Early Signing

Talk about the latest recruits here.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Not convinced we'll see Tulane baseball back to the level we Used to enjoy. Many factors. AC will probably end up thanking Dannon for the no hire.
I agree, though I think it has a lot less to do with JUCO credits transferring and other admissions/credits issues than it does the cost of a Tulane education, other scholarship money available (see the thread about 11.7 scholarships, let's not re-hash all that!) and the change in NCAA rules requiring transfers to sit a year. Remember, our best team ever was lead by a transfer from GaTech that was (IMHO) by far the best player on the team and possibly ever to suit up in a Tulane baseball uniform. Under today's rules, Micah Owings probably doesn't consider coming to Tulane. Without him that team was a good team, but far from a #1 seed. That team probably wouldn't have made it to the CWS without him.

Agreed. Also past admins kept baseball on the front burner. It became our flagship sport , which is a waste (sort of)financially. It just pulled so much clout. I think we're now seeing a shift to fix the sports that REALLY matter (not saying baseball doesn't) and I think baseball will suffer with less attention. And that's probably the correct thing even though it sticks in the craw of some of the old school guys. On top of all the things we talked about over and over on what is hurting Tulane baseball. I think we'll still make runs here and there , but sustained success is over. And was pretty much done before jones left. Me? I would sacrifice baseball for a consistent top 20 football team any day of the week.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote:I think I got it now....the recruit was accepted with 74 credits. That was not acceptable to the recruit. The recruit wanted 78 credits accepted. So he will be accepting an offer somewhere else. End of story. thank you.
He needed 78 hours to be eligible to play baseball per the NCAA. 74 hours that were accepted by Tulane left him 4 short of being eligible to play.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So he couldn't take 1 course over the summer to become eligible? The (football) player I know that just graduated from Marist (FCS) took 3 classes to get 12 credit hours last summer and suited up game 1. He had same problem: got accepted, but when transcript came through Marist didn't accept 12 credit hours that they previously told him they would accept. Nobody was happy, but they got it done.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
McWave
High Tide

"He needed 78 hours to be eligible to play baseball per the NCAA. 74 hours that were accepted by Tulane left him 4 short of being eligible to play."

Pardon my ignorance and thank you for the clarification. Now that that sucks! :beathead:

Complete administrative incompetence.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:So he couldn't take 1 course over the summer to become eligible? The (football) player I know that just graduated from Marist (FCS) took 3 classes to get 12 credit hours last summer and suited up game 1. He had same problem: got accepted, but when transcript came through Marist didn't accept 12 credit hours that they previously told him they would accept. Nobody was happy, but they got it done.
Yes summer school would have saved him. But the problem was that he wasn't advised to do so and the review of his credits wasn't timely. Rick Jones learned he would have to take the paperwork and immediately sit with each dean/professor and see what was accepted. The problem was getting an appointment with each professor and making them review the courses. I'm sure coach Jewett wasn't aware of how it currently needs to be done at Tulane. Had he done this review a few months ago he would have told the student take one more course over the Summer to be eligible to play. Like I said this stuff doesn't happen at Vandy. You drop it on an administrative desk and it's taken care of soon after.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:So he couldn't take 1 course over the summer to become eligible? The (football) player I know that just graduated from Marist (FCS) took 3 classes to get 12 credit hours last summer and suited up game 1. He had same problem: got accepted, but when transcript came through Marist didn't accept 12 credit hours that they previously told him they would accept. Nobody was happy, but they got it done.
Yes summer school would have saved him. But the problem was that he wasn't advised to do so and the review of his credits wasn't timely. Rick Jones learned he would have to take the paperwork and immediately sit with each dean/professor and see what was accepted. The problem was getting an appointment with each professor and making them review the courses. I'm sure coach Jewett wasn't aware of how it currently needs to be done at Tulane. Had he done this review a few months ago he would have told the student take one more course over the Summer to be eligible to play. Like I said this stuff doesn't happen at Vandy. You drop it on an administrative desk and it's taken care of soon after.
Congratulations to Sophomore SS @braedonbarrett on his commitment to @GreenWaveBSB #EaglesLeavingTheNest
https://twitter.com/hindsccsports/statu ... 3366287360

Braedon signed his NLI on 11/29/16
For 7 months no one looked into his credits?
The 4 hours credit that was not accepted was a class he took at Northwestern St school year 2015/2016

Someone asleep at the wheel
Last edited by chain gang x man on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Congratulations to Sophomore SS @braedonbarrett on his commitment to @GreenWaveBSB #EaglesLeavingTheNest

Braedon signed his NLI on 11/29/16
For 7 months no one looked into his credits?
The 4 hours credit that was not accepted was a class he took at Northwestern St school year 2015/2016

Someone asleep at the wheel
For sure. :oops:
That's only one. I'm sure there are others.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Not convinced we'll see Tulane baseball back to the level we Used to enjoy. Many factors. AC will probably end up thanking Dannon for the no hire.
I agree, though I think it has a lot less to do with JUCO credits transferring and other admissions/credits issues than it does the cost of a Tulane education, other scholarship money available (see the thread about 11.7 scholarships, let's not re-hash all that!) and the change in NCAA rules requiring transfers to sit a year. Remember, our best team ever was lead by a transfer from GaTech that was (IMHO) by far the best player on the team and possibly ever to suit up in a Tulane baseball uniform. Under today's rules, Micah Owings probably doesn't consider coming to Tulane. Without him that team was a good team, but far from a #1 seed. That team probably wouldn't have made it to the CWS without him.

Agreed. Also past admins kept baseball on the front burner. It became our flagship sport , which is a waste (sort of)financially. It just pulled so much clout. I think we're now seeing a shift to fix the sports that REALLY matter (not saying baseball doesn't) and I think baseball will suffer with less attention. And that's probably the correct thing even though it sticks in the craw of some of the old school guys. On top of all the things we talked about over and over on what is hurting Tulane baseball. I think we'll still make runs here and there , but sustained success is over. And was pretty much done before jones left. Me? I would sacrifice baseball for a consistent top 20 football team any day of the week.
:lol: Sacrificing baseball isn't going to make us a consistent top 20 football team. Not sure what dream world you're living in.
galvezwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

:lol: Sacrificing baseball isn't going to make us a consistent top 20 football team. Not sure what dream world you're living in.
Not exactly what I was trying to say. Just meant that I would trade it if I could.
sader24
Tsunami

Reminds me of 1998, when the powers that be alerted Tommy Bowden about 2 days before practice that several guys he believed were eligible were in fact not. This has been happening at Tulane forever. It's become hard for me to believe that the ppl who make these decisions don't do so at times to stick it to athletes and the athletic dept. It would be easy I guess to fault Jewett who I'm obviously no huge fan of for not walking this through from Day 1, but the fact that you have to go through the song and dance with the academics for the last 60 years is why our Athletic Dept is in its current state. This is disgraceful and that they did it to this kid is even worse. Either Athletics are a priority or not and if they are, this is a situation where a President or Athletic Director should step in and get this resolved. It's funny that we hired Jewett bc he knew how to recruit to a private, but Cannizaro would've no doubt known what he had to do to get this kid in bc of his relationship with Rick Jones and Gautreau and specific knowledge of the situation at this University and the demented way they operate.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Reminds me of 1998, when the powers that be alerted Tommy Bowden about 2 days before practice that several guys he believed were eligible were in fact not. This has been happening at Tulane forever. It's become hard for me to believe that the ppl who make these decisions don't do so at times to stick it to athletes and the athletic dept. It would be easy I guess to fault Jewett who I'm obviously no huge fan of for not walking this through from Day 1, but the fact that you have to go through the song and dance with the academics for the last 60 years is why our Athletic Dept is in its current state. This is disgraceful and that they did it to this kid is even worse. Either Athletics are a priority or not and if they are, this is a situation where a President or Athletic Director should step in and get this resolved. It's funny that we hired Jewett bc he knew how to recruit to a private, but Cannizaro would've no doubt known what he had to do to get this kid in bc of his relationship with Rick Jones and Gautreau and specific knowledge of the situation at this University and the demented way they operate.
Plus 1 million.
Jewett has to go through the Tulane learning curve. Completely unique of Vandy. And yes Andy or Matt picks up the phone and gets the blueprint from RJ. The kid enrolls in summer school and is now eligible. Instead a sour taste is left in the entire family's mouth. Jewett loses his starting infielder and lead off switch hitter. Really sad for all involved especially the kid and his Tulane family. FYI having spoken in the past to our former coach I've been told the awarding credit transfer hours is one of the most subjective things he's ever been involved in. You go on a Friday you get a class approved, you go on a Monday you might get denied on that same class.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Not exactly what I was trying to say. Just meant that I would trade it if I could.
As for your belief that the sustained success is over for baseball. I hope not and it shouldn't be, its on the AD if so. Hire good coaches and they will have lots of success at Tulane in baseball. Look what Pierce just did.
arkhou02
High Tide

Jewett has to go thru a coaching curve before he goes thru a coaching curve.
chain gang x man
Swell

It's time for President Fitts to put on his big boy pants and see to it that situation is resolved
Does anyone know what class was not accepted?
Again this was a class Braedon took in the 2015/2016 school year at Northwestern St not a class taken at Hinds Community College this past semester
He signed his NLI in November 2016
So for 7 months was the coach more concerned with PowerPoint presentation, how to stand for the National Anthem or how many times you brushed your teeth.
This is not Vandy
Show Me
Tsunami

"Show Me" once that Tulane cares about baseball. Jewett is the new deer in headlights. With the huge amount of turnover in the Wilson center it looks like the paying fans are shafted once again while another coach, staff and AD learn on the job just how treacherous the "Waves" of Gibson Hall can be.
However in this specific case Jewett has to be the fall guy. He didn't do what it took to get the job done. No reason not to have that player in summer school picking up the class he needed to become eligible. Like others have stated we have lost at least 5 to 6 JC's because of something and it's probably the lack of transfer hours. It makes one appreciate Rick Jones more and more as to what he must have had to do to have a number one team in the country at Tulane.
galvezwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

As for your belief that the sustained success is over for baseball. I hope not and it shouldn't be, its on the AD if so. Hire good coaches and they will have lots of success at Tulane in baseball. Look what Pierce just did.
We haven't won a regional going on 13 years. How do you define sustained success. I know it's not impossible, but it seems there's a new obstacle popping up every year
Show Me
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

We haven't won a regional going on 13 years. How do you define sustained success. I know it's not impossible, but it seems there's a new obstacle popping up every year
I'd consider a winning season first. Ex football has had only 5 in the last 40 years. Baseball has only had 2 losing seasons in the last 40 years. Unfortunately one being in Jewett's first year and next year will be two in a row.
Look at the bright side now Jewett has new money freed up. We can only hope he uses it wisely.
chain gang x man
Swell

Look for another casualty
Ryan Calhoun
Profoundwizard
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I considered 2015 and 2016 successful seasons. Back to back trips to the Regionals and an AAC championship
Profoundwizard
Swell

posse wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
As many as 5 JUCO recruits have been denied admission
STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.....

"Don’t let facts get in the way of a good rumor. No JUCO baseball players have been denied admission. One was originally denied, then later admitted. All others have been admitted".
So the horse was wrong?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
posse wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
As many as 5 JUCO recruits have been denied admission
STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.....

"Don’t let facts get in the way of a good rumor. No JUCO baseball players have been denied admission. One was originally denied, then later admitted. All others have been admitted".
So the horse was wrong?
Getting admitted doesn't seem to be the problem.

Getting all their credits transferred, a DIFFERENT ISSUE, is posing problems. That's ALWAYS going to be the case with JUCOS and at every University in the country, not unique to Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Seems to me, if you don't get enough credits transferred, we get basically the same result as not being admitted at all. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't care if you're 18 or 65, someone tells you that a years worth of work doesn't count, and you'll have to pay extra to do the work again, I'm going to say F U.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Profoundwizard
Swell

Right, it's semantics really and the issue may not be unique to Tulane but there are plenty of schools that have no trouble getting JUCOs in.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

BS Flag in a big way. 4 Credits is not a year's worth of school. It's one class. As I've said, I know a good friend whose son had to take 12 credits in summer school last summer to suit up as a JUCO transfer. The NCAA didn't grant him a 6th year, so he graduated and ended his career, but got to play last fall. He had better reasons than our former QB to get a 6th year, but because he left an (alcoholic) abusive coach a season before said coach was fired, they didn't give him that extra year. Just another reason why I hate the "almighty" NCAA.

And by the way, this has happened in the last year to Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford, Vanderbilt and even Alabama. It is not unique to Tulane at all. We just feel it more because we don't have a long list of equally talented recruits.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:BS Flag in a big way. 4 Credits is not a year's worth of school. It's one class. As I've said, I know a good friend whose son had to take 12 credits in summer school last summer to suit up as a JUCO transfer. The NCAA didn't grant him a 6th year, so he graduated and ended his career, but got to play last fall. He had better reasons than our former QB to get a 6th year, but because he left an (alcoholic) abusive coach a season before said coach was fired, they didn't give him that extra year. Just another reason why I hate the "almighty" NCAA.

And by the way, this has happened in the last year to Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford, Vanderbilt and even Alabama. It is not unique to Tulane at all. We just feel it more because we don't have a long list of equally talented recruits.
Jewett is wasting his time if he's trying to build a program from JC recruiting. The most he should try for is one or two and make sure they qualify before the Fall. He should cherry pick a position or two never more than that. The odds of getting 6 JC's in at Tulane is not very good.