Q & A with Coach Jewett

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

https://twitter.com/willguillory/status ... 9290688513

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
kingcole
Low Tide

Hard to get info from him. Still don't know a thing about the bull pen whose on top their game who starts in LF or DH.
chain gang x man
Swell

chain gang x man
Swell

shares
By William Guillory

NOLA.com The Times- Picayune

Travis Jewett says there are a lot of things that he will take away from his first season as Tulane's baseball coach, but the one thing he will never forget was coaching the group of seniors that just completed their final year with the Green Wave.

Tulane came into 2017 with high hopes and a roster filled with veteran talent, but the team got off to a 3-12 start and eventually ended the year with a disappointing 27-31 record after dropping both of its games in last week's American Athletic Conference Tournament.

It took Jewett some time to adjust to his new team, but he said he had an experienced group that could "drive the bus" at times after dealing with their third coach in the past four years.

"I'm going to miss those older guys, they gave us everything they could," Jewett said. "Even though I'm much older than them, they have a lot more experience at this place with what they've done. I think everybody just did a good job of trying to adapt to each other and really understand the situation.

"I was grateful for the way they helped show me the way as a first-year coach and I respect those guys a great deal."

Getting off to such a rocky start to begin the season and the Green Wave's inability to find consistency among the pitching staff led to the school's second losing season since 1993, and Jewett must now begin the rebuilding process with much of his roster departing.

Among the graduates this for Tulane are seven different position players (Hunter Williams, Grant Brown, Jake Willsey, Hunter Hope, Jeremy Montalbano, Jarret DeHart and Lex Kaplan), both of the team's top starting pitchers (Corey Merrill and J.P. France) and closer Christian Colletti.

"Obviously this wasn't the way anybody wanted this year to end, but that group of guys have done some incredible things," Jewett said. "We're going to be looking for new leadership and there are going to be places all over the field where we're going to have new people. It's going to be a challenge because you don't take a group with that much experience and talent and replace it overnight."

Maybe the loss that will hurt the most will be the departure of Williams, who was named the AAC's Co-Player of the Year, along with Houston's Jake Scheiner, following the regular season.

Williams ended 2017 leading the AAC in hits (87), finishing second in both batting average (.357) and doubles (18) and sixth in home runs (11).

He ended his career with 23 home runs, 186 hits, 102 RBIs and 89 runs scored.

"He had a heck of a year and he's such a good kid with everything that he does," Jewett said. "There's room for him on any championship team, culture or organization. I was just really happy for him to have the success that he had this year."

After taking over a team with so many veterans, Jewett said that now he looks forward to the challenge next year of building the Green Wave program around his identity with a younger and inexperienced group.

The Tulane coaching staff is looking to build a recruiting class with a good balance of younger players that they can develop and junior college prospects that can step in and contribute immediately.

"We have to find some guys that can come in and make an impact for us next year," Jewett said. "We're trying to layer the roster correctly so we're in a good place moving forward and we have a lot of spots to fill, so we need to do a good job."
Dave breslin
Swell

I haven't been on this media outlet for some time. I do hope they're going to get their act together and bring us back to respectability. Jewett seems to have the right charisma but will that relate to coaching and winning. That's something that's been lacking at TU for an awful long time. I wish him and the program luck. But it's time to start to get this whole rigamarole out of the cowdick funk and be either a respectable D1 program or get off the pot. And would those that bitch slap others on this --please stop. We know that there are a holes but we all want the same thing
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Great write up by guillory. I have faith in you coach jewett! Yes the season did not end the way we wanted, but now that it's over and all our players are gone, we need the best recruiter in the business. We all need to get on board, he's our skipper! His track record says its him, we just need to be patient for couple more years and let him work his magic! He's won the CWS and that's what we want to do. Recruit recruit recruit, we are pulling for you.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:Great write up by guillory. I have faith in you coach jewett! Yes the season did not end the way we wanted, but now that it's over and all our players are gone, we need the best recruiter in the business. We all need to get on board, he's our skipper! His track record says its him, we just need to be patient for couple more years and let him work his magic! He's won the CWS and that's what we want to do. Recruit recruit recruit, we are pulling for you.
Great write up? Nobody learned a single bit of information from that write up.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

"I was grateful for the way they helped show me the way as a first-year coach and I respect those guys a great deal." :o
Pepper
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:"I was grateful for the way they helped show me the way as a first-year coach and I respect those guys a great deal." :o
Embarrassing.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Show Me
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:"I was grateful for the way they helped show me the way as a first-year coach and I respect those guys a great deal." :o
Embarrassing.
"Show Me". Coach Jewett learning on the job at the expense of all. Pierce was a proven HC. No one had to show him the way. Sad Tulane fans are having to pay hard earned money while a coach learns the game from his players. Apparently years on the job as an assistant hadn't helped.