Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:If tailgating is meaningless, tell that to the 10,000 folks that show up (13,000 vs. 3000) for games that didn't show for the games in the Dome. Tell that to the alumni that used to come into town and ignore the fact that Tulane was playing a football game, and maybe not even visit campus on a fall weekend.

It is absolutely meaningless to the recruits. But not to the Tulane community. On Campus is where college football should be played. Win games. It can be done, regardless of where they play.

You have been to a game or two? There were never 10,000 at the tailgating and now it's in the low hundreds at best. We have students arguing with other students over the noise it causes. It won't drive up the endowment. As for game attendance we are back to the same 2-3,000 that went to the Dome . So like I said it is meaningless. For us true diehards we had plenty of fun truly tailgating at the Dome. Real fans talking Tulane football. Yes in an ideal world college fottbal should be on campus. But if the space isn't there to build a legit stadium you don't do it. Tulane had a great situation with a world renowned stadium just 5 minutes up Claiborne. It just had to do its job and it didn't.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If tailgating is meaningless, tell that to the 10,000 folks that show up (13,000 vs. 3000) for games that didn't show for the games in the Dome. Tell that to the alumni that used to come into town and ignore the fact that Tulane was playing a football game, and maybe not even visit campus on a fall weekend.

It is absolutely meaningless to the recruits. But not to the Tulane community. On Campus is where college football should be played. Win games. It can be done, regardless of where they play.

You have been to a game or two? There were never 10,000 at the tailgating and now it's in the low hundreds at best. We have students arguing with other students over the noise it causes. It won't drive up the endowment. As for game attendance we are back to the same 2-3,000 that went to the Dome . So like I said it is meaningless. For us true diehards we had plenty of fun truly tailgating at the Dome. Real fans talking Tulane football. Yes in an ideal world college fottbal should be on campus. But if the space isn't there to build a legit stadium you don't do it. Tulane had a great situation with a world renowned stadium just 5 minutes up Claiborne. It just had to do its job and it didn't.
There are usually several thousand students at the tailgating. I'm specifically referring to the Temple game where they packed the area between the UC and Jones Hall like a parade ground during Mardi Gras when they weren't migrating to and from the Boot. Since they principally do not use the UC quad perhaps you have not noticed them but they are there. Too bad many skip the game but they don't skip the party.

We are not even close to what things were like in the Dome from an actual body count. But if you want to bash Tulane for bad attendance in a top class college facility by any measure, let's talk about actual body counts in Turchin for the last few home games of this season. Those were truly crowds of a couple of hundred parents, girl friends and die hards. No other fans. It was like going to a UNO game on its campus. Sorry but it's about the losing regardless of the sport. Period.

Finally your continuous and uninterrupted narrative is that Yulman is bad for football recruiting. Why don't you go ask the HC directly for his view on this? I have and you won't like his answer.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

There are usually several thousand students at the tailgating. I'm specifically referring to the Temple game where they packed the area between the UC and Jones Hall like a parade ground during Mardi Gras when they weren't migrating to and from the Boot. Since they principally do not use the UC quad perhaps you have not noticed them but they are there. Too bad many skip the game but they don't skip the party.

We are not even close to what things were like in the Dome from an actual body count. But if you want to bash Tulane for bad attendance in a top class college facility by any measure, let's talk about actual body counts in Turchin for the last few home games of this season. Those were truly crowds of a couple of hundred parents, girl friends and die hards. No other fans. It was like going to a UNO game on its campus. Sorry but it's about the losing regardless of the sport. Period.

Finally your continuous and uninterrupted narrative is that Yulman is bad for football recruiting. Why don't you go ask the HC directly for his view on this? I have and you won't like his answer.
We'll have to agree to disagree as to the number of students at the tailgating area. I went by several times last season and the number was in the hundreds not thousands. We'll also have to agree to disagree on the actual attendance numbers. They have dwindled back down to what we had before. We certainly disagree on it being a top class facility.

Attendance is about the losing. The losing is about recruiting.

I have heard him say that. First off what do you want him to say? It's a fucking joke and I have no chance in recruiting so then you can repeat that on a message board. Seriously. More importantly do you believe in everything every coach we have had says? Sorry the results speak for themselves. But you just keep getting offended. It's what you do.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree as to the number of students at the tailgating area. I went by several times last season and the number was in the hundreds not thousands. We'll also have to agree to disagree on the actual attendance numbers. They have dwindled back down to what we had before. We certainly disagree on it being a top class facility.

Attendance is about the losing. The losing is about recruiting.

I have heard him say that. First off what do you want him to say? It's a f**cking joke and I have no chance in recruiting so then you can repeat that on a message board. Seriously. More importantly do you believe in everything every coach we have had says? Sorry the results speak for themselves. But you just keep getting offended. It's what you do.
Unfortunately the evidence mounts that Cow/Dick have fatally wounded our FB program with their ill conceived and totally inadequate disaster of a stadium and the message of 'we don't do FB' the stadium screams.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

You can't even compare tailgating to the 1st half if the inaugural season to the last few games from last season. That has dwindled down too. It's all garbage, and until Tulane wins, nothing will ever change.

P.S. I don't understand why we are keeping the Wilson Center. If we are building a new operations center, weight room, athletic offices, etc. why not tear the whole thing down and add that to the footprint of the proposed new building? Hell, it would even allow for a full 100 yard practice field on top. I know that's not the plan, but it would be nice to know if it was at least discussed.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JerseyWave
Riptide

A consistent winner would bring in more fans but it doesn't help that the home schedule for the next couple of years sucks.( Missouri St, Nicholls St) However, the next decade so far has Oklahoma plus Ole Miss and MIss St are scheduled to play at Yulman the same year. I just hope some sort of expansion takes place by then and they don't put the games in the Dome.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: P.S. I don't understand why we are keeping the Wilson Center. If we are building a new operations center, weight room, athletic offices, etc. why not tear the whole thing down and add that to the footprint of the proposed new building? Hell, it would even allow for a full 100 yard practice field on top. I know that's not the plan, but it would be nice to know if it was at least discussed.
I agree. But the answer is it will be more money they don't have.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:A consistent winner would bring in more fans but it doesn't help that the home schedule for the next couple of years sucks.( Missouri St, Nicholls St) However, the next decade so far has Oklahoma plus Ole Miss and MIss St are scheduled to play at Yulman the same year. I just hope some sort of expansion takes place by then and they don't put the games in the Dome.
JW- Those teams are scheduled for New Orleans. In it s current state if those games get played at Yulman it will literally mean the program still sucks and there will be 20,000 of their fans and 2,000 of us.Even if its expanded it can at best seat in the low 30's. Not enough if our program is rolling. If those games are in the Dome we we will all be very happy b/c it means we will have truly turned things around and they'll be 50,000 at least in the Dome.