Angry Wave

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:We all want Tulane to start wining. The best way to win is to get good players. Facilities and branding matter in recruiting. The Angry Wave rocks to 99% of our fan base and the media locally and nationally love it.
I agree, but I don't think it's 99%. There are still those out there who like intimidating mascots for football.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I have followed Tulane athletics now for more than half a century and it is the one thing that our fan base has been in universal agreement about. You are in a very tiny minority that don't like it.
Never debated the majority not liking it, but not 99%. I have been following (and have been apart of) Tulane athletics long enough to know that more than 1% want something more intimidating.

So what if I am apart of the minority? Big deal. I just have to watch it being a thing again until something else comes along again. Hopefully, we can win games.
I stand by the 99%. Even the most ardent complainers that go to the games are excited that it's back. To get something more intimidating you'd have to change the nickname which isn't going to happen.
No way 99%! I do agree with the nickname statement.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's NO WAY 99 out of every 100 Tulane fans think the Angry Wave is the best mascot we could possibly have. There's no way in hell 99 out of 100 fans agree on ANYTHING. It's an exaggeration, and a blatantly over stated one at that. I'd be shocked if 80% of Tulane fans are crazy about the Angry Wave. Put 100, or better yet, 1000 Tulane fans in one room, and I bet you cannot get 990 of them to agree on anything.

I'll bet more than 30 out of 100 Tulane fans would rather see the classic interlocking TU on the helmet or mid field than the Angry Wave.

I'm not saying Tulane fans don't love the Angry Wave. I'm saying 99% is overblown.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Come on . You know you like it. :mrgreen:

BTW, the interlocking TU is not a mascot. That's what we a re talking about here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Come on . You know you like it. :mrgreen:

BTW, the interlocking TU is not a mascot. That's what we a re talking about here.
I do like it. Never said otherwise.

I just think those that draw a line in the sand sticking with 99% are loony tunes. 99 out of 100 people on any topic, including the sun rising in the East, just doesn't happen. Yes, we're talking about a mascot, but we're also talking about what's at midfield, on the helmets, on the basketball/volleyball court, baseball (and those worn on the sidelines of other sports) hats, etc.

What I really dislike is the Pelican. And the Tulane pelican was a NY Times crossword puzzle clue a few months ago.

Thank God it's 17 days until the Green Wave takes to the gridiron. We're getting nit-picky about finding things to argue here.

ROLL (ANGRY) WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad you're a 99%er. Not drawing a line in the sand. The MASCOT is just that popular w/our fan base. Like I said the fans that have gone to the games for years and years absolutely love it. It's been a great distraction from the losing. And we are only talking mascot here. Symbols can be used elsewhere but there's only one mascot. Love me some ANGRY WAVE. No doubt we need the season to start.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote:There's NO WAY 99 out of every 100 Tulane fans think the Angry Wave is the best mascot we could possibly have. There's no way in hell 99 out of 100 fans agree on ANYTHING. It's an exaggeration, and a blatantly over stated one at that. I'd be shocked if 80% of Tulane fans are crazy about the Angry Wave. Put 100, or better yet, 1000 Tulane fans in one room, and I bet you cannot get 990 of them to agree on anything.

I'll bet more than 30 out of 100 Tulane fans would rather see the classic interlocking TU on the helmet or mid field than the Angry Wave.

I'm not saying Tulane fans don't love the Angry Wave. I'm saying 99% is overblown.
Bingo! Keno!

99% is ridiculous, but we do have a crap load of wacky fans out there. As far as our helmets go, the interlock is the only thing that has worked for us in my eyes. I am not a fan of the block T as well.

Anyway, come on season! Please hurry up and get here!
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:
DfromCT wrote:There's NO WAY 99 out of every 100 Tulane fans think the Angry Wave is the best mascot we could possibly have. There's no way in hell 99 out of 100 fans agree on ANYTHING. It's an exaggeration, and a blatantly over stated one at that. I'd be shocked if 80% of Tulane fans are crazy about the Angry Wave. Put 100, or better yet, 1000 Tulane fans in one room, and I bet you cannot get 990 of them to agree on anything.

Bingo! Keno!

99% is ridiculous, but we do have a crap load of wacky fans out there. As far as our helmets go, the interlock is the only thing that has worked for us in my eyes. I am not a fan of the block T as well.

The 1979 uniforms were award winning and were my all time favorites for Tulane football. So, Hindman Wall got rid of them for the 1980 season after he hired Gibson over Lindy Infante, typical Tulane.
wave97
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Bingo! Keno!

The 1979 uniforms were award winning and were my all time favorites for Tulane football. So, Hindman Wall got rid of them for the 1980 season after he hired Gibson over Lindy Infante, typical Tulane.
+1 The "Auburn" style was my favorite.
In the 60's, 70's & early 80's the NCAA completely controlled who & where any team appeared on TV. Choosing to be an Independent wasn't considered an act of suicide, but a means of having more control over scheduling while keeping the tv appearance/bowl money within the program (Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, BC, WVU, South Carolina, GT, Miami, FSU, Louisville).
Dr. Rix Yard's decision to leave the SEC was rational for that era. Tulane reinstated Physical Edumacation while scheduling, Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford, Texas, Pitt, along with the SEC regional rivalries. It worked!
In hindsight, it is easy to say that the decision to leave the SEC was the worst decision ever for Tulane Athletics. It was (in hindsight). Having said that the second most terrible decision by a Tulane AD was the non-hire of Lindy Infante in December of 1979. That 1979 team could have beaten any team in the country. The 1980 Team was loaded with players from LA, TX, Fl and all over the country. Tulane would have continued the success of the Smith program for a few more critical years that led to the formation of the current P5.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Bingo! Keno!

In the 60's, 70's & early 80's the NCAA completely controlled who & where any team appeared on TV. Choosing to be an Independent wasn't considered an act of suicide, but a means of having more control over scheduling while keeping the tv appearance/bowl money within the program (Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, BC, WVU, South Carolina, GT, Miami, FSU, Louisville).
Dr. Rix Yard's decision to leave the SEC was rational for that era. Tulane reinstated Physical Edumacation while scheduling, Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford, Texas, Pitt, along with the SEC regional rivalries. It worked!
In hindsight, it is easy to say that the decision to leave the SEC was the worst decision ever for Tulane Athletics. It was (in hindsight). Having said that the second most terrible decision by a Tulane AD was the non-hire of Lindy Infante in December of 1979. That 1979 team could have beaten any team in the country. The 1980 Team was loaded with players from LA, TX, Fl and all over the country. Tulane would have continued the success of the Smith program for a few more critical years that led to the formation of the current P5.
Unfortunately Tulane had bad leadership. Always following during that period. They only left the SEC because Georgia Tech (an academic peer in their eyes) had left a year prior. Had Tech remained Tulane would had also. But the Angry Wave was Rix Yard's creation. So I credit him for that.
The crazy thing of it all was they left because they claimed they could no longer compete athletically because of strict academics. So the plan was go Indy and schedule down to win. However that failed for the most part give or take the first few years during the 1970's and the last year (1979) plus a few early years in the 80's.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
wave97 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Bingo! Keno!

Unfortunately Tulane had bad leadership. Always following during that period. They only left the SEC because Georgia Tech (an academic peer in their eyes) had left a year prior. Had Tech remained Tulane would had also. But the Angry Wave was Rix Yard's creation. So I credit him for that.
The crazy thing of it all was they left because they claimed they could no longer compete athletically because of strict academics. So the plan was go Indy and schedule down to win. However that failed for the most part give or take the first few years during the 1970's and the last year (1979) plus a few early years in the 80's.
South Carolina left the ACC to be an independent. Not sure why, but I don't think academics had much to do with it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 1332795392 Looks like they modified it a bit. AW looks darker and they did reposition the Devlin Fieldhouse name.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 1332795392 Looks like they modified it a bit. AW looks darker and they did reposition the Devlin Fieldhouse name.
Nice job! This came out better than the original proposal.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 1332795392 Looks like they modified it a bit. AW looks darker and they did reposition the Devlin Fieldhouse name.
LOSE THE DAMN MEGAPHONE....This is not cheer leading camp, or Texas A&M !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dannen said on the radio yesterday that it got damaged in a fire at Kern's studio so not sure when it will go up.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Dannen said on the radio yesterday that it got damaged in a fire at Kern's studio so not sure when it will go up.
Yea. I think that was already mentioned. I guess it's official now.
https://www.google.com/amp/wgno.com/201 ... world/amp/
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

The court does look better than I expected.

Please put me in the percentage of fans who aren't fond of Angry Wave. I can deal with it, put that damn megaphone needs to be thrown in the trash.
Ball Sumrall!
alumniwave
Low Tide

This is a smart choice by Tulane. No one in the nation could tell you what a Tulane mark looked like. Now I'm hearing about Angry Wave all over. Finally something that sticks and can be identified as Tulane!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

alumniwave wrote:This is a smart choice by Tulane. No one in the nation could tell you what a Tulane mark looked like. Now I'm hearing about Angry Wave all over. Finally something that sticks and can be identified as Tulane!
That's funny. I've had people comment on my crested T Tulane baseball hats in CT, NY, MA, VT, NH, and Cancun. Nobody has ever asked what the logo represented. Most ask if I went to Tulane or had a child attending. I've had 20something year old men tell me I was "rocking an awesome Tulane hat" on the golf course.

I know a lot of people don't like the Crested T; but it was a recognizable symbol of Tulane.
Ruski
Swell

court looks gooddddd!
AugWave
Swell

Love it.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

Have they installed the Angry Wave Statue that sprays water after scores?
wave97
Swell

Would the band appreciate being dowsed periodically by this contraption?
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:Would the band appreciate being dowsed periodically by this contraption?
If it means we scored, then yes.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It got damaged in a fire at Kern studios. So no idea when it will go up.