A bad first for many

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

First time in my lifetime all 3 major men sports had a losing record in a season beginning with FB.
I started as a kid going to Tulane games at the age of 6 in 1965. We've had many ups and downs but never a year in which all three were losers. The last time that occurred was 1963/64. One season 1989/90 we had two losers but no MBB program at that time. The last BB losing season we made up for it in FB (6-6).

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Started in '62. This was painful.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:First time in my lifetime all 3 major men sports had a losing record in a season beginning with FB.
I started as a kid going to Tulane games at the age of 6 in 1965. We've had many ups and downs but never a year in which all three were losers. The last time that occurred was 1963/64. One season 1989/90 we had two losers but no MBB program at that time. The last BB losing season we made up for it in FB (6-6).
Interesting research.

I know others don't share this "silver lining" thinking, but I do feel football is on the rise with the right coach at the right time, basketball can only get better (but will, unfortunately for all of us, take time) while baseball, once the dependable winning sport, has gone south on us. The Wilson Athletic Center krewe has a lot of magical marketing work to do. Purchasing deadlines don't motivate anybody following
Tulane. When you can predict the negative outcomes of our games, you definitely feel like Tulane owes you...a lot.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

As bad as it is, it could always get worse, as there there could be another "bad first" waiting for the football team in September. Grambling has added Oregon State and Mississippi State transfers on defense over the last 30 days and they will (obviously) be able to start in 2017.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... 101159080/
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... 102049928/
msdos
Swell

I find myself caring less and less every year.

Tulane is amazing. They managed to find a worse AD than Rick Dickson
wavemania
Surge

yep, this is the first time in my life since I was 5 that I havent attended a football, mens basketball, or baseball game all year. Only bothered going to women basketball games. Im 48. Tulane really has left me with a wait and see attitude. The more they flounder, the less likely I will ever decide to renew season tickets; especially if they keep jacking up prices with the same cr@ppy results.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:As bad as it is, it could always get worse, as there there could be another "bad first" waiting for the football team in September. Grambling has added Oregon State and Mississippi State transfers on defense over the last 30 days and they will (obviously) be able to start in 2017.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... 101159080/
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... 102049928/
A loss will not surprise me... a win will be more of a shocker...speaking of Shockers, I can't wait for Tulane to get a dose of Shocker "home cooking" during the 2017 -2018 upcoming season baseball and basketball season...it is almost too blatant for words
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

We're not going to lose to Grambling.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:We're not going to lose to Grambling.
MOD's...."So let it be written"..... considering 'Zona needed the Pac12 refs to bail them out late in the game last season, this is a toss up
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
MOD's...."So let it be written"..... considering 'Zona needed the Pac12 refs to bail them out late in the game last season, this is a toss up
Care to make a wager on that? I'll give you 12 to 1 odds. If Grambling wins I'll change my sig quote to "I'm a fucking moron!" for one year. If Tulane wins you change to that sig quote for one month.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You trying to jinx us? :mrgreen:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, last season, Grambling was up 18-3 @ Arizona before QB DeVante was injured (he didn't return to the game and Grambling lost). Further, Grambling went 9-3 in 2015, lost 25 seniors off of that team, and still posted an 11-1 record in 2016. Again, just like between 2015 and 2016, Grambling has some turnover between 2016 and 2017, but it has made serious efforts to ensure that the drop off won't be as dramatic as it should be (i.e. losing 3 off of the DL but having 2 JUCO DL waiting to take their place). Just since August of last year, Grambling has added a DT from Oklahoma, a DE from Mississippi State, and a DB from Oregon State. Other P5 transfers of relevance include DB Derrick Dixon (Texas Tech), DB T'Kevian Rockwell (Baylor), S Montrel Meander (Texas; played WR at TX but converted to S for Grambling), etc. The Grambling/Tulane game will be an interesting one to follow and it is within the realm of possibility that if Tulane's offense doesn't improve from its performance in the spring game, Tulane's distinction of never having lost to FCS could be in jeopardy.
Jaxwave
Swell

No low when it comes to Tulane athletics will ever surprise me.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Well, last season, Grambling was up 18-3 @ Arizona before QB DeVante was injured (he didn't return to the game and Grambling lost). Further, Grambling went 9-3 in 2015, lost 25 seniors off of that team, and still posted an 11-1 record in 2016. Again, just like between 2015 and 2016, Grambling has some turnover between 2016 and 2017, but it has made serious efforts to ensure that the drop off won't be as dramatic as it should be (i.e. losing 3 off of the DL but having 2 JUCO DL waiting to take their place). Just since August of last year, Grambling has added a DT from Oklahoma, a DE from Mississippi State, and a DB from Oregon State. Other P5 transfers of relevance include DB Derrick Dixon (Texas Tech), DB T'Kevian Rockwell (Baylor), S Montrel Meander (Texas; played WR at TX but converted to S for Grambling), etc. The Grambling/Tulane game will be an interesting one to follow and it is within the realm of possibility that if Tulane's offense doesn't improve from its performance in the spring game, Tulane's distinction of never having lost to FCS could be in jeopardy.
I hope AJ is right, but 'Zombie brought to lite some of the reasons I think this game is a toss up...and as we all know..." there is a first time, for everything"...which brings me to the "Do Drive In" on Metry Rd...add on comment.. I called a friend who works for Davison Transport in Ruston, he tells me Grambling will most likely get at least two grad transfers at the end of the month, one of which La Tech wanted.... Davison is a major contributor to LaTech Athletics...when Benson wanted to move the Saints after Katrina and Bradshaw called him out on national television saying he and a friend would write a check for the Saints, his friend was Davison, who happens to own a few banks as well !!!
IM42lane
Swell

I did not attend any Tulane sports in 2016-2017 at all. The last time that occurred was a couple of years when I was in the Navy. Losing is wearing me out, folks.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Wavetime
Swell

I went to all the Football games and a few baseball games. I would have attended more, but I also lost interest (in attending more games) after we had our midseason run (Baseball). I will say that the Men's Basketball team did finish the season getting better and the Football team did win their last game on the road, so there is hope.

I'm just so perplexed about baseball. I guess we have no choice but to see what Jewitt can do. I hate to bring this up, but the whole Andy debacle, in my opinion, is worse then Rich Rod and Lindy Infante. The reason, he is an alum and wanted to stay. I do think both RR and LI would have won and built a base, however would have left. I don't think AC would have left. We would have had 2-3 decades of just SOLID winning!!! Sad to say, I do believe he will be the coach upriver in a few years.....

That will cause anarchy........
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I get where you are coming from but sorry there is no comparison between mistakes in THE MAJOR sport and a minor sport. Those two mistakes in football were extremely costly to the entire athletic department.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote:I get where you are coming from but sorry there is no comparison between mistakes in THE MAJOR sport and a minor sport. Those two mistakes in football were extremely costly to the entire athletic department.
+1000
DEAD HORSE WARNING!!!!
In 1997 we benefited from the Bowden family's deep roots in West Virginia by hiring a brilliant & obscure D3 Head Coach from Grand Valley State as our OC. We were the program that introduced the most transformative offense to D1 football since Emery Bellard was OC at Texas. We were also the program who hired a President who was completely ignorant/indifferent to what the football gods had graced us with.
Lindy Infante should have taken over a program in 1980 that was as complete with talent as any Tulane team ever. Hindman Wall's insistence on interviewing prospective head coaches (hiring his KSU buddy), was enough to send the cantankerous Infante on his way.
Scheme vs. Talent? I'll take talent. You can learn a scheme as evidence of the Baylor's and TCU's of the world & all schemes get caught up with eventually.
Last edited by wave97 on Sat May 27, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
I hope AJ is right, but 'Zombie brought to lite some of the reasons I think this game is a toss up...and as we all know..." there is a first time, for everything"...which brings me to the "Do Drive In" on Metry Rd...add on comment.. I called a friend who works for Davison Transport in Ruston, he tells me Grambling will most likely get at least two grad transfers at the end of the month, one of which La Tech wanted.... Davison is a major contributor to LaTech Athletics...when Benson wanted to move the Saints after Katrina and Bradshaw called him out on national television saying he and a friend would write a check for the Saints, his friend was Davison, who happens to own a few banks as well !!!
I wish the Saints had left & I won't be surprised if we lose to Grambling.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I get where you are coming from but sorry there is no comparison between mistakes in THE MAJOR sport and a minor sport. Those two mistakes in football were extremely costly to the entire athletic department.
I wouldn't call baseball a "minor" sport at LSU, Rice, Stanford, TCU, Vandy, Miss St, Ark, Miami or Tulane.
LSU and others have spent more money on baseball facilities and coaching salaries then in their basketball programs. And many more are investing millions in that sport you call "minor".
Baseball at Tulane has been "Major" in all the years I've been following. If only the same could be said for the other two sports.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It is a minor NCAA sport thus the 11.7 scholarships . I know we love it and follow it but it couldn't transform the athletic department like football and basketball success can.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:It is a minor NCAA sport thus the 11.7 scholarships . I know we love it and follow it but it couldn't transform the athletic department like football and basketball success can.
The number of scholarships has nothing to do with major or minor sport - ladies soccer has 25, volleyball and WBB have 15, track has 18, tennis has 8 for an 8 person team.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:It is a minor NCAA sport thus the 11.7 scholarships . I know we love it and follow it but it couldn't transform the athletic department like football and basketball success can.
The number of scholarships has nothing to do with major or minor sport - ladies soccer has 25, volleyball and WBB have 15, track has 18, tennis has 8 for an 8 person team.

It is a minor NCAA sport. The only two major sports are football and Men's basketball. This shouldn't even have to be discussed. The women's sports get those numbers b/c of title 9. Thus the minor men's sports get shorted.
wave97
Swell

Baseball players have the luxury of entry into the professional ranks without compulsory NCAA participation. NFL talent is served up to them at no cost.
Wave755
Tsunami

I can say I was encouraged after having learned Michael Fitts was willing to pay the "prevailing wage" for a Div. 1 football coach. Willie Fritz makes 1.2 million a year which is a reasonable salary for an AAC new hire. I will never forget when within days of his hiring I learned Scelfo had agreed to 350K a year and this was a consideration to Cowen for his hire. The message from Cowen was plain that he wanted someone "cheap who would stay" and Tulane had no intention of making an investment or building upon its magnificent 1998 season. Contrary to what arrogant Northeastern academics think, people aren't stupid.

For athletics since forever Tulane has operated on a "something for nothing philosophy," Cowen continued this sad "philosophy" in spades. Self imposed academic restrictions have also greatly harmed our program, leading many to ask whether Tulane wants to compete at Div. 1 or not? Cowen seems to have desired to run a Div. 3 program at Div. 1 and when this model failed terribly, a humiliated Cowen tried to end football at Tulane.

I still have hope a "Philly Guy" like Fitts will lead us back to respectability and perhaps will prove to be the first Tulane president since Francis Sheldon Hackney to actually care about winning athletics at Tulane. Both Eamon Kelly & Scott Cowen viewed Div. 1 athletics at Tulane as a "burden," an anachronism from when Tulane's student body was predominately from New Orleans & Louisiana and Tulane was truly the "home team."

I love Tulane baseball, but in regard to the only 2 sports that count, football & Men's Basketball, the jury is still out for the Michael Fitts era.