GSU NCAA SANCTIONS

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
ccap05
Surge

GSU looks like it is taking responsibility for NCAA violations and working to ensure that no repeats occur. This is a more responsible, proactive approach than was demonstrated by UL-Laf and certainly more responsible than is being shown by Ole Miss. The GSU violations look less serious than those committed by Laffy or Ole Miss but I suspect the initial willingness to admit fault (where fault is clear) may have lessened the penalties.

http://www.gsutigers.com/news/2017/7/28 ... pline.aspx

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I read the headline and immediately thought that Georgia Southern was in trouble and that perhaps Fritz's regime had left behind a mess. GLAD TO KNOW THAT'S NOT THE CASE!

This GSU team returns some playmakers from a team that's more than two years removed from it's last SWAC loss. They have their #1 QB, (an Ole Miss transfer) and their top RB returning. They lost their top 3 WR's, and 3 of their 5 starting OL's. They suffered similar losses on the D side of the ball, but their D was downright nasty, averaging over 9 tackles for losses per game last year.

This will not be an easy game. I do think Tulane wins, but we can't play like crap and expect to do so.

As far as the violations and sanctions go, it's mostly non-revenue sports, and goes back across multiple administrations, presidents and coaches. Yes, the football team was affected, but really the internal and NCAA investigations didn't focus on football.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:GSU looks like it is taking responsibility for NCAA violations and working to ensure that no repeats occur. This is a more responsible, proactive approach than was demonstrated by UL-Laf and certainly more responsible than is being shown by Ole Miss. The GSU violations look less serious than those committed by Laffy or Ole Miss but I suspect the initial willingness to admit fault (where fault is clear) may have lessened the penalties.

IIRC, the NCAA commended our university president and athletic department for cooperating fully and transparently with their investigation of our program. I believe they also took the extrordinary step of recommending that other programs under investigation follow our lead, basically using our actions as a template for their own responses.

That doesn't seem to square with your comments above, though I guess that shouldn't surprise me since it's obvious to all that you're blinded by hate of all things Cajun.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:GSU looks like it is taking responsibility for NCAA violations and working to ensure that no repeats occur. This is a more responsible, proactive approach than was demonstrated by UL-Laf and certainly more responsible than is being shown by Ole Miss. The GSU violations look less serious than those committed by Laffy or Ole Miss but I suspect the initial willingness to admit fault (where fault is clear) may have lessened the penalties.

IIRC, the NCAA commended our university president and athletic department for cooperating fully and transparently with their investigation of our program. I believe they also took the extrordinary step of recommending that other programs under investigation follow our lead, basically using our actions as a template for their own responses.

That doesn't seem to square with your comments above, though I guess that shouldn't surprise me since it's obvious to all that you're blinded by hate of all things Cajun.
Please do not confuse my disdain for the Laffy trolls with a "hate of all things Cajun". I support the University of Louisiana system. I appreciate that the various branches of the University of Louisiana provide valuable education opportunities to students in various locales throughout Louisiana. You must be aware that my opinion regarding the UL-Laf trolls is pretty generally shared on this and other athletic sites where UL-L trolls have likewise practiced their unique (and irritating) style of "branding". As a factual matter, the sanctions imposed on UL-L were based on two things- 1) A football coach arranged fraudulent entrance exams for potential football players and 2) The coach denied involvement and failed to cooperate in the investigation. The NCAA findings were clear that at least some of the UL-L staff failed to cooperate in the investigation and this gave rise to the sanctions. This is hardly the "cooperating fully" picture that you painted in your post.
cajunfanatico
Swell

You're certainly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. The NCAA report did not find that "some" on the Cajun staff were not cooperative with their investigation. They found that a single individual, the one responsible for the violations was not cooperative and he was fired from the staff. I stand by my original claims as I took the time to read the report. I suggest you do the same before putting your foot in your mouth again.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:You're certainly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. The NCAA report did not find that "some" on the Cajun staff were not cooperative with their investigation. They found that a single individual, the one responsible for the violations was not cooperative and he was fired from the staff. I stand by my original claims as I took the time to read the report. I suggest you do the same before putting your foot in your mouth again.
I have no interest in reading the report; newspaper summaries satisfied my rather limited level of interest in the details of the UL-Laf cheating scandal. For the person not truly interested in the nuances of UL-L football infractions I suggest that the difference between one of UL-L's coaches not cooperating and two of them not cooperating is basically meaningless semantics. The NCAA Penalty was imposed for the cheating and the failure to cooperate. If wish to parse the sentences making up the report, discuss how unfair it is that ULL never gets any understanding, and generally congratulate UL-L on the fact that the NCAA findings giving rise to the sanctions shows what a great program UL-L is running, I suggest you migrate the conversation to a board dealing with Laffy athletics.
cajunfanatico
Swell

You mean these parsed sentences? :

"After considering all information relevant to the case, the panel determined that the number and the nature of the mitigating factors outweighed the aggravating with regard to the institution. The panel commends the institution for its level of cooperation in this case. It expended substantial institutional resources to expedite a thorough and fair collection and disclosure of information in this case and the institution's president and athletic compliance director both personally invested substantial time and attention to the details of the case. In short, the institution's exemplary cooperation in this case was a model for the kind of relationship and cooperation member institutions should strive for in the infractions process."

Now, I suspect anyone who reads those words versus your comments in this thread can figure out which of us is full of crap.
Eaglewave
Swell

They actually handled things pretty well. I heard that they won lose their conference championship from 2011 as well. Good for the Louisiana FCS program.
Ball Sumrall!