Tsunami

Go look on the Ticket Website. You can pretty much count it.
pansdad
Ripple

I have Westfelt season seats and I GLADLY pay the bonus. I consider this a donation that I would have made anyway. I know that the bonus is a big hit for most Tulane fans and I understand the complaints. However, if you are real fans, just keep this negative stuff to yourselves. Write to the Athletic Director and maybe something will be done, but PLEASE don't air your complaints here for all to see. When so called "fans" make such negative posts it is detrimental to our program and does nothing more than satisfy your angst.
OUG
Riptide

pansdad wrote:I have Westfelt season seats and I GLADLY pay the bonus. I consider this a donation that I would have made anyway. I know that the bonus is a big hit for most Tulane fans and I understand the complaints. However, if you are real fans, just keep this negative stuff to yourselves. Write to the Athletic Director and maybe something will be done, but PLEASE don't air your complaints here for all to see. When so called "fans" make such negative posts it is detrimental to our program and does nothing more than satisfy your angst.
Except that complaints made in public generate heat, which generates action.

Longtime fans are valuable stakeholders for TU athletics (or should be!). Fans aren't supposed to be an army of PR flacks for the school. They should be holding the school accountable. Any smart AD knows this. Troy Dannen definitely knows this. He knows that they need to earn the fans trust.

It''s like a restaurant complaining about Yelp reviews. You can focus your energy on bitching about the Yelp reviews while your business dwindles, or you can fix the issues causing the bad reviews. At the end of the day, fans are already making statements with their wallets.
Wave QB
Swell

OUG wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
OUG wrote:I honestly don't know how anyone could watch that Grambling team and conclude they were solid or at all well-prepared to play in this game. They committed a delay of game penalty on the FIRST play from scrimmage for their entire season. They committed 11 penalties. They literally tackled themselves on a kickoff return. I hate to keep bringing up all their cramps but Tulane didn't have one player cramp all night, which tells you how physically unprepared Grambling was. They were exhausted by the third quarter. We could have named the score but Willie kept it vanilla and slowed the game down.

If they turned the ball over 4 times like Southern did, you'd have seen a similar outcome to that game.

This isn't to take anything away from our offense. It does look better, and Banks has potential. But we won't really know much about this team until we play someone who can physically match up with us. None of their OL or DL passed the eyeball test.
All true but isn't it fun to watch Tulane make another team look really bad? Grambling brought at least 5000 fans and a world class band and they barely made a peep all night. Yeah much of it was self-inflicted but don't you think Tulane had something to do with that?
I'm all for scheduling the SWAC. They bring great bands, they great fans, and they can't beat us. This should be our aim as far as scheduling an FCS opening game every year.

I'm just against using it as some kind of measuring stick. A lot of people here spent this week building them up too much. Someone said beating them by a FG would be the biggest win of the Fritz era. Let's just take it for what it's worth and move on to Navy.
I agree with scheduling SWAC teams as well. I really enjoyed Grambling's crowd. They were very cool. Southern, Grambling, Jackson State and Alcorn State should be in Yulman every other year. They all are known for bringing good crowds and a good halftime show to FBS schools. SLU, Northwestern State, and McNeese should be in scheduled in between.

Starting the season off against a regional FCS is always a good deal for programs who struggle to get into bowl games. It's like a preseason game that sell tickets. Now, we are 5 wins away from being bowl eligible for the first time since 2013 with 11 games in front of us.
Wave QB
Swell

OUG wrote:
pansdad wrote:I have Westfelt season seats and I GLADLY pay the bonus. I consider this a donation that I would have made anyway. I know that the bonus is a big hit for most Tulane fans and I understand the complaints. However, if you are real fans, just keep this negative stuff to yourselves. Write to the Athletic Director and maybe something will be done, but PLEASE don't air your complaints here for all to see. When so called "fans" make such negative posts it is detrimental to our program and does nothing more than satisfy your angst.
Except that complaints made in public generate heat, which generates action.

Longtime fans are valuable stakeholders for TU athletics (or should be!). Fans aren't supposed to be an army of PR flacks for the school. They should be holding the school accountable. Any smart AD knows this. Troy Dannen definitely knows this. He knows that they need to earn the fans trust.

It''s like a restaurant complaining about Yelp reviews. You can focus your energy on bitching about the Yelp reviews while your business dwindles, or you can fix the issues causing the bad reviews. At the end of the day, fans are already making statements with their wallets.
Agreed!
GreenLantern
Riptide

There were a few comments earlier about the poor turnout in the student section. Here's a picture. I didn't recall seeing a lot of empty seats.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. That's one section of the student section. They showed Neenan kicking the field goal in the second quarter last night and you could clearly see the empty rows at the top of the sections. Even others have commented that it never filled up. Let it go. we have bigger concerns.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Glad we won, but Grambling was awful. Hopefully this was a game to get the kids up to game speed and ready for the season ahead. Let's see what happens this week. On to Navy.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Glad we won, but Grambling was awful. Hopefully this was a game to get the kids up to game speed and ready for the season ahead. Let's see what happens this week. On to Navy.
Some of this. It's too soon to tell whether Tulane is exponentially better than it was last season or whether Grambling is just not what it was last season. Given Navy's performance @FAU, it appears to be operating as efficiently as it does almost every season, and, as a result, the Tulane v. Navy game should be able to clarify just how good Tulane is - a win there makes 6+ regular season wins attainable and creates a distinct possibility of Tulane finishing in the top half of the AAC West.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt it was your classic tune up game so it needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Same for Navy's game v. FAU. Fritz said on his show that with school being out today they would get to spend a lot more time breaking down the film and correcting mistakes. What you could see was that Banks skill set is better than what we had last year. Now will his decision making hold up when he starts getting pressured is the main question. The few times they did get after him he moved well and threw well. Teams will have to respect the pass and that's a huge leap from last year. So despite the opponent it was a promising start.
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote:LOL. That's one section of the student section. They showed Neenan kicking the field goal in the second quarter last night and you could clearly see the empty rows at the top of the sections. Even others have commented that it never filled up. Let it go. we have bigger concerns.
Win, you’re right. I owe you an apology. I have embarrassed myself by having the temerity to display a photo showing a full student section after you had previously corrected me and stated otherwise. I should know better.

In future threads I will withhold any comment until I first read and study your perspective on the topic. That will allow me to understand the proper and truthful position to be taken….any photographs or personal observations I have made will be disregarded.

And I would also like to thank you for your rebuke to ‘let this go’. You’re absolutely right. This is your forum and I am here solely to provide an audience for your posts.

Should you feel the need to offer further correction ( and it will be a monumental first if you don’t), please fire away. I will offer no further comment that might detract from the power of your reply.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

To close out this thread:

Here's a recap of stats from the game on Saturday:

Total Yards:

TU: 481 yards
GSU: 221 yards

Passing:

TU: 10 / 15 for 185 yards , 3 passing tds
Hilliard- 2 catches for 77 yards, 1 td
Encalade- 3 catches for 50 yards, 1 td
Mooney- 2 catches for 21 yards, 1 td

GSU: 15 / 27 for 148 yards , 0 passing tds

Rushing:

TU: 51 rushes for 296 yards (Fritzball) 3 rushing tds
Banks- 16 carries, 69 yards, 1 td
Encalade- 1 carry, 58 yards, 1 td
Bradwell- 6 carries, 58 yards, 1 td
Huderson- 7 carries, 36 yards

GSU: 22 rushes for 77 yards 2 rushing tds

Time of Possession:

TU: 36:14 (Fritzball)
GSU: 23:46

First Downs: (Defense was lights out)

TU: 26 3rd down efficiency: 7/11
GSU:10 3rd down efficiency: 4/12

Turnovers:

TU:0 (+1)
GSU:1

Penalties:

TU: 8 for 75 yards (need to clean up)
GSU: 11 for 80 yards

ST: Cover your eyes

TU: 1/1 field goal 26 yards out, 4/6 extra point attempts.... (need to fix ASAP)
Punting: Block- 3 punts for 108 yards total, 36 net average for punting

I don't know why it's not letting me embed photos or videos from the game, so I added these links for your viewing pleasure. *not a photographer or videographer, but have some nice close-ups

Student Section: Not empty
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNR0KNc356TwR0lI2

Hilliard (?) with the nice run:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aJbZQk1aOD0RaI742

Encalade with the nice 10 yard reception:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gj5WuHGYF0yUDzsw1

Banks with the keeper for a nice 8 yard pick-up:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2iVVMmtY4FecxGFM2

Banks with nice zip on 10 yard and out throw:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DIzwDo52R62YpO6n1

Banks with the nice 20 yard td throw:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvRN0uDMoL9qIHyN2

Enjoy, happy Tuesday, ROLL DAMN WAVE! BEAT NAVY!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well GL you've already gone back on your word to let it go once before. :mrgreen: . Again that is not the entire student section in that photo. They have that end zone as the student section. Maybe you were just mistaken I your belief that that one section is the entire student section or you just refuse to admit your bad.