The economics of baseball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Only a very few can make it profitable:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... b08c1.html
Last edited by winwave on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Only a very few can make it profitable:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... b08c1.html
Tulane at one point was in that number. Probably no longer though.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We were in it briefly but haven't been in it in a long time.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Economic's
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Oops. : :oops:
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

great article! its not about profit.....we already know baseball doesnt make money. 95% of them don't. But if it was about profit, then we wouldn't have womens sports or even mens basketball. We can make money at baseball....we have made money at baseball and we are one of the select few in the country that can. When we were the #1 program, it was the hottest ticket in town.
We just need the right administration and i'm not sure we have it.
Jaxwave
Swell

Show Me wrote:Economic's
Economics
Show Me
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Economic's
Economics
:oops:
OMG "ya know". :lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Make up your minds already. :mrgreen:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote:great article! its not about profit.....we already know baseball doesnt make money. 95% of them don't. But if it was about profit, then we wouldn't have womens sports or even mens basketball. We can make money at baseball....we have made money at baseball and we are one of the select few in the country that can. When we were the #1 program, it was the hottest ticket in town.
It's a hell of a lot easier to make money on men's basketball than baseball. The problem is it requires winning to do so. We haven't fielded a team that wins regularly in this century. Make the NCAA tournament regularly and the team will be in the black. For baseball, the team needs to be better than just an NCAA tournament team. Baseball isn't anywhere close to as popular nationally as basketball, and there's nowhere near the $$ rewards for making the tournament.

We were the #1 team due to a transfer from GaTech. Yes, the team was talented outside of Micah Owings, but without him we were simply another top 10-15 team. He was at Tulane for one year, and it was a magical season with a tragic ending. It remains to be seen if Tulane can build a program as talented as that one was given how different the rules are now versus then.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:great article! its not about profit.....we already know baseball doesnt make money. 95% of them don't. But if it was about profit, then we wouldn't have womens sports or even mens basketball. We can make money at baseball....we have made money at baseball and we are one of the select few in the country that can. When we were the #1 program, it was the hottest ticket in town.
It's a hell of a lot easier to make money on men's basketball than baseball. The problem is it requires winning to do so. We haven't fielded a team that wins regularly in this century. Make the NCAA tournament regularly and the team will be in the black. For baseball, the team needs to be better than just an NCAA tournament team. Baseball isn't anywhere close to as popular nationally as basketball, and there's nowhere near the $$ rewards for making the tournament.

We were the #1 team due to a transfer from GaTech. Yes, the team was talented outside of Micah Owings, but without him we were simply another top 10-15 team. He was at Tulane for one year, and it was a magical season with a tragic ending. It remains to be seen if Tulane can build a program as talented as that one was given how different the rules are now versus then.
Baseball at Tulane is the only men's sport with a winning tradition. The rules changed but Tulane admin failed to change with them. I doubt you'll ever see any Tulane team ranked number 1 in the nation that long in any sport.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What's really changed is that many more programs with much greater resources are trying now. For a long time we were one of the few really putting resources and effort into winning in baseball. Thus we had a legitimate chance to win a NC. Unfortunately I believe that window is now closed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:What's really changed is that many more programs with much greater resources are trying now. For a long time we were one of the few really putting resources and effort into winning in baseball. Thus we had a legitimate chance to win a NC. Unfortunately I believe that window is now closed.
So SELA has greater resources than Tulane?
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Did I say anything about SELA winning a NC? They haven't done anything once they got there yet. I'm talking about our program trying to win a NC. Many bigger schools with resources are now trying and that hurts us immensely.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:What's really changed is that many more programs with much greater resources are trying now. For a long time we were one of the few really putting resources and effort into winning in baseball. Thus we had a legitimate chance to win a NC. Unfortunately I believe that window is now closed.
So SELA has greater resources?
It's not a resources issues IMO. SELA in state tuition is about $9k a year in state and $20k out of state with an acceptance rate of 85%. Add in Topps and they have a much easier time than TU.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Agreed. The only way that Tulane could rebuild truly sustainable elite baseball is if Tulane raises its endowment to the point where it guarantees that it meets 100% of need for all students, and, considering the size of the endowments and the enrollment/academic programs that the other universities have that make that guarantee, it appears as though Tulane needs at least $3 billion in order to achieve that. As an added bonus, Tulane with a $3 billion endowment would be able to virtually purchase a top ~20 us news ranking.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

When Tulane's tuition was in the $20-$30K range we were able to fill the roster with top talent. Once the transfer rule changed along with the huge rise in tuition made it much more difficult to get the top recruits to pay when they could go somewhere else for much less. Jewett is going to have to overcome those challenges if he's going to take us back to the CWS.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
It's not a resources issues IMO. SELA in state tuition is about $9k a year in state and $20k out of state with an acceptance rate of 85%. Add in Topps and they have a much easier time than TU.
I've always said our tuition is our biggest obstacle. Only 11.7 baseball scholarships on a 35 man roster of which 1/3 are pitchers that only play once a week.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mba- my point is that back when we got the original Turchin built we were one of the few schools trying in baseball and putting resources into it. In time we put even more resources in. We did even better. Now many schools that weren't trying are and so our chances at winning it all have been greatly diminished if not eliminated.

As for tuition and stacking first off it's always been an issue. People go on about how good this senior class was yet they want to say we can't recruit. That doesn't compute. Secondly Tulane does stack it just doesn't stack everything. Then you have the fact that quality of education does actually matter to some and they are willing to pay. Jewett said he has a plan for that. That probably tipped the scales in his favor. We'll know soon enough.

As for schools like SELA they were helped greatly by the rule changes. Schools like LSU used to have unlimited rosters and could give a kid say a 5% scholarship b/c they thought he might have potential. They'd sign a bunch like that every year. The kid could run around saying he signed a scholarship w/LSU. LSU got to check him out up close for a year and then run him off if their evaluation was wrong. Sometimes they were right. The NCAA then imposed the 35 man roster limit and limited scholarship money to 27 players. They also have to give each one at least 25 %. So they can't hoard the talent anymore and those kids end up at places like SELA.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Didn't we go 6 or 7 seasons without a NCAA tournament appearance after Turchin was built? Or was it longer? Katrina happened in 2005, and the major renovations were postponed until 2006-07 if memory serves.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Didn't we go 6 or 7 seasons without a NCAA tournament appearance after Turchin was built? Or was it longer? Katrina happened in 2005, and the major renovations were postponed until 2006-07 if memory serves.
We went in 2008.We went 9 straight before that outside of the 2007. Missed out from 2009 until we went back in 2015.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:Did I say anything about SELA winning a NC? They haven't done anything once they got there yet. I'm talking about our program trying to win a NC. Many bigger schools with resources are now trying and that hurts us immensely.
So Coastal Carolina has greater resources?
People go on about how good this senior class was yet they want to say we can't recruit. That doesn't compute.
It's possible to put together a good class, but it's harder than it has to be. That's the only good class we've had in a while.

BTW, Davidson is in a Super Regional this year. 60K tuition and the baseball program is only allowed to use 3 scholarships.
Pepper
Swell

BTW, Davidson is in a Super Regional this year. 60K tuition and the baseball program is only allowed to use 3 scholarships.[/quote]

I read somewhere they meet 100 percent of all students’ calculated need through grants and work-study funds.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:Did I say anything about SELA winning a NC? They haven't done anything once they got there yet. I'm talking about our program trying to win a NC. Many bigger schools with resources are now trying and that hurts us immensely.
People go on about how good this senior class was yet they want to say we can't recruit. That doesn't compute.
It's possible to put together a good class, but it's harder than it has to be. That's the only good class we've had in a while.

BTW, Davidson is in a Super Regional this year. 60K tuition and the baseball program is only allowed to use 3 scholarships.
Coastal didn't make it this year. They were a great story but they are not a regular power. The fact is we were putting resources in when many others weren't. They didn't have the facilities we had. Now they are putting resources in and have built the facilities.It makes it a whole lot tougher.

As for recruiting it is tougher than it has to be but it always has been. That's why I say the bigger difference is so many more schools now actually trying in this sport.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Coastal didn't make it this year. They were a great story but they are not a regular power. The fact is we were putting resources in when many others weren't. They didn't have the facilities we had. Now they are putting resources in and have built the facilities.It makes it a whole lot tougher.

As for recruiting it is tougher than it has to be but it always has been. That's why I say the bigger difference is so many more schools now actually trying in this sport.
Trying? Not sure I buy into that. The biggest change is football money. The P5 schools have so much they are spending it every way they can. Schools now see baseball as another way to make money. Miss St is planning on spending $55 million on its baseball program. Cannizaro might just have the best job in the country with that infusion. Tulane was just ahead of the game making an early commitment as was LSU. Traditional baseball powers Texas and USC would argue with you. Warm weather teams have always had an advantage in baseball. Rick Jones was Tulane's first full time coach. Brockoff won and he was a partime coach.
Last edited by Show Me on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.