while others look to Omaha, some will find Frisco

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Doubtful that the Frisco Bowl will outdraw the FCS Championship game played in the same venue. The 2017 FCS Championship was a sellout, and the team from Virginia, James Madison, was practically playing a home game, with roughly 75% of the attendees rooting for the Dukes.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
dpm wave
Swell

If they wanted a catchy new name, then The Friskies McFrisco Bowl would have been much better.
Even got a built in sponsor.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Doubtful that the Frisco Bowl will outdraw the FCS Championship game played in the same venue. The 2017 FCS Championship was a sellout, and the team from Virginia, James Madison, was practically playing a home game, with roughly 75% of the attendees rooting for the Dukes.
they took out Youngstown State......on a side note..Lewisville, Frisco, Plano, Allen ( the Allen with the expensive high school football stadium) all border each other...Frisco is also home of the Rangers AA team the Roughriders.... this addition gives metro DFW 4 bowl games plus the Big 12 championship game.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Doubtful that the Frisco Bowl will outdraw the FCS Championship game played in the same venue. The 2017 FCS Championship was a sellout, and the team from Virginia, James Madison, was practically playing a home game, with roughly 75% of the attendees rooting for the Dukes.
they took out Youngstown State......on a side note..Lewisville, Frisco, Plano, Allen ( the Allen with the expensive high school football stadium) all border each other...Frisco is also home of the Rangers AA team the Roughriders.... this addition gives metro DFW 4 bowl games plus the Big 12 championship game.....
They also went into North Dakota and took out FIVE TIME DEFENDING CHAMPIONS NDSU. NDSU has plenty of P5 victories over the past few years. Winning on the road like they did was one of the most impressive performances in college football last year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
They also went into North Dakota and took out FIVE TIME DEFENDING CHAMPIONS NDSU. NDSU has plenty of P5 victories over the past few years. Winning on the road like they did was one of the most impressive performances in college football last year.
D..are U sure about NDSU beating P5 or G5 teams...after reading some post on this forum, that was not allowed to happen...losing to an FCS team !?!?!?...stop the madness...say it ain't so
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
D..are U sure about NDSU beating P5 or G5 teams...after reading some post on this forum, that was not allowed to happen...losing to an FCS team !?!?!?...stop the madness...say it ain't so
Both NDSU and JMU would have been double digit favorites against Tulane last year, and I would have laid the points and bet the house on either of them. Either would have been a VERY ugly loss for the Green Wave. NDSU happened to go into Iowa last September and beat #13/#11 Iowa Hawkeyes. When was the last time Tulane beat a team knocking on the door of the FBS top 10? 1984? They also blew out Iowa State in Ames, Iowa in 2014, and Kansas State in Manhattan, KS in 2013. Going further back, they beat CSU in Ft. Collins in 2012, Minnesota in Minneapolis in 2011...when was the last time we beat a P5?

I don't know about NDSU this year, but JMU should be even better than last year's squad. The top 5 or so in FCS would be significant favorites over the bottom 30-40 FBS schools. We have an undefeated record against FCS because although we've played some good FCS teams, we've never played the best FCS teams. Frankly, I thought Fritz's GSU team his first year would have beaten us handily, though they were a first year FBS team.

PS: I know you were tongue in cheek, 'nut. But the folks that think FCS football isn't competitive aren't paying attention.
Eaglewave
Swell

I doubt it as well. I have always said that small bowl games like the St Petersburg or Boca Raton types should make their match ups the FCS and Division II National Championship Games. I think they could draw more than 15-20k to those games and even get better ratings if ESPN promotes it. The Celebration Bowl is only 2 years old and is promoted as the Bowl that kicks off the College Bowl Season. Last year the attendance was a little over 31k and the first year it was over 35K. That is damn impressive. This new crap of FBS bowls is just crazy. We are seeing too many 6-7 win teams have victory parties with a Bud Broiler Bowl Championship Trophy. I would watch a 13-1 NDSU take on a 11-2 James Madison any day over 6-6 New Mexico State vs 7-5 FAU.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Both NDSU and JMU would have been double digit favorites against Tulane last year, and I would have laid the points and bet the house on either of them. Either would have been a VERY ugly loss for the Green Wave. NDSU happened to go into Iowa last September and beat #13/#11 Iowa Hawkeyes. When was the last time Tulane beat a team knocking on the door of the FBS top 10? 1984? They also blew out Iowa State in Ames, Iowa in 2014, and Kansas State in Manhattan, KS in 2013. Going further back, they beat CSU in Ft. Collins in 2012, Minnesota in Minneapolis in 2011...when was the last time we beat a P5?

I don't know about NDSU this year, but JMU should be even better than last year's squad. The top 5 or so in FCS would be significant favorites over the bottom 30-40 FBS schools. We have an undefeated record against FCS because although we've played some good FCS teams, we've never played the best FCS teams. Frankly, I thought Fritz's GSU team his first year would have beaten us handily, though they were a first year FBS team.

PS: I know you were tongue in cheek, 'nut. But the folks that think FCS football isn't competitive aren't paying attention.
D...In the name of TV Contracts, how can the Kings @ ESPN and the Prince's of PEE 5 allow this to happen ?!?!?.. ' Oh the Humanity " and in some cases Sanity, be allowed to continue
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:...when was the last time we beat a P5?
If I recall correctly, in 2010 at 4-8 Rutgers (Big East).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:...when was the last time we beat a P5?
If I recall correctly, in 2010 at 4-8 Rutgers (Big East).
LOL, technically they were a P6, but Rutgers is in the B1G now, so either way they were a member of a power conference. That's a long time since our last "P" win, though.