Grambling Game thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Check 1280 to see if it streams.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:Any radio stations streaming game if anyone knows?
If the game is streamed on ESPN3, you should be able to watch it with the ESPN app on your phone and a cable subscription.
Wave QB
Swell

Although I disagree the few who think Grambling is just another SWAC cupcake, I do agree that we should air it out and work on the passing game in this one. With Navy and Oklahoma coming up, we don't need to give up too much film. Grambling is a good FCS program, but we should be able to pass the ball against them. Grambling will be passing the ball as well, but our secondary won't allow us to get into a dog fight.
greenphantom
Swell

I do think this game will be fairly close. Anyone who thinks Grambling can't beat Tulane doesn't remember App St beating Michigan. I expect we will run roughshod over them but on the flip side their offense will make big plays and keep things tight. Our defense and secondary is somewhat overrated. We may have better depth but I'm not buying that losing Smart and Marley won't be huge.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think our pass rush will create more problems for Grambling in the passing game than our secondary. Yes, our secondary is good, but give a QB like Kincade time and he'll pick apart a secondary, as any good QB would. Shutdown corners and safeties are few and far between, especially in college football. Ours are good, but take advantage of mistakes more than they blanket receivers. Pressure on Kincade could force him to make a mistake, something he didn't do often last year.

This Grambling team is a long, long way from the Appalachian State team that won in Ann Arbor, That team was an FCS powerhouse with many consecutive visits to the playoffs and played for championships. But we're a long way from that Michigan team, too!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Key will be turnovers. If Grambling plays turnover free it will be a ballgame. If they get sloppy we'll win going away.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

Grambling was who I thought they were.

Really, they were physically overmatched from start to finish and this was never a game. How many times did their guys cramp up? Most of their big plays came because our DL and LBs were getting so far up field so quickly that it was creating gaps for Kincaide to shoot through. We didn't even have to show anything -they were a total cupcake. And that's fine, that is what they are supposed to be in a game like this. They'll probably have a winning season in the SWAC by the way. I hope they do. Not trying to take anything away from them, they just are who they are.
Eaglewave
Swell

Didn't I promise y'all an ass beating! Damn! When are we going to wake the F up around here and realize that we are a FBS football program. I saw too many of our fans showing respect to this SWAC program that wins many games in the worst conference in FCS. Congrats to coach Fritz for beating up a small college the way we are supposed to do. We made Grambling pay for every mistake they made. I just wish we would have pass the ball like crazy.
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

OUG wrote:Grambling was who I thought they were.

Really, they were physically overmatched from start to finish and this was never a game.
As it figured to be, despite the protestations of the lingering "I was right" crowd.
OL still not top-shelf; and the kicking (shudder).
Houma de Wave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:Grambling was who I thought they were.

Really, they were physically overmatched from start to finish and this was never a game.
As it figured to be, despite the protestations of the lingering "I was right" crowd.
OL still not top-shelf; and the kicking (shudder).
You got that right, Box, The OL has a long way to go.

I do think that WF was not showing a whole bunch (to Navy) as far as the offensive attack is concerned. We didn't go wide with the RB's much. Frankly, we didn't have to.

Our kicker needs to keep it cool between the ears after shanking two PAT's.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on last nights game:
1. ESPN3 only had issues on my end with the Tulane game, and it cleared up at the end of the first quarter. I could watch the JMU dismantling of ECU game just fine, and earlier Michigan vs. Florida had no issues.
2. Although much, much improved, our QB play still has room for further improvement. Putting a little air under the deep throws would give the receivers better opportunities to make a play.
3. As others have noted, Fritz played his cards close to his chest last night.
4. Grambling was not as good as I expected, and didn't look like a team that should be ranked in the FCS standings. I was WRONG about how good they are, but stand by my assertion that there's three or four FCS teams every year that could dominate the bottom 30-40 teams in FBS. I didn't expect Grambing to be one of them, but I expected them to be better than what we saw.
5. Even though it's hard to judge where this team is, I'm standing by my 6 win prediction. I think the team is taking the big step from year one in the Fritz program to year 2 that I have expected since he was named our HC.

ROLL WAVE!
RobertM320
Green Wave

but stand by my assertion that there's three or four FCS teams every year that could dominate the bottom 30-40 teams in FBS
I don't think any of us ever questioned this, except maybe it should be the bottom 20-30, not 30-40.. James Madison vs ECU was a perfect example. I think the argument was: 1)Gramblings not one of those top 3-4 FCS teams, and 2) Tulane's no longer one of those bottom 30. Therefore, this game was never in doubt.

Now, Navy's QB had 200 yds rushing on Friday night at FAU. Let's move on and prepare for the Middies.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I also think we got everything out of this game that we wanted to.

1. A win
2. No injuries, as far as I know
3. Held our cards for future games.
4. Played a lot of players, including several true freshmen. Gets their first game jitters out of the way.
5. Learned exactly what areas need more work. There's no substitute for actual game situations.

Biggest improvement comes between game 1 and 2. Lets see if that's true again this week.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
but stand by my assertion that there's three or four FCS teams every year that could dominate the bottom 30-40 teams in FBS
I don't think any of us ever questioned this, except maybe it should be the bottom 20-30, not 30-40.. James Madison vs ECU was a perfect example. I think the argument was: 1)Gramblings not one of those top 3-4 FCS teams, and 2) Tulane's no longer one of those bottom 30. Therefore, this game was never in doubt.

Now, Navy's QB had 200 yds rushing on Friday night at FAU. Let's move on and prepare for the Middies.
There are some posters here that think all of FCS stinks and Tulane would beat any one of them. Except when North Dakota State goes into Iowa and beats a TOP 20 RANKED University of Iowa. You are right, though. It's time to focus on Navy.

Roll Wave!
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on last nights game:
1. ESPN3 only had issues on my end with the Tulane game, and it cleared up at the end of the first quarter. I could watch the JMU dismantling of ECU game just fine, and earlier Michigan vs. Florida had no issues.
2. Although much, much improved, our QB play still has room for further improvement. Putting a little air under the deep throws would give the receivers better opportunities to make a play.
3. As others have noted, Fritz played his cards close to his chest last night.
4. Grambling was not as good as I expected, and didn't look like a team that should be ranked in the FCS standings. I was WRONG about how good they are, but stand by my assertion that there's three or four FCS teams every year that could dominate the bottom 30-40 teams in FBS. I didn't expect Grambing to be one of them, but I expected them to be better than what we saw.
5. Even though it's hard to judge where this team is, I'm standing by my 6 win prediction. I think the team is taking the big step from year one in the Fritz program to year 2 that I have expected since he was named our HC.

ROLL WAVE!
I though the pass blocking was really good . Banks was rarely flushed, unless by design. I would like to see him keep the ball less. The option plays were spot on in execution. Night and day. Straight ahead run blocking was lacking. Bradwell and huderson ran harder than badie and Hilliard, maybe it looked that way because gsu was worn out though.
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvez, Fritz did mention in his post game presser that when Huderson and Bradwell were in Grambling still had their starters in. So the fresh legs may have made a difference.