2017 Football Prediction Thread / Poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

WIN - LOSS PREDICTION (REGULAR SEASON)

12-0
No votes
11-1
No votes
10-2
No votes
9-3
No votes
8-4
No votes
7-5
14%
6-6
21%
5-7
50%
4-8
14%
3-9
No votes
2-10
No votes
1-11
No votes
0-12
No votes

Total votes: 14
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:Good coaching -> 6-6
Add a couple injuries and a half dozen unlucky ball bounces -> 3-9
An injury free team and more than our share of lucky breaks -> 8-4

I realize this is hedging my bets, but I think this team is at an inflection point.

For those of you looking for a little drama, consider this scenario: Along with great coaching, key players show astounding maturity and develop far beyond short-term expectations. (As an example, would it really surprise you if Banks improved game-by-game and lived up to his original four-star rating?) Imagine that Tulane finishes the year 10-2, losing only to Oklahoma and Houston. Shegog leads Panola HS to the MS state championship and honors his commitment with Tulane, stating that he wants to be coached by Fritz. Tulane continues to land one of the more solid recruiting classes in the last several years. On the coattails of this on-field and recruiting success, three SEC coaches lose their jobs. Positions open at Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. Don't you believe that Fritz would get a look? Don't you think his ambition would overcome any allure that Tulane might offer?
While I don't think the 10-2 scenario is at all likely, it's fun to play the what if game.

Clearly, if Fritz took THIS team to 10-2, he'd get some awards and consideration for a P5 job. But an AD would be taking a big risk on hiring a coach that runs this offense which isn't considered sexy in today's environment. And Fritz's age doesn't help him (I say that when I'm the same age myself!) Most P5's, particularly those that are typically doormats in their league, need a high scoring, pass the ball all over the gridiron attack to compete.

But if he were to get us to 10-2, he'd deserve any offer that came his way. I think we're a couple of years away from worrying. Hopefully, he'll grow to love New Orleans, and vise versa, and we'll be selling out and in position to offer him a considerable raise to have him finish his career here.

One thing that's clear, though: The longer he's here and recruiting to his system, the tougher the transition when he leaves if we go to a pro-style offense.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
sader24 wrote:6-6 Bowl Game, book it. No clue who we beat and lose to, but I think this staff can coach.
Same here. Well, some clue. We will beat Grambling and lose to Oklahoma. Other than that I have nothing. I don't think that wins over Cincy and Army are locks the way some here do.
Exactly. I'm surprised everyone expects to trounce ECU too.

They have some good talent coming in with transfers. We play them after they go to UCONN and before they play Cincy. The rest of their schedule is absolutely brutal! That could mean they're decimated by the time they get to us or they'll be toughened up to get one of their only "gimmes".

They took down a very good NCST team and should've won against USCe in his first year. I'm not super confidant about playing in Greenville.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

I realize this is hedging my bets, but I think this team is at an inflection point.

For those of you looking for a little drama, consider this scenario: Along with great coaching, key players show astounding maturity and develop far beyond short-term expectations. (As an example, would it really surprise you if Banks improved game-by-game and lived up to his original four-star rating?) Imagine that Tulane finishes the year 10-2, losing only to Oklahoma and Houston. Shegog leads Panola HS to the MS state championship and honors his commitment with Tulane, stating that he wants to be coached by Fritz. Tulane continues to land one of the more solid recruiting classes in the last several years. On the coattails of this on-field and recruiting success, three SEC coaches lose their jobs. Positions open at Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. Don't you believe that Fritz would get a look? Don't you think his ambition would overcome any allure that Tulane might offer?
While I don't think the 10-2 scenario is at all likely, it's fun to play the what if game.

Clearly, if Fritz took THIS team to 10-2, he'd get some awards and consideration for a P5 job. But an AD would be taking a big risk on hiring a coach that runs this offense which isn't considered sexy in today's environment. And Fritz's age doesn't help him (I say that when I'm the same age myself!) Most P5's, particularly those that are typically doormats in their league, need a high scoring, pass the ball all over the gridiron attack to compete.

But if he were to get us to 10-2, he'd deserve any offer that came his way. I think we're a couple of years away from worrying. Hopefully, he'll grow to love New Orleans, and vise versa, and we'll be selling out and in position to offer him a considerable raise to have him finish his career here.

One thing that's clear, though: The longer he's here and recruiting to his system, the tougher the transition when he leaves if we go to a pro-style offense.
I mostly agree w/D here. The concern is if one of those Kansas schools are looking. He's from there. They would be likely to overlook the age barrier. If he's that successful this year that others are looking and offering it will take deep pocketed donors to pony up the money. Selling out the small stadium doesn't make money. The big question is if those donors are out there.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I mostly agree w/D here. The concern is if one of those Kansas schools are looking. He's from there. They would be likely to overlook the age barrier. If he's that successful this year that others are looking and offering it will take deep pocketed donors to pony up the money. Selling out the small stadium doesn't make money. The big question is if those donors are out there.
I don't know how long some of you guys have been around. Let's not kid ourselves. 10 wins and we're searching for a new coach. No ifs ands or buts
Aberzombie1892
Swell

galvezwave wrote:I don't know how long some of you guys have been around. Let's not kid ourselves. 10 wins and we're searching for a new coach. No ifs ands or buts
8 total wins (including outcome bowl game) and we're searching for a new coach.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not kidding ourselves. Just taking into account the differences between Fritz and those others that left us. His age is a legit factor as is the style of offense. He'll get offers but won't get the caliber offers they did b/c of those reasons.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:I don't know how long some of you guys have been around. Let's not kid ourselves. 10 wins and we're searching for a new coach. No ifs ands or buts
The prudent Tulane AD should have a short list ready at all times .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
The prudent Tulane AD should have a short list ready at all times .
TD interviewed both Oklahoma State's OC Mike Yurcich and TCU's/Kansas' OC Doug Meacham for the head coaching job when he hired Fritz. If either of them are actually still interested in coaching for Tulane, they should be top 5 choices.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:Not kidding ourselves. Just taking into account the differences between Fritz and those others that left us. His age is a legit factor as is the style of offense. He'll get offers but won't get the caliber offers they did b/c of those reasons.
I'm gonna disagree win, 10 wins in year 2 from the CJ/Dickson s**t show, it won't matter if he's 90. Offensive philosophies, none of that would matter to a Colorado, Maryland, kansas state, Georgia tech, to name a few. Hell, notre dame is probably about to the point of thinking outside the box with the way they do things. Fritz could make himself really hot here. And hey, that means we're winning so I'll take it.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:Not kidding ourselves. Just taking into account the differences between Fritz and those others that left us. His age is a legit factor as is the style of offense. He'll get offers but won't get the caliber offers they did b/c of those reasons.
I'm gonna disagree win, 10 wins in year 2 from the CJ/Dickson s**t show, it won't matter if he's 90. Offensive philosophies, none of that would matter to a Colorado, Maryland, kansas state, Georgia tech, to name a few. Hell, notre dame is probably about to the point of thinking outside the box with the way they do things. Fritz could make himself really hot here. And hey, that means we're winning so I'll take it.
I think Fritz will only win with a more balanced offense, like he used at Sam Houston. Right now he is basically the same age as Ogeron. Him getting hired away would not be the worst problem we face.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
We actually don't disagree. I said he would get offers but not from the Ole Miss', Arkansas' and the like. Certainly not ND. Kansas St. yes as he's from there. He would take that in a heart beat. GT could make sense as it would be like when he took GSU over and they had run a similar system so had the type of players he needs. Problem is their fans hate their offense and wouldn't want anything similar. Hopefully we have to find out.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IF Fritz were to get hired away at the end of the season, at least we'd have one heck of a fun year along the way to that point. I don't think it's going to happen, but would certainly enjoy the ride. I don't think ND would consider Coach Fritz because they would have bigger profile coaches lining up and competing for that job. But ND alumni are FAR from happy with Brian Kelly, who throws his players under the bus and never takes the blame when they play poorly.

Less than 10 days until Grambling!

ROLL WAVE!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Galvez, I think you and Win are on the same page here in the sense that unless Fritz puts out an very successful offense with a lot of passing and without triple option concepts, high profile P5s won't want to hire him. That being said, he could still land a wide range of mid level and below P5 programs that have to think outside the box in order to consistently win 7-8+ games primarily due to talent gaps with the better teams in their conferences. Kansas specifically could be an issue given Fritz's ties - the potential for David Beaty getting fired at Kansas this year or next year and Fritz taking over there is something to keep an eye on.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime
Swell

I think we will be 7-6 with a bowl game victory.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:IF Fritz were to get hired away at the end of the season, at least we'd have one heck of a fun year along the way to that point. I don't think it's going to happen, but would certainly enjoy the ride. I don't think ND would consider Coach Fritz because they would have bigger profile coaches lining up and competing for that job. But ND alumni are FAR from happy with Brian Kelly, who throws his players under the bus and never takes the blame when they play poorly.

Less than 10 days until Grambling!

ROLL WAVE!
And, since WF will have been successful here in only 2 seasons and then off to a P5 program, we will have no problem finding a quality replacement because other quality coaches will find attractive and want the Tulane job. In the long run we will always be better off if hiring the "best man for the job" rather than a "warm body who will stay," like for our 2 most regrettable past hiring decisions of Scelfo > RichRod and Gibson > Lindy Infante.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Considering who was interested in the job when Fritz was hired, there was no need for Fritz to be successful for Tulane to be able to hire a quality candidate for its head coach.
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Considering who was interested in the job when Fritz was hired, there was no need for Fritz to be successful for Tulane to be able to hire a quality candidate for its head coach.
Unlike Cowen, Michael Fitts was willing to pay a Div. 1 salary. The more successful WF the more attractive the Tulane job for future coaching candidates.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Considering who was interested in the job when Fritz was hired, there was no need for Fritz to be successful for Tulane to be able to hire a quality candidate for its head coach.
Unlike Cowen, Michael Fitts was willing to pay a Div. 1 salary. The more successful WF the more attractive the Tulane job for future coaching candidates.
Should Coach Fritz and his staff become successful here the more attractive remaining here should be and it will be incumbent on Tulane to retain a successful Willie Fritz and his long time staffers. We should not be thinking about replacing coaches, we should be zealously doing the necessary to retain successful coaches.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Should Coach Fritz and his staff become successful here the more attractive remaining here should be and it will be incumbent on Tulane to retain a successful Willie Fritz and his long time staffers. We should not be thinking about replacing coaches, we should be zealously doing the necessary to retain successful coaches.
Point being, if WF does becomes successful like Larry Smith in 1979 or Tommy Bowden in 1998, and leaves we should no consider it to be the "end of the world" and instead just again hire the best man for the job rather than "somebody cheap who will stay" like Scelfo. If we run a good program, good coaches will always want the Tulane job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think a lot of up and coming coaches would avoid following Coach Fritz, (at Tulane) because he's been recruiting kids that will fit his system. It's unlikely a young up and coming coach would run a similar system. Frankly, I think the likelihood of the Wave having a season that would get Fritz hired by a P5 is limited by the fact that he's only had two recruiting classes and really only 1 that he recruited full time. We're still getting through players that were recruited to play a much different system, particularly on offense.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I think a lot of up and coming coaches would avoid following Coach Fritz, (at Tulane) because he's been recruiting kids that will fit his system. It's unlikely a young up and coming coach would run a similar system. Frankly, I think the likelihood of the Wave having a season that would get Fritz hired by a P5 is limited by the fact that he's only had two recruiting classes and really only 1 that he recruited full time. We're still getting through players that were recruited to play a much different system, particularly on offense.
Agreed that Fritz is unlikely to have a particularly memorial 2017 season in terms of wins, although that may not prevent a low end P5 AD from at least talking to him. Regardless of when or how Fritz leaves and how successful or unsuccessful he ends up being, whoever comes next at head coach would likely have to do at least a soft rebuild in order to convert the personnel to what the new coach wants to do. For example, Doug Meacham would bring a significant change on offense and implementing his offense would likely take two seasons - ditto with all of the offensive system variants from the Mike Leach tree (i.e. the Baylor offense that's currently at FAU, Tulsa, Syracuse, and likely USF).
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:I think a lot of up and coming coaches would avoid following Coach Fritz, (at Tulane) because he's been recruiting kids that will fit his system. It's unlikely a young up and coming coach would run a similar system. Frankly, I think the likelihood of the Wave having a season that would get Fritz hired by a P5 is limited by the fact that he's only had two recruiting classes and really only 1 that he recruited full time. We're still getting through players that were recruited to play a much different system, particularly on offense.
Last year we ran an option offense without the option. Let's hope for this year our offense will start to look more like the one WF ran at Georgia Southern. And yes, last year we did win only one conference game.
wave97
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Agreed that Fritz is unlikely to have a particularly memorial 2017 season in terms of wins, although that may not prevent a low end P5 AD from at least talking to him. Regardless of when or how Fritz leaves and how successful or unsuccessful he ends up being, whoever comes next at head coach would likely have to do at least a soft rebuild in order to convert the personnel to what the new coach wants to do. For example, Doug Meacham would bring a significant change on offense and implementing his offense would likely take two seasons - ditto with all of the offensive system variants from the Mike Leach tree (i.e. the Baylor offense that's currently at FAU, Tulsa, Syracuse, and likely USF).
If/when Coach Fritzs moves on we could hire Bob Davie away from New Mexico. Bob DeBesse is the OC at UNM, he used to be Willy Fritz' OC at Sam Houston. Smooth transition on offense and an upgrade on defensive coaching.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't think anyone coming in will be running a system that's all that different if we make the right type of hire of a spread option offensive minded coach. They'll just cut out the triple option aspect. If we hire a WCO offensive coach it'll be over for the program.