Grambling GameDay Thread-Wave wins 43-14

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:
OUG wrote:I honestly don't know how anyone could watch that Grambling team and conclude they were solid or at all well-prepared to play in this game. They committed a delay of game penalty on the FIRST play from scrimmage for their entire season. They committed 11 penalties. They literally tackled themselves on a kickoff return. I hate to keep bringing up all their cramps but Tulane didn't have one player cramp all night, which tells you how physically unprepared Grambling was. They were exhausted by the third quarter. We could have named the score but Willie kept it vanilla and slowed the game down.

If they turned the ball over 4 times like Southern did, you'd have seen a similar outcome to that game.

This isn't to take anything away from our offense. It does look better, and Banks has potential. But we won't really know much about this team until we play someone who can physically match up with us. None of their OL or DL passed the eyeball test.
All true but isn't it fun to watch Tulane make another team look really bad? Grambling brought at least 5000 fans and a world class band and they barely made a peep all night. Yeah much of it was self-inflicted but don't you think Tulane had something to do with that?
I'm all for scheduling the SWAC. They bring great bands, they great fans, and they can't beat us. This should be our aim as far as scheduling an FCS opening game every year.

I'm just against using it as some kind of measuring stick. A lot of people here spent this week building them up too much. Someone said beating them by a FG would be the biggest win of the Fritz era. Let's just take it for what it's worth and move on to Navy.

JerseyWave
Riptide

We did what we should be doing against FCS, Dominate! Under previous coaches it was always a competitive game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was a nice start to the season once the sun went down. Glad Banks got one under his belt and in good fashion. Clewis really made some nice downfield blocks. The defense looked good. We made the most of our advantage of our D-line versus their O-line. Like others have noted I think we held back on some things. They really have been pointing to the Navy game and as mentioned you usually see the biggest jump in season in game two. Looking forward to it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Everything went well with the exception of the kicking game. Two missed PAT's can't happen against better competition.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:I honestly don't know how anyone could watch that Grambling team and conclude they were solid or at all well-prepared to play in this game. They committed a delay of game penalty on the FIRST play from scrimmage for their entire season.
Yes, I remember when a Toledo team did that against Tulsa on the first play in the first game. Actually Toledo used a time out, time-out I believe. And as I recall, he had to call 2 time outs to get the first play in. I knew then that the season was sunk.
Thanks for bringing back that horrible memory. LOL.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:http://twitter.com/doshwoods/status/904137079042572288
To be honest that was the worst opening game student attendance since going back on campus. We were all talking about it at the game. You'll note that picture is taken from the side. There were a lot of empty bleachers from about the midpoint up. Usually full to the top for the first half. Of course as has been mentioned ticket sales are down this year and there just weren't a lot of Tulane fans there. Hopefully Banks proves to be the real deal as the season progresses and we start drawing people back in.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
dpm wave wrote:http://twitter.com/doshwoods/status/904137079042572288
To be honest that was the worst opening game student attendance since going back on campus. We were all talking about it at the game. You'll note that picture is taken from the side. There were a lot of empty bleachers from about the midpoint up. Usually full to the top for the first half. Of course as has been mentioned ticket sales are down this year and there just weren't a lot of Tulane fans there. Hopefully Banks proves to be the real deal as the season progresses and we start drawing people back in.
IF YOU WIN THEY WILL COME (unlike what Cowen argued, "if you build a small on campus stadium they will come").

Beat Navy next week and we could be on the way to a very good season for Tulane football.

And, "they will come."
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Grambling fans really showed up. I was surprised at the numbers on the west side and end zone.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They were also on the east side where the greenbackers used to sit.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:They were also on the east side where the greenbackers used to sit.
Thanks.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This exceeded expectations. Given how poorly the AAC has looked so far, bowl eligibility is now seriously on the table as long as Tulane can average at least 30 pts and the defense can hold up against FBS programs.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote:To be honest that was the worst opening game student attendance since going back on campus. We were all talking about it at the game. You'll note that picture is taken from the side. There were a lot of empty bleachers from about the midpoint up. Usually full to the top for the first half. Of course as has been mentioned ticket sales are down this year and there just weren't a lot of Tulane fans there.
This is not accurate. At the time of kickoff, the student section was less than half filled. I commented my disappointment to my wife. However during the 2nd qtr I was surprised to see that the entire section was filled. If there was an empty seat, I could not see it.

I proudly sit on the west side on the 50 yard line. The good news is that the entire section was filled nearly to capacity. The bad news is that few of us were wearing green. Being in the 15% minority at a home game greatly diminishes the excitement. I don't like the idea of sitting in the sun on the east side, but it appears that if I want to enjoy a homefield atmosphere and not be surrounded by fans of the opposing team, that is going to become necessary.

There are many things to complain about concerning attendance for this game, but student participation was not one of them. It's disappointing that at least 80% of the students had left by the fourth quarter, but that's not going to change. Some of you were young once and may actually remember the pleasurable attractions outside of the stadium.

The real attendance problem? The east side...ESPECIALLY the upper deck. It was no more than 25% filled, if that. Also, before the game, tailgating was at a low point for opening games.

It's fun to be a kvetch and that is one of the reasons for this forum. However, Tulane should have earned some grace with this victory. We have a great president, AD, and football coach for the first time in recent memory. If we continue to play well and WIN games, attendance will improve.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I stand by my post . Like I said everyone around us commented on it throughout the game. I was just responding to a post. As I said elsewhere some need to work on their reading comprehension before pouncing.
sader24
Tsunami

I didn't buy season tickets for the first time in as long as I've been alive. There are 10 season tickets sold in my entire section and they still demand charging me a $250 mandatory donation for the right to buy season tickets in a section nobody wants to sit in. I talked with several ppl In the ticket office and essentially their attitude was either pay the donation or go F yourself. I have had a multitude of poor experiences at the new stadium from being towed, to concessions, to them allowing southern fans in my seats while not allowing me to walk upstairs to tell a friend hello, etc etc. They have not won and until they do have no basis to charge the mandatory donation other than to tax the few remaining fans left. When single game tickets went on sale i simply bought my individual seat instead of 3 season tickets for every home game other than Grambling which i had zero interest in watching that joke of a game and saved $650. No mandatory donation to buy single game seats but mandatory donation to buy 3 season tickets in the same section is moronic. Crowds will be light this season win or lose.
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote:I stand by my post . Like I said everyone around us commented on it throughout the game. I was just responding to a post. As I said elsewhere some need to work on their reading comprehension before pouncing.
Win, I recognize and appreciate your loyalty and dedication to Tulane sports. I humbly defer to your greater football knowledge and experience. However, that doesn't mean that you are always right, especially when there are pictures as well as my own visual observations to the contrary. BTW, stating a position different than yours is not 'pouncing'. It is civil dialog.

As several others have commented, you seem always curiously determined to have the last word, so go ahead and take your shot. Like Forrest, that's all I have to say about that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GL- As for the student section you said it wasn't filled in the first quarter and that it was emptied out in the second half. You say it was full for some reason in the second quarter. Where I sat I had a good view of it and never noticed it filled up at any point. If it did it was brief.

As for your last paragraph in your first post I made other post about our good performance. Then I simply responded to a post about attendance. There was no need for that comment. And yes when someone addresses me I certainly am going to respond.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Official story:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/9/ ... 43-14.aspx

This year you can watch the press conference without an all-access subscription.
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote:
winwave wrote:To be honest that was the worst opening game student attendance since going back on campus. We were all talking about it at the game. You'll note that picture is taken from the side. There were a lot of empty bleachers from about the midpoint up. Usually full to the top for the first half. Of course as has been mentioned ticket sales are down this year and there just weren't a lot of Tulane fans there.
This is not accurate. At the time of kickoff, the student section was less than half filled. I commented my disappointment to my wife. However during the 2nd qtr I was surprised to see that the entire section was filled. If there was an empty seat, I could not see it.

I proudly sit on the west side on the 50 yard line. The good news is that the entire section was filled nearly to capacity. The bad news is that few of us were wearing green. Being in the 15% minority at a home game greatly diminishes the excitement. I don't like the idea of sitting in the sun on the east side, but it appears that if I want to enjoy a homefield atmosphere and not be surrounded by fans of the opposing team, that is going to become necessary.

There are many things to complain about concerning attendance for this game, but student participation was not one of them. It's disappointing that at least 80% of the students had left by the fourth quarter, but that's not going to change. Some of you were young once and may actually remember the pleasurable attractions outside of the stadium.

The real attendance problem? The east side...ESPECIALLY the upper deck. It was no more than 25% filled, if that. Also, before the game, tailgating was at a low point for opening games.

It's fun to be a kvetch and that is one of the reasons for this forum. However, Tulane should have earned some grace with this victory. We have a great president, AD, and football coach for the first time in recent memory. If we continue to play well and WIN games, attendance will improve.
The $2,000 donation requirement for Westfelt Terrance seats is way out of line for the schedule
and team performance to date. It needs to be changed, the sooner the better. The fans have "voted with their feet" for the Westfelt minimum donation requirement. And, since many Glaser people don't even live in Louisiana, an empty Glaser section coupled to an above empty Westfelt Terrance creates as much a "non-college" atmosphere as an empty Superdome.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:The $2,000 donation requirement for Westfelt Terrance seats is way out of line for the schedule
and team performance to date. It needs to be changed, the sooner the better. The fans have "voted with their feet" for the Westfelt minimum donation requirement.
Agreed. Winning (and the necessary financial investment to do so) must precede demand.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: I'm just against using it as some kind of measuring stick. A lot of people here spent this week building them up too much. Someone said beating them by a FG would be the biggest win of the Fritz era. Let's just take it for what it's worth and move on to Navy.
You are misquoting me. I said "If we beat them by a Field Goal AND THEY WENT ON TO BE ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN FCS AND MAKE THE FCS SEMI FINALS it would be the biggest win to date of the Fritz era." They proved last night they are not one of the top teams in FCS. And again, my point was that the very top teams in the FCS can pretty much do what they want against the bottom of FBS. Witness what took place in Greenville, NC last night.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
OUG wrote: I'm just against using it as some kind of measuring stick. A lot of people here spent this week building them up too much. Someone said beating them by a FG would be the biggest win of the Fritz era. Let's just take it for what it's worth and move on to Navy.
You are misquoting me. I said "If we beat them by a Field Goal AND THEY WENT ON TO BE ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN FCS AND MAKE THE FCS SEMI FINALS it would be the biggest win to date of the Fritz era." They proved last night they are not one of the top teams in FCS. And again, my point was that the very top teams in the FCS can pretty much do what they want against the bottom of FBS. Witness what took place in Greenville, NC last night.
Greenville....look at what took place in WACO...Chip and Joanna are on suicide watch, as Magnolia realty burns
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:

Well said!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!