Basketball scheduling announced

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Each school will play 7 conference teams twice. As to the other 4 you get two at home and two on the road. We get Cincy and UCONN as our two that we play only once and at home:

http://theamerican.org/news/2017/6/7/MB ... 74608.aspx

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Interesting article on the scheduling by the AAC:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 88014.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox
Riptide

I can usually find information on a lot of our OCC opponents before the schedule is released. But this year I have found nothing other than the 2 officially announced- Fla State and UNC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Interesting article on the scheduling by the AAC:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 88014.html
Scheduling in the AAC matches seven schools picked to have similar success in two-game series in order to help power rankings (RPI) and create matchups for TV. Teams play a single game against the four remaining schools to minimize the effects of bad teams on the RPI.
No doubt about figuring out where we fall in terms of the good teams or bad teams in the conference w/r/t scheduling.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

So far:

Home: Cincinnati, UConn, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulsa

Road: UNC, FSU, UCF, Wichita State, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulsa

So we're looking at maybe 3/4 wins at home. Best case scenario 2/3 wins on the road? At best 7/8 wins out of 20?

It's gonna be real interesting to see what the rest of OOC looks like. Remember just a couple seasons ago the Ed Conroy/CUSA bball schedules?!
Ruski
Swell

DrBox wrote:I can usually find information on a lot of our OCC opponents before the schedule is released. But this year I have found nothing other than the 2 officially announced- Fla State and UNC.
Are we in any pre-season/mid-season tourneys this year?
Show Me
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:So far:

Home: Cincinnati, UConn, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulsa

Road: UNC, FSU, UCF, Wichita State, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulsa

So we're looking at maybe 3/4 wins at home. Best case scenario 2/3 wins on the road? At best 7/8 wins out of 20?

It's gonna be real interesting to see what the rest of OOC looks like. Remember just a couple seasons ago the Ed Conroy/CUSA bball schedules?!
I had forgot about how terrible we were last year. Only 6 wins in 31 try's. That was the worst record since the first year Perry brought the program back from the dead with 4 wins but that was understandable. Dunleavy has to win at least 12 games to show progress IMO. I wouldn't consider 8-10 wins progress because last year we should have won that many had the bench coaching been better.
Ruski
Swell

The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee is altering its definition of a quality win, placing greater emphasis on winning road games by changing the team sheets that include the results of every team being evaluated for selection and seeding for the men’s basketball championship. The group also committed to continue studying various metrics the committee has at its disposal to evaluate teams, with the likelihood of a new metric being in place for the 2018-19 season.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... uality-win
Show Me
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:
The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee is altering its definition of a quality win, placing greater emphasis on winning road games by changing the team sheets that include the results of every team being evaluated for selection and seeding for the men’s basketball championship. The group also committed to continue studying various metrics the committee has at its disposal to evaluate teams, with the likelihood of a new metric being in place for the 2018-19 season.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... uality-win
Will make it tougher for Tulane because now we won't get good money road games. The better teams will want to schedule road games with each other.
They are following the baseball model which did this a few seasons ago. You get more RPI value out of road wins.
Ruski
Swell

Playing Colorado State in addition to FSU.
In addition to hosting in-state rival Colorado, the Rams will play a neutral-court game against Florida State. The Seminoles went 26-9 last season and earned a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament but lost their top three scorers, Dwayne Bacon, Jonathan Isaac and Xavier Rathan-Mayes. The game against FSU will be played in Jamaica as part of a multi-team event that will also include a neutral-court matchup with Tulane and home games against Winthrop and Northwestern State.
http://www.reporterherald.com/sports/ci ... -state-non
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Here's the OOC schedule:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/8/ ... slate.aspx
The home schedule is pure garbage. Dropping UNO is embarrassing. Set up so Dunleavy can double his win total from last year. Not worth buying season tickets.
Ruski
Swell

So Ed Conroy schedule + 2 humiliating losses on national TV. Don't like it. AAC brethren will rightfully be upset.
anEngineer
Riptide

:?:
Show Me wrote:

The home schedule is pure garbage. Dropping UNO is embarrassing. Set up so Dunleavy can double his win total from last year. Not worth buying season tickets.
Is there EVER ANYTHING you like about Tulane Athletics... EVER?
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote::?:
Show Me wrote:

Bowden, Clark and Jones. Not much since.
I call it like it is. Pure Garbage.
Show Me a bowl, NCAA and a Regional then I'll like it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt it is disappointing and I'm surprised Aresco allowed this. He can't be happy though. I'm with those that are disappointed we dropped UNO. Should be playing twice a year again. That would be better than a lot of this trash.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Show Me wrote:

Since your measure of excellence in MBB is Clark and presumably his OOC home schedule, please identify which years of 1992, 1993 and 1995 that Clark made the NCAA that he had a home OOC schedule that met your standards to buy season tickets. Please be specific about how it was better. Also please let us know what years you had MBB season tickets to see a coach and OOC home schedule you approved of.

Since Metro home games nor AAC home games do not matter to you nor any road or neutral court games against any opponent, please do not include them in your evaluation of which home OOC schedule is and is not "pure garbage."

I simply want to know how different and better Tulane's home OOC scheduling was 25 years ago.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
Show Me
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Show Me wrote:

Since your measure of excellence in MBB is Clark and presumably his OOC home schedule, please identify which years of 1992, 1993 and 1995 that Clark made the NCAA that he had a home OOC schedule that met your standards to buy season tickets. Please be specific about how it was better. Also please let us know what years you had MBB season tickets to see a coach and OOC home schedule you approved of.

Since Metro home games nor AAC home games do not matter to you nor any road or neutral court games against any opponent, please do not include them in your evaluation of which home OOC schedule is and is not "pure garbage."

I simply want to know how different and better Tulane's home OOC scheduling was 25 years ago.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
You're actually comparing how to schedule coming off a basketball death sentence to today. Apples to Oranges. If you can't understand the difference I don't have the time needed to bring you up to speed. I was asked what I liked and I said I enjoyed the success those three coaches brought to Tulane. The home non conference schedule is garbage. The AAC is trying to upgrade the conference on a national level by scheduling better and we give them this. Our RPI will once again be a drag on the conference. If you want to attract the avg basketball fan from the Pelicans you do not schedule Alcorn St and the likes.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Heck, even the 1991-92 team had home OOC games against a Big Ten school and Temple, who was coached by John Chaney at the time. We don't even have that this year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Heck, even the 1991-92 team had home OOC games against a Big Ten school and Temple, who was coached by John Chaney at the time. We don't even have that this year.
Uh, last time I checked Tulane is playing both Temple and Memphis at home this season just like 1991-92. That's the point. It's the total schedule that matters home and away; OOC and AAC. I don't see much difference between Dunleavy's total schedule and Clark's. I have no idea what Tulane's record will be. I do know this: if by some chance it wins 20 games against this "pure garbage" schedule, it will be at minimum an NIT team because it will have beaten some decent teams on the road.

In short Tulane unlike with Conroy's scheduling does not have to at minimum win conference to go NCAA/NIT. Again no guess here on how many Tulane wins. I just know that if it does it will get adequate recognition with this schedule.

Finally let's have full disclosure about Northwestern as a "quality" OOC home game. It made the NCAA's last year for the first time in its history. 25 years ago though was part of its many decades long run as the worst team in the history of the Big Ten. Clark was playing quality BIg 10 teams on the road or in neutral sites not in Fogelman.
winwave
Top of the WAVE