Any truth?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Heard a rumor a guy named Darryl Berger who graduated from Vanderbilt and Tulane Law School gave the University $5 Million for control or heavy influence on coaching hires and he's the one who wanted Richard Jewett bc of connections to Vandy. This is totally unconfirmed but it is a rumor going around a few Tulane circles. I don't even know who the guy is but it looks like he's served on both Tulane and Vanderbilt boards.

sader24
Tsunami

We have sold the football job twice to Sam Scelfo and Tom Benson and the Basketball job once to Devlin.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Heard a rumor a guy named Darryl Berger who graduated from Vanderbilt and Tulane Law School gave the University $5 Million for control or heavy influence on coaching hires and he's the one who wanted Richard Jewett bc of connections to Vandy. This is totally unconfirmed but it is a rumor going around a few Tulane circles. I don't even know who the guy is but it looks like he's served on both Tulane and Vanderbilt boards.
Berger was the head of the board during the AD search. Doug Hertz was the head of the board during the Jewett hire. Berger was more involved in getting Dannen. TD hired Jewett without influence. The Board didn't get involved in coaching searches only AD search definitely a rumor. Berger did go to Vandy and he's definitely been a large donor for years. He's big in real estate. I could see people believing that's why we didn't hire Andy but that's not the case on this one. Dannen's been given 100% control of everything in the athletic dept. including all the hires and fires we've had and that's how it should be. I didn't agree with passing on Andy or Matt. I'm fine with WF. Dunleavy was out of left field. We'll see. Some other athletic dept moves I would not have made but I get him wanting to bring his own people in.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Ok, just heard it randomly an hour ago from someone who has been a season ticket holder and donor for awhile. It didn't seem right.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Ok, just heard it randomly an hour ago from someone who has been a season ticket holder and donor for awhile. It didn't seem right.
Desperate times I know. The Andy screwup has people going delirious.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

They still think he pulled the strings.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:They still think he pulled the strings.
No. This one is on Dannen. Dannen was excited to be able to hire all his coaches in year one. That's unheard of. Andy was never under serious consideration because of his so called "lack of coaching experience" and mostly because of his Tulane bloodline. TD purposely went outside of the Tulane family. He came in looking to change the culture. That was needed in the two other sports but not baseball. He strictly went with "the better resume guy"in his opinion. Jewett was his guy and his guy alone. Had he won this year all would have been forgotten. If you remember there were more people upset (fans, alums, huge donors, former players and even the media) over passing up on Andy than any other coaching pick in the past. Berger is a good guy. He's been a hands off board member for years. There's definitely no truth to that rumor. Dannen was probably under more pressure to hire Andy or Matt and just wanted to go in another direction. We can only hope Jewett can recruit and win immediately next year. Andy in his first year has already proven what most already knew. Andy's done it his entire baseball life and will continue to do so. Unfortunately he's facing the hottest team in the country in the most hostile environment this weekend so getting to the CWS in year one is going to be tough. Even if his season ends today it has been a great run.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

I have no idea how the interviews went, but in fairness, Jewett's resume pre-Tulane was more than adequate for the job. The top assistant at highly successful, academic oriented Vanderbilt. I give him three years tops to get this program where it should be and now we are entering Year #2. There better not be any five year plan!!!
wavemania
Surge

I would like to know how many coaches came from Corbin's coaching tree and their success. That will tell me if it is worth while giving Jewett a good look. If there is plenty of success with his assistants taking over other programs and winning, maybe I could give TD a pass. But looking at Jines's pedigree of coaches and the success of that group during Andy's and Matt's playing days, I would have given the reigns over toeither one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

No doubt Jewett was more than qualified on paper. But many times you need to go beyond paper. The frustration of passing on Andy/Matt has been magnified by the worst baseball season in decades and the post season success of those two Greenies. Had we just had a winning season I think most would be ok with it. It just didn't go as expected. I'm going to continue to support all Tulane coaches even if I wanted someone else for their job. We can only hope TJ can turn this thing around ASAP. We're not getting Andy or Matt in the future. That window has closed.
Tulane admin needs to step up and do the things as promised if we're going to get back to where we all want to be Omaha.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Agree with it all tps.

Jewett can do this, he can get us back to #1 in nation! He's more than qualified, but he can't do it without any help from our admin. He needs the admin to buy in and they aren't. Rick jones needed the admin too and they sh** on him. David Pierce asked for the same help...they got nothing.

Someone please tell me how hard it is to offer 3 minorities a year a scholarship at tulane to play baseball? That would be a great start.....That's all we need...3 full ones a year. That is cheap, call it a leadership award or something, who cares. Let's get it done!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:Agree with it all tps.

Jewett can do this, he can get us back to #1 in nation! He's more than qualified, but he can't do it without any help from our admin. He needs the admin to buy in and they aren't. Rick jones needed the admin too and they sh** on him. David Pierce asked for the same help...they got nothing.

Someone please tell me how hard it is to offer 3 minorities a year a scholarship at tulane to play baseball? That would be a great start.....That's all we need...3 full ones a year. That is cheap, call it a leadership award or something, who cares. Let's get it done!
Total Agreement with that!
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:Agree with it all tps.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting is legal.

btw, check your pm.