Truth about stacking-Finally

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

For years now we have been told that TULANE refuses by their own choice not to stack baseball money and need based aid. Turns out it's not Tulane's doing. The NCAA does not allow it. In a recent interview w/Jewett by Guerry Smith he was asked about stacking and here's his answer:

Is it true that Tulane does not allow you to stack academic and baseball scholarship combined for players, forcing them to choose one or the other and pay the rest?

"That is not true. The NCAA allows institutions to package academics and baseball, so you can have one or the other or you can have both, but what you can't do, and what everybody's frustration is, you can't couple financial aid with baseball. That's the NCAA tango with those two things."

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Schools like Vandy, Stanford, and Rice have a decided advantage in baseball because of the gigantic endowments relative to size of student body, Tulane is not in that class. I've always said our high tuition really hurts us. In order to be permissible, a school can only offer aid to players on the same basis that it is offered to the entire student body. Otherwise, it would be against NCAA rules.
So Vanderbilt, Rice, and Stanford all give need based financial aid to every student enrolled - you basically pay only what you can afford. This allows them to draw from a pool of talent that Tulane just can't. Tulane has to spread the 11.7 scholarships around and then find kids whose parents can afford to pay that big tuition amount.
Not sure why need stacking isn't allowed but it really would help out high tuition private schools with a small endowment like Tulane. I was always told that stacking was only allowed for academic money and not need based. Just because it's a NCAA "tango" (if that's true? I'd like to see the NCAA link please on that) it still has a great impact on Tulane as compared to Vandy. Just about every Vandy player goes free. Jewett would not have to do much of anything to get kids in financially speaking. At Tulane he's going to have to find the 3 P's (Pass, Pay, and Play). Vandy only needs 2 P's (Pass and Play). That's where the biggest obstacle lies. And that's only compared to privates. Tulane is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to public's with lower tuition and lower academic admission requirements. Every year tuition went up it became that more difficult to make the 11.7 work. In our case need based stacking would have greatly helped in that regard. The complaints of the past were that Tulane refused to try to do something to bridge the rising tuition gap to better compete with those three privates. (One suggestion was to create minority scholarships like Rice has). But nothing in that area has been done at this point. Pierce had a difficult time navigating the financial aid part. At Rice it was no problem and at SHS it wasn't an issue. At Tulane he lost out on 3 quality players to FSU because of our high tuition. That's just 3 I know about. I'm sure they were more.
Rick Jones would be the first to tell you that his job was much easier when Tulane's tuition was $25,000 vs $50,000.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

winwave wrote:For years now we have been told that TULANE refuses by their own choice not to stack baseball money and need based aid. Turns out it's not Tulane's doing. The NCAA does not allow it. In a recent interview w/Jewett by Guerry Smith he was asked about stacking and here's his answer:

Is it true that Tulane does not allow you to stack academic and baseball scholarship combined for players, forcing them to choose one or the other and pay the rest?

"That is not true. The NCAA allows institutions to package academics and baseball, so you can have one or the other or you can have both, but what you can't do, and what everybody's frustration is, you can't couple financial aid with baseball. That's the NCAA tango with those two things."
Thanks for posting! Link?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Schools like Vandy, Stanford, and Rice have a decided advantage in baseball because of the gigantic endowments relative to size of student body, Tulane is not in that class. I've always said our high tuition really hurts us. In order to be permissible, a school can only offer aid to players on the same basis that it is offered to the entire student body. Otherwise, it would be against NCAA rules.
So Vanderbilt, Rice, and Stanford all give need based financial aid to every student enrolled - you basically pay only what you can afford. This allows them to draw from a pool of talent that Tulane just can't. Tulane has to spread the 11.7 scholarships around and then find kids whose parents can afford to pay that big tuition amount.
Not sure why need stacking isn't allowed but it really would help out high tuition private schools with a small endowment like Tulane. I was always told that stacking was only allowed for academic money and not need based. Just because it's a NCAA "tango" (if that's true? I'd like to see the NCAA link please on that) it still has a great impact on Tulane as compared to Vandy. Just about every Vandy player goes free. Jewett would not have to do much of anything to get kids in financially speaking. At Tulane he's going to have to find the 3 P's (Pass, Pay, and Play). Vandy only needs 2 P's (Pass and Play). That's where the biggest obstacle lies. And that's only compared to privates. Tulane is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to public's with lower tuition and lower academic admission requirements. Every year tuition went up it became that more difficult to make the 11.7 work. In our case need based stacking would have greatly helped in that regard. The complaints of the past were that Tulane refused to try to do something to bridge the rising tuition gap to better compete with those three privates. (One suggestion was to create minority scholarships like Rice has). But nothing in that area has been done at this point. Pierce had a difficult time navigating the financial aid part. At Rice it was no problem and at SHS it wasn't an issue. At Tulane he lost out on 3 quality players to FSU because of our high tuition. That's just 3 I know about. I'm sure they were more.
Rick Jones would be the first to tell you that his job was much easier when Tulane's tuition was $25,000 vs $50,000.
That's a long winded attempt to avoid the fact that you participated in misleading our fan base for years on this issue. Jewett was the recruiting coordinator at Vandy for 4 years and he's the HC here. He knows the rules. If you want to call him a liar go see him and tell him so. Everyone does not go to school free at places like Vandy. They just don't. Again stop misleading people. As for the lack of endowment everyone here is aware of that. Every job has its obstacles. It's the HC's job to figure it out. Just 4 years ago we had a class that many rave about but now they say we can't recruit. Sorry that doesn't add up.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Schools like Vandy, Stanford, and Rice have a decided advantage in baseball because of the gigantic endowments relative to size of student body, Tulane is not in that class. I've always said our high tuition really hurts us. In order to be permissible, a school can only offer aid to players on the same basis that it is offered to the entire student body. Otherwise, it would be against NCAA rules.
That's a long winded attempt to avoid the fact that you participated in misleading our fan base for years on this issue. Jewett was the recruiting coordinator at Vandy for 4 years and he's the HC here. He knows the rules. If you want to call him a liar go see him and tell him so. Everyone does not go to school free at places like Vandy. They just don't. Again stop misleading people. As for the lack of endowment everyone here is aware of that. Every job has its obstacles. It's the HC's job to figure it out. Just 4 years ago we had a class that many rave about but now they say we can't recruit. Sorry that doesn't add up.
Don't put words in my mouth. I asked a for a link. Never called anyone a liar. Never said everyone goes for free at Vandy. I've always said need based aid isn't stacked and you've just made my point. The bottom line is as tuition rose and rules changed over the years it just became more difficult to manage. Doesn't mean impossible. It's just less likely you can put together a top 20 class. Tulane promised but didn't do anything about it to help alleviate that burden. Jewett would happily tell you financially recruiting to Vandy is easier than financially recruiting to Tulane. It's a shame that any coach has to deal with this because they have enough on their plate already. They should be able to offer rather than negotiate scholarships.
Waiting for your link.
We already had this discussion here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9581&p=161914&hilit ... ps#p161914
Watch this. Especially 36 second mark until the end.
Scott Kushner
phpBB [video]

Travis Jewett. 7:05mark but talks about the financial aspects starting at 19:58. Talks about needing kids that can play and afford it. Etc. Gave Troy the financial formula he needs to give us the best chance of getting back to Omaha.
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

2015 Endowment Rank and Values:

Rice #20 $5.56 billion
Vanderbilt #23 $4.13 billion

Tulane #72 $1.22 billion

The endowment size is not going to change (relative) anytime soon. So I suspect the financial challenge will be there for a long time.

Some others.

Stanford #5 $22.72 billion
Notre Dame #12 $8.57 billion
Duke #15 $7.30 billion

I thought Cowen's expertise was fund raising. Apparently not.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote:2015 Endowment Rank and Values:

Rice #20 $5.56 billion

Tulane #72 $1.22 billion

The endowment size is not going to change (relative) anytime soon. So I suspect the financial challenge will be there for a long time.

Some others.

Duke #15 $7.30 billion

Right. Something has to be done for baseball in a way that can bridge that gap. Those schools have an distinctive advantage in that they can offer a much larger need based aid. When tuition was much lower and transfers were allowed to play immediately that helped ease the burden on coaches. Once tuition skyrocketed and the transfers had to sit out a year and pay tuition waiting that really killed us. (They're be no Micah Owings today) There was talk about allowing need based stacking or creating a minority type scholarship similar to what Rice has but at this point nothing has been done in that regard.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
Don't put words in my mouth. I asked a for a link. Never called anyone a liar. Never said everyone goes for free at Vandy. I've always said need based aid isn't stacked and you've just made my point. The bottom line is as tuition rose and rules changed over the years it just became more difficult to manage. Doesn't mean impossible. It's just less likely you can put together a top 20 class. Tulane promised but didn't do anything about it to help alleviate that burden. Jewett would happily tell you financially recruiting to Vandy is easier than financially recruiting to Tulane. It's a shame that any coach has to deal with this because they have enough on their plate already. They should be able to offer rather than negotiate scholarships.
Waiting for your link.
We already had this discussion here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9581&p=161914&hilit ... ps#p161914
Watch this. Especially 36 second mark until the end.
Scott Kushner
phpBB [video]

Travis Jewett. 7:05mark but talks about the financial aspects starting at 19:58. Talks about needing kids that can play and afford it. Etc. Gave Troy the financial formula he needs to give us the best chance of getting back to Omaha.
phpBB [video]
You more than anyone has gone on these sites for years and told everyone that TULANE refused to allow need based aid to baseball players. That is the topic here. Turns out that's not true. The Head Baseball Coach at Tulane said it's not true. He said NCAA rules don't allow it. So you're either saying he's lying or too stupid to know the rules. Like I said above he was the recruiting coordinator for 4 years at Vandy, a private. He's now the HC at Tulane another private. He knows what he's talking about. As for the other pots of money no one has ever disagreed that the pots at Tulane are smaller. However players always have received money in addition to their baseball money. It is tougher at Tulane and we all wish it weren't so but it is. It always has been and always will be. That's the coaches job to figure out.

As for SK he was wrong on several things. Now that only 27 guys can get scholarship money most are getting close to 50% not 25%. Secondly the tuition is not 62k. It's about 20k less. He also is wrong when he says they give need based aid as we now know that isn't allowed.

As for Jewett I watched it when it first aired. He says there that he told his assistants not to feel bad for these families that they are going to pay some as they get a lot in return- the 4 for 40 mantra that schools like Tulane have used forever as a sales pitch. Let's hope he's successful with his approach.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurker123
Swell

Rice #20 $5.56 billion

Tulane #72 $1.22 billion

Some others.

Duke #15 $7.30 billion

Another useful perspective on this is endowment per student. Rice in particular dwarfs Tulane on that measure since its student body is so much smaller than Tulane.

Tulane has always had a relatively large student body for a premier private institution. Probably part of the reason is because it relies more on tuition to pay the bills and less on endowment. It has to have a large student body to operate effectively.

As concerns Rick Jones, I've never understood the crocodile tears I see regularly shed around here. Some of the posters here seem to forget that for years he had four, six or even more players on full legislative or mayoral scholarships. So he may have had in effect as many as 20 full scholarships to work with. Not a bad deal. So in fact he was very competitive with TOPS and other aid mechanisms used by Tulane's competitors. Results showed on the field.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

Rice #20 $5.56 billion

Tulane #72 $1.22 billion

Some others.

Duke #15 $7.30 billion

Right. Something has to be done for baseball in a way that can bridge that gap. Those schools have an distinctive advantage in that they can offer a much larger need based aid. When tuition was much lower and transfers were allowed to play immediately that helped ease the burden on coaches. Once tuition skyrocketed and the transfers had to sit out a year and pay tuition waiting that really killed us. (They're be no Micah Owings today) There was talk about allowing need based stacking or creating a minority type scholarship similar to what Rice has but at this point nothing has been done in that regard.
They can't give need based aid per NCAA rules. That's been put to rest.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Rice #20 $5.56 billion

Tulane #72 $1.22 billion

Some others.

Duke #15 $7.30 billion

They can't give need based aid per NCAA rules. That's been put to rest.
I've never said otherwise.
Here's what I know and have said.
Academic + Need Base is allowed
Academic + Athletic is allowed
Need Base + Athletic is not allowed
I never said this was self imposed. I said Tulane does nothing to overcome the fact that you can't stack need based like other privates currently do.
Vandy, Rice and Stanford offer up to 100% need base.
Tulane offers up to only 80% need base. (And that include loans)
Vandy and Rice both have minority scholarships
(Vandy had 5 minority's on their CWS team that went free)
Tulane has no such scholarships

Stanford and others give travel money up to $10,000 $15,000 per year (allows student athletes to fly back and forth from home over the holidays etc. and if it's not needed it is pocketed.)

Tulane doesn't provide for this.
In the past we've been told Tulane was going do something to become more like the top privates but nothing has been done to overcome the differences in need base amongst those schools.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said Tulane fans have been told for a long time now that the not giving of need based aid was a Tulane decision that they could easily reverse on their own. We now know that's not the case. Your post on the topic of need based aid over the years did follow that line. As for not being as generous with academic and other pots of money that has been known and unfortunately it continues with no end in sight. Tulane claims to be on a 10 year fundraising campaign to increase the endowment by a Billion. Have to hope that's very successful.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Like I said Tulane fans have been told for a long time now that the not giving of need based aid was a Tulane decision that they could easily reverse on their own. We now know that's not the case. Your post on the topic of need based aid over the years did follow that line. As for not being as generous with academic and other pots of money that has been known and unfortunately it continues with no end in sight. Tulane claims to be on a 10 year fundraising campaign to increase the endowment by a Billion. Have to hope that's very successful.
Not from me. I've always said the big tuition was the killer. I've said Tulane does nothing to overcome the fact that you can't stack need based like other privates currently do.
(Meaning Tulane does nothing, while Vandy, Rice and Stanford do other things to overcome that rule) I can see how you may have misunderstood this statement.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well it has certainly been said many times over the years that it was a decision made by Tulane. Now we know that's not the case. Even your last post you use that need based language. That needs to be cleaned up so as to avoid future confusion. It is other types of aid that those w/larger endowments give.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'd like to also clear up some misinformation about Legislature Scholarships.
Prior to 1993 they were given out like candy.
In 1993 the Mayor of New Orleans was exposed giving his son that attended St Aug one. That opened a can of worms. Just about then Rick Jones had just been hired by the AD at the time Kevin White. White told RJ not to even mention the "L" word in the Wilson Center and those scholarships would not be available to him as they were to the previous coaches.
They 2001 CWS team had one player on it. The 2005 CWS team had zero players on it. It is an NCAA violation for any coach or athletic staff to contact a Legislator requesting one for a student athlete. Only the player and parent can solicit that. An article was written in 2012 that revisited the legislative scholarships. At the time the report stated that seven baseball players on the team had legislative scholarships.
Here's the details that weren't reported.
Three students that had them were walk-ons. They had already been in school and had them first then walked on the baseball team in the Spring. They never contributed. Of the other players 2 were already on academic aid. Their parents contacted their legislators and were able to replace their academic aid with the LS since it covered more financially but only the tuition part. Only one player was on baseball money that ended up getting a LS.
It is an NCAA violation for coach Jewett to solicit on behalf any player. Only a parent or a student athlete can initiate any action.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Well it has certainly been said many times over the years that it was a decision made by Tulane. Now we know that's not the case. Even your last post you use that need based language. That needs to be cleaned up so as to avoid future confusion. It is other types of aid that those w/larger endowments give.
I'm not disputing that. I can however understand it being misconstrued. I've always said Tulane didn't do what others have done to overcome the problem of need based stacking not being allowed. Minority scholarships were mentioned but never implemented.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Need to clear up one more thing about complaints that David Pierce didn't recruit.
DP had his hands tied. In order to sign that 2013 Top 20 class Tulane had to tie up all of its 11.7 scholarships for the next 4 years. Pierce had no money to work with without kids quitting, signing or transferring out. The 11.7 is the total amount of scholarships available for each year. So if you signed a great large freshman class those 11.7 scholarships stay with those kids the entire time they are here. Sean Allen got frustrated with the entire process and took an assistant job at Alabama. Once Pierce got the Texas job he jumped right back in with him. Bottom line is that Pierce had no baseball money to work with. I hope people can understand why Tulane needs to help these coaches out. Jewett is going to face the same deal. Only now with all those Sr's leaving has money been freed up.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to legislative scholarships they are still available. While the coach can't contact a legislator he can certainly direct a player to and his family to it. Big Country would be a player that certainly could have garnered one if made aware. As for saying those players didn't contribute that would be insulting to Braud . He did play some and he did directly contribute to some wins.

Everyone knows there is an 11.7 limit. We got into a bad situation 8 years ago with signing a huge class and then didn't have money till 4 years later. We then did it again 4 years ago. So here we are again signing a big class. Hopefully TJ's approach of mixing in JUCO's helps alleviate that problem.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In case anyone is still confused let it be clear that Tulane does stack other aid w/baseball money. All schools have different pots available and as long as it is available to all the players can get it. Due to the low endowment Tulane is not as generous when doling out money from those accounts as other schools are but they do dole it out. So players do get more than their baseball money in most cases. If anyone tells you Tulane doesn't stack they are lying to you.
Bearwave
High Tide

winwave wrote:"That is not true. The NCAA allows institutions to package academics and baseball, so you can have one or the other or you can have both, but what you can't do, and what everybody's frustration is, you can't couple financial aid with baseball. That's the NCAA tango with those two things."
So what many privates do for every kid who is accepted (athlete or not)they award money based on ACT/SAT scores so it's an academic award; for baseball they then add that to the baseball amount and makes it much more affordable. You just can't add financial need based on top of those.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:As to legislative scholarships they are still available. While the coach can't contact a legislator he can certainly direct a player to and his family to it. Big Country would be a player that certainly could have garnered one if made aware. As for saying those players didn't contribute that would be insulting to Braud . He did play some and he did directly contribute to some wins.

Everyone knows there is an 11.7 limit. We got into a bad situation 8 years ago with signing a huge class and then didn't have money till 4 years later. We then did it again 4 years ago. So here we are again signing a big class. Hopefully TJ's approach of mixing in JUCO's helps alleviate that problem.
Yes. I didnt want to mention names. Matt had 3 hits in 4 years. 2 came his Sr year which helped contribute. Sorry Matt fellow Blue Jay and Greenie.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You said he was one that didn't play at all. One of those hits was a home run that contributed to a win and he played in other games and contributed. Sorry you want to demean his contribution that way.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:You said he was one that didn't play at all. One of those hits was a home run that contributed to a win and he played in other games and contributed. Sorry you want to demean his contribution that way.
Quit making up stuff. I never mentioned names on purpose. I said "contribute". I never said they didn't play at all. That's your words. I've since given him credit since you mentioned his name.
You need to quit lying about what I said. We can go on all day but don't misquote me.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:You said he was one that didn't play at all. One of those hits was a home run that contributed to a win and he played in other games and contributed. Sorry you want to demean his contribution that way.
Quit making up stuff. I never mentioned names on purpose. I said "contribute". I never said they didn't play at all. That's your words. I just added that since you mentioned his name.
Their names were posted in a thread long ago about this topic. You said he didn't contribute. He did.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Quit making up stuff. I never mentioned names on purpose. I said "contribute". I never said they didn't play at all. That's your words. I just added that since you mentioned his name.
Their names were posted in a thread long ago about this topic. You said he didn't contribute. He did.
Yes. I've since recognized that.
Tulane Class of 1981