2017 Football Prediction Thread / Poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

WIN - LOSS PREDICTION (REGULAR SEASON)

12-0
No votes
11-1
No votes
10-2
No votes
9-3
No votes
8-4
No votes
7-5
14%
6-6
21%
5-7
50%
4-8
14%
3-9
No votes
2-10
No votes
1-11
No votes
0-12
No votes

Total votes: 14
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I've noticed the excitement building in other threads so it's time to go with your predictions.
Improvements noted but schedule is more difficult.
Here's mine.
5-7
Wins:
Grambling
Army
FIU
Cincy
ECU
Losses:
Navy
OU
Tulsa
USF
Memphis
Houston
SMU

Swing game Navy. Beat them and we go bowling.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Interesting. It's so hard to predict given what the schedule looks like and the uncertainty on Tulane's offense, but, at the moment, I would go with:

Losses:
@Oklahoma
USF
@Memphis
Houston
Tulsa
Cincinnati (most recent August 2017 scrimmage had Trail at QB go 15/23 with 4TDs and 1INT)
@Navy
@SMU

Wins:
@ECU
Grambling
Army
@FIU

EDIT: Tulane may win one of Tulsa/Cincinnati/@Navy/@SMU to reach 5 wins, but it's impossible to tell which one at this point in time.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccap05
Surge

I predict a 7 win/5 loss season capped with a bowl victory at the prestigious Cure Bowl against the University of South Alabama. The Cure Bowl will be attended by 16,000 people, 8,500 of whom were provided free tickets by Disney. The Bowl will attract well over 21,728 viewers on TV. The highlight of the game will be a fight at the game between intoxicated fans of the two Universities at the Nacho stand arguing over which school will be first to successfully build an IPF. The fight, along with a comment by Michael Aresco, will be the only highlight carried by ESPN.

WINS:

Grambling
Navy (President Trump, at the game to show he is thinking about things other than impeachment, blames Obama for Navy's poor showing).
Army
FIU
Cincy (This may be a good preview for a future Big 12 Rivalry).
E Carolina
SMU (SMU announces the firing of their coach after this game).

LOSSES:

OK (This will be a squeaker- OK's offense, defense and special teams seems better right now than Tulane's so I give them the nod).
Tulsa
USF
Memphis
Houston

BOWL GAME: CURE BOWL vs. University of South Alabama. Final Score: Tulane 27/USA 21.
Last edited by ccap05 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Last year we were a couple of plays away from a 6 win season with the worst passing attack in college football. Fritz and his staff can coach. Banks will be a big improvement at QB and if he falters a healthy Brantley will be much improved over his freshman year.

Grambling Win by at least 3 TDs
Navy Loss another close game
Oklahoma Loss, they pull way in the third quarter
Army Win, convincing
Tulsa Win by upset
FIU Win, close
South Florida Loss, bad
Memphis, Loss, close
Cincinnati Win by 10
East Carolina Win ECU and UConn battle for AAC basement
Houston Loss in OT
SMU Win and yes they fire their coach.

7-5 and Bowl Game. Fritz gets new contract and stays with The Angry Wave.
IM42lane
Swell

5 - 7
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Ruski
Swell

Grambling Win by 3 TDS
@Navy Loss, could go either way but Annapolis is too intimidating for Banks
@Oklahoma Loss, leading in the 2nd quarter, fall apart in the 2nd half but enough to cover the spread
Army Win, convincing win and we start to get high hopes for this team
Tulsa Loss, and we're all pissed off til Wednesday
@FIU Win, closer than any of us expect
USF Loss, closer than any of the media expect
@Memphis Loss
Cincinnati Win
@ECU Loss, who's worse our Offense or their Defense? Tough stadium to play in I think this is our ugly hick-up loss
Houston Loss, too much talent on the field for Applewhite to mess up
@SMU Win, Fritz avenges last years limp dick meltdown, Morris is Diaco pt 2

End the season 5-7. A couple of very frustrating losses and a few games with 2-3 really close quarters against top-25 ranked teams but ultimately no bowl game. Offseason full of mixed emotions; feeling very close to a break through and yet somehow the same cursed Tulane of always.
Last edited by Ruski on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sader24
Tsunami

6-6 Bowl Game, book it. No clue who we beat and lose to, but I think this staff can coach.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

5-7
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

sader24 wrote:6-6 Bowl Game, book it. No clue who we beat and lose to, but I think this staff can coach.
I'm with Sader on this one, but I've been waffling back and forth these past couple of days. My biggest concerns are our O-line and ST kicking game, The kicking game in particular because if we are going to keep games close this year like we did last year, we need every friggin point we can get. 6-6, Dollar General Bowl in Birmingham. ROLL DAMN WAVE!
msdos
Swell

3-9
Show Me
Tsunami

4-8
Our 4 wins
Grambling, Army, FIU, Cincinnati.
Sure we're better but so is our schedule.
Tulane is going to have to Show Me they can win otherwise I'll remain skeptical.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think we're going to be significantly improved in year two of the Fritz regime. At the same time, I think the schedule might prevent us from getting to bowl eligibility, but I'll stick with my predicted 6 win finish (since none of us know) and will venture that the season plays out like this:

Grambling Win with a late TD
@Navy Win a tight game with both teams gaining lots of yards but not a lot of points
@ OU Ugly loss in payday game. Lay the points
Army late Army TD defeats the Wave (loss)
Tulsa Scores 30+ and the Wave cannot hang (loss)
@FIU Win a close, low scoring game
USF A much closer game than expected, but a loss
@Memphis Loss, after holding lead most of first half
Cincy Win by double digits
@ECU Only blow out win of the season; their coach fired at year end
Houston Our unexpected win of the year, UH fans call for Applewhite's head
@SMU Loss as SMU becomes bowl eligible.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: @ECU Only blow out win of the season; their coach fired at year end
If they fire Scottie, which may be unlikely since this is only year 2, I hope they try to bring back Ruffin as I believe that the ECU admin made a huge mistake when they fired him. However, given that Ruffin is currently the Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Tackles coach at Oklahoma as part of Lincoln Riley's admin, he may not even want to come back to ECU since his sights may be on a higher end G5 or P5 job.
galvezwave
Swell

5-7

I can find 5 teams that I think we're

better than. Can we beat all 5? We will beat someone we shouldn't (usf , uh?) Lose 1 we should win. (Cin, navy?) really hard for me to objectively get to 6-6.

I think this will be a vastly improved team, we will see growth and direction, but still sub .500. 5-7 unfortunately.

I believe we'll look good doing it. I think we'll contend for a conference championship in a year.
Bearwave
High Tide

5-7 maybe 6-6 if things go right. Key will be staying injury free in the first month. OU could be brutal, especially with them coming off a loss to tOSU.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:3-9
CTRL....ALT....DELETE.... !!!!.... MS, you may be correct, but i think 5 to 6 are possible...like sader, I think this will be very well coached team, but may not show up in the W column
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
CTRL....ALT....DELETE.... !!!!.... MS, you may be correct, but i think 5 to 6 are possible...like sader, I think this will be very well coached team, but may not show up in the W column
MS thinks fritz is a phony. He hasn't been shy about that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
He thinks anything to do with a Dannen hire is aweful.
Aegis
High Tide

6-6
Wins: Grambling, Navy, Army, FIU, ECU, SMU

Possible win: Tulsa
ajcalhoun
Swell

sader24 wrote:6-6 Bowl Game, book it. No clue who we beat and lose to, but I think this staff can coach.
Same here. Well, some clue. We will beat Grambling and lose to Oklahoma. Other than that I have nothing. I don't think that wins over Cincy and Army are locks the way some here do.
God Bless Everyone!
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Subtlety isn't exactly my strong suit
galvezwave
Swell

msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I ain't gonna bash a man for having an opinion. I hope dos is wrong, but predicting Tulane to go 3-9 ain't much of a stretch. Tulane is always 3-9.
greenphantom
Swell

8-4. The offense will be much better. Losses to Navy, OU, South Florida, Memphis
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
That's ok, forecasting isn't mine! I hope I'm closer to our win total than you are, though. And as others point out, predicting Tulane to go 3-9 is, historically correct more often than predicting 9-3.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Good coaching -> 6-6
Add a couple injuries and a half dozen unlucky ball bounces -> 3-9
An injury free team and more than our share of lucky breaks -> 8-4

I realize this is hedging my bets, but I think this team is at an inflection point.

For those of you looking for a little drama, consider this scenario: Along with great coaching, key players show astounding maturity and develop far beyond short-term expectations. (As an example, would it really surprise you if Banks improved game-by-game and lived up to his original four-star rating?) Imagine that Tulane finishes the year 10-2, losing only to Oklahoma and Houston. Shegog leads Panola HS to the MS state championship and honors his commitment with Tulane, stating that he wants to be coached by Fritz. Tulane continues to land one of the more solid recruiting classes in the last several years. On the coattails of this on-field and recruiting success, three SEC coaches lose their jobs. Positions open at Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. Don't you believe that Fritz would get a look? Don't you think his ambition would overcome any allure that Tulane might offer?