More disturbing baseball news

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bearwave
High Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:I don't know the specifics of the program Ross was put on. Maybe you do, but it's hard for me to give a real defense of it without knowing the specifics.

I will say that correlation doesn't imply causation. And I stand by the belief that adding velocity was a good idea.
Adding velocity is good for some but a small increase in velocity can make some people easier to hit; ball flattens out some, they get over confident and think they can throw it by people, and often control suffers. Ross was effective because of command and lack of velocity. He's lost all of that and may not get it back.

Oh, and Gregg Maddux never threw hard.

Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I don't know the specifics of the program Ross was put on. Maybe you do, but it's hard for me to give a real defense of it without knowing the specifics.

I will say that correlation doesn't imply causation. And I stand by the belief that adding velocity was a good idea.
Adding velocity is good for some but a small increase in velocity can make some people easier to hit; ball flattens out some, they get over confident and think they can throw it by people, and often control suffers. Ross was effective because of command and lack of velocity. He's lost all of that and may not get it back.

Exactly. Barth Melius couldn't break a wet paper bag. All he did was get outs.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

TPS, you and I are on the same page on this. Many of our best pitchers were soft tossers with nasty stuff. I've seen too many guys gain a couple mph's and think they were power pitchers, rarely does it turn out good. ULL picked up a lefty from Hahnville this year. Jr year he started trying to overpower guys and his era was going up. He went back to pitching instead of throwing and made all state his last two years. His ball moves a ton but when he tried throwing max speed it flattened out.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:TPS, you and I are on the same page on this. Many of our best pitchers were soft tossers with nasty stuff. I've seen too many guys gain a couple mph's and think they were power pitchers, rarely does it turn out good. ULL picked up a lefty from Hahnville this year. Jr year he started trying to overpower guys and his era was going up. He went back to pitching instead of throwing and made all state his last two years. His ball moves a ton but when he tried throwing max speed it flattened out.
Thank You. When a kid wins 10 games as a freshman and is named All American you don't change a thing. Especially close to the start of the season.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:He was fired. I don't think he's ever been hired as a pitching coach anywhere else.
Nope. Got a pay raise and left on his own. He liked the pro game much better. In fact the after leaving the Rays the Dodgers created a new position just for him.
Besides his time line you got wrong you have no clue about him leaving UH. You're wrong on both counts.
Yep. Fired at Houston. Trying to justify is 5.73 ERA is a joke. Glad he landed on his feet with the Dodgers but glad he didn't come back here. it would have been just as bad as a hire as the one we made.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Greg Maddux scouting report from 1990. "Plus velocity" https://twitter.com/pitchingninja/statu ... 9167553536

In 2001 Barth Melius had the worst ERA on the team at 6.00, gave up the most HR's by a wide margin as well.
He had a good year in 2000 but that was about it. It's possible to do well throwing low velocity, but it's tough to sustain. You have to be perfect every time out and it's just hard to do.

As for the 5.73 ERA being before the new bats and balls, true. But it was still one of our worst ERA's ever including all the gorilla ball years, it was worse than the ERA's of the drop 5 bats.

Clearly I'm not going to change any minds here, not being an overpowering pitcher was working pretty well for Massey. Nobody denies that. It was working for the kid from Oregon St too, but instead of going with your theory of "don't change a thing" he decided he wanted to get better, throw hard and he became the best pitcher in college baseball. If Massey comes out throwing 92-94 next year and is way better than in 2016 will you guys consider that maybe you were wrong?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Greg Maddux scouting report from 1990. "Plus velocity" https://twitter.com/pitchingninja/statu ... 9167553536

In 2001 Barth Melius had the worst ERA on the team at 6.00, gave up the most HR's by a wide margin as well.
He had a good year in 2000 but that was about it. It's possible to do well throwing low velocity, but it's tough to sustain. You have to be perfect every time out and it's just hard to do.

As for the 5.73 ERA being before the new bats and balls, true. But it was still one of our worst ERA's ever including all the gorilla ball years, it was worse than the ERA's of the drop 5 bats.

Clearly I'm not going to change any minds here, not being an overpowering pitcher was working pretty well for Massey. Nobody denies that. It was working for the kid from Oregon St too, but instead of going with your theory of "don't change a thing" he decided he wanted to get better, throw hard and he became the best pitcher in college baseball. If Massey comes out throwing 92-94 next year and is way better than in 2016 will you guys consider that maybe you were wrong?
You work on that stuff over the summer not right before the season begins. Look Pierce would have left him alone. He coached 9 years as Rice pitching coach. Our coaches are learning as they go. I only hope they learn sooner than later.
I'm not here to defend anyone I'm just giving my opinion.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

You work on that stuff over the summer not right before the season begins.
I don't disagree with that. I don't know the specifics of when the program started and ended or what it entailed. We also don't know that this is what caused his problems.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
You work on that stuff over the summer not right before the season begins.
I don't disagree with that. I don't know the specifics of when the program started and ended or what it entailed. We also don't know that this is what caused his problems.
No doubt. Just my opinion. I haven't seen or heard anyone else give an opinion on why he fell off the cliff.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

Bearwave wrote:

Pitcher for Davidson left handed his fastball is 81
Change up is 78
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:He was fired. I don't think he's ever been hired as a pitching coach anywhere else.
Nope. Got a pay raise and left on his own. He liked the pro game much better. In fact the after leaving the Rays the Dodgers created a new position just for him.
Besides his time line you got wrong you have no clue about him leaving UH. You're wrong on both counts.
Yep. Fired at Houston. Trying to justify is 5.73 ERA is a joke. Glad he landed on his feet with the Dodgers but glad he didn't come back here. it would have been just as bad as a hire as the one we made.
Jack is a Tulane alum and great player and a big leaguer was never fired period. In addition to being a top guy with the Dodgers he oversees the great North Shore youth program less than a few miles from my house. Of course you not being a Tulane alum you list wrong the info and try to disparage him. Why did Jewett try to hire him if he couldn't coach? I guess all his time on big league staffs didn't prepare him as much as you who has never played at any level. And also Jewett offered the recruiting coordinator position first to Jake Gautreau but Jake turned it down to stay with The Boris Agency. But in 1 year Jake put together a national class with no financial aid just saying.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Jack is a Tulane alum and great player and a big leaguer was never fired period. In addition to being a top guy with the Dodgers he oversees the great North Shore youth program less than a few miles from my house. Of course you not being a Tulane alum you list wrong the info and try to disparage him. Why did Jewett try to hire him if he couldn't coach? I guess all his time on big league staffs didn't prepare him as much as you who has never played at any level. And also Jewett offered the recruiting coordinator position first to Jake Gautreau but Jake turned it down to stay with The Boris Agency. But in 1 year Jake put together a national class with no financial aid just saying.
Wow, surprised Jake turned down the job. Thanks for the info here tps. I think Billy Jones did a decent job as the hitting coach this year, but it's clear Gaut did a great job recruiting with that 2013 class. Would've liked to have had him back.
Kind of troubling to hear that Jewett missed out on so many assistants and had to go his 2nd choice as hitting coach and at least his 3rd choice for pitching coach.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
LOl. So you have to be a Tulane alum to be a Tulane fan. Most of our fan base aren't alums. He's never been successful as a pitching coach. Deal with it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wow, surprised Jake turned down the job. Thanks for the info here tps. I think Billy Jones did a decent job as the hitting coach this year, but it's clear Gaut did a great job recruiting with that 2013 class. Would've liked to have had him back.
Kind of troubling to hear that Jewett missed out on so many assistants and had to go his 2nd choice as hitting coach and at least his 3rd choice for pitching coach.
Well I give him credit for trying. Unfortunately it happens more than you'd think.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
LOl. So you have to be a Tulane alum to be a Tulane fan. Most of our fan base aren't alums. He's never been successful as a pitching coach. Deal with it.
No but not being a Tulane alum or a player of any kind you feel free to blast great Tulane alums who have skins on the wall and are excelling in their field. Sadly you rarely show loyalty to our own inspite of being on the fan committee. I don't get the hate. I threw out that Jewett wanted Jack to another poster and you proceed to jump in and trash him with misinformation. And oh by the way what were your thoughts when Cressend threw a complete game shutout to win the conference championship in 96?
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

Maybe he should have tried Sutter. I thought he did a better job as pitching coach than Cressend.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Maybe he should have tried Sutter. I thought he did a better job as pitching coach than Cressend.
Chad's out of baseball. He doing real well in industrial sales. Still lives on the Northshore.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No but not being a Tulane alum or a player of any kind you feel free to blast great Tulane alums who have skins on the wall and are excelling in their field. Sadly you rarely show loyalty to our own inspite of being on the fan committee. I don't get the hate. I threw out that Jewett wanted Jack to another poster and you proceed to jump in and trash him with misinformation. And oh by the way what were your thoughts when Cressend threw a complete game shutout to win the conference championship in 96?
Never blasted him . I loved him as a player and like I said I'm glad he landed on his feet. He just didn't cut it as a pitching coach. Trying to defend a 5.73 ERA is ridiculous. Get real. Just b/c someone has a Tulane connection doesn't mean they are going to turn out to be a good coach. Some do, some don't. He didn't. Most good coaches weren't that good of a player. They weren't blessed with ability but understood the mechanics and can teach. You've often introduced me to people and told them I'm a great fan. Nothings changed. I just see things as they are rather than getting blinded by green goggles. BTW, when I jumped in that poster was saying the same thing I did about Jack as far as his abilities as a pitching coach.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Never blasted him . I loved him as a player and like I said I'm glad he landed on his feet. He just didn't cut it as a pitching coach. Trying to defend a 5.73 ERA is ridiculous. Get real. Just b/c someone has a Tulane connection doesn't mean they are going to turn out to be a good coach. Some do, some don't. He didn't. Most good coaches weren't that good of a player. They weren't blessed with ability but understood the mechanics and can teach. You've often introduced me to people and told them I'm a great fan. Nothings changed. I just see things as they are rather than getting blinded by green goggles. BTW, when I jumped in that poster was saying the same thing I did about Jack as far as his abilities as a pitching coach.
So you're pulling for Andy over Lsu?
Try real hard to be honest because I noticed that when he won a regional to get to the sweet 16 you were silent on the board. Just asking
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. Up 3-0. Of course one has nothing to do with the other. Tulane isn't in this game. Of course I hate that he comes from the Manieri coaching tree. :mrgreen:
Last edited by winwave on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Yep. Up 3-0. Of course one has nothing to do with the other. Tulane isn't in this game.
Yes it does that's a Tulane guy who brought you a lot of joy especially June 3 2001 let me say that again Tulane Guy!
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

So is Rick Jones a Tulane guy? So is Travis Jewett a Tulane guy? Just checking. As a graduate, I guess I am allowed to ask because I've got skin in the game along with 4 yrs of my like. :1thumb: Maybe we should support TJ then.
Disappointed Jake passed on the opportunity. But everyone needs to make decisions which make the most sense for themselves. Looks like TJ tried to bring in Tulane guys (according to TPS's comments).
Not sure why this board seems to bash TJ at every opportunity.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:So is Rick Jones a Tulane guy? So is Travis Jewett a Tulane guy? Just checking. As a graduate, I guess I am allowed to ask because I've got skin in the game along with 4 yrs of my like. :1thumb: Maybe we should support TJ then.
Disappointed Jake passed on the opportunity. But everyone needs to make decisions which make the most sense for themselves. Looks like TJ tried to bring in Tulane guys (according to TPS's comments).
Not sure why this board seems to bash TJ at every opportunity.
He's been criticized because this season was one of the worst seasons we've had at Tulane in many years. You know that.
McWave
High Tide

Horrible season. Agreed. Especially the 3-12 or so start. Loses to Columbia, Army, Air Force, 4 straight to SD, etc. All bad. But I don't think I was the only one who questioned recruiting success over the last couple of years even prior to DP departing.
Offense was close to last year (avg, runs, etc). Pitching was way off. Pitching is priority number one to me. (I would have preferred a HC choice who was a pitching coach. Neither Riser, Andy or Travis fit that bill.) c'est la vie. LaFrance had numbers similar to last year. Merills era sky rocketed but was expected to pitch 9 innings each game. Not really his fault. Alex Massey graduated. Ross Massey? I have no idea. Best era (2016) to near the bottom in 2017. Sloesky not bad (freshman). But the transfers and JC's (excluding colletti) were not what they were last year. Too many walks from the games I followed.
I am done talking about it. :beathead: :headbash: :wallbash: Looking forward to the MLB draft. Wish the best for those seeking to leave. Hopefully we get through ok, especially with HS/JC incoming pitching. Then fall ball. Then next season. :fastclap:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The criticism is warranted. We showed we had the talent to beat the better teams on our schedule only to lose to the weaker ones. The season went in the tank before it ever got started. The hole dug was too deep to climb out of. Jewett came in with the mindset to change everything. Pierce came in just wanting to win. I think with the huge size of our Sr class that was a big mistake. They've had 4 or 5 different HC's over their 4 years if you count Chad Sutter year.
Jewett lacked HC experience and it showed. He was learning on the job. Pierce came in with HC experience and it showed. We can only hope Jewett can recruit and turn it around and that he's learned enough to get us back to a regional next season.
Tulane Class of 1981