Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:I really don;t understand the point of spraying water on fans. I mean, if it is a hot night/day I guess, other then that it just seems weird. IDK. Someone is going to have to explain the appeal to me.
It is an attempt to take our minds off the fact that Yulman sucks.
I don't think our stadium sucks. It's really a solid "metro" looking stadium. The only thing that stops it from being "beautiful" is that woeful visiting side.
The stadium per se' does not suck...but the hemorrhoids who allowed it to be built in it's current configuration, including the NIMBY's and elected officials not only suck, but need a blindfold, cigarette and dawns early light....ready....aim.....
I hear ya. I was 100% behind the original idea.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44A0q0D64rE

But when what was supposed to taller became shorter, and what was supposed to brick became aluminum, I started to back away from things. Our visiting side became a complete joke in my eyes.
Yeah. It went from the new Tulane Community Stadium to Pan American on the guest end of the stadium quickly. You are right, it's horrible.
It not only sucks it is making recruiting impossible, brands us as bush, and screams 'who cares.'
In the City " That Care Forgot " in some ways it is quite fitting

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44A0q0D64rE
Watching that and then seeing what we have now is so discouraging. Heartbreaking, really. Talk about a bait and switch. I wonder how Richard Yulman really feels about it.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44A0q0D64rE
Watching that and then seeing what we have now is so discouraging. Heartbreaking, really. Talk about a bait and switch. I wonder how Richard Yulman really feels about it.
I think Richard said he would have to sleep on it !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Caving into the NIMBY's did this. The original design was 35,000 real seats.
56 second mark you can see the Westfield and Glazer Club levels were also redesigned from the original plan.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glazer and Westfeldt redesign had nothing to do w/the NIMBY'S.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Caving into the NIMBY's did this. The original design was 35.000 real seats.
56 second mark you can see the Westfield and Glazer Club levels were also redesigned from the original plan.
$85mm spent on our two main facilities 1) they are both woefully undersized and appear to have done very little for recruiting 2) still no legit D1 operations building 3) the only saving grace is that SC was able to sell Yulman to get into the AAC as the current Conference USA could have meant the death of TU athletics. I wonder if they would have admitted us after finding out it only sat 23.5k.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Glazer and Westfeldt redesign had nothing to do w/the NIMBY'S.
Right. Just pointing it out.
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
$85mm spent on our two many facilities 1) they are both woefully undersized and appear to have done very little for recruiting 2) still no legit D1 operations building 3) the only saving grace is that SC was able to sell Yulman to get into the AAC as the current Conference USA could have meant the death of TU athletics. I wonder if they would have admitted us after finding out it only sat 23.5k.
Just curious. When was recruiting better when we played in Superdome? Decades ago? I'm including basketball for what it's worth.

Yulman and Fogelman may very well be too small but I think there is another factor that has negatively impacted recruiting exponentially more: chronic losing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was just clarifying your post to avoid confusion for others. As we both know if something isn't made clear people will take it and run with it forever. I'd also point out it never was slated to have 35,00 actual seats . No matter who asked RD nor SC would never commit to a number at any stage.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
$85mm spent on our two many facilities 1) they are both woefully undersized and appear to have done very little for recruiting 2) still no legit D1 operations building 3) the only saving grace is that SC was able to sell Yulman to get into the AAC as the current Conference USA could have meant the death of TU athletics. I wonder if they would have admitted us after finding out it only sat 23.5k.
Just curious. When was recruiting better when we played in Superdome? Decades ago? I'm including basketball for what it's worth.

Yulman and Fogelman may very well be too small but I think there is another factor that has negatively impacted recruiting exponentially more: chronic losing.
Combined the factors have been devastating.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

it has been said, if you win, you can play at high noon on a Wednesday in the middle of I-10 and people will show up
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In order to win you have to be able to attract the players that can help you win.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I was just clarifying your post to avoid confusion for others. As we both know if something isn't made clear people will take it and run with it forever. I'd also point out it never was slated to have 35,00 actual seats . No matter who asked RD nor SC would never commit to a number at any stage.
Meant 35K capacity
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Gotcha.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What's funny is that the single level "visitors" side seats more than the double deck Glazer/Westfeldt side does. It's a much bigger eye sore, no doubt, but it is larger than the two levels on the opposing side.

That's why I argue that putting a level above will add MANY more seats than the upper level on the other side.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's not really true. You'd have to count some of the sections that are actually more part of the end zone than the sideline. More importantly it doesn't negate that it looks like shit. The fans that sit there wish the seats were bigger , had more leg room from the row beneath them and they wish they had benchbacks at least.
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Why, for the life of me, didn't Tweedledum & Tweedledee (Cowen/Dickson) corral all of the NIMBY's and propose a 55,000 seat venue? It shouldn't have been too difficult to burn some money in advance on plans for a stadium that would have never been the objective. The NIMBY's would have gone ballistic & they would have settled down on the idea of a 40,000 seat gem.
lurker123
Swell

wave97 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Why, for the life of me, didn't Tweedledum & Tweedledee (Cowen/Dickson) corral all of the NIMBY's and propose a 55,000 seat venue? It shouldn't have been too difficult to burn some money in advance on plans for a stadium that would have never been the objective. The NIMBY's would have gone ballistic & they would have settled down on the idea of a 40,000 seat gem.
Because SC didn't pay attention to the politics until it was too late. At least he got the stadium approved. Just go ask the Temple people what is the status of the Temple campus stadium (or very close to campus.)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
wave97 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Because SC didn't pay attention to the politics until it was too late. At least he got the stadium approved. Just go ask the Temple people what is the status of the Temple campus stadium (or very close to campus.)
But the question remains: Is the stadium an asset or an albatross? The transformation of campus on gameday is 10000% better than playing at the dome. But the facility itself is not appealing to the powers that would invite us to move higher, nor is it attractive to recruits. If Fritz can get the team to start winning, maybe we'll find out if Yulman is holding us back. Right now it's not: our record on the field trumps all in terms of recruiting and attractiveness to a "Power" conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tailgating is meaningless. It also continues to diminish as time goes on, the losing continues and people don't care for the rules concerning drop off and pick up. Recruiting is the bloodline of the program. It clearly hasn't helped there. Thus the losing continues and the program continues to go down the tubes.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If tailgating is meaningless, tell that to the 10,000 folks that show up (13,000 vs. 3000) for games that didn't show for the games in the Dome. Tell that to the alumni that used to come into town and ignore the fact that Tulane was playing a football game, and maybe not even visit campus on a fall weekend.

It is absolutely meaningless to the recruits. But not to the Tulane community. On Campus is where college football should be played. Win games. It can be done, regardless of where they play.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:If tailgating is meaningless, tell that to the 10,000 folks that show up (13,000 vs. 3000) for games that didn't show for the games in the Dome. Tell that to the alumni that used to come into town and ignore the fact that Tulane was playing a football game, and maybe not even visit campus on a fall weekend.

It is absolutely meaningless to the recruits. But not to the Tulane community. On Campus is where college football should be played. Win games. It can be done, regardless of where they play.
Sadly tailgating outside has been more fun than the what's been taking place inside.
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote:10,000 folks that show up
5000 of those people must've worn camouflage
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
wave97 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
But the question remains: Is the stadium an asset or an albatross? The transformation of campus on gameday is 10000% better than playing at the dome. But the facility itself is not appealing to the powers that would invite us to move higher, nor is it attractive to recruits. If Fritz can get the team to start winning, maybe we'll find out if Yulman is holding us back. Right now it's not: our record on the field trumps all in terms of recruiting and attractiveness to a "Power" conference.
The chicken/egg dilemma will be resolved by this coaching staff. Fitts isn't a complete idiot. If it is time to pull the stakes on Football so be it.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Again, you cannot just wish your way into winning. The game has changed with the influx of billions of dollars and mass recruiting services. We are the only AAC school without a legit athletic complex for our football players. We have the smallest stadium, worst weight room, worst locker room and many AAC schools have IPF or plans to build one. Then we have the toughest academic situation. These are the schools we are competing against.

As for the dome, playing five miles from campus for a small private school was always going to be a disaster. Add that to the fact that the admin did a horrible job promoting and supporting the program, you had a disaster. That being said, I really would have considered building the state of the art support assets first, staying in the dome, building things up to a respectable level then doing the OCS right. Instead, we have a joke stadium (at least capacity wise) and the worst support assets. Yes, ultimately football HAS to be on campus at TU, but RD force fed this situation with no long term plan.