Houston Hurricane Harvey

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am not sure how accurate the Weather Channel is, but I saw them relate the rain fall in metro Houston to filling every NFL and College Football Stadium with water 100 times !!!

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:I am not sure how accurate the Weather Channel is, but I saw them relate the rain fall in metro Houston to filling every NFL and College Football Stadium with water 100 times !!!
I heard one weatherman call it the worst flood in our nation's history. Had to stop and think about that one. I know it's bad, but is it as bad as the levy breaks and resulting floods that Katrina caused?

Regardless, my thoughts and prayers to all affected.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I am not sure how accurate the Weather Channel is, but I saw them relate the rain fall in metro Houston to filling every NFL and College Football Stadium with water 100 times !!!
I heard one weatherman call it the worst flood in our nation's history. Had to stop and think about that one. I know it's bad, but is it as bad as the levy breaks and resulting floods that Katrina caused?

DCT...Katrina directly affect about 1 million people...this will have a direct affect on 6.5 million people and a land mass area the size New Hampshire or Rhode Island or maybe both...compared to this, Katrina was a puddle
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:

D, think about the area this covers. Flooding for the most part during Katrina was limited to NOLA, and some parts of Jefferson Parish. Here we're looking at 30+ inches of rain over an area from Galveston Bay north to North Houston, and from Houston east all the way to the Louisiana state line and beyond. That's an area 80 MILES wide by 30 to 50 miles N/S. We're talking maybe 3000 square miles ALL with 30 inches or more of rain and heavy flooding. Its definitely more flooding, and will surely be a bigger economic cost just by the sheer loss of infrastructure and contents in such a wide area. Houston is much wealthier as a whole than NOLA is.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Golf, Katrina directly affected more than a million people. You have to take into account the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast as well. Still a drop in the bucket compared to this, but lets be accurate.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

Katrina killed over 1,800 people. So far around 30 have died in Harvey.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

TPS..not down playing the loss of life, it was terrible, but when you are told to leave and decide not to, you get what you get...and no way Katrina, even affecting the gulf coast, comes close to 6.5 million in population..Hell, the TOTAL population of Louisiana and Mississippi combined is not much more than 7.5 million, and that may be a little high... the major issue with Katrina was the terrible decisions by Guv Blank-OH and Ray - Ray....neither one was fit to hold office and both should have been put on trial
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

TPS..not down playing the loss of life, it was terrible, but when you are told to leave and decide not to, you get what you get...and no way Katrina, even affecting the gulf coast, comes close to 6.5 million in population..Hell, the TOTAL population of Louisiana and Mississippi combined is not much more than 7.5 million, and that may be a little high... the major issue with Katrina was the terrible decisions by Guv Blank-OH and Ray - Ray....neither one was fit to hold office and both should have been put on trial
I think the biggest difference is NOLA flooded in 1 hour whereas Houston flooded over days. The people in Nola that died did so because water came up so quickly. Not making excuses but many that died relied daily on public transportation to get around. Many didn't have their own transportation. Different flood completely. It didn't rain much in Nola (5"-10") during Katrina. The levees breaking killed all those people. Katrina produced the highest storm surge ever recorded in the United States.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Right, but according to D's post, the weatherman specifically was talking about worst flood. This one was so much more widespread. Also, we have no idea what the actual death toll will be from Harvey. Keep in mind its still raining and floodwaters are rising in the Port Arthur, Beaumont and Orange area, and there are lots of neighborhoods in Houston that went totally underwater. Since most Houstonians didn't evacuate, expect to find more bodies once the water subsides.
chain gang x man
Swell

Good news for Jeremy's parents house
No water
Jeremy's brother however was not as lucky
His house took on water although minimal but the baseboard and carpet have to be removed
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad to hear it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good news!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I think the biggest difference is NOLA flooded in 1 hour whereas Houston flooded over days. The people in Nola that died did so because water came up so quickly. Not making excuses but many that died relied daily on public transportation to get around. Many didn't have their own transportation. Different flood completely. It didn't rain much in Nola (5"-10") during Katrina. The levees breaking killed all those people. Katrina produced the highest storm surge ever recorded in the United States.
looks like Nagin issued a mandatory evacuation on Saturday, prior to the Monday landfall
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... y1GuyCEB5A
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Woody, the problem with the mandatory evacuation in New Orleans is that about 1/4 of the population of New Orleans relied, as Tim said, on public transportation. You couldn't take the Feret bus to evacuate. They simply had no way out, and didn't seek alternatives because of so many false alarms. I've had this argument with many Yanks up here who didn't understand why so many remained despite the evacuation order.

They're two different storms affecting two different locals.

Prayers to all affected.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Woody, the problem with the mandatory evacuation in New Orleans is that about 1/4 of the population of New Orleans relied, as Tim said, on public transportation. You couldn't take the Feret bus to evacuate. They simply had no way out, and didn't seek alternatives because of so many false alarms. I've had this argument with many Yanks up here who didn't understand why so many remained despite the evacuation order.

Prayers to all affected.
Actually, there weren't that many that remained. Somehow, many think that there were 100's of thousands that stayed. According to the city, there were less than 30K that remained in town by the time the storm hit. As for the Superdome, it was made very, very clear way before that it was a "shelter of last resort", and that you needed to bring your own food and water. Of course, no one expected them to be there for days and for the city to be destroyed, but that was still no excuse for people showing up emptyhanded.

Houston was so worried about a repeat of the clusterf**k that was Hurricane Rita evacuation that they ordered "shelter in place". However, people aren't supposed to be mindless sheep and expect to be led around. Common sense says that 1)if you've got elderly, sick, or small kids, you get them out of harms way, and 2)if you're staying, you somewhat prepare for not having access to stores for several days. When I see a storm hit on a Tuesday, and on Wed you have people out looting and their excuse is, they have no food for their kids to eat, whose fault is that?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Woody, the problem with the mandatory evacuation in New Orleans is that about 1/4 of the population of New Orleans relied, as Tim said, on public transportation. You couldn't take the Feret bus to evacuate. They simply had no way out, and didn't seek alternatives because of so many false alarms. I've had this argument with many Yanks up here who didn't understand why so many remained despite the evacuation order.

Prayers to all affected.
Buses ran on Saturday and Sunday...on Saturday and Sunday morning there were buses available for evacuation to Alexandria and Shreveport at the Superdome .. the vast majority, of whom pay zero taxes, would not board because the buses because there were not equipped with A/C ...because my company was supplying food and water, and since I was from metro NOLA, and directly responsible for my Companies Supply Chain /Logistics, I was directly involved in the movement of supplies and was very aware of what transportation was made available for evacuees so we could route supplies to the correct centers..Guv Blank-o and Nagin are morons and relied too heavily on the appointed cronies...