We're number 1...kinda, sorta

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

Moved up 6 places from last year
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:Moved up 6 places from last year

and the Lawd Gawd of coaching on the bayou at Loosseeannnaa Laugh-eye-ette is sinking fast...I guess Mississippi State will not be calling anytime soon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:

and the Lawd Gawd of coaching on the bayou at Loosseeannnaa Laugh-eye-ette is sinking fast...I guess Mississippi State will not be calling anytime soon

I know nothing of the rosters of the two schools, but I'd bet UL-L finishes ahead of UL-M and beats them head to head this year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I know nothing of the rosters of the two schools, but I'd bet UL-L finishes ahead of UL-M and beats them head to head this year.
AAAHHH...the Battle of the University of Louisiana @'s, could be an interesting game for those who really care, which would be the "Duck Callers" and the "Swamp People"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's quite a few opponents on our schedule within 15 or so spots of our ranking. This season looks bleak if we base everything upon the Spring Game. But if we step up in year 2 of Fritz ball, we'll be ok and playing for win #6 in November.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:There's quite a few opponents on our schedule within 15 or so spots of our ranking. This season looks bleak if we base everything upon the Spring Game. But if we step up in year 2 of Fritz ball, we'll be ok and playing for win #6 in November.
At this point (i.e. after the losses to graduation, the 2017 signing class, and the spring game), even 5 wins would be worth smiling over. That being said, it's unfortunate that Tulane's APR rate is nowhere close to being good enough for Tulane to squeeze into a bowl with 5 wins.
anEngineer
Riptide

It's interesting to analyze the ratings in that the highest AAC team is USF at 60. It's essentially the top 11 of each P5 conference (and ND) then the rest. The AAC has positions 60, 61, 66, 69 and 72. It demonstrates how difficult it is to break into that upper echelon. You can't schedule enough P5's in a year to raise your credibility for ranking or recruiting and no matter who you beat in conference, they aren't rated much higher than you.

If USF or Houston beats the one P5 on their schedule (Illinios at 65 or Arizona at 62), what has really been proven? Even when Houston beat Oklahoma last year, once Houston lost a game, it was considered a fluke and a Oklahoma slip up.

When Houston and USF play each other, will that game be any less of a game than UCLA-Utah or Va. Tech- Ga. Tech or Texas A&M-Arkansas? Those teams all figure to finish in the middle of their conferences but think of how many more people would watch just because it's P5. AAC has one advantage that most schools are in urban areas so they have "potential" interest and viewership. How do you get people to care?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

anEngineer wrote:It's interesting to analyze the ratings in that the highest AAC team is USF at 60. It's essentially the top 11 of each P5 conference (and ND) then the rest. The AAC has positions 60, 61, 66, 69 and 72. It demonstrates how difficult it is to break into that upper echelon. You can't schedule enough P5's in a year to raise your credibility for ranking or recruiting and no matter who you beat in conference, they aren't rated much higher than you.

If USF or Houston beats the one P5 on their schedule (Illinios at 65 or Arizona at 62), what has really been proven? Even when Houston beat Oklahoma last year, once Houston lost a game, it was considered a fluke and a Oklahoma slip up.

When Houston and USF play each other, will that game be any less of a game than UCLA-Utah or Va. Tech- Ga. Tech or Texas A&M-Arkansas? Those teams all figure to finish in the middle of their conferences but think of how many more people would watch just because it's P5. AAC has one advantage that most schools are in urban areas so they have "potential" interest and viewership. How do you get people to care?
A lot of this. The key for a team that's not already consistently successful, G5 or not, to become relevant is success over multiple seasons under the same coach. Art Briles at Baylor, Peterson at Boise, Patterson at TCU, and Dantonio at Michigan State showed that that is achievable, G5 or no, but the issue is that most successful G5 coaches jump ship at the 1st or 2nd opportunity and so that consistent success can never be reached. Even Fritz would probably jump ship without a second thought if he ever hits an 8 win season here.

As for scheduling, Houston had the -perfect- schedule for a 50/50 shot at the playoff with a 13-0 record last year, but (1) a schedule like that for a G5 probably only happens once a decade and (2) even if a G5 had that schedule, giving that G5 recruiting is generally not that great, it's unlikely that the G5 would have a team worthy of competing at that level. As a great example of (2), the best AAC teams have disappointing OOC schedules - 2017 USF should be great, but its OOC schedule is a joke. Likewise, Memphis should also be great, but it's big OOC opponent is 4-8 (2016 record) UCLA.
nowave
Ripple

anEngineer wrote:It's interesting to analyze the ratings in that the highest AAC team is USF at 60. It's essentially the top 11 of each P5 conference (and ND) then the rest. The AAC has positions 60, 61, 66, 69 and 72. It demonstrates how difficult it is to break into that upper echelon. You can't schedule enough P5's in a year to raise your credibility for ranking or recruiting and no matter who you beat in conference, they aren't rated much higher than you.

basically you destroy everything that was built by the most successful program on campus (baseball) and reroute resources and fan interest towards the one that has been the black sheep of the tulane family for the last 20 years (football).
nowave
Ripple

basically you destroy everything that was built by the most successful program on campus (baseball) and reroute resources and fan interest towards the one that has been the black sheep of the tulane family for the last 20+ years (football).
Show Me
Tsunami

nowave wrote:

basically you destroy everything that was built by the most successful program on campus (baseball) and reroute resources and fan interest towards the one that has been the black sheep of the tulane family for the last 20 years (football).
Hell no. What resources? Baseball doesn't get any resources. But Dannen would love nothing more than to kill the most popular sport on campus like he did at his last stop. And it would not help us win anyway.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:Hell no. What resources? Baseball doesn't get any resources. But Dannen would love nothing more than to kill the most popular sport on campus like he did at his last stop. And it would not help us win anyway.
How do you measure popularity on campus? The same way Rick Dickson counts "capacity'"?
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:Hell no. What resources? Baseball doesn't get any resources. But Dannen would love nothing more than to kill the most popular sport on campus like he did at his last stop. And it would not help us win anyway.
How do you measure popularity on campus? The same way Rick Dickson counts "capacity'"?
Dannen trying to kill baseball? What a preposterous claim with absolutely no evidence. How can anything you say be taken with any seriousness when you make such a ridiculous statement? If you have some sort of evidence of this, I will be happy to apologize but until then you are just not for real.
nowave
Ripple

anEngineer wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Dannen trying to kill baseball? What a preposterous claim with absolutely no evidence. How can anything you say be taken with any seriousness when you make such a ridiculous statement? If you have some sort of evidence of this, I will be happy to apologize but until then you are just not for real.
is he trying to cut the program altogether? probably not. but is he working on making the program irrelevant? judging by his personnel decisions and the lack of attention devoted towards the sport this year, I'd say so. some season ticket holders told me they saw him at maybe 1 game this year. at least dickson would go and physically support the team.

dannen probably cannot cut baseball at tulane or hed be driven out of town by a pitchforked mob. but he can allot the bare minimum to the sport to keep it afloat. its a different kind of "kill".
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Is my memory failing, or did they replace the turf and do other improvements at Turchin between fall ball and the start of the regular season? Regardless, baseball is clearly NOT the most popular sport on campus.

Some people just cannot move beyond the fact that AC was not hired. It's time to move on. Turn the page.
nowave
Ripple

DfromCT wrote:Is my memory failing, or did they replace the turf and do other improvements at Turchin between fall ball and the start of the regular season? Regardless, baseball is clearly NOT the most popular sport on campus.

Some people just cannot move beyond the fact that AC was not hired. It's time to move on. Turn the page.
new turf was put down yes but im unaware of any other improvements. and new turf was a must, not an amenity. it had to happen, as it had not changed since the stadium was constructed. applauding new turf would be similar to being excited over new shoulder pads for football.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Is my memory failing, or did they replace the turf and do other improvements at Turchin between fall ball and the start of the regular season? Regardless, baseball is clearly NOT the most popular sport on campus.

We are both wasting keystrokes with this guy. He has no idea what he's talking about and ignores facts that refute his claims. The alternative is that he's just one of those people who just likes to be contrary so he can claim to be controversial.