More disturbing baseball news

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:TPS, you and I are on the same page on this. Many of our best pitchers were soft tossers with nasty stuff. I've seen too many guys gain a couple mph's and think they were power pitchers, rarely does it turn out good. ULL picked up a lefty from Hahnville this year. Jr year he started trying to overpower guys and his era was going up. He went back to pitching instead of throwing and made all state his last two years. His ball moves a ton but when he tried throwing max speed it flattened out.
Thank You. When a kid wins 10 games as a freshman and is named All American you don't change a thing. Especially close to the start of the season.
Line on Ross last night

Corvallis
# Pitcher IP H R ER BB SO ERA
11 Massey, R 5.0 4 2 2 3 1 4.82
He took the loss his team lost 2-1
Kody Hoese went 1-1 against Ross
Hoese is hitting .286

Side note the Hahnville pitcher played quarterback on the football team and got hurt in his I think his junior year

Bearwave
High Tide

chain gang x man wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:TPS, you and I are on the same page on this. Many of our best pitchers were soft tossers with nasty stuff. I've seen too many guys gain a couple mph's and think they were power pitchers, rarely does it turn out good. ULL picked up a lefty from Hahnville this year. Jr year he started trying to overpower guys and his era was going up. He went back to pitching instead of throwing and made all state his last two years. His ball moves a ton but when he tried throwing max speed it flattened out.
Thank You. When a kid wins 10 games as a freshman and is named All American you don't change a thing. Especially close to the start of the season.
Line on Ross last night

Corvallis
Hoese is hitting .286

Side note the Hahnville pitcher played quarterback on the football team and got hurt in his I think his junior year
He didn't play football his junior year.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
chain gang x man
Swell

Bearwave wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Line on Ross last night

Corvallis
Hoese is hitting .286

He didn't play football his junior year.
You're right
He played his senior year
Bearwave
High Tide

Sophomore year he got hurt and he chose to not play his Junior year.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
Pepper
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Shocked that (Pitching Coach) Tighe Dickinson is coming back. The pitching, at least the starting pitching, was supposed to be the backbone of the team. As a staff, it was bad.
Skip Johnson, the pitching coach at Oklahoma is available. His rep with handling pitchers is unquestioned. I'd make the move immediately.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Shocked that (Pitching Coach) Tighe Dickinson is coming back. The pitching, at least the starting pitching, was supposed to be the backbone of the team. As a staff, it was bad.
Skip Johnson, the pitching coach at Oklahoma is available. His rep with handling pitchers is unquestioned. I'd make the move immediately.
TJ is NOT going to make any changes...he just went public with his love fest for his pitching coach...the most disturbing news for Baseball, based on performance, is that we still have the same damn staff that should never have been here in the first place...i think I am going to start a petition in the "Hood to have TD thrown out of "ole metry"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I don't know the specifics of the program Ross was put on. Maybe you do, but it's hard for me to give a real defense of it without knowing the specifics.

I will say that correlation doesn't imply causation. And I stand by the belief that adding velocity was a good idea.
Adding velocity is good for some but a small increase in velocity can make some people easier to hit; ball flattens out some, they get over confident and think they can throw it by people, and often control suffers. Ross was effective because of command and lack of velocity. He's lost all of that and may not get it back.

Oh, and Gregg Maddux never threw hard.
Exactly. Barth Melius couldn't break a wet paper bag. All he did was get outs.
This is not true. While no Randy Johnson, in his prime Maddux had a low 90s fastball. Not sure what the problem was this year with Massey but I doubt it could be attributed 100% to use of weighted balls. Many MLB pitchers use them and not just in the offseason. Some use them in games to warm up in the bullpen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I don't know the specifics of the program Ross was put on. Maybe you do, but it's hard for me to give a real defense of it without knowing the specifics.

I will say that correlation doesn't imply causation. And I stand by the belief that adding velocity was a good idea.
Adding velocity is good for some but a small increase in velocity can make some people easier to hit; ball flattens out some, they get over confident and think they can throw it by people, and often control suffers. Ross was effective because of command and lack of velocity. He's lost all of that and may not get it back.

Oh, and Gregg Maddux never threw hard.
Exactly. Barth Melius couldn't break a wet paper bag. All he did was get outs.
This is not true. While no Randy Johnson, in his prime Maddux had a low 90s fastball. Not sure what the problem was this year with Massey but I doubt it could be attributed 100% to use of weighted balls. Many MLB pitchers use them and not just in the offseason. Some use them in games to warm up in the bullpen.
Maddux stats
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... v6Ts2zO3xg
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

Ross Massey looking good tonight
https://twitter.com/quickpitches32/stat ... 4095671297
Could it be coaching?
Massey finishes his night with 6ip, 6 hits allowed, 2 runs, 3,BB's and 4 K's.
In line for the W

Ross gets no decision
Cowlitz scored four times in the seventh inning to erase a 3-2 Corvallis lead. The comeback negated a fine start by lefty Ross Massey (Tulane), who allowed two runs and six hits in six innings, with four strikeouts. It was his longest outing of the summer.
chain gang x man
Swell

Some good news

Jonathon Artigues update: Hitting .356 (3rd in the Texas Collegiate League), playing 2B, 3B and SS. Has pitched in two games middle relief. 6 innings: 6k's, 3BB's, 2hits, 0 ER's;
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good to hear.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
chain gang x man
Swell

SPOOOOOOON

Grant Witherspoon's (@GreenWaveBSB) 3-run double was the big blow for @BourneBraves offense in their 5-4 win over Cotuit last night.
chain gang x man
Swell

Sal Gozzo highlight

Sal Gozzo gets on with a HBP, steals 2nd, advances to 3rd on a balk, and comes home on a ball thrown over the pitchers head by the catcher
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:Sal Gozzo highlight

Sal Gozzo gets on with a HBP, steals 2nd, advances to 3rd on a balk, and comes home on a ball thrown over the pitchers head by the catcher
There were quite a few posts in threads late this past season indicating that the Gozzo brothers were transferring and that their father really disliked Coach Jewett. Has anyone confirmed they're leaving or returning?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
chain gang x man
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

There were quite a few posts in threads late this past season indicating that the Gozzo brothers were transferring and that their father really disliked Coach Jewett. Has anyone confirmed they're leaving or returning?
Word is Sal coming back Paul is not
chain gang x man
Swell

Spoon at it again

T3: A Witherspoon double puts the Bravos on top heading into the bottom of the 3rd #GoBraves
4R, 3E, 0E, 1LOB
Bourne 4, Cotuit 0
RobertM320
Green Wave

chain gang x man wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

So who will be our catcher?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

So who will be our catcher?
Acy Owens JUCO catcher from Hinds Community College
chain gang x man
Swell