Basketball Travels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nowave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
nowave wrote:looks like troy left northern iowa in a bit of a financial mess when he left and thats with funding from the school and student body. with trips like this looks like tulane will be the next school he sinks

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... 455659001/
What a troll post. You are NO Wave. He didn't leave them in a financial mess, his department ran a deficit the year he left that was roughly 2%, after a similar surplus the previous year. And by the way, Tulane is spelled with a capital T.
maybe i dont properly capitalize words because i post from my phone but at least i know how to read. yes they operated in a surplus the previous year but even with over $5 million in assistance from student fees and the university they lost money his final year. id be willing to bet he overspent because he knew he would get another opportunity elsewhere and not have to clean up the mess - the same thing he will do here. when he bolts who is going to play janitor?
That little arrow pointing up in the lower left hand corner of your qwerty keyboard (which is what smartphones use) will give you capital letters. I still think you're a troll. You only come here to drop bombs and hope we get upset about them.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nowave
Ripple

DfromCT wrote:
nowave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
nowave wrote:looks like troy left northern iowa in a bit of a financial mess when he left and thats with funding from the school and student body. with trips like this looks like tulane will be the next school he sinks

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... 455659001/
What a troll post. You are NO Wave. He didn't leave them in a financial mess, his department ran a deficit the year he left that was roughly 2%, after a similar surplus the previous year. And by the way, Tulane is spelled with a capital T.
maybe i dont properly capitalize words because i post from my phone but at least i know how to read. yes they operated in a surplus the previous year but even with over $5 million in assistance from student fees and the university they lost money his final year. id be willing to bet he overspent because he knew he would get another opportunity elsewhere and not have to clean up the mess - the same thing he will do here. when he bolts who is going to play janitor?
That little arrow pointing up in the lower left hand corner of your qwerty keyboard (which is what smartphones use) will give you capital letters. I still think you're a troll. You only come here to drop bombs and hope we get upset about them.
gee thanks steve jobs. i never knew what that arrow was for. appreciate the smartphone lesson.

i can promise you that it is not my intention to make people upset on here. I want tulane to succeed as much as the next person. but i dont see it happening under dannen. dont like his ego and i dont particularly think he has a great track record.

ill eat crow if things get better but i will also be the first to say i told you so when the wheels fall off.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nowave wrote:
ill eat crow if things get better but i will also be the first to say i told you so when the wheels fall off.
Good for you.

I'll be the first to offer congrats if you're right. But I'll also be the first to tell you how wrong you were if Dannen gets the Athletics Department in order. My guess is that if that happens, you'll be nowhere to be found.

Turning around Tulane Athletics is a tall task, no doubt. And there are decisions that he has made that are questionable. I thought we put the ego thing to rest a few months ago, by those that have met him and got to know him contradicting those (mostly AC supporters whom feel snakebit) that claim he's all ego. But I still think he's an TREMENDOUS upgrade over Rick Dickson. His job is NOT to make all the alumni and fan base happy. His job is to change a culture that accepted less than mediocrity and push through barriers that have been built over 60+ years. He's going to piss some people off along the way. Frankly, I'd take a football team that wins 8+ games regularly (and we're far from there) over a baseball team that makes the NCAA tournament every year and gets lucky with a transfer or two to go to the CWS. Baseball is not a revenue or "front porch" sport, even in the deep South. Less than 5% of D1 baseball programs turn a profit, and less than 1% of sports fans in the country give a rats ass about NCAA baseball. It just isn't a big deal. I'd MUCH rather watch an FCS football playoff game over a 4 hour CWS game, and few, if anyone I know could tell you who won the CWS this year. It may be important to a few hundred or maybe even 1000 Tulane fans, but few in the country care.

And if he fails, he's not going to use Tulane as a stepping stone, he's going to go back to a lower level job.

Is it too hard to hit the button to make a capital T? If it is, you might try voice to text, which works pretty well on android and ios devices.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We're not the only local team traveling this summer:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 2fc9f.html
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:As per twitter it appears that the basketball team will be in a summer tourney overseas. The announcement will be tomorrow.
I guess Ray Ona Embo won't be with them, as he's playing on France's U20 team all summer leading up to the European Championships. But it will be great for the team to bond, and learn about other cultures and styles of play. Not to mention, it's a great recruiting tool. Imagine the players that have never been overseas talking to recruits about their first experiences. I'm sure the possibility of a pro career overseas for those not blessed with NBA talent may come up as well (though most recruits think they're NBA bound!)
I believe his team finished a couple of weeks ago so he should be there.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
waveprof
Ripple

winwave wrote:We're not the only local team traveling this summer:

Nicholls in the Bahamas too
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Well earned vacation for a 6-25 team. :roll:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Just saw a piece on the local tv news channel about the Fairfield University Stags about to embark on a 10 day, four game trip to Italy. The Stags, whom play off campus at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport (about 15 minutes away if traffic isn't too bad) make the tournament every so often out of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Association. Their coach sited the "need to have the older veteran players bond and mesh with the new players." The 10 additional practices allowed by the NCAA prior to the trip are going to help, too. Funny how certain posters denied that there's any bonding on these trips, yet the coaches and players from various levels of play all point to the team building aspects as one of the benefits.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and while they bond.... Tulane will be using bondo to create a new floor for Devlin

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGzIhFjV0AAm6Yo.jpg
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:and why they bond.... Tulane will be using bondo to create a new floor for Devlin

Love it. Only complaint is the Devin Fieldhouse layered on top of Angry. Would've rather they used the blank space on the court or the end lines, looks a little cluttered in my opinion.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:and why they bond.... Tulane will be using bondo to create a new floor for Devlin

Love it. Only complaint is the Devin Fieldhouse layered on top of Angry. Would've rather they used the blank space on the court or the end lines, looks a little cluttered in my opinion.
two places for the "Devlin" name...on the green out of bounds sideline marker one on each side Roll Wave at One End and Devlin at the other on the opposite side facing the Devlin name you have Tulane and at the other end facing Roll Wave you have Devlin ...or inside the free throw lines at each end, facing the free throw shooter...I am sure there is a computer engineering grad that can do these graphics and send to TD or hand them to him at his home on Thursday
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave
Swell

waveprof wrote:
winwave wrote:We're not the only local team traveling this summer:

Nicholls in the Bahamas too
Southern is too.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:Wave beats Madrid Select 78-69:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/8/ ... log-4.aspx
Congrats to the Wave. Some traditions remain namely ice cream.......
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Noticed that. 8-)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They should feel like they're playing home games in front of all those empty seats!
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:They should feel like they're playing home games in front of all those empty seats!
Agreed.
Ball Sumrall!
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:They should feel like they're playing home games in front of all those empty seats!
The opposition looks like a bunch old men you'd likely see at the YMCA gym.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
I thought most of these European teams had a certain number of quality US players. Not all of them are D1 quality, but the few US players would be leaders on their teams here. Guys like Paul Thompson, whom never really had a shot at the NBA but were very good D1 players end up playing abroad. But most of these teams limit the "ringers" from the US to 3 or 4 players.

There are stories of some pretty damned good "name" programs going to Europe for 4 games and not coming home with a win. It's a crapshoot, for sure. Those good programs need not take the extra practices and games seriously. We must.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:
I thought most of these European teams had a certain number of quality US players. Not all of them are D1 quality, but the few US players would be leaders on their teams here. Guys like Paul Thompson, whom never really had a shot at the NBA but were very good D1 players end up playing abroad. But most of these teams limit the "ringers" from the US to 3 or 4 players.

There are stories of some pretty damned good "name" programs going to Europe for 4 games and not coming home with a win. It's a crapshoot, for sure. Those good programs need not take the extra practices and games seriously. We must.

Well except we're playing dog shit teams. The pictures posted from the games look like something you might see at Reily.

After some digging I found that the first team we played against, Club Baloncesto Alcobendas , is in the Spanish 4th division (amateur). And we beat them by 1 point..

I can't find any team that goes by Madrid Select. I would guess it's probably Real Madrid's B team, who also plays in 4th division. Or just as likely given the ragtag uniforms they had, literally a pickup team put together by one of the tour's organizers.

I'm taking these games with a heavy grain of salt.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Wave beat Barcelona Select 87-65:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/8/ ... log-7.aspx
lurker123
Swell

Ruski wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:

Well except we're playing dog sh*t teams. The pictures posted from the games look like something you might see at Reily.

After some digging I found that the first team we played against, Club Baloncesto Alcobendas , is in the Spanish 4th division (amateur). And we beat them by 1 point..

I can't find any team that goes by Madrid Select. I would guess it's probably Real Madrid's B team, who also plays in 4th division. Or just as likely given the ragtag uniforms they had, literally a pickup team put together by one of the tour's organizers.

I'm taking these games with a heavy grain of salt.
Yes I know winning anything against anybody disrupts the eternal pity party which some around here prefer. Just curious: do you also think as was expressed here earlier that barnstorming overseas is a cake walk and, to use the stale language of politics, is in effect "a prepaid vacation for free loaders?" Man look at all that sightseeing memorialized in the "official" trip blogs.

Since you're coming to port here on your barge of salt, are you getting season tickets so you have the chance to feel miserable say 18 times or so this season in person? As you imply, these are exhibition wins against cans of corn so not much to worry about for the upcoming season other then do I take the under on Tulane winning six games again? Man UNO is tough and WSU is now in AAC, I just don't know. Man I bet ESPN even kicks us off ESPN3, conference contract be damned.......