Ole Miss Hugh Freeze Resigns..

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I agree with Win and D in regard to Fritz's performance, but Fritz is still a "safe" hire in the sense that if he is hired and it doesn't work out, the AD can point at Fritz's long resume and historical success as the reason why the failure of the hire isn't the fault of the AD.

Don't misunderstand, no AD of a high end P5 would want Fritz given what happened in 2016 and given his choice of offense over the last few years, but he would be a reasonable hire for a lower end P5 program or a P5 program under the threat of NCAA sanctions.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I have the perfect hire for Ole Miss......... Art Briles !!!!!...except for the baggage, he IS perfect for the O players they have
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- I really like Aresco and everything he's trying to accomplish for the conference but he needs to get us better Bowl affiliations. In CUSA the champ went to the Liberty Bowl. We don't have anything close to that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:I have the perfect hire for Ole Miss......... Art Briles !!!!!...except for the baggage, he IS perfect for the O players they have
Lane Kiffin a lock.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:D- I really like Aresco and everything he's trying to accomplish for the conference but he needs to get us better Bowl affiliations. In CUSA the champ went to the Liberty Bowl. We don't have anything close to that.
That was true prior to 2014, but, since that time, the Liberty bowl is SEC vs Big 12.

The long and the short of it is that P5s don't want to play G5s that they could possibly lose to, so the AAC is burdened with a lot of bowl matchups against most of the best G5s.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right. It has changed but till then it had a good Bowl for the champ to go to. The AAC needs to start winning games against the good P5 teams in order to have the leverage to get that back. The current Bowls are small time and yet our teams still do poorly in them. That has to change ASAP.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I have the perfect hire for Ole Miss......... Art Briles !!!!!...except for the baggage, he IS perfect for the O players they have
Lane Kiffin a lock.
I am not sure Kiffin is a lock for anything...he has never really won big, anywhere he has been....without "daddy's last name' he would be ???

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... biJ_dXv1pA
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd be shocked if Ole Miss hires a coach other than the interim HC before the end of the season. The timing just doesn't work. And if it were a coach that's currently a Head Coach, any HC that would leave his team at this date isn't worthy.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

who knows...Ole Miss may follow in Legendary Joey Alleva's playbook and hire the interim on a full time basis

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/ ... -matt-luke
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

The view from Memphis obliterated Hugh Freeze...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s ... 498351001/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:The view from Memphis obliterated Hugh Freeze...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s ... 498351001/
one hell of a hit from the "Blind Side' !!!!
Eaglewave
Swell

Wouln't mind Freeze calling the shots here if WF can't get it done.
Ball Sumrall!
pansdad
Ripple

You have got to be kidding Eaglewave. Freeze is now, as his name implies, frozen out of NCAA high level coaching. Why would you want such a person at Tulane? His record at Ole Miss was not all that great anyway.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

pansdad wrote:You have got to be kidding Eaglewave. Freeze is now, as his name implies, frozen out of NCAA high level coaching. Why would you want such a person at Tulane? His record at Ole Miss was not all that great anyway.
If not for an influential ex basketball playing booster and ex cheerleader, I am not sure he would have gotten the job ! But if Ole Miss follows their standard operating manual, the next coach will be from Cent Arkansas !!
Eaglewave
Swell

pansdad wrote:You have got to be kidding Eaglewave. Freeze is now, as his name implies, frozen out of NCAA high level coaching. Why would you want such a person at Tulane? His record at Ole Miss was not all that great anyway.
Freeze was wrapped in the mighty SEC and had some great wins there. He isn't a bad coach by any means, and he can recruit. There are plenty of coaches who have done stupid things and got a second chance. I became a big fan of him when I saw his ability to recruit the talent he brought to Arkansas State. He was able to bring in some very impressive kids to the Sun Belt program surrounded by Big 12 and SEC stomping grounds. I believe in giving good coaches second chances. I was vouching for Mike Haywood over CJ when we hired him. I still believe that he would have brought us to at least 3 bowl games by now.

I wanted WF here and got him. But if it doesn't work, I will beg for us to call on Freeze if no one gets him by then.
Ball Sumrall!
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:I'd be shocked if Ole Miss hires a coach other than the interim HC before the end of the season. The timing just doesn't work. And if it were a coach that's currently a Head Coach, any HC that would leave his team at this date isn't worthy.
It's strictly a rumor, you understand, but I have a friend whose brother-in-law knows someone very well that just saw Les Miles packing and heading to Oxford.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I'd be shocked if Ole Miss hires a coach other than the interim HC before the end of the season. The timing just doesn't work. And if it were a coach that's currently a Head Coach, any HC that would leave his team at this date isn't worthy.
It's strictly a rumor, you understand, but I have a friend whose brother-in-law knows someone very well that just saw Les Miles packing and heading to Oxford.

a modern take on "The Grapes of Wrath'
Wave QB
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:

Lol!!!!!
pansdad
Ripple

Eagle, I wonder how much his recruiting was helped by his calls to the young ladies? Not trying to start an argument about Freeze. I agree that he is a good (but not great) coach.
Eaglewave
Swell

pansdad wrote:Eagle, I wonder how much his recruiting was helped by his calls to the young ladies? Not trying to start an argument about Freeze. I agree that he is a good (but not great) coach.
We will never know, but I am sure his recruiting was more fierce at Ole Miss vs the SEC over reign at Arkansas State vs the SBC.
Ball Sumrall!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

pansdad wrote:Eagle, I wonder how much his recruiting was helped by his calls to the young ladies? Not trying to start an argument about Freeze. I agree that he is a good (but not great) coach.
Perhaps I am naive, but I will never understand how a recruit would choose a school on the basis that the school bought them a hooker. Like some recruit was leaning on spending the next 3-4 years at A&M but ultimately chose Georgia cause of that sexy hooker he slept with in Athens. IDK.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Perhaps I am naive, but I will never understand how a recruit would choose a school on the basis that the school bought them a hooker. Like some recruit was leaning on spending the next 3-4 years at A&M but ultimately chose Georgia cause of that sexy hooker he slept with in Athens. IDK.
I certainly don't agree with that tactic because its immoral, against the rules, and illegal; but it can make a difference if either (1) the athlete is trying to decide between to two programs that they feel roughly the same about or (2) the athlete is impressionable due to youth. Besides being an illegal act that involves a third party, it's not that different from giving the athlete actual money.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think if the athlete doesn't know he's sleeping with a hooker and thinks "gee at this school I'm going to have a four or five year F^#k Fest" that would persuade MANY 18 year old kids.

I got a kick out of the picture GreenLantern posted. Reminded me of the Clampett family, which Les Miles may be related to! :)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V