Grambling Game thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:The reason this is not an automatic win: Grambling's only loss last season was a game they lead at halftime 21-3 against a team a LOT better than Tulane.
I think saying Arizona was a LOT better than Tulane last year is an overstatement, to say the least. Other than Grambling, they only beat Hawaii and Arizona State (in an end of season rivalry game). They were 79th in ESPN FPI, Tulane was 95th.

Of course it's not an automatic win -- nothing is -- but we should win this game.
Have you taken a look at Arizona's 2016 schedule? Aside from the wins, Oregon State, and UCLA, Arizona faced murderers row - Washington, Washington State, Stanford, USC, Colorado, Utah, and BYU (none of which won less than 8 games). Could Arizona have performed better @Oregon State and @UCLA? Sure, but it also performed admirably by losing to BYU by 2 and going to OT with CFP participant Washington.
Losing to good teams does not make you a good team. They also lost to bad teams. The ratings indexes take the schedule into account. Objectively they weren't a much better team than Tulane was. Wake also played a "tough schedule" last year (FSU! Clemson! Louisville!) and went 7-6 against it. Were they A LOT better than Tulane?

The Pee-Five bias is strong with some of you guys.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Arizona would have been a double digit favorite on a neutral field (or even at Yulman, since we don't draw) against Tulane last year, and I would have laid the points and bet the house. Anyone that says otherwise after seeing both teams play is fooling themselves.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

OUG wrote:
Losing to good teams does not make you a good team. They also lost to bad teams. The ratings indexes take the schedule into account. Objectively they weren't a much better team than Tulane was. Wake also played a "tough schedule" last year (FSU! Clemson! Louisville!) and went 7-6 against it. Were they A LOT better than Tulane?

The Pee-Five bias is strong with some of you guys.
Arizona's 2016 schedule was dramatically more difficult than Wake Forest's, and it's not remotely close - Sagarin place's Arizona's 2016 schedule as the #18 toughest schedule in the nation while Wake Forest sits at #59 (Tulane is #78)*. Would 2016 Tulane have won 4 games against Arizona's schedule? The answer is probably not, especially when one considers that not all non-bowl teams are of the same strength. Also, given that Wake won 3 more games against a tougher schedule, yes, it was a lot better than Tulane.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... 2016/team/

*Note that these rankings include the impact of bowls, so Arizona's pre-bowl schedule strength would almost certainly be ranked in the top 10.
OUG
Riptide

I have eyeballs and watch a lot of college football. Arizona was not "A LOT" better than Tulane, and neither was Wake (hey, there's actual footage of a matchup between those two!). Wake certainly developed more over the course of the season, than Tulane did, but you'd have to say we belonged on the field with them. The same teams that beat Arizona last year would have beaten us, sure. But how does that mean Arizona is A LOT better? Does getting pounded by good teams sprinkle some "good team fairy dust" on you? The objective rankings say Arizona was *slightly* better, but within a negligible range.

People overstate how good these bottom-tier P5 programs are and understate how good the AAC is. I'll leave it at this: The fact that Arizona had the privilege of getting stomped by a few top 25 teams says nothing about how good they were, it only shows what level they were not at. Arizona was not even an average FBS football team last year and nobody that regularly watches or wagers on PAC 12 football would tell you otherwise. So all Grambling's loss to Arizona tells you is that they can hang in there but still lose against a mediocre FBS team. Ok, fine -- but that's not how it was spun in the original post. We should not be worried about beating Grambling at home.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Arizona would have been a double digit favorite on a neutral field (or even at Yulman, since we don't draw) against Tulane last year, and I would have laid the points and bet the house. Anyone that says otherwise after seeing both teams play is fooling themselves.
Arizona sucked last year. Tulane sucked. Tulane was probably worse. But not by "a lot" - certainly not by enough to make their game against Grambling some fear factor for us. And I doubt they would have blown us out. We were within two scores of Houston (#38 FPI) and Memphis (#51) at home, when we were at our healthiest, both better than Arizona. You could bet the house on a blowout if you wanted to, but you'd never convince me that you're not being effected by some p5 bias in doing so.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Your right, I have a P5 bias. I think the P5 teams are generally better than the G5 teams. So does most of the rest of the world, which is why the P5 TV contracts are so much better. More people watch.

Arizona played a final 4 playoff team to overtime. Arizona lost to BYU by 2 points. Yes, they had some bad losses, but so did we. We wouldn't have scored more than 17 points against them, and I feel they would have scored 30 or more against us. So yes, I'd lay 10+ points and bet the house. Two teams in the country were more inept than Tulane on offense. Nobody was worse at 3rd down conversions. Their program had a bad year, but was MUCH more mature than Tulane in 2016. We sucked a lot more than they did, even though they had a bad season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

I am more concerned about beating Navy and Oklahoma than worrying about a damn SWAC FCS program in this era. We will beat them convincingly just like we usually do SWAC opponents. Call us what you want, but we don't lose to FCS programs and it won't happen Saturday. Grambling has one weapon, Ole Miss transfer Devonte Devonte. He is one of the best QB's in FCS, but he is only one kids surrounded by other division II and FCS caliber kids. I
Ball Sumrall!
Ruski
Swell

More interesting to me than W/L and score predictions for this game, how many TDS do we need to win by for you to say WOW? Also what's the bare minimum margin before this is considered a bad win?

I'd say if we get 60+ again like Southern then I'll be impressed. If we win by less than 3 tds then it's a bad sign.
Wave QB
Swell

Ruski wrote:More interesting to me than W/L and score predictions for this game, how many TDS do we need to win by for you to say WOW? Also what's the bare minimum margin before this is considered a bad win?

I'd say if we get 60+ again like Southern then I'll be impressed. If we win by less than 3 tds then it's a bad sign.
I will be impressed as well because Grambling is better than Southern. They almost put up 60 on SU last year as well.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
Ruski wrote:More interesting to me than W/L and score predictions for this game, how many TDS do we need to win by for you to say WOW? Also what's the bare minimum margin before this is considered a bad win?

I will be impressed as well because Grambling is better than Southern. They almost put up 60 on SU last year as well.
This. A 3 TD margin of victory will remove all doubt.
Stroke
Ripple

You Guys Do Know that we beat Southern 52-30 with them getting a 3rd String Touchdown with 3 sec remaining in the Game. You guys whipped them in the worse display of football I ever seen 66-21, You guys had 8 passing Yards against those chumps and their Coaches never rotated the D linemen when you guys was clearly Running the ball up their Butt out of their Mouths.

We have more then Just the Best QB in La College Football, We also have Martez Carter (4), Darraus Flowers (28), Last Chance U LB, De Aruis Christmas (5), Derrick Dixion is also A guy that equals the playing Field. Not to mention, Local Warren Easton Product Darrel Clark.
I think this will be a good one to Watch. Tulane advantage is in the Trenches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Stroke wrote:You Guys Do Know that we beat Southern 52-30 with them getting a 3rd String Touchdown with 3 sec remaining in the Game. You guys whipped them in the worse display of football I ever seen 66-21, You guys had 8 passing Yards against those chumps and their Coaches never rotated the D linemen when you guys was clearly Running the ball up their Butt out of their Mouths.

We have more then Just the Best QB in La College Football, We also have Martez Carter (4), Darraus Flowers (28), Last Chance U LB, De Aruis Christmas (5), Derrick Dixion is also A guy that equals the playing Field. Not to mention, Local Warren Easton Product Darrel Clark.
Yes we do know and it's why most here have shown respect to Grambling. Can't wait to see your score prediction in the other thread.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Yeah most of us that care to know already know that Grambling should not be taken lightly. Personally, I wish that this game had been the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so that Grambling would have had to prepare for Tulane's offense over ~7 days instead of having a few weeks to prepare.
Stroke
Ripple

Stopping your Offense is going to be about discipline and Conditioning. The Advantage is that you guys have the 3rd and 2nd String to simulate our Offense but we diffidently dont have the personnel to replicate your offense at that Speed.
I would Rather week 2 or Week 3 because it gives our team time to Jell, Last Year we played well VS Arizona because we did have a warm up game to work out the kinks.
OUG
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah most of us that care to know already know that Grambling should not be taken lightly. Personally, I wish that this game had been the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so that Grambling would have had to prepare for Tulane's offense over ~7 days instead of having a few weeks to prepare.
If we beat Grambling 49-24, will you say that we whipped a solid team, or will you say -- "whatever it's Grambling?"

I suspect a lot of people who are building up Grambling this week will be doing the opposite later in the season. For me, you always respect any opponent, but you should expect Tulane to beat a Louisiana FCS team by 3Tds. If not, something's gone wrong with your expectations. If it's close, that's a problem for this team.
Stroke
Ripple

OUG wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah most of us that care to know already know that Grambling should not be taken lightly. Personally, I wish that this game had been the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so that Grambling would have had to prepare for Tulane's offense over ~7 days instead of having a few weeks to prepare.
If we beat Grambling 49-24, will you say that we whipped a solid team, or will you say -- "whatever it's Grambling?"

I suspect a lot of people who are building up Grambling this week will be doing the opposite later in the season. For me, you always respect any opponent, but you should expect Tulane to beat a Louisiana FCS team by 3Tds. If not, something's gone wrong with your expectations. If it's close, that's a problem for this team.
Honestly, I think we found a GEM in Kincade, Arizona beat us by 5 Touchdowns with out him. So We have A true 4 Star QB that is leading us, A guy that was part of a #1 Signing Class of Ole Miss. If he still at OLE MIss he would be starting. Chad Kelly Fizzled away at the end of the year for Ole Miss so he might have ended the year as the Starter
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If we beat Grambling by a FG, and Grambling goes on to the second or third round of the FCS playoffs, I'd say it's as good a win as Fritz has since he got here. I'm not sure that Grambling is a top 8 FCS team, but if they are, they could beat the bottom 30 of FBS. The top 4 or so FCS teams would whallop the bottom 30. Watch JMU take down ECU in Greenville this weekend.
Eaglewave
Swell

Stroke wrote:You Guys Do Know that we beat Southern 52-30 with them getting a 3rd String Touchdown with 3 sec remaining in the Game. You guys whipped them in the worse display of football I ever seen 66-21, You guys had 8 passing Yards against those chumps and their Coaches never rotated the D linemen when you guys was clearly Running the ball up their Butt out of their Mouths.

Keep dreaming of a FBS upset my North Louisiana buddy. Grambling is coming to New Orleans to get a reality check in FBS football. Yes you have talent, and a very good coach, but you don't have the scholarships or the depth chart to win. Arizona, (who I later found out was missing their starting QB and RB when they cut y'all a check), dominated the second half vs Grambling. Why? Because your SEC transfer went down and your depth chart isn't on a FBS level. You can join our huddle and fool the folks who don't pay attention to FCS football, but I am not one of them. Grambling is the best thing the SWAC has to offer, but nothing else outside of the conference. What's Grambling's record outside of the SWAC for the past 5 years? Be prepared to get beat convincingly. It's absurd for an American Athletic Conference program to show any respect for a SWAC program. I am just hoping we us this game to work on the passing game because running the ball vs Grambling would be too damn easy. I don't want Navy and Oklahoma to even have an idea about what we can do on the ground in the flex.

Where is that SLU kid around here who I had to run off?
Last edited by Eaglewave on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:If we beat Grambling by a FG, and Grambling goes on to the second or third round of the FCS playoffs, I'd say it's as good a win as Fritz has since he got here. I'm not sure that Grambling is a top 8 FCS team, but if they are, they could beat the bottom 30 of FBS. The top 4 or so FCS teams would whallop the bottom 30. Watch JMU take down ECU in Greenville this weekend.
The Bayou Classic prevents Grambling from going to the FCS playoffs. They can't miss out on the payday for their rivalry game vs Southern, and they would miss out on playing in that new bowl game that joined the ESPN Bowl line up.
Ball Sumrall!
Stroke
Ripple

Should be a Good Game, get the Popcorn and Angry wave Beer Ready. Wish it was the Only show in the City, but Hey.
alumniwave
Low Tide

This will be a close game. See Tulane win by 7. But late pull ahead. Get to .500 this season baby and the big Mo will help the program big time.
Wave QB
Swell

I am a fan of Broderick Fobbs at Grambling. That guy has been great. A 25-2 conference record is impressive anywhere. He is doing a very good job recruiting for GSU as well. The number of P5 FBS transfers are impressive as well. If Fritz doesn't work out for us, we might need to give him a shot.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fat Harry
Low Tide

It's not going to be close. Tulane always destroys SWAC competition, and this year will be no exception.