RIP Harold J Shelly

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Better known to all as Mr Harold he was a great friend of Tulane Athletics as a media volunteer. I grew up knowing Mr Harold as he was a good friend of my dad. As I got older I enjoyed having conversations about investing and the stock market. Mr Harold had quite a portfolio. He was a bachelor his entire life and did a lot of volunteer work in the community and donated anonymously. Unfortunately one of the saddest days of his life was when Tulane Athletics told him he was no longer needed as a volunteer. He was so upset he told me he took Tulane out of his will. Years later (2014) Tulane decided to make him an honorary Tulanian. He deserves to be in the Tulane Hall of Fame as a media person. (Billy Slatten award).
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... user-share

He's in the Sugar Bowl Hall of Fame
https://allstatesugarbowl.org/printable.php?pageID=845

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great story thanks for posting!
I would hope the Tulane HOF board would recognize Mr Harold with the William A. "Billy" Slatten Award at the next HOF selection committee meeting. There would be none more deserving than the late Mr. Shelly at this time. I've known Mr Harold since I was about 6-7 years old. My dad would sometimes drive him home after basketball games. He sure loved Tulane. Was a fixture at every event. Always volunteered his time. He will be missed.
Tulane Class of 1981
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Mr. Shelly was a great friend of my family. My dad worked next to him in the press box for years. (He was the defensive spotter) In the early 70's he asked my brother and I to help work the press box running stat sheets to the everyone in the press box after each quarter. We made 5.00 a game.
Mr. Shelly sponsored me to go the La. Boys State in '74. Kind of ironic because I was there learning about the government and the same week President Nixon was resigning.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

kookingkajun wrote:Mr. Shelly was a great friend of my family. My dad worked next to him in the press box for years. (He was the defensive spotter) In the early 70's he asked my brother and I to help work the press box running stat sheets to the everyone in the press box after each quarter. We made 5.00 a game.
Mr. Shelly sponsored me to go the La. Boys State in '74. Kind of ironic because I was there learning about the government and the same week President Nixon was resigning.
Great story!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Great story thanks for posting!
I would hope the Tulane HOF board would recognize Mr Harold with the William A. "Billy" Slatten Award at the next HOF selection committee meeting. There would be none more deserving than the late Mr. Shelly at this time. I've known Mr Harold since I was about 6-7 years old. My dad would sometimes drive him home after basketball games. He sure loved Tulane. Was a fixture at every event. Always volunteered his time. He will be missed.
TPS...U will have that opportunity tonite on Brockenbraugh CT in scenic, historic, Ole Metry !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
kookingkajun
Low Tide

TPS- Did you by any chance go to his funeral. If you knew Harold like I knew him you'd understand this and not think it's cruel.. I was talking to Joe S. at the funeral and I said Joe, I've been at the funeral for 30 minutes and it's the longest I've ever been in a room with Mr. Shelly and I haven't heard him utter a word.
Joe told us of the story that Harold called him and all he had was a battery operated phone and the batteries died while talking. Joe had to down the block to plug it in and when he did, Mr. Shelly was still talking to him.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

kookingkajun wrote:TPS- Did you by any chance go to his funeral. If you knew Harold like I knew him you'd understand this and not think it's cruel.. I was talking to Joe S. at the funeral and I said Joe, I've been at the funeral for 30 minutes and it's the longest I've ever been in a room with Mr. Shelly and I haven't heard him utter a word.
Joe told us of the story that Harold called him and all he had was a battery operated phone and the batteries died while talking. Joe had to go down the block to plug it in and when he did, Mr. Shelly was still talking to him.
Yes I did go. I briefly spoke to Joe and Tyler. Saw Lenny V and Pete Barrouque. Also ran into my former Jesuit coach Frank Misuraca. That's a funny story on Mr Harold. A few years ago I picked up Mr Harold and took him to his Greater NO Sugar Bowl HOF induction. He prepared so much that he froze up when trying to thank everyone and couldn't talk. Now that was something to see. I tried to find the video online but since Sportsnola went down I guess their archives went down with them.
Tulane Class of 1981