Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Locals will never play for tulane baseball again. They just can't afford a 50% scholarship of 60,000/yr. that's why our roster is full of kids from northeast. Only way they come here is if we offer them huge scholarships. Also tops is a joke for tulane, it's like what 4,000$ per student/yr? That's huge at Lsu where your total tuitions is 8-10k a year but doesn't do jack when your tuition is 70k.

What makes me sick is troy dannen dumping all our money into football and crapping on baseball. We can be top 10 in baseball, but vanderbilt is in sec and sucks at football.....troy dannen football hopes are a waste of money and he's doing it at the expense of our beloved favorite crown jewel baseball program.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:TOPS is part of academic aid and is not stacked.
It is stacked. The player gets his athletic money and the TOPS money. The school has no say on that issue. That money goes directly to the student from the state.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Win check your PM
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: I'll also note the $71,000 figure now being thrown around is not the actual number families will have to come up with. I think it was FW on the other site that debunked that figure when it was supposedly $60,000.
The $71,000 & $60,000 numbers include living costs and living costs are about the same everywhere. Very few Tulane students pay the full cost of our stated tuition; very, very few.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Take out the part about our records in the three major sports this past academic year, and this article could have been written 2, 5, 10, 20, or even 40 years ago. Tell us something we don't know, Ed.

BTW: Tuition is NOWHERE near $70K That's a (IMHO slightly inflated) Cost of attendance. Room and board and travel, book, etc. are a VERY BIG part of cost of attendance. Tuition for '17-'18 is $52,960. That's overpriced, in a big way, IMHO, but well under $71k.

Straight from the University:
http://www2.tulane.edu/financialaid/cos ... orical.cfm
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Hornetswave
Low Tide

CJ recruited heavily in the NEW ORLEANS AREA, i was not impressed. You have to recruit any player who can play the game. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. P.S CJ SUCKED. The worst coach i have ever seen, Worst than TOLEDO.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Athletic and academic aid won't stack unless the student athlete meets one of several (relatively) high level academic criteria (top 10%/3.5 GPA/25 ACT).

http://diycollegerankings.com/can-colle ... hips/6267/
That's part of Jewett's job, or whoever is the HC , at any point in time. We can get a lot of really good players from Texas that-A) Family has money, B)They meet those academic standards . I'll also note the $71,000 figure now being thrown around is not the actual number families will have to come up with...
A)Texas, Rice, TCU, A&M, Houston, Houston Baptist and others (LSU etc) are also going for that same kid.
B)On the $71,000 comment I'll agree. But the point I'm making is that as that number grows so does the cost to both parents and student athletes.
It's just makes any coaches job that more difficult to have to deal with off the field stuff like that. Believe me it's nothing at all compared to what he had at Vandy. Nothing at all.
To your edited portion of the post yes those schools do go after them. It shows they are good players who we should be going after. The change in scholarship money rules helps us there as they are limited in the number of players they can give money to. The bottom line is it's our coaches job to win said battle.

( When a moderator edits a post it doesn't show up as being edited like everyone else's post)
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote:Locals will never play for tulane baseball again. They just can't afford a 50% scholarship of 60,000/yr. that's why our roster is full of kids from northeast. Only way they come here is if we offer them huge scholarships. Also tops is a joke for tulane, it's like what 4,000$ per student/yr? That's huge at Lsu where your total tuitions is 8-10k a year but doesn't do jack when your tuition is 70k.

What makes me sick is troy dannen dumping all our money into football and crapping on baseball. We can be top 10 in baseball, but vanderbilt is in sec and sucks at football.....troy dannen football hopes are a waste of money and he's doing it at the expense of our beloved favorite crown jewel baseball program.

Baseball has a small, but VERY loyal local following. It's not that big a deal across the country, where most of the Tulane alumni live. I, being as big a sports fan as anyone I know, have watched my last college baseball game of the year. I'm more likely to watch an NBA finals game, than an NCAA baseball game, and it's been at least 5 possibly 10 years since I've watched an NBA game. My point is baseball matters more on this board than anywhere in the sports world.

Aspiring to be a top 10 baseball program, at the expense of football (or basketball) would be suicide for 99.99% of AD's at the D1 level.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:besides financial issues the biggest problem at Tulane is the lack of true educators....these lazy tenured ass holes only want those who make their job easy, not those they can inspire to reach further....
And how do you know this, golfnut? I agree with most of what you post, but my time at Tulane put me face to face with at least 8-12 absolutely phenomenal professors. I'll admit that it was a long time ago. But I'm really curious what makes you make such a bold and negative statement? Yes, some profs are outspoken about athletics. But this blanket statement is offensive to those of us that are proud of our Tulane degrees.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: To your edited portion of the post yes those schools do go after them. It shows they are good players who we should be going after. The change in scholarship money rules helps us there as they are limited in the number of players they can give money to. The bottom line is it's our coaches job to win said battle.

( When a moderator edits a post it doesn't show up as being edited like everyone else's post)
I just referenced what I was discussing. No reason to post the entire quote. Your original post with that quote has not been edited.
Anyone can edit their post if it's the last post and it won't show up as being edited.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:besides financial issues the biggest problem at Tulane is the lack of true educators....these lazy tenured ass holes only want those who make their job easy, not those they can inspire to reach further....
And how do you know this, golfnut? I agree with most of what you post, but my time at Tulane put me face to face with at least 8-12 absolutely phenomenal professors. I'll admit that it was a long time ago. But I'm really curious what makes you make such a bold and negative statement? Yes, some profs are outspoken about athletics. But this blanket statement is offensive to those of us that are proud of our Tulane degrees.
All U need to know, are those who are not allowed to enter Tulane, remember those "exceptions' that CJ was allowed, that proves my point... and FYI, I am not negative, I am positive they are ass holes
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
And, Nut is a graduate of SLU, not Tulane. What would Nut know of Tulane's faculty, present or past?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
And, Nut is a graduate of SLU, not Tulane. What would Nut know of Tulane's faculty, present or past?
I have two brothers with Tulane degrees...and once dated a Tulane faculty member when I was doing the radio broadcast with Ken and Steve
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I have two brothers with Tulane degrees...and once dated a Tulane faculty member when I was doing the radio broadcast with Ken and Steve
:lolgreen: Hmm, and I wonder how long ago that was?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
All U need to know, are those who are not allowed to enter Tulane, remember those "exceptions' that CJ was allowed, that proves my point... and FYI, I am not negative, I am positive they are ass holes
That doesn't prove your point at all, unless you knew the kids. Some kids want to learn. Some kids don't. Those that do will find a way to get passing grades. Those that don't will never make it at Tulane. They'll make it somewhere where they will be coddled and protected, and graduate with zero life skills.

This will be a topic we agree to disagree on, Woody.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I have a nephew there now and still keep in touch with the lovely lady, who is still on staff...the issue is not how long ago I was involved, it is how long the staff ass holes have been there, and when they retire, hiring others just like themselves...the proof is there for all to see...
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I have a nephew there now and still keep in touch with the lovely lady, who is still on staff...the issue is not how long ago I was involved, it is how long the staff ass holes have been there, and when they retire, hiring others just like themselves...the proof is there for all to see...
Just think what this forum would be like if SLU grad 'Nut hated Tulane? :shakingno:

Happy to say I had mostly great and very dedicated professors while at Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Just think what this forum would be like if SLU grad 'Nut hated Tulane? :shakingno:

Happy to say I had mostly great and very dedicated professors while at Tulane.
Please, tell us what it would be like, I would love to know some have posted having 8 to 12 fabulous professors...last count Tulane had 2511 faculty members and it seems the majority are anti athletics... I wonder how many grads or students from other universities have given their time, merchandise,services and money to Tulane...I know my contributions are in the six figures...I will post Mr Ed's take, which started this thread, seems to me he shares my view point

http://sportsnola.com/fixes-needed-tula ... p-winning/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon May 29, 2017 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote: To your edited portion of the post yes those schools do go after them. It shows they are good players who we should be going after. The change in scholarship money rules helps us there as they are limited in the number of players they can give money to. The bottom line is it's our coaches job to win said battle.

I just referenced what I was discussing. No reason to post the entire quote. Your original post with that quote has not been edited.
Anyone can edit their post if it's the last post and it won't show up as being edited.
I never said you edited my post . You edited your post after I quoted and responded to your original post. You edited it to add the A portion. Originally there was no A and B. There was just what you said in the B version. I just responded to that. Moderators post don't reflect when and how many times they have edited their own post.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Most Tulane students take 32 classes in their four undergraduate years. I happened to take 3 classes each from 2 profs that I really liked. So that means I had 28 professors in my 4 years, and yes, 8-12 of those 28 were outstanding. The 2511 number was and is meaningless to me; I can only speak to the sample that I experienced. By definition, not all (in any sample on any topic) can be outstanding.

And again, Ed Daniels didn't say a thing that hasn't been said repeatedly on this board for years. His article could have been written 10 or 20 years ago. We've been our own worst enemy since the 1950's.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

there are some who wish to disparage education from other colleges / universities....one of my Brothers who has an undergraduate degree from SLU and post Grad degrees from Tulane and West Point, served in the Military for almost 34 years... had a life insurance policy that named Tulane Athletics as the beneficiary, I am told the amount was 50,000 it may have been 100,000.00... his wife, whom I never got along with was in charge of distributing the funds, but I know the donation was made....his address is Section 55 Grave 1382 Arlington National ....Tulane needs to be grateful for the people who never had the opportunity to attend, but support Tulane, walks on.
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Thats enough of a connection to Tulane for me, Golf nut! :)
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:there are some who wish to disparage education from other colleges / universities....one of my Brothers who has an undergraduate degree from SLU and post Grad degrees from Tulane and West Point, served in the Military for almost 34 years... had a life insurance policy that named Tulane Athletics as the beneficiary, I am told the amount was 50,000 it may have been 100,000.00... his wife, whom I never got along with was in charge of distributing the funds, but I know the donation was made....his address is Section 55 Grave 1382 Arlington National ....Tulane needs to be grateful for the people who never had the opportunity to attend, but support Tulane, walks on.
I do appreciate what your brother, YOU and your family has done for Tulane. I just don't agree that there's two thousand lazy dumb asses teaching classes at Tulane. Most Universities fight the battle between faculty and athletics, it's nothing unique to Tulane. It may be exagerated at Tulane, I don't know. But it's prevalent throughout academia.

Again, Woody, I want you to know that I do appreciate the support you and your family have given Tulane. If we had a thousand families like yours, we'd have a whole lot of good things working for us. THANKS!
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:there are some who wish to disparage education from other colleges / universities....one of my Brothers who has an undergraduate degree from SLU and post Grad degrees from Tulane and West Point, served in the Military for almost 34 years... had a life insurance policy that named Tulane Athletics as the beneficiary, I am told the amount was 50,000 it may have been 100,000.00... his wife, whom I never got along with was in charge of distributing the funds, but I know the donation was made....his address is Section 55 Grave 1382 Arlington National ....Tulane needs to be grateful for the people who never had the opportunity to attend, but support Tulane, walks on.
I do appreciate what your brother, YOU and your family has done for Tulane. I just don't agree that there's two thousand lazy dumb asses teaching classes at Tulane. Most Universities fight the battle between faculty and athletics, it's nothing unique to Tulane. It may be exagerated at Tulane, I don't know. But it's prevalent throughout academia.

Again, Woody, I want you to know that I do appreciate the support you and your family have given Tulane. If we had a thousand families like yours, we'd have a whole lot of good things working for us. THANKS!

I second that D! Thank you!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
msdos
Swell

Just wanted to chime in on the professor thing here.
I only did grad school at Tulane but all professors were top notch educators. Most weren't anti-athletics, they just didn't care, really.