Chase Solesky

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Turning the page will not be easy. Thank you for the lifelong memories & RollWave

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Turning the page will not be easy. Thank you for the lifelong memories & RollWave
Tough loss. Two likely weekend starters now have transferred.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Best of luck to the young man
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bearwave
High Tide

chain gang x man wrote:One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Turning the page will not be easy. Thank you for the lifelong memories & RollWave
Was told last week this was coming but was hoping he would have a change of heart. Best of luck young man.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:
Was told last week this was coming but was hoping he would have a change of heart. Best of luck young man.
Yes. It's kind of old news. I heard about it in early June. I guess he decided to make it official today.
Tough deal. A financial decision. I think he would have stayed if the $$$ could have been worked out.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

Bearwave wrote:
I think all of us assumed he was not coming back when his summer league coach shut him down
Probably didn't want to risk injury while Chase weighed his decision
chain gang x man
Swell

Our first base coach Boruff a volunteer assistant is not returning also
His name has been eliminated from the official roster
He was not paid
greenphantom
Swell

Instead of regurgitating useless drivel, can someone post details like where he is going for those that don't want to spend time finding on twitter. Thanks! Agree, tough loss
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:Instead of regurgitating useless drivel, can someone post details like where he is going for those that don't want to spend time finding on twitter. Thanks! Agree, tough loss
Not yet decided. Probably a JC school in FL.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:Instead of regurgitating useless drivel, can someone post details like where he is going for those that don't want to spend time finding on twitter. Thanks! Agree, tough loss
Not yet decided. Probably a JC school in FL.
Thanks TPS! This sux
greenie78
Riptide

Good luck. Wish him well.
Last edited by greenie78 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenie78 wrote:Good riddance loser.
Classy
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Had his scholarship cut in half. Loves Tulane can no longer afford to attend.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
That stinks. I changed my post to wish him well. What was the reason for his scholarship cut?
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

seemed like a great kid. was great pitcher with a lot of potential. wish him well! He'll be pitching at a big time d1 soon thats more affordable.

I guess the current staff didn't feel like his talent justified the huge scholarship pierce gave him. If it was cut in half, i'm assuming it was pretty large. If Jewett thinks he can get the same equivalent pitcher for half the money, then by all means i'm all for this!

Us being strapped for schollies, as we all know it is an absolute must to get elite players when you award your 2-3 large scholarships to someone.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:seemed like a great kid. was great pitcher with a lot of potential. wish him well! He'll be pitching at a big time d1 soon thats more affordable.

I guess the current staff didn't feel like his talent justified the huge scholarship pierce gave him. If it was cut in half, i'm assuming it was pretty large. If Jewett thinks he can get the same equivalent pitcher for half the money, then by all means i'm all for this!

Us being strapped for schollies, as we all know it is an absolute must to get elite players when you award your 2-3 large scholarships to someone.
I feel like there were many players worse than Solesky. Maybe there scholarships were cut too but if not, this is not wise.
chain gang x man
Swell

Freshman pitcher Chase Solesky announces plans to transfer from Tulane

A tough rebuilding project has become even tougher for Tulane baseball coach Travis Jewett.
After losing a huge chunk of his roster to graduation at the end of a disappointing first year, he is losing another key player to a transfer.
Chase Solesky, a freshman pitcher, announced Friday on Twitter he was leaving the program. His departure leaves the Green Wave with only two returning pitchers who started more than two games this season.
“I felt it was best to transfer from Tulane and do what is best for my family and me to reach the goals I have set for myself,” Solesky wrote in part of a 150-word tweet. “I leave heavy-hearted, with much APPRECIATION for my family, friends, teammates and Green Wave fans. I’m very grateful for the opportunities that the coaches provided me.”
Tulane had the second-worst ERA in school history during a 27-31 debut season for Jewett, but Solesky, from Fort Pierce, Florida, was one of the few bright spots on the mound. He went 5-3 in 25 appearances with eight starts. His 3.84 ERA was tied for the second best on the team, and his 68 innings were the third most.
With Solesky’s departure, Tulane’s most accomplished returning pitchers are redshirt senior Sam Bjorngjeld (5.91 ERA) and junior Ross Massey, a Baton Rouge Catholic graduate who followed a terrific freshman year with a nightmarish sophomore slump (0-8, 9.68).
The Wave also lost most of its position players to graduation, with outfielder Grant Witherspoon (.299 average, five home runs) the only returning starter who hit. 225 or better or more than one home run.
Solesky’s announcement came a week after J.P. France revealed he would play for Mississippi State as a graduate transfer. France, who matched Solesky’s 3.84 ERA while pitching a team-high 96 innings, likely would have been Tulane’s Friday starter in 2018 if he had returned.
Instead, he participated in Senior Day ceremonies, ending his Green Wave career with a year of eligibility left.
After not being drafted, he chose Mississippi State, where he will be coached by former Tulane player and LSU assistant Andy Cannizaro. He also will be reunited with Jake Gautreau, the coach who recruited him to Tulane as an assistant to Rick Jones. Cannizaro recently added Gautreau to his staff.
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ddf92.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That stinks. I changed my post to wish him well. What was the reason for his scholarship cut?
I would assume coach Jewett had to over promise money to get other kids in and it had to come from somewhere. 11.7 at Tulane's tuition level makes things more difficult for the HC. He has to negotiate a scholarship rather than just give one. I thought Chase was a promising pitcher. Hate to lose him.
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

this is why Tulane will never be a force again in baseball.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He was one of the freshman I noted in my practice reports that I thought would contribute. Hope it works out for both sides.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bearwave
High Tide

He was the only returner who should have gotten an increase and instead was cut. Unless Jewett has some secret signees stashed away a .500 record next year is a pipe dream. The class that was listed here had no highly ranked players and rumour is a few of those aren't coming.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Small world. Just had a conversation with a Florida showcase coach. Said he knows about Chase. Good player.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Small world. Just had a conversation with a Florida showcase coach. Said he knows about Chase. Good player.
In the state of Florida, he can be considered an in-state resident (if he isn't already) one year from when he establishes a mailing address and residence. If he plays there next spring, by the fall of 2018 he'll be a resident. Which means if he only gets 1/2 scholarship he's paying in-state tuition, a fraction of what it costs to go to Tulane on a 1/2 scholarship.

I wish him the best.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Small world. Just had a conversation with a Florida showcase coach. Said he knows about Chase. Good player.
In the state of Florida, he can be considered an in-state resident (if he isn't already) one year from when he establishes a mailing address and residence. If he plays there next spring, by the fall of 2018 he'll be a resident. Which means if he only gets 1/2 scholarship he's paying in-state tuition, a fraction of what it costs to go to Tulane on a 1/2 scholarship.

I wish him the best.
Yes. Great kid.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I wish him the best.
Nice. Great kid.
Possible, but I wouldn't pencil that in. All there right handed pitchers throw low to mid 90s