Tulane Sailing coming back

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got word that Tulane is adding Sailing as it's 17th sport.
2015 story on Tulane Sailing as a Club Sport.
http://www.sailingworld.com/college-sai ... university

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Just got word that Tulane is adding Sailing as it's 17th sport.
How many FULL scholarships?
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Wow, I can't wait to see what our sailing team will accomplish. We have such a great place for practicing and holding regattas and it sounds like they have some new 420s to sail around. Hopefully we can get this program supported and turn them into a champion! Reminds me of my high school days racing in 420s in New England.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
Good question. Probably be answered by TD on Thursday.
In 2015 Sailing was not an official NCAA sport and while the NCAA imposes no limits on sailing scholarships, in practicality there are no athletic scholarships available for participation on varsity sailing teams. The NCAA must have made it an official sport for now.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TPS...I see you have ammended your original post referencing a "Large Donor" ... I was going to ask if the "donor" had "big dollars", or was just a "huge individual"...if the latter, than I am sure Tulane will be entering in the "Cruise Ship" or "Tug Boat' portion of the events
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
TPS...I see you have ammended your original post referencing a "Large Donor" ... I was going to ask if the "donor" had "big dollars", or was just a "huge individual"...if the latter, than I am sure Tulane will be entering in the "Cruise Ship" or "Tug Boat' portion of the events
:lol: I realized all the equipment was already in house. So less likely a Large Donor/Cruise Ship involved. :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
Good question. Probably be answered by TD on Thursday.
In 2015 Sailing was not an official NCAA sport and while the NCAA imposes no limits on sailing scholarships, in practicality there are no athletic scholarships available for participation on varsity sailing teams. The NCAA must have made it an official sport for now.
Question
How many "ATHLETES" on the BOWLING team and how many scholarships?
Is the number proportional to baseball with 35 ATHLETES
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Wow.
Who wrote that?
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Wow.
Even if true, it's unclear why that would be surprising to anyone as Tulane doesn't have a lot of money compared to its peers and the money that it does have is honestly stretched too thin - $1.1B doesn't cover that much when it (plus tuition and some minor other sources of income) has to cover 13,000+ students, an Architecture School, Law School, Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Science and Engineering, School of Liberal Arts, School of Continuing Studies, School of Social Work, athletics, the library, and whatever else the university spends its money on.

As for sailing, Tulane may be reintroducing the sport in order to make the university more attractive to wealthy 17-19 year olds who fully intend to participate in sailing in college.
Profoundwizard
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wow.
Who wrote that?
Good question, not sure this is reliable information. In fact, I'd bet it's false.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: As for sailing, Tulane may be reintroducing the sport in order to make the university more attractive to wealthy 17-19 year olds who fully intend to participate in sailing in college.
And I doubt they're using up any minority scholarship money on it either.
e
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
:lol: I realized all the equipment was already in house. So less likely a Large Donor/Cruise Ship involved. :lol:

Bisso ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

As if Tulane isn't laughed at enough we add Sailing as a sport. Big revenue generator I bet. :o
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:As if Tulane isn't laughed at enough we add Sailing as a sport. Big revenue generator I bet. :o
couda' been worse...TD could have added "CornHole" or Croquet....limited number of players needed and they do not take up much space....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Not NCAA sanctioned. So why move it under athletics?
https://twitter.com/guersmith/status/874384465057001472
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

chain gang x man
Swell

More than 200 colleges have sailing teams, but there were only 14 at the Division I varsity level in 2015. The rules then said no sailors were allowed scholarships based on sailing prowess:
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/sailing.html
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wow.
Who wrote that?
Good question, not sure this is reliable information. In fact, I'd bet it's false.
Just out of curiosity what's our flagship sport? baseball? never knew we had a flagship sport....
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

I guess i'm lost. What is the purpose of adding this sport? title 9, because of a donor, because TD was told too, or is their some strategy involved we are not seeing. Why would you add this? I didnt get to see the tweet it is now deleted.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:I guess i'm lost. What is the purpose of adding this sport? title 9, because of a donor, because TD was told too, or is their some strategy involved we are not seeing. Why would you add this? I didnt get to see the tweet it is now deleted.
I watched the FB stream but it was very difficult to hear what was being said. Next time they need to put a remote mic on the speakers platform. If you weren't in the room you really couldn't hear on the phone they streamed from. I heard TD talk about Title IX compliance and how our student body is now over 60% female so the athletic dept has to balance that with athletics. I'm assuming this will be mostly women sailors l or all perhaps. I can't be sure however because I could really hear everything. There was a donor present and she spoke. She was a former sailor who happened to meet her husband at Tulane. I gave up trying to listen and closed down the stream.
One particular comment on the stream stood out. Something to the effect, "Hiring former Tulane standouts Matt or Andy, that ship had sailed!"

https://www.facebook.com/34392223236695 ... 0742359097
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

I don't get it. Why not fix Football, Basketball, and Baseball before adding another sport to suck at. Why sailing and why now?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:I don't get it. Why not fix Football, Basketball, and Baseball before adding another sport to suck at. Why sailing and why now?
A donor stepped up to fully fund it. It's going to be a club sport until 2018. So I suppose it won't cost the athletic dept anything. Title IX I assume forced it.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:I don't get it. Why not fix Football, Basketball, and Baseball before adding another sport to suck at. Why sailing and why now?
A donor stepped up to fully fund it. It's going to be a club sport until 2018. So I suppose it won't cost the athletic dept anything. Title IX I assume forced it.
"Sailing...."...Christopher Cross to be named the "Coach"