A bad first for many

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:We're not going to lose to Grambling.
Well, last season, Grambling was up 18-3 @ Arizona before QB DeVante was injured (he didn't return to the game and Grambling lost). Further, Grambling went 9-3 in 2015, lost 25 seniors off of that team, and still posted an 11-1 record in 2016. Again, just like between 2015 and 2016, Grambling has some turnover between 2016 and 2017, but it has made serious efforts to ensure that the drop off won't be as dramatic as it should be (i.e. losing 3 off of the DL but having 2 JUCO DL waiting to take their place). Just since August of last year, Grambling has added a DT from Oklahoma, a DE from Mississippi State, and a DB from Oregon State. Other P5 transfers of relevance include DB Derrick Dixon (Texas Tech), DB T'Kevian Rockwell (Baylor), S Montrel Meander (Texas; played WR at TX but converted to S for Grambling), etc. The Grambling/Tulane game will be an interesting one to follow and it is within the realm of possibility that if Tulane's offense doesn't improve from its performance in the spring game, Tulane's distinction of never having lost to FCS could be in jeopardy.
I hope AJ is right, but 'Zombie brought to lite some of the reasons I think this game is a toss up...and as we all know..." there is a first time, for everything"...which brings me to the "Do Drive In" on Metry Rd...add on comment.. I called a friend who works for Davison Transport in Ruston, he tells me Grambling will most likely get at least two grad transfers at the end of the month, one of which La Tech wanted.... Davison is a major contributor to LaTech Athletics...when Benson wanted to move the Saints after Katrina and Bradshaw called him out on national television saying he and a friend would write a check for the Saints, his friend was Davison, who happens to own a few banks as well !!!

I have a few associates that are "Gramblinites" as they call themselves, and they are pretty fired up about this year's team. They are telling me that their WR's Corps will be better than last year. (A corps that included a 3rd round draft pick and a kid that got picked up by Tampa Bay.)

I tried to tell our staff to pursue Kincade at QB when he was looking for a home after he made the decision to transfer from Ole Miss, but I didn't get any responses. He ended up at Grambling and he has been great. Yes they are in the FCS-SWAC, but he owned a PAC-12 team before he got hurt. He will be back next year after going 12-1 at GSU.

I am very uncomfortable about this game because I have no faith in our QB's. It's true that they have some P5 transfers on the roster, but don't forget that they have our former players Dredrick Shy and Edward Williams on their roster as well. I actually liked those two guys abilities and wanted them to stay with us as well.

We shall see.

nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave 755 is correct. Fritz had only a handful of his recruits last season. Dunleavy inherited a total clusterf -ck. Both Fritz and Dunleavy will be coaching this coming season to all intents and purposes their first Tulane classes.

Mens baseball is truly minor in every respect to all FBS schools notwithstanding the protestations otherwise by a few former hardballers on this forum. But it is still better to win as long as the jersey says Tulane even though our resources and $$$ must be dedicated to the three majors: FB, MBB and WBB.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Well, last season, Grambling was up 18-3 @ Arizona before QB DeVante was injured (he didn't return to the game and Grambling lost). Further, Grambling went 9-3 in 2015, lost 25 seniors off of that team, and still posted an 11-1 record in 2016. Again, just like between 2015 and 2016, Grambling has some turnover between 2016 and 2017, but it has made serious efforts to ensure that the drop off won't be as dramatic as it should be (i.e. losing 3 off of the DL but having 2 JUCO DL waiting to take their place). Just since August of last year, Grambling has added a DT from Oklahoma, a DE from Mississippi State, and a DB from Oregon State. Other P5 transfers of relevance include DB Derrick Dixon (Texas Tech), DB T'Kevian Rockwell (Baylor), S Montrel Meander (Texas; played WR at TX but converted to S for Grambling), etc. The Grambling/Tulane game will be an interesting one to follow and it is within the realm of possibility that if Tulane's offense doesn't improve from its performance in the spring game, Tulane's distinction of never having lost to FCS could be in jeopardy.
I hope AJ is right, but 'Zombie brought to lite some of the reasons I think this game is a toss up...and as we all know..." there is a first time, for everything"...which brings me to the "Do Drive In" on Metry Rd...add on comment.. I called a friend who works for Davison Transport in Ruston, he tells me Grambling will most likely get at least two grad transfers at the end of the month, one of which La Tech wanted.... Davison is a major contributor to LaTech Athletics...when Benson wanted to move the Saints after Katrina and Bradshaw called him out on national television saying he and a friend would write a check for the Saints, his friend was Davison, who happens to own a few banks as well !!!

I have a few associates that are "Gramblinites" as they call themselves, and they are pretty fired up about this year's team. They are telling me that their WR's Corps will be better than last year. (A corps that included a 3rd round draft pick and a kid that got picked up by Tampa Bay.)

I tried to tell our staff to pursue Kincade at QB when he was looking for a home after he made the decision to transfer from Ole Miss, but I didn't get any responses. He ended up at Grambling and he has been great. Yes they are in the FCS-SWAC, but he owned a PAC-12 team before he got hurt. He will be back next year after going 12-1 at GSU.

I am very uncomfortable about this game because I have no faith in our QB's. It's true that they have some P5 transfers on the roster, but don't forget that they have our former players Dredrick Shy and Edward Williams on their roster as well. I actually liked those two guys abilities and wanted them to stay with us as well.

We shall see.

Here you go panicking over a FCS again. As I told you before the last SLU game,(a team that had more FBS transfers than Grambling), we aren't going to have any trouble beating them. Grambling is a very good SWAC program, but they aren't much outside of their conference. Yes, they gave Arizona hell, but so what! They lost. They blew a 21-3 lead when their QB went down. Who knows if Arizona came to the game thinking it was another day in the dessert. Yes, Kincade is a very good QB and is a stolen jewel for Grambling, but FCS depth will kick in and we will be able he hold him. I watched North Carolina Central State of the FCS MEAC hold Grambling to 10 points in the Celebration Bowl last year! Does that mean NCCU's defense was better than Arizona? I don't F'n think so.

Don't believe the FBS transfer hype fellas, Grambling is going to catch a beat down just like SLU and Southern did. Shy and Williams will pay the price for not going to class when they step on the field in a helmet with a G on it. Let Wave QB and Golfnut worry about Grambling while we worry about Navy and Oklahoma.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

No way, no how!
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:

No way, no how!
I have already put L's by Navy and OU and if you are a Tulane fan, U worry about every team on the schedule... but here is an early look at GSU's position breakdown, minus all of the grad and D-1 transfers...question, were U one of the many who posted Tulane would never lose to a school like UTSA ?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... rVbZG_b7TQ
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

No way, no how!
I have already put L's by Navy and OU and if you are a Tulane fan, U worry about every team on the schedule... but here is an early look at GSU's position breakdown, minus all of the grad and D-1 transfers...question, were U one of the many who posted Tulane would never lose to a school like UTSA ?
No. I was actually one of the ones who paid attention to your UTSA points. However, Grambling, McNeese, Southern, Nicholls, SLU and Northwestern State aren't UTSA. They are instate FCS programs that our kids, will find a way to get up for them and impose our FCS depth on them. We don't lose to FCS programs. It has not and will not happen. I can't believe that so many are worried about these games. Maybe we needed a stay in the C-USA ranks. We just aren't ready to think like a top FCS program.

Grambling will get beat convincingly. Mark it down. If we lose to Grambling, then we better bring VMI and Austin Peay to Yulman for next year.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Sun May 28, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

No way, no how!
No. I was actually one of the ones who paid attention to your UTSA points.
A very smart person...may I suggest U pay close attention to this one...and I will be happy as hell to be wrong, but, then again...won't be the end of the world...I mean Northeast La did beat mighty Bama...UAB did beat LSU....If this was year three or 4 of the Fritz era, I would not be as concerned but he is still trying to put square pegs into round holes and no matter how much KY lotion you use, this could be painful
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

No way, no how!
A very smart person...may I suggest U pay close attention to this one...and I will be happy as hell to be wrong, but, then again...won't be the end of the world...I mean Northeast La did beat mighty Bama...UAB did beat LSU....If this was year three or 4 of the Fritz era, I would not be as concerned but he is still trying to put square pegs into round holes and no matter how much KY lotion you use, this could be painful
UAB and ULM aren't FCS-SWAC opponents. NAIA programs have beaten SWAC programs. Hell, the SWAC is lucky that Tuskegee isn't in their Conference after the way they usually beat SWAC schools. I know we are far from a FBS powerhouse, but we won't lose any SWAC or Southland opponents.

The last SLU team that we beat in Yulman had more FBS transfers and a bigger roster than this GSU team. I listened to you against UTSA, now here me loud and clear! WE WILL NOT LOSE TO GRAMBLING! Click and save. Yes, I will put Tabasco sauce on my crow if we lose.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Sun May 28, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
wavemania
Surge

the sad part is how bad Tulane has to dumb down its schedule just to get a win or two.
Eaglewave
Swell

wavemania wrote:the sad part is how bad Tulane has to dumb down its schedule just to get a win or two.
I am cool with playing 1 cupcake when we have teams like Oklahoma on the schedule.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

No way, no how!
No. I was actually one of the ones who paid attention to your UTSA points. However, Grambling, McNeese, Southern, Nicholls, SLU and Northwestern State aren't UTSA. They are instate FCS programs that our kids, will find a way to get up for them and impose our FCS depth on them. We don't lose to FCS programs. It has not and will not happen. I can't believe that so many are worried about these games. Maybe we needed a stay in the C-USA ranks. We just aren't ready to think like a top FCS program.

Grambling will get beat convincingly. Mark it down. If we lose to Grambling, then we better bring VMI and Austin Peay to Yulman for next year.

You keep thinking it's just another walk in Audubon while others take this game seriously. Say what you want about SWAC programs, but Grambling isn't one of those FCS programs that get lucky years because of FBS transfers. They are a historical program who is use to winning and shouldn't be taken lightly. We aren't Alabama, we are Tulane. A program who hadn't had a 7 win season since 2013, and even that team dropped games to UTSA, USA and FAU.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... s-matchups
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

No way, no how!
UAB and ULM aren't FCS-SWAC opponents. NAIA programs have beaten SWAC programs. Hell, the SWAC is lucky that Tuskegee isn't in their Conference after the way they usually beat SWAC schools. I know we are far from a FBS powerhouse, but we won't lose any SWAC or Southland opponents.

The last SLU team that we beat in Yulman had more FBS transfers and a bigger roster than this GSU team. I listened to you against UTSA, now here me loud and clear! WE WILL NOT LOSE TO GRAMBLING! Click and save. Yes, I will put Tabasco sauce on my crow if we lose.
Keeyon Smart just transferred to Grambling joining Edward Williams and Dedrick Shy from us. I think he would have started this year for us on that offensive line I saw in the spring scrimmage.